HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalie controversy - Winter Classic edition

View Poll Results: From a fan's perspective, Bryz or Bob for the Winter Classic?
Bryzgalov 29 31.87%
Bobrosky 62 68.13%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-01-2012, 03:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Between Bob and Bryz, no one's hiding anything.

By the way, it's been funny watching so many people pull a complete 180 on Bryzgalov in a few short weeks. Everyone felt bad for him after he was lost in the woods, then he was such a glorious personality when 24/7 started, now he's the scum of the earth. Generally the same people who couldn't wait for Jeff Carter and Mike Richards to **** off.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 03:30 PM
JonnyGaloshes

vCash: 500
I don't care who goatlends, just do it well.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 03:42 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post

By the way, it's been funny watching so many people pull a complete 180 on Bryzgalov in a few short weeks. Everyone felt bad for him after he was lost in the woods, then he was such a glorious personality when 24/7 started, now he's the scum of the earth. Generally the same people who couldn't wait for Jeff Carter and Mike Richards to **** off.
I agree with you. He's only been here 2-3 months and people are whippin out the torches. that said i do want to win, that will always be the number one start of any problems with anybody.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 03:45 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

Most people here hoped Bryzgalov would be great despite knowing his numbers wouldn't be as good as in Phoenix.

Then people were entertained by his personality.

Most were entertained by him enough to avoid the obvious issues for a while.

Now they're just starting to get fed up with it.

Honestly, it's not the same people that told Carter and Richards to **** off. Carter and Richards did their jobs very well and were here far longer. Bryzgalov is making tons of money, that we could be spending elsewhere to make this team better, all the while making this team worse.

On top of that, he's doing a job that we could get Leighton to do at a semi-coherent level. At least we wouldn't be paying a starter money to someone who is just riding on the coattails of the team in front of him.

We paid that money to avoid the very situation we are in right now. Wise investment? Clearly not.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 03:54 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:

By the way, it's been funny watching so many people pull a complete 180 on Bryzgalov in a few short weeks
. Everyone felt bad for him after he was lost in the woods, then he was such a glorious personality when 24/7 started, now he's the scum of the earth. Generally the same people who couldn't wait for Jeff Carter and Mike Richards to **** off.
It's not news for Flyers HF boards

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Flyerfan4life

maybe Lavis text to Homer yest. was more accurate/telling then first thought..

about wanting to resign "Little"...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 04:01 PM
s3x

Quote:

I felt anything but sorry for Bryzgalov when he was lost in the woods. I felt sorry for the players playing in front of him. And scum of the earth? Exaggerate much? I don't think anyone wanted to see Bryzgalov play this poorly. His personality is different. Fine. But how about he focuses less on the media and a tad more on improving his game? Lets forget that he had no right to tell anyone that he wasn't starting tomorrow, and focus on the fact that he goaded the media into letting him vent publicly about his frustrations. All while joking about his wasted equipment being sold to recoup money lost after signing a $51 million, 9 year contract with a NMC.

I didn't want to see Richards or Carter leave. But I understood the moves. I hope Bryzgalov can improve both mentally and physically and start stopping pucks. I believe he can still be a good goalie for us, and I hope he finds whatever it is he is looking for. I couldn't care less about his thoughts on the Universe. Although they provide entertainment value, I'd much rather see him play well. We're not paying him to hear him talk.

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 04:05 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Told you guys he was a bum.

Come on BOB! Big money, no whammys!

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Prongo
Beer

I'm a supporter of Bryz, but he needs to play better. BOB is playing with the same players in front of him and has put up great number recently. Bob has earned the start and Let Bryz get himself back into a great goalie. I don't feel sorry for Bryz, he needs to pick up his own game, especially when your GM calls you out and says it himself.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 04:24 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

Never liked this deal, never liked the Pronger deal, absolutely hated the Richards and Carter deals.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

You go with who is working.

A game like this? No brainer.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Most people here hoped Bryzgalov would be great despite knowing his numbers wouldn't be as good as in Phoenix.

Then people were entertained by his personality.

Most were entertained by him enough to avoid the obvious issues for a while.

Now they're just starting to get fed up with it.

Honestly, it's not the same people that told Carter and Richards to **** off. Carter and Richards did their jobs very well and were here far longer. Bryzgalov is making tons of money, that we could be spending elsewhere to make this team better, all the while making this team worse.

On top of that, he's doing a job that we could get Leighton to do at a semi-coherent level. At least we wouldn't be paying a starter money to someone who is just riding on the coattails of the team in front of him.

We paid that money to avoid the very situation we are in right now. Wise investment? Clearly not.
Yes it is the same. The "finally we got a goalie" people who didn't care he got a life-time contract and have already bailed.

The larger stage is basically amateur hour in that regard, which is who I'm referring to. But people couldn't wait to see Bryzgalov sound bites on 24/7, and just as quick as they're tickled pink, now can't wait for him to fly away on whatever UFO brought him in. That's not to say everyone, I know some people didn't like him from the start, but basically off the ice people got almost everything they wanted and didn't like it, so now he's become a team cancer in the way Carter and Richards were branded.

Old
01-01-2012, 05:26 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Yes it is the same. The "finally we got a goalie" people who didn't care he got a life-time contract and have already bailed.

The larger stage is basically amateur hour in that regard, which is who I'm referring to. But people couldn't wait to see Bryzgalov sound bites on 24/7, and just as quick as they're tickled pink, now can't wait for him to fly away on whatever UFO brought him in. That's not to say everyone, I know some people didn't like him from the start, but basically off the ice people got almost everything they wanted and didn't like it, so now he's become a team cancer in the way Carter and Richards were branded.
You've been one of Bryz's biggest defenders from the start, so this post doesn't surprise me in the least.

I came from the camp who hated the deal from day one and had serious questions about whether or not he was truly an upgrade over Bob. I stated as much on here repeatedly. I still hoped my opinion would be wrong though and wanted him to succeed.

Over time, it has become increasingly evident that this might never happen. That he might actually be an average goalie and that Bob might in fact be the better guy, both now and certainly in the future as Bob is still improving.

That being said, I don't "hate" Bryz. He seems like a nice guy. He was offered a gigantic contract by our handcuffed GF (Thanks, Snider!!!!) and he signed it. And now he plays here. I don't blame him for that. I blame Snider. Owners getting involved (Al Davis, Jerry Jones, etc.) never ends up working out well for a franchise.

I can separate the player from the person, and that's what I try to do in this case. I think the player is overpaid, lazy @ times w/ his positioning, lacks confidence, and is an overall basket case. And I dislike him as a player. I think he should have the positioning down and there's no excuses for some of the careless mistakes he has made.

I think the person is a hilarious family man who really cares about his wife and his kids and his job. I also think he's really spiritual / emotional and needs to speak his mind.

I loved Bryzgalov on 24/7 because he was witty / funny and all of his interactions w/ the team were positive. From jabbing Harry Z by insinuating that he should have sex w/ Bryz's Siberian Huskie b/c it's Harry Z's "type" to sitting next to Jagr, forcing him to move, to discussing the universe, everyone was smiling, laughing, and having a good time and it was helping to endear his to a somewhat new locker room full of people. It was building relationships.

But this latest interaction is completely unacceptable and selfish. Bryz is a smart guy that regularly reads higher level philosophy books. He knows what he is / isn't supposed to say to the media. So even if he was trying to be funny w/ this latest quote, he knew he was supposed to stay quiet till Peter made it official.

I have a problem w/ this latest interaction b/c it was incredibly selfish and petty on Bryz's part and hurts the team and hurts his image among teammates rather than building cohesiveness and trust in the locker room.

By telling the media you aren't starting, then kind of whining about it, not only have you given the Rags a slight edge for the game tomorrow knowing who to prepare for, but you've violated your coaches' trust, your teammates' trust, and you've come off looking like you think you playing in the WC is more important than giving the team the best chance to win the WC.

Bryz should apologize for this and attempt to bury the hatchet ASAP before it gets any worse.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

The support that is shown in those player quotes seems to indicate he isn't a cancer, if they can be trusted

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:30 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
I was surprised to see Bob gets the start, since the spotlight was on Bryzgalov all the way for the HBO thing. Hmm, why not split the game?

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:33 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The support that is shown in those player quotes seems to indicate he isn't a cancer, if they can be trusted

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Flyersfan139

@bryzgoalie30
My thermos

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Hextall4GM

While Bryz might not be an upgrade over Bob, Bob/Bryz is certainly an upgrade over Bob/Leighton or Leighton/Boucher.

As a go forward point, the only logical solution is to let them duel it out. Bobrovsky is the go-to guy right now and if he cools off or has a bad game Brygalov will get his chance again. To keep giving Bryz the reigns would be counter-productive to say the least.

Also, Bryz is handling this ok as far as I am concerned and doubt that leaking the starter will be scrutinized as much by the club as it has been on here.

He's neen terrible, no doubt about it, bit I still see him redeeming himself before the end of the season.

Hextall4GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:43 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Bryz is the inverse of Pronger. Pronger tries to be humorous, so he can say the least possible. Bryz tries to be humorous to say the most.

But I am happy Bobo is starting. It sends a message to Bryz that his play isn't up to snuff, gives Bobo confidence that he can still earn the #1 position if need be and gives us the best chance to win.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:44 PM
s3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
@bryzgoalie30
My thermos

What a joke. Take the game seriously for a change.

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
You've been one of Bryz's biggest defenders from the start, so this post doesn't surprise me in the least.
Only in the sense that I haven't **** all over him given any possible opportunity. Other than that, you should go back and re-read some posts before you tell me what I think.

Old
01-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I'm not about to bash him for joking. Its perfectly possible to be serious and have a sense of humor. However, potentially telling the opponent who is starting in net well in advance is obnoxious. While you're at it, why not let them know who is hurt/sore, and where, so the rangers know where to hit guys?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Come on guys.

People bash players for being to corporate, and educated with every single response in the media, that it becomes like a endless loop of cliche after cliche.

Yet bryz comes along, and hes a walking talking, personality machine, and he tries to kid around, and some people hate that?.

Especially after so many people basically beg for players to NOT say the cliche stuff to the media.

talk about a double standard.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I say bryz just so we dont have to deal with the goalie controversy on national television again..
Hockey decisions should be made made based on hockey, not on prospective television reports.

It's a convenient thing to talk about, but it's not really a "controversy". I'm a Leafs fan, so I only know too well how goalie issues can be discussed to death.

However - this isn't controversy for me at all; as someone who has enjoyed the HBO series, I would love to see Bryz play. But one goalie is winning right now, and the other isn't, and more than anything else tomorrow might be an occasion and a celebration and fun and cool, but it's a HUGE game as far as the standings go so you go with the hot hand.

Bob.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Come on guys.

People bash players for being to corporate, and educated with every single response in the media, that it becomes like a endless loop of cliche after cliche.

Yet bryz comes along, and hes a walking talking, personality machine, and he tries to kid around, and some people hate that?.

Especially after so many people basically beg for players to NOT say the cliche stuff to the media.

talk about a double standard.
Its fine if he was playing well and joking around. Right now he has been really bad and still is joking around. The fans arent going to love a guy who isnt playing well and doesnt seem serious. He might be joking, but there are times to joke and times to not.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote