HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Goalie controversy - Winter Classic edition

View Poll Results: From a fan's perspective, Bryz or Bob for the Winter Classic?
Bryzgalov 29 31.87%
Bobrosky 62 68.13%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Its fine if he was playing well and joking around. Right now he has been really bad and still is joking around. The fans arent going to love a guy who isnt playing well and doesnt seem serious. He might be joking, but there are times to joke and times to not.
Some people deal with criticism differently.

One person might be depressed, another might be fired up, and bryz situation clearly want's to put a lighter spin on it.

I see nothing wrong with what he did.

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:11 PM
flyersguy33*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm not about to bash him for joking. Its perfectly possible to be serious and have a sense of humor. However, potentially telling the opponent who is starting in net well in advance is obnoxious. While you're at it, why not let them know who is hurt/sore, and where, so the rangers know where to hit guys?
Do you seriously believe that? If so,

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
Do you seriously believe that? If so,
You're right! It's not like teams study film or anything, and love to know which goalie to focus on.

That's sarcasm, by the way.

01-01-2012, 05:35 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
You're right! It's not like teams study film or anything, and love to know which goalie to focus on.

That's sarcasm, by the way.
yea, because they have never played against either goalie before and dont know the tendencies of either goalie. Sorry but what you said is laughable

Old
01-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
yea, because they have never played against either goalie before and dont know the tendencies of either goalie. Sorry but what you said is laughable
They've seen more of bryz than they have of bob lately. I'm sure tortorella and Co. are all quite pleased to know which goalie they should be studying more, instead of focusing on both. There's no such thing as being too prepared, and bryz has potentially helped the rangers prepare. That's not laughable, that's just stupid on his part.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:42 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
They've seen more of bryz than they have of bob lately. I'm sure tortorella and Co. are all quite pleased to know which goalie they should be studying more, instead of focusing on both. There's no such thing as being too prepared, and bryz has potentially helped the rangers prepare. That's not laughable, that's just stupid on his part.
you are strongly over reacting. Its really not that big of a deal.

Old
01-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
you are strongly over reacting. Its really not that big of a deal.
Any time a player does anything that could be beneficial to the other team I strongly dislike it.

Old
01-01-2012, 05:52 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

He should know his audience. Bad comic.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:35 PM
n62

Bryz has no idea what he is doing. Philly fans are going to destroy him. Don't worry about the NMC, any money says he winds up demanding a trade within the next two years. Emotionally fragile.

n62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:10 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by n62 View Post
Bryz has no idea what he is doing. Philly fans are going to destroy him. Don't worry about the NMC, any money says he winds up demanding a trade within the next two years. Emotionally fragile.
It's funny cause Bob just has to sit back, play well and say nothing while Bryz destructs. But as for him demanding a trade, what do you think the market would be for him? In 2 years he'll be 33 and he's a major flake.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Keep in mind that assuming the NHL gets a new CBA for the start of the season, and most of the rules stay the same, Bob's cap hit will default back to his base salary. $850K is a lot more palatable for your backup goalie regardless of whether or not he's the best goalie on the team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:32 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Coyotes fan here. I knew Bryz was a bit off of course but he seems to be getting worse. Has he had one of those games where you know in the first couple minutes he's completely not there? Then he proceeds to give up 4 or 5 before the coach finally yanks him? You could always tell right away if he was taking the night off mentally.

That being said, here's my favorite Bryz commercial:
http://video.coyotes.nhl.com/videoce...nsole?id=25280

Bring back Pierre!!!

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Coyotes fan here. I knew Bryz was a bit off of course but he seems to be getting worse. Has he had one of those games where you know in the first couple minutes he's completely not there? Then he proceeds to give up 4 or 5 before the coach finally yanks him? You could always tell right away if he was taking the night off mentally.

That being said, here's my favorite Bryz commercial:
http://video.coyotes.nhl.com/videoce...nsole?id=25280

Bring back Pierre!!!
He's had several of those games.

Old
01-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Kaktus*

He does not act like adult. Homer better have a serious conversation with this guy. Lingerie, thermos? Is everything a joke? It ain't cute no more. He is making an idiot out of him self and he does not even know. I appreciate personality, not clown.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:48 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
He's had several of those games.
His last year here he had very few until the playoffs and he got peppered with shots every night. In fact, he seemed to be better the more shots he faced. I remember commenting to my buddy at the game (I'm a STH. Yes there are a few of us in AZ) several times last year that he wasn't having those types of games. Maybe it was because it was a contract year but he was solid and our MVP last season. Belanger was our #1 center! We were NOT good but still had a decent record and made the playoffs mostly because of Bryz.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:12 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
He does not act like adult. Homer better have a serious conversation with this guy. Lingerie, thermos? Is everything a joke? It ain't cute no more. He is making an idiot out of him self and he does not even know. I appreciate personality, not clown.
Lol. If he was playing better you know you'd love that crap.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:18 PM
JonnyGaloshes

Quote:
@bryzgoalie30
bryzgoalie30
My thermos pic.twitter.com/lBAb8NBm
lolol

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Kingurentai

Mostly neutral observer here (Kings fan).

I think someone else mentioned it but he got too caught up in the HBO thing. And I don't really think that's all his fault. When he did the universe thing, I am certain he had no idea it was going to get as much hype as it did. It seems to have snowballed.

Yes, this guy has been playing on the world stage since his youth. And yeah he may have gotten some youtube laughs here and there in the past. But recently he has been one of the main characters in the NHL media since "the universe". His family is involved too and that must add to the stress. And today's interview, you know I didn't think it was that bad. But sure enough, NHL network is acting like the friggin E network or Entertainment Tonight and making it a bigger issue than it is.

Bryz is a special goalie and I don't mean short bus special. I know because he had the Kings on lock many games and played beyond brilliant. Have some faith in your players guys. Even if they're "weirdness" is portrayed much weirder than they really are.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:24 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm at the point now where I cringe every time he opens his mouth.

Old
01-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Still think it is stupid but I would tolerate
Everything he says annoys me.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:43 PM
mypunkrock

I could see Bryx being so wacky as a tactic. He already has the spotlight on him because he is a goalie in Philadelphia, and is kind of nutty as it is. It takes the pressure off of everyone else (think Pronger during the Cup finals). Now admittedly, people would care less if Bryz was playing better, but the second half is that Bob just doesn't talk to the media very much.

More things for a fanbase to get riled up over for no reason, since they have zero control over it.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:05 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
I could see Bryx being so wacky as a tactic. He already has the spotlight on him because he is a goalie in Philadelphia, and is kind of nutty as it is. It takes the pressure off of everyone else (think Pronger during the Cup finals). Now admittedly, people would care less if Bryz was playing better, but the second half is that Bob just doesn't talk to the media very much.

More things for a fanbase to get riled up over for no reason, since they have zero control over it.
Pronger wanted the attention on himself. He craves the spotlight and Bryz seems to be the same way, but without the results so far.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:10 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Pronger wanted the attention on himself. He craves the spotlight and Bryz seems to be the same way, but without the results so far.
I don't disagree, but I think the situations are slightly different. That said, the outcomes, so far, have not been.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Mota

I think starting Bob is a mistake.

For better or for worse, they are invested in Bryz, and they need to give him a chance to be the goalie they thought they signed. The Winter Classic is a great opportunity for him to turn it around and for the organization to see what they have because its a BIG game, but one they can lose. If they don't trust him in the WC, how are they gonna trust him in a game at the end of the year that could have the division on the line? I know he has some rough games, especially of late...but he still is an elite goalie and I think a game like tomorrow could allow him to step up and show how he is in big games. Worst case scenario? He does bad and they lose...but at least they can work whatever it is out now and not find out come April or beyond.

The other thing I don't like about it is the whole "goalie controversy" aspect. I think for the most part, especially in this town, controversies are a product of the media...and by putting Bob in tomorrow you have the wolves like Timmy P and Lisa Hilary licking their lips waiting to blow this way out of proportion. They are putting unnecessary pressure on both guys by making this move. I mean what if Bob has a bad game? Then you have two goalies without confidence because anything involving this game is going to magnified in the media. And if he does well...then Lavy is going to have to keep riding Bob until he screws up, and then you have the carousel all over again.

It's in the Flyers best interest to have Bryz as their guy and avoid the mess they had last year. I am all for having the best guy in net, but even though Bob has been good, I dont think he has been great enough to justify giving up on your 51 million dollar goalie. Bryz at his best is better than Bob at his best right now, so Bryz is who they need to work on. He already showed he can play well like he did on their win streak, and that was not even him at his best. I think with all this WC and HBO stuff out of the way Bryz will buckle down and focus back into being the guy...I just think starting Bob tomorrow is gonna make that more difficult by adding to off ice distraction.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Brozgalov

My take on Bryz:

Bryzgalov is a great goaltender that may be "lost in the woods," but he will regain his greatness in time. I think there are many problems, but they all root from one simple fact; he went from playing on the Coyotes to playing for the Flyers. The last few seasons he played for a team that would score 1 or 2 and shut the game down defensively for the remainder of the game. Whether they won or lost, at times they played with 4-5 defensemen and played well. Not only that, they gave up a ton of outside shots and didn't block as many shots as the Flyers do. (I understand this is coming from someone who has seen a limited number of Coyotes games, so please forgive me)

You take that goalie and throw him on a team that plays lightning speed North/South hockey at a high pace and gives up chances when they fail to get the puck through the neutral zone... pinching D-men etc etc etc... you have guys trying to block shots with every part of their body including their sticks.

My point is... it's going to take time for him to adjust to our play style. He is an elite goalie, and his size is a major factor. The Coyotes fan who posted here said it best... He is just not reacting to 2nd chance opportunities like he should be. He seems to go down into the butterfly and he doesn't raise his glove or blocker at all. This to me is all about confidence... When you are feeling confident as an athlete you give that extra 25% that Bryz just can't give right now. I don't blame him, as he was thrown into a crazy situation with a new team with new faces, a grueling team system and Tim Panotchio in your face every 3 minutes.

Seriously... People are criticizing Bryzgalov for the things he says, but really the questions he gets asked are the dumbest questions you could ask. There is a reason the Russian interviews are much better.. they don't ask dumb **** we already know.

Example: Panotchio asks Bryz about the first goal in NYR game on Tuesday... Bryz says its a tough goal but there wasn't much anyone could do with him deflecting it from such a far out angle. Panotchio follows up with "well do you think the D could have done more?"... Bryz: "Sure I guess they could box them out more, but he was already 10 feet out so I don't know..."

Now a logical person would say what Bryz said.... he was honest and was just trying to answer a question that shouldn't even be asked... What results? I get a tweet from Panotchio with a story.. "Bryzgalov throws Defense under the bus"

He doesn't have to deal with the "pressure" of Philadelphia fans... he deals with the pressure of Philadelphia media who day in and day out do not represent the fans. Some of them are great guys, and others are just jackasses.

As for all the humor and philosophy that Bryzgalov brings to the table... I am tired of hearing about how he is a nut job and "goalies are just weird." I think he is perfectly normal and the stuff he says comes off much more strange because of his broken English. The things he's said about the Universe are true... it just took him 20 minutes to explain his thought. The bit on the Chinese Tiger death penalty was not even that funny and any person could say that..

All that being said... (I know too long...) I think making Bobrovsky the starter was the smartest thing Lavvy could have done to get Bryz back on his game. Once he is "playing for his life," he will regain his former self and everyone will shut their mouths. He will be able to steal games again, the team will be confident in him, and he will be confident in himself. Sure bad games will always happen, but one good stretch of games should do wonders for him... It's a longggg way off from the playoffs right now.

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote