HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Injury Thread: Sedin indefinite (concussion), Rome out 7-10 days (knee)

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2012, 01:44 AM
CCF23

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Don't know if anyone has said this or not but on Global News they said Hank spoke to Dank on the phone today and Dank said he felt better than the day he got hit but is suffering from headaches.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:54 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Don't know if anyone has said this or not but on Global News they said Hank spoke to Dank on the phone today and Dank said he felt better than the day he got hit but is suffering from headaches.
When do they normally do concussion testing? Day after, 2 days, a week?

Old
03-24-2012, 02:46 AM
keslerburrows

Stay positive people. I still for some reason strongly believe this will be an occasion like Giroux's earlier in the year. When Daniel went down he had the presence of mind to bring his hand up to his face a half second after impact, or, as some people would call it, embellish. Not a lot, just your normal amount. He didn't seem woozy, or, bamby legged on his skate back to the bench either, another good sign. Along with this he was able to walk home by himself (supposedly) and Henrik said he is already feeling better. I know I am speculating on a lot of nothing but it leads me to believe this is a minor concussion. I for one will not panic if Daniel is held out for the remainder of the season and brought in for game 1. I truly believe that will be the case. Let's hope I'm right. Get better Daniel!

Old
03-24-2012, 04:20 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
See everyone, our positivity (well, mine at least ) is working. Anything but worse is good news for me. Getting hit like that will give you headaches no matter what, so once those clear up, hopefully in the next few days, they can get a more clear view on Danny's status.

Old
03-24-2012, 04:23 AM
yoss

^That is the best news i've heard all day. Not to get hopes up too much or anything, but that is truly truly good to hear.

Maybe there are Sedinery based qualities that can help concussion recovery time faster than most human mortals. It's funny how they are called soft, when the twins seem like they take punishment far better than most players. In my opinion.

Anyways. Very encouraging to hear, for whatever it may be worth.

Last edited by yoss: 03-24-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old
03-24-2012, 04:27 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
^That is the best news i've heard all day. Not to get hopes up too much or anything, but that is truly truly good to hear.

Maybe there are Sedinery based qualities that can help concussion recovery time faster than most human mortals.
Concussions don't hurt aliens, I suppose.

Old
03-24-2012, 04:34 AM
yoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Concussions don't hurt aliens, I suppose.
that's what's so frustrating about concussions. It is either a pleasant surprise when they come back or a long drawn out thing.

Hank needs to keep playing like he did last game.

The fact it is his first concussion is at least a positive as well.

I realize my response has nothing to do with the quote, i am all over the place here lol time for some sleep. getting delirious.

Old
03-24-2012, 04:52 AM
CanadianPirate

Quote:
That's good news. Hopefully it will be a speedy recovery.

Old
03-24-2012, 05:44 AM
jigsaw99

Dr. Mark Recchi diagnostic:

2 games

Old
03-24-2012, 06:41 AM
elproducto

I hope Keith enjoys his pre-playoff rest.

Get better Dan.

Old
03-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post

Maybe there are Sedinery based qualities that can help concussion recovery time faster than most human mortals. It's funny how they are called soft, when the twins seem like they take punishment far better than most players. In my opinion.

Anyways. Very encouraging to hear, for whatever it may be worth.
Doesn't mean much. As Crosby has said multiple times, it's very much a day-to-day thing. One day you're great, the next day you can't even leave the house.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:57 AM
shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Doesn't mean much. As Crosby has said multiple times, it's very much a day-to-day thing. One day you're great, the next day you can't even leave the house.
That about sums it up.....The NHL had every reason to wait for a judgement past the 72 hour mark and yet they did not. I was hoping that meant they had good news out of Vancouver but instead it looks like they rushed ahead to avoid having to deal with any possible bad news, because the Canucks camp has no idea yet.

I hope that he makes it back, because without him the team can play but not for a long tough run. It would put pressure on the bottom guys and in the long run result in further injuries, much like happened last playoffs, when we started them, slightly beat up.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:09 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Pretty much. Which is why I hate these type of injuries. There really is no timeline.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Hodgy

Quote:
The Crosby comparison isn't a good one. It is well known that the severity of his was likely a result of him having been concussed twice in a short period of time. Same with Willi Mitchell.

There is no evidence that Daniel Sedin has even been concussed once before, let alone recently.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
The Crosby comparison isn't a good one. It is well known that the severity of his was likely a result of him having been concussed twice in a short period of time. Same with Willi Mitchell.
Doesn't matter. That's just how things are with concussions. One day you're getting better, next day you're feeling worse. There's no timeline, period.

Crosby and Mitchell might've had worse concussions, but it's not guaranteed. Daniel could as easily have as bad of a concussion despite no prior history. Kris Letang had no history and missed quite a bit of time with his first concussion, meanwhile his second healed much quicker.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

I guess im kind of thinking he'll follow the timeline of a guy like Hamhuis. I know concussions are random, but a Letang type of situation is likely worst case scenario. You can't put Daniel in the same boat as Crosby and Mitchell.

Old
03-24-2012, 12:38 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Doesn't matter. That's just how things are with concussions. One day you're getting better, next day you're feeling worse. There's no timeline, period.

Crosby and Mitchell might've had worse concussions, but it's not guaranteed. Daniel could as easily have as bad of a concussion despite no prior history. Kris Letang had no history and missed quite a bit of time with his first concussion, meanwhile his second healed much quicker.
There is a slight difference, yes. Second impact concussions seem to inevitably result in absences ranging from 6 months to more than a year. Standard, garden variety concussions can be anything from a week onwards.

So while getting a normal concussion doesn't guarantee you won't have headaches a year later, it does makes the odds of a speedy recovery significantly better. If this was second impact, it would be an ironclad certainty that Daniel was out until fall at the best.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:32 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I guess im kind of thinking he'll follow the timeline of a guy like Hamhuis. I know concussions are random, but a Letang type of situation is likely worst case scenario. You can't put Daniel in the same boat as Crosby and Mitchell.
Yeah I'm hoping Daniel follows a Hamhuis path but I doubt D. Sedin has the wolverine powers that Damhuis has.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
There is a slight difference, yes. Second impact concussions seem to inevitably result in absences ranging from 6 months to more than a year. Standard, garden variety concussions can be anything from a week onwards.

So while getting a normal concussion doesn't guarantee you won't have headaches a year later, it does makes the odds of a speedy recovery significantly better. If this was second impact, it would be an ironclad certainty that Daniel was out until fall at the best.
Yup, I agree with you. I didn't even compare him to Crosby, I just cited what Crosby said about concussions. I could've easily picked a guy like Letang or Booth that had a longer-term first concussion. My ultimate point was that people shouldn't get their hopes up just yet.

Old
03-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Yeah I'm hoping Daniel follows a Hamhuis path but I doubt D. Sedin has the wolverine powers that Damhuis has.
I am unsure about that.

Daniel bounced back from surgery to repair a herniated disc in his lower back in mid-May 2001 and was ready to go for training camp.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/...din010515.html

And Daniel hit the ground running (ice skating?) after missing 18 games with a broken foot in 2009-10.

Hard to get a read on Henrik because he has only missed 10 games with 4 separate in his career and the last game he missed was late in the 2003-04 season. Since then he is the second ranked active NHL ironman which is remarkable.

Old
03-24-2012, 02:12 PM
yoss

Quote:
Yup, I agree with you. I didn't even compare him to Crosby, I just cited what Crosby said about concussions. I could've easily picked a guy like Letang or Booth that had a longer-term first concussion. My ultimate point was that people shouldn't get their hopes up just yet.
I'm not getting my hopes up too much, it's just nice to hear anything good, i realize nothing can be taken from Hanks comment, but after how disheartening and infuriating this whole incident has been, some positive no matter how little is better than none.

Thanks for some further explanation/elucidation anyways though.

Old
03-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Completely individual as PCS affects every person differently. I have seen numerous concussions over the years - many as a personal injury lawyer (plaintiff and defence). You just never know.

Jason Allison took a crosscheck causing whiplash (no hit to the head) initially diagnosed as a cervical strain but then recognized as PCS with severe migraines. The hit occurred in January 2003 and he was out for that season and the next before trying to come back in 2005-06 and then out again until trying a comeback in 2009-10 on a try out deal.

Steve Moore first concussion and career over. His brother Mark (a Pittsburgh draft pick) took a glancing blow during practise and his career was over. Like Steve he continues to suffer the after-effects.
Then, there is Mark. While his brother's career ended in front of thousands of eyes in an NHL rink, and millions more on television, he lost his dream in a cold, empty arena in Wheeling, Virginia, when a teammate's helmet clipped him in the chin during practice.

"I never really retired. I got a concussion early in my second season there. I thought I'd be back in a week and it never went away," Mark said. That was almost six years ago. "It wasn't as dramatic as what happened to Steve but I still can't play hockey."
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col...50791-sun.html

Old
03-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Cool Hand Goof*

All of a sudden these last games become important. That first line needs to keep playing like they did vs the stars. Raymond with 2 Pts Hank 2pts and kassian was part of both goals. Dannys a question mark for now and we need to focus on what we got besides him heading into the playoffs

Old
03-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Starfighter
Still in my prime

The suspension length seems fair I suppose, but I think suspensions should be much longer in the future. The player that caused the concussion should not be able to come back until the injured player comes back (perhaps with some exceptions). I just think the rules still favor the team that caused the injury because they only pay short term for a long term problem for the other team. Any thoughts?

Old
03-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Completely individual as PCS affects every person differently. I have seen numerous concussions over the years - many as a personal injury lawyer (plaintiff and defence). You just never know.

Jason Allison took a crosscheck causing whiplash (no hit to the head) initially diagnosed as a cervical strain but then recognized as PCS with severe migraines. The hit occurred in January 2003 and he was out for that season and the next before trying to come back in 2005-06 and then out again until trying a comeback in 2009-10 on a try out deal.

Steve Moore first concussion and career over. His brother Mark (a Pittsburgh draft pick) took a glancing blow during practise and his career was over. Like Steve he continues to suffer the after-effects.
Then, there is Mark. While his brother's career ended in front of thousands of eyes in an NHL rink, and millions more on television, he lost his dream in a cold, empty arena in Wheeling, Virginia, when a teammate's helmet clipped him in the chin during practice.

"I never really retired. I got a concussion early in my second season there. I thought I'd be back in a week and it never went away," Mark said. That was almost six years ago. "It wasn't as dramatic as what happened to Steve but I still can't play hockey."

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col...50791-sun.html
Wow, that's actually quite terrifying when you think about how many small bumps to the head happen in a game/season. Is there any reason why a small hit like that would do so much damage? Did he have a prior brain condition they were unaware of?

Closed Thread