HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SCP Game 2| New York Islanders @ Washington Capitals | 4/17/15 | 7:00 PM | F/L 4-3

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2015, 07:45 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
SCP Game 2| New York Islanders @ Washington Capitals | 4/17/15 | 7:00 PM | F/L 4-3

One More Time!

Preview

All time series record:
The Capitals lead 111-108-13 with a 3.1 GFPGA While the Islanders are averaging 3.3 GFPGA. Islanders all time @ Washington are 50-59-11 with a 3.1 GFPGA the
Capitals are averaging 3.2 GFPGA at home in the series.

Playoff Record:
The Islanders lead 19-12-0 with a 3.3 GFPGA while the Capitals are averaging 2.9 GFPGA.

1st meeting results: http://espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400790524
Video:

Stumbling into the playoffs had no negative impact on the New York Islanders, just as heading in on a pretty impressive roll didn't mean much to the Washington Capitals.

The Capitals didn't sound overly concerned with their Game 1 loss, but a similar performance on home ice Friday night could leave them in an 0-2 hole before heading to what figures to be a raucous Nassau Coliseum.

Washington went 9-3-1 in its last 13 games to vault from a wild-card berth to having home-ice advantage against New York, but it took just 60 minutes for that edge to disappear Wednesday. Brock Nelson opened the scoring 6:06 into the game and later added an empty-netter to give the Islanders -- who went 4-7-3 in their last 14 -- a 4-1 win.

"We knew coming in here we'd have to play a good, hard road game," John Tavares told the league's official website. "Anytime you're able to take the first one, you want to build on it and obviously take advantage of the next one. It was a good start for us."

The Islanders did well to stay away from the penalty box against the league's top power play, taking just a pair of two-minute minors after giving the Capitals only nine opportunities with the man advantage while going 2-1-1 in the regular season.

Washington had 11 giveaways while only producing five from New York, which was the Eastern Conference's worst team in that category (11.3 per game).

"We know they are really good in the neutral zone, and we didn't manage the puck very well," Capitals defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "... If you turn the puck over against them, they are a really good team in transition. They made us pay a few times."

Now the Islanders have a chance to go back to Long Island, where they're playing out their final season before moving to Brooklyn, with their first 2-0 lead since they swept Edmonton in the 1983 Stanley Cup Final.

Washington might find it difficult to even the series if it spends a similar amount of time at 5-on-5. The Islanders registered an NHL-best 49.9 shot attempts per game in that situation during the season and produced 55 in Game 1 to the Capitals' 47.

Those shots also came from considerably closer to Braden Holtby than Washington's did to Jaroslav Halak. New York's average attempt came from 43 feet out -- nine closer than a typical Capitals attempt.

"We never got sustained pressure on their 'D,'" Caps forward Brooks Laich said. "We want to get pucks in the corner, where their (defensemen) have to turn and go back and get it. They're not that big on the back end and we're big on the walls, so we want to use that size to our advantage. It has to be done for us to win the series."

The Islanders have scored at least three goals in their last seven games, and Tavares has led the way with four goals and nine assists. His assist on Ryan Strome's goal in Game 1 was his 15th point (eight goals) in his last 12 against Washington.

Tavares didn't register a shot on net Wednesday while Alex Ovechkin had eight, but the Capitals were discouraged at their inability to get the league's leading goal scorer any particularly good passes.

"We're going to have to be a lot sharper. That goes right through the whole lineup," coach Barry Trotz said. "I thought from our top guys to our role players, there wasn't too many sharp guys."

Ovechkin has gone seven straight postseason games without a goal and six in a row without a point. The Capitals have played 17 consecutive playoff contests without scoring more than three goals.

"We've got to give (our fans) something better to cheer about," Laich said.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday

http://islanders.nhl.com/

Last game highlights.

Tonight's game preview.

Last edited by MattMartin: 04-16-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old
04-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Come out flying and composed.

04-16-2015, 08:01 PM
LedPipe02
#FreePulock

C'mon boys take a 2-0 lead to the NVMC!

Old
04-16-2015, 08:11 PM
YearlyLottery

Going up 2-0 back home would be absolutely HUGE. Gotta take this one period by period and expect the Caps to come out FLYING!

Old
04-16-2015, 08:18 PM
TROLLPOSO
Brian Strait SUCKS!

Lets see the Oct/Nov 2014 Isles play again tomorrow night.

LGI!

Old
04-16-2015, 08:30 PM
StrongIslanders90

We punched them in the gut in game one. Now let's stick a dagger in thier heart by going up 2-0 on the series!!!

If we find a way to win this game it would be HUGE coming back home up 2-0

Old
04-16-2015, 08:37 PM
NYI JT91

2-0 would be awesome. If isles win tomorrow I'm
Buying tickets to game 4. LGI !!!

Old
04-16-2015, 09:54 PM
MarsTBOW

Knowing what a Tactition Trotz is,
Expect a desperate team coming out hitting hard....

Old
04-16-2015, 10:00 PM
BMOK33

Anyone know why we've been practicing at Annapolis and not at the VC? I wonder if the arena simply has not had time availability for more than one team to practice or its just the Caps trying to make things harder on the road team.

Old
04-16-2015, 10:12 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Can't wait for this one, driving down to DC early in the morning, I have been to hundreds of home games, but I have never seen the Isles play on the road. Anyone been to the verizon center before? Any tips? Places to go for drinks/food?

Old
04-16-2015, 10:21 PM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
Anyone know why we've been practicing at Annapolis and not at the VC? I wonder if the arena simply has not had time availability for more than one team to practice or its just the Caps trying to make things harder on the road team.
I'm pretty sure the Capitals don't practice at the Verizon Center either. Annapolis is not far from D.C. at all, maybe a half hour, so it's not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Can't wait for this one, driving down to DC early in the morning, I have been to hundreds of home games, but I have never seen the Isles play on the road. Anyone been to the verizon center before? Any tips? Places to go for drinks/food?
I went to my first game their earlier this year. There is no parking that I'm aware of, so find a parking garage beforehand if you can. There are plenty of food options within walking distance, but the arena food wasn't great (better than the Coliseum, but it was much much worse than the Wells Fargo Center if you've ever been there). Pretty sure there is a 5 Guys nearby if you want something like that.

It's a pretty quiet arena, except when that horn goes off during play. The sight-lines were really good upstairs, at least behind the goals.

Old
04-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

For those going, pics, pics, pics!!!

Please!

Old
04-16-2015, 10:39 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

can't wait to get there! Homeland, will definitely try to grab a few shots

Old
04-16-2015, 10:40 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Honestly, The Green Turtle.

Someone else mentioned it earlier but when I visited it was awesome. It's inside the building.

Old
04-17-2015, 12:17 AM
Saunamakkara

I'm so excited...

Another win, thanks. I would be fantastic to go to the NVMC with 0-2 lead. My skin goes goosebumps when I think about the atmosphere in the Old Barn...

Old
04-17-2015, 02:45 AM
Skala24
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsTBOW View Post
Knowing what a Tactition Trotz is,
Expect a desperate team coming out hitting hard....
exactly, hope no injuries on our side after this game

Old
04-17-2015, 04:35 AM
crasherino

Quote:
Youre basically in Chinatown there so there are tons of places to eat - Chinese and otherwise. Not sure where you're staying but don't bother to drive - it's conveniently located on the Metro - red line.

Old
04-17-2015, 05:07 AM
simbo042

It was a great show in Game 1, just roll that energy and approach into Game 2 and we stand a good shot of taking a grip on this series. Worst comes to the worst, we have a split to start the series and some noisy home games to take a lead...

Washington will come out stronger this time round but if we can keep up the 5v5 play we can neutralise the PP, one of their bigger weapons and keep this thing rolling!

Old
04-17-2015, 05:13 AM
camper

This series is all about the GRIND...if 4 lines grind it our we win

Expect a long night for small d-pairings

Old
04-17-2015, 06:14 AM
NYIsles55
PWJunior jr.

I'm having Mexican for lunch and dinner. Your welcome.

Let's Go Islanders!

Old
04-17-2015, 06:17 AM
GiveDWrightskates

Looks great as always MM, but just thought I would mention that it has OV listed as having a goal. Hopefully we won't need to see that stat for at least a few more games

Old
04-17-2015, 06:48 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

IMO game one was about our defense including our forwards being very responsible in our own end. All three lines got on the scoresheet also, its important for that to continue, hoping the 4th line gets in gear...for the first time in awhile i like how all 4 of the forward lines are put together and we have insulated JT with two of our best defensive wingers.

LGI....Hammer get well soon! We need you buddy.

Only need 15 more wins Isles

Last edited by CaptDenisPotvin: 04-17-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old
04-17-2015, 07:09 AM
OkpoTavanek

Taking home a 2-0 series, to this building, with these fans.... Is like waving a piece of steak in front of a 225 pound pitbull.

This is a game you lay down for. Block shots. Sacrifice your body. This becomes a stranglehold at 2-0. Would be just huge for this organization and fanbase. Play our game and well win.

Old
04-17-2015, 07:19 AM
BroadwayJay
CORSI Commander

Shouldn't there be a shoutout in here for our Long Island meetup?

Old
04-17-2015, 07:22 AM
Knish Of The Crease

Let's get this one!

Isles 9
Capitals 1

Closed Thread