HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any Love Left for Reimer?

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2011, 04:34 AM
mulebreath

vCash: 500
Why aren't these guys competing for the job, like a normal team would handle it? Wilson looks like he's trying to force the #1 on Reimer instead of going with the hot hand. Gus was at the top of his game when Reimer came back and any normal coach, with a goalie playing that well, would change it up immediately after a game in which Reimer struggles. Wilson has bungled the hack out of this.

Old
12-30-2011, 05:23 AM
Paris in Flames

I'm not saying I think Reimer sucks or anything but the simple fact is that Gustavsson has been the better goalie this season.

No. I don't want more stats thrown at me. They're not black and white. Quality of opponent, quality of scoring chances against etc. I've seen Gustavsson allow 5 goals and still be easily the best Leaf on the ice.

Old
12-30-2011, 06:30 AM
LetzgoEggo

This is turning into a Boston type situation. They should play the hot goalie between Reim and the monster. Make it a competition.

Old
12-30-2011, 06:55 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Why do we blame the goalie for the rest of the teams stupidity .

What ****ing teams keep pinching and taking chances when there up by 2 halfway through the 3rd ?
This needs to be 'stickied'.

In the system that Wilson has implemented, with the horrendous defensive play from all skaters, there is not a single goalie who would succeed here.

Goaltending is FAAARRRRRRRRRR from the problem. I understand how easy it is for basic fans to jump on this excuse, but people need to look at the bigger picture.

Last edited by Yosho: 12-30-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old
12-30-2011, 07:22 AM
Man Bear Pig

When a team plays well usually the goalie does too. Look at the team last year, when they played well defensively Reimer looked great. Too many defensive lapses this season, too much pinching like we saw last night. Why is Aulie pinching with a 2 goal lead in the third? there's a difference between aggressive play and stupidity. You should never give up 2 goal leads in this league with that much time left. Ever.

Old
12-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
This needs to be 'stickied'.

In the system that Wilson has implemented, with the horrendous defensive play from all skaters, there is not a single goalie who would succeed here.

Goaltending is FAAARRRRRRRRRR from the problem. I understand how easy it is for basic fans to jump on this excuse, but people need to look at the bigger picture.
I've said multiple times that the piss poor defense is a huge issue and reimer has been victimized for a lot of goals that he had no chance to stop - but looking that proper picture you have to admit that reimer bears a lot of fault as well.

We made defensive miscues on all of the goals, yeah. But none of them were so bad that reimer had no chance at stopping them.

The first and second goals were meh. The third and fourth were absolutely stoppable, and a good goalie will bail your defence out when they make those mistakes (the fourth goal wasn't even a mistake by the way).

Old
12-30-2011, 08:37 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I think he'll be fine in the long run. Goalies go through these ups/downs. He's had some really good games, and he's also had some questionable ones.

The guys still 23-years-old. He still has a lot of learning to do at the pro level, and growing pains are expected (take a look at Carey Price's second season). This is what you get when you have a young goalie behind a young team. The hope is he builds on his faults and is better for it in the long run. He's capable.

Honestly though, as much as Reimer has to be better the team has to be smarter with whoever is in net. If you have a 3-1 lead and a goalie who's possibly a bit fragile mentally right now... don't let one of the leagues best #1 centers have a breakaway with under 10 minutes to go..that's just common sense..

It's unfortunate the game vs. Carolina worked out the way it did because I think a win would have went a long way for him. At least from a stat perspective, he had a pretty good one before the lead was blown.

Last edited by John-Eric Iannicello: 12-30-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old
12-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Dayjobdave

Reimer may still be battling the effects of the concussion a bit. Not enough to keep him out of the game, but enough to sometimes make it difficult to stop NHL shots. He hasn't looked himself yet.

I believe he will be fine, but I also don't believe he has shown 'true number 1' NHL stuff yet, either has Gus.

Gus played well toward the end of Reimer's absence and I'd try to work him in to a few more games, but I'm prepared to leave it up to the professionals to decide.

Funny, I don't remember hearing all this love for Gus until Reimer let in a few softies...I'm pretty sure if we'd started Gus last night and he'd lost, we'd be hearing what a moron Wilson was for starting his backup with his number one sitting there ready to go.

Bottom line, we do not have a Cujo/Balfour showstopper in net and haven't since the Eagle's back went out during the lockout.

Old
12-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Ari91

Reimer has the tools to be an NHL goalie but the main criticism against him has always been the sample size of games people have to go on. He's a young guy who's going to falter. Despite the amount of times he bailed the team out last season, you can't continuously expect that from your goalie and when he doesnt' deliver, point the finger at him shamelessly. There are several plays that happen in front of him that shouldn't be happening. Why the hell can't our D clear the damn zone even when they have possession and enough time and space to make a play out? I don't even know why they bother to use the boards because every time they try to clear the zone using the boards, all they do is rattle the puck down to the opposition standing at our blueline. I'm sure it doesn't get easier for a goalie to keep track of a puck for long periods of time because their team is hemmed in in their own end. It hurts to the see the soft goals but our biggest issue is not goaltending, it's our D's bad decision making on plays. Why the hell did Staal even have a breakaway last night? Who cares if he's slumping, he's Eric freaking Staal...you don't let a guy like that in with time and space on the ice.

Goalies should be held accountable to some degree but it's totally unfair to pass around blame and not look beyond the goaltender. I believe that Reimer can be a legit NHL goalie. He's still young and not even prime age for a goalie. Do I think he'll be a Price or a Rinne? No, I think the chances of that are slim but I have faith in his abilities. I felt the same way about Gus and he's really rebounded well this season.

I know Reimer is the Manitoba boy but I think Gus should get the start. Leafs play in Winnipeg one other time this season anyways - give Reimer that start. Gus has been playing well and has been sitting far too long for a goalie who should be seeing some action in the crease. He's earned the playing time.

Old
12-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Myke

Reimer has proven that he can play at the NHL level on a night in and night out basis; that being said he has not been the same goalie since his injury albeit he has shown flashes of greatness. Gus should get a chance and Reimer should have to earn that #1 moniker back with play that we know he can provide.

Old
12-30-2011, 08:49 AM
bleeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I think he'll be fine in the long run. Goalies go through these ups/downs. He's had some really good games, and he's also had some questionable ones.

The guys still 23-years-old. He still has a lot of learning to do at the pro level, and growing pains are expected. This is what you get when you have a young goalie behind a young team. The hope is he builds on his faults and is better for it in the long run. He's capable.

Honestly though, as much as Reimer has to be better the team has to be smarter with whoever is in net. If you have a 3-1 lead and a goalie who's possibly a bit fragile mentally right now... don't let one of the leagues best #1 centers have a breakaway with under 10 minutes to go..that's just common sense..

It's unfortunate the game vs. Carolina worked out the way it did because I think a win would have went a long way for him. At least from a stat perspective, he had a pretty good one before the lead was blown.
I agree... Reimer will be fine.

But he's fighting the puck right now. When he's on he comes out and challenges shooters more aggressively. Over the last few games he's been playing too deep in his crease at times, and pucks are going right through him. That rarely happened last year...

Old
12-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
I've said multiple times that the piss poor defense is a huge issue and reimer has been victimized for a lot of goals that he had no chance to stop - but looking that proper picture you have to admit that reimer bears a lot of fault as well.

We made defensive miscues on all of the goals, yeah. But none of them were so bad that reimer had no chance at stopping them.

The first and second goals were meh. The third and fourth were absolutely stoppable, and a good goalie will bail your defence out when they make those mistakes (the fourth goal wasn't even a mistake by the way).
Yes, I do agree.

For me, though, it's the amount of blame that is dished out to Reimer that bothers me. Fans have their scapegoat, and that's the bottom line.

Old
12-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Philkessel

The defense and this systems sucks but i find it funny how now that reimer is struggling that the team defense sucks. But when gus was he should be shipped out of town. Personally i dont care who starts i just want to win I am just sick of watching wilson run with his favorites no matter what. Hell even toskala got start after start in front of gus, john mitchell playing on the first line and kadri getting send down constantly. Luckily kadri isnt going anywhere for awhile.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:25 AM
TheOneArmedMan

I like Reimer and want him to succed with the Leafs, it's just the team's ****** defense that is hurting him, just like every goaltender we've had so far.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Smif

Today it's Reimer, last game it was Schenn, we have a new whipping boy every game. What we need is McCabe back so we can be consistent.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Pyromaniac3

I think he is tired. He was played in back-to-back games last week and he didn't get his rest time.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

I have no idea what his career will look like, but of the options the team has right now, he is the best one.

maybe they need to bring in someone else? but until they do, he's the best choice

Old
12-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
I have no idea what his career will look like, but of the options the team has right now, he is the best one.

maybe they need to bring in someone else? but until they do, he's the best choice
I was thinking that too, maybe Burke should think about trading for a goalie?

I say give James one last chance in Winnipeg in front of his family and friends. If he has another poor game, go with Gus in the game after that. Then if Gus has a good start, go with him again.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

He is hard to watch sometimes. He can play really deep in his net. he tries to use his size so he is able to stay deeper and gain a better advantage on lateral movement.

When i see him shrug or just throw the glove up, it scares the hell outa me. To me it looks like he is doing a "cover-up as much of the net because i don't know where its going."

I like Reimer a lot, and think he has the attitude to get better and become a mentor for young goalies. But, when he looks bad, it seems to show.

Old
12-30-2011, 05:09 PM
D3ADLY

Optimus fall will be short lived. we have a gem on our hands he is just a little bit behind schedule while others are in somewhat mid season form.

Old
12-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Darcy Tucker

I've always been a big Gus supporter but I truly hope Reimer can regain his form from last season and establish himself as #1. As of right now he deserves to split the starts with the Monster 50/50. Even random Leafs when asked about Reimer and goaltending in general always add in don't forget about Gus he's been good for us too etc.

We need both to be successful. They have definitely started costing us points again.

Old
12-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Pi

It's not Reimer or Gustavsson. It's the system we play in. Look at Giguere's stats with the Avs. Even when he was healthy he didn't produce like that with the Leafs.

Our system is just all offense, zero defence.

Old
12-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
Asthma got me swole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulebreath View Post
Why aren't these guys competing for the job, like a normal team would handle it? Wilson looks like he's trying to force the #1 on Reimer instead of going with the hot hand. Gus was at the top of his game when Reimer came back and any normal coach, with a goalie playing that well, would change it up immediately after a game in which Reimer struggles. Wilson has bungled the hack out of this.
This. I feel bad for Gus seeing Reimer handed the #1 job when he hasn't done much to earn it.

Old
12-30-2011, 05:54 PM
KuleminFan41

He's not playing bad exactly its the PK thats ruining it. If our PK was closer to 20th than 30 we would have won a couple games that we lost due to our PK being bad

Old
12-30-2011, 06:07 PM
getyourselfsomerest

Reimer will come around. Just like Price did. Price: strong first (half) season. Second season his glove hand was exposed. 3rd season was better. now he's awesome. Reimer will do the same too IMO. Reimer's 5 on 5 GA/G is only 1.88. It's the PK that's killing him.

He's just not making the right decision and not challenging shooters consistently. Take the game against Carolina. Sutter goal: Gardiner standing in front of him (stupid), so he goes down too early to look under him rather than leaning left to see the puck, leaving the top wide open. Staal breakaway: Since players know to go glove side on reimer now, it looked like he's over-compensated so he wasn't ready for the five hole goal. As I've said, he'll come around I'm sure of it.

Closed Thread