HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Injury Thread: Sedin indefinite (concussion), Rome out 7-10 days (knee)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2012, 01:44 AM
  #876
CCF23
Registered User
 
CCF23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,519
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Don't know if anyone has said this or not but on Global News they said Hank spoke to Dank on the phone today and Dank said he felt better than the day he got hit but is suffering from headaches.

CCF23 is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:54 AM
  #877
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Don't know if anyone has said this or not but on Global News they said Hank spoke to Dank on the phone today and Dank said he felt better than the day he got hit but is suffering from headaches.
When do they normally do concussion testing? Day after, 2 days, a week?

Canucker is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:46 AM
  #878
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,721
vCash: 500
Stay positive people. I still for some reason strongly believe this will be an occasion like Giroux's earlier in the year. When Daniel went down he had the presence of mind to bring his hand up to his face a half second after impact, or, as some people would call it, embellish. Not a lot, just your normal amount. He didn't seem woozy, or, bamby legged on his skate back to the bench either, another good sign. Along with this he was able to walk home by himself (supposedly) and Henrik said he is already feeling better. I know I am speculating on a lot of nothing but it leads me to believe this is a minor concussion. I for one will not panic if Daniel is held out for the remainder of the season and brought in for game 1. I truly believe that will be the case. Let's hope I'm right. Get better Daniel!

keslerburrows is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 04:20 AM
  #879
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,499
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Don't know if anyone has said this or not but on Global News they said Hank spoke to Dank on the phone today and Dank said he felt better than the day he got hit but is suffering from headaches.
See everyone, our positivity (well, mine at least ) is working. Anything but worse is good news for me. Getting hit like that will give you headaches no matter what, so once those clear up, hopefully in the next few days, they can get a more clear view on Danny's status.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 04:23 AM
  #880
yoss
Registered User
 
yoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
^That is the best news i've heard all day. Not to get hopes up too much or anything, but that is truly truly good to hear.

Maybe there are Sedinery based qualities that can help concussion recovery time faster than most human mortals. It's funny how they are called soft, when the twins seem like they take punishment far better than most players. In my opinion.

Anyways. Very encouraging to hear, for whatever it may be worth.


Last edited by yoss: 03-24-2012 at 04:38 AM.
yoss is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 04:27 AM
  #881
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,499
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
^That is the best news i've heard all day. Not to get hopes up too much or anything, but that is truly truly good to hear.

Maybe there are Sedinery based qualities that can help concussion recovery time faster than most human mortals.
Concussions don't hurt aliens, I suppose.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 04:34 AM
  #882
yoss
Registered User
 
yoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Concussions don't hurt aliens, I suppose.
that's what's so frustrating about concussions. It is either a pleasant surprise when they come back or a long drawn out thing.

Hank needs to keep playing like he did last game.

The fact it is his first concussion is at least a positive as well.

I realize my response has nothing to do with the quote, i am all over the place here lol time for some sleep. getting delirious.

yoss is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 04:52 AM
  #883
CanadianPirate
Registered User
 
CanadianPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Don't know if anyone has said this or not but on Global News they said Hank spoke to Dank on the phone today and Dank said he felt better than the day he got hit but is suffering from headaches.
That's good news. Hopefully it will be a speedy recovery.

CanadianPirate is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 05:44 AM
  #884
jigsaw99
Registered User
 
jigsaw99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,794
vCash: 500
Dr. Mark Recchi diagnostic:

2 games

jigsaw99 is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 06:41 AM
  #885
elproducto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
I hope Keith enjoys his pre-playoff rest.

Get better Dan.

elproducto is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 07:24 AM
  #886
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
^That is the best news i've heard all day. Not to get hopes up too much or anything, but that is truly truly good to hear.

Maybe there are Sedinery based qualities that can help concussion recovery time faster than most human mortals. It's funny how they are called soft, when the twins seem like they take punishment far better than most players. In my opinion.

Anyways. Very encouraging to hear, for whatever it may be worth.
Doesn't mean much. As Crosby has said multiple times, it's very much a day-to-day thing. One day you're great, the next day you can't even leave the house.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 09:57 AM
  #887
shoes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Doesn't mean much. As Crosby has said multiple times, it's very much a day-to-day thing. One day you're great, the next day you can't even leave the house.
That about sums it up.....The NHL had every reason to wait for a judgement past the 72 hour mark and yet they did not. I was hoping that meant they had good news out of Vancouver but instead it looks like they rushed ahead to avoid having to deal with any possible bad news, because the Canucks camp has no idea yet.

I hope that he makes it back, because without him the team can play but not for a long tough run. It would put pressure on the bottom guys and in the long run result in further injuries, much like happened last playoffs, when we started them, slightly beat up.

shoes is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 11:09 AM
  #888
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Doesn't mean much. As Crosby has said multiple times, it's very much a day-to-day thing. One day you're great, the next day you can't even leave the house.
Pretty much. Which is why I hate these type of injuries. There really is no timeline.

KISSland is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 11:18 AM
  #889
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Doesn't mean much. As Crosby has said multiple times, it's very much a day-to-day thing. One day you're great, the next day you can't even leave the house.
The Crosby comparison isn't a good one. It is well known that the severity of his was likely a result of him having been concussed twice in a short period of time. Same with Willi Mitchell.

There is no evidence that Daniel Sedin has even been concussed once before, let alone recently.

Hodgy is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 11:26 AM
  #890
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
The Crosby comparison isn't a good one. It is well known that the severity of his was likely a result of him having been concussed twice in a short period of time. Same with Willi Mitchell.
Doesn't matter. That's just how things are with concussions. One day you're getting better, next day you're feeling worse. There's no timeline, period.

Crosby and Mitchell might've had worse concussions, but it's not guaranteed. Daniel could as easily have as bad of a concussion despite no prior history. Kris Letang had no history and missed quite a bit of time with his first concussion, meanwhile his second healed much quicker.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 11:58 AM
  #891
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,224
vCash: 500
I guess im kind of thinking he'll follow the timeline of a guy like Hamhuis. I know concussions are random, but a Letang type of situation is likely worst case scenario. You can't put Daniel in the same boat as Crosby and Mitchell.

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 12:38 PM
  #892
BloatedGuppy
Registered User
 
BloatedGuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Doesn't matter. That's just how things are with concussions. One day you're getting better, next day you're feeling worse. There's no timeline, period.

Crosby and Mitchell might've had worse concussions, but it's not guaranteed. Daniel could as easily have as bad of a concussion despite no prior history. Kris Letang had no history and missed quite a bit of time with his first concussion, meanwhile his second healed much quicker.
There is a slight difference, yes. Second impact concussions seem to inevitably result in absences ranging from 6 months to more than a year. Standard, garden variety concussions can be anything from a week onwards.

So while getting a normal concussion doesn't guarantee you won't have headaches a year later, it does makes the odds of a speedy recovery significantly better. If this was second impact, it would be an ironclad certainty that Daniel was out until fall at the best.

BloatedGuppy is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:32 PM
  #893
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I guess im kind of thinking he'll follow the timeline of a guy like Hamhuis. I know concussions are random, but a Letang type of situation is likely worst case scenario. You can't put Daniel in the same boat as Crosby and Mitchell.
Yeah I'm hoping Daniel follows a Hamhuis path but I doubt D. Sedin has the wolverine powers that Damhuis has.

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:35 PM
  #894
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
There is a slight difference, yes. Second impact concussions seem to inevitably result in absences ranging from 6 months to more than a year. Standard, garden variety concussions can be anything from a week onwards.

So while getting a normal concussion doesn't guarantee you won't have headaches a year later, it does makes the odds of a speedy recovery significantly better. If this was second impact, it would be an ironclad certainty that Daniel was out until fall at the best.
Yup, I agree with you. I didn't even compare him to Crosby, I just cited what Crosby said about concussions. I could've easily picked a guy like Letang or Booth that had a longer-term first concussion. My ultimate point was that people shouldn't get their hopes up just yet.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:10 PM
  #895
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Yeah I'm hoping Daniel follows a Hamhuis path but I doubt D. Sedin has the wolverine powers that Damhuis has.
I am unsure about that.

Daniel bounced back from surgery to repair a herniated disc in his lower back in mid-May 2001 and was ready to go for training camp.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/...din010515.html

And Daniel hit the ground running (ice skating?) after missing 18 games with a broken foot in 2009-10.

Hard to get a read on Henrik because he has only missed 10 games with 4 separate in his career and the last game he missed was late in the 2003-04 season. Since then he is the second ranked active NHL ironman which is remarkable.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:12 PM
  #896
yoss
Registered User
 
yoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Yup, I agree with you. I didn't even compare him to Crosby, I just cited what Crosby said about concussions. I could've easily picked a guy like Letang or Booth that had a longer-term first concussion. My ultimate point was that people shouldn't get their hopes up just yet.
I'm not getting my hopes up too much, it's just nice to hear anything good, i realize nothing can be taken from Hanks comment, but after how disheartening and infuriating this whole incident has been, some positive no matter how little is better than none.

Thanks for some further explanation/elucidation anyways though.

yoss is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:25 PM
  #897
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Yup, I agree with you. I didn't even compare him to Crosby, I just cited what Crosby said about concussions. I could've easily picked a guy like Letang or Booth that had a longer-term first concussion. My ultimate point was that people shouldn't get their hopes up just yet.
Completely individual as PCS affects every person differently. I have seen numerous concussions over the years - many as a personal injury lawyer (plaintiff and defence). You just never know.

Jason Allison took a crosscheck causing whiplash (no hit to the head) initially diagnosed as a cervical strain but then recognized as PCS with severe migraines. The hit occurred in January 2003 and he was out for that season and the next before trying to come back in 2005-06 and then out again until trying a comeback in 2009-10 on a try out deal.

Steve Moore first concussion and career over. His brother Mark (a Pittsburgh draft pick) took a glancing blow during practise and his career was over. Like Steve he continues to suffer the after-effects.
Then, there is Mark. While his brother's career ended in front of thousands of eyes in an NHL rink, and millions more on television, he lost his dream in a cold, empty arena in Wheeling, Virginia, when a teammate's helmet clipped him in the chin during practice.

"I never really retired. I got a concussion early in my second season there. I thought I'd be back in a week and it never went away," Mark said. That was almost six years ago. "It wasn't as dramatic as what happened to Steve but I still can't play hockey."
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col...50791-sun.html

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:53 PM
  #898
Cool Hand Goof*
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
All of a sudden these last games become important. That first line needs to keep playing like they did vs the stars. Raymond with 2 Pts Hank 2pts and kassian was part of both goals. Dannys a question mark for now and we need to focus on what we got besides him heading into the playoffs

Cool Hand Goof* is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 08:12 PM
  #899
Starfighter
Still in my prime
 
Starfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
The suspension length seems fair I suppose, but I think suspensions should be much longer in the future. The player that caused the concussion should not be able to come back until the injured player comes back (perhaps with some exceptions). I just think the rules still favor the team that caused the injury because they only pay short term for a long term problem for the other team. Any thoughts?

Starfighter is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 08:21 PM
  #900
Plebeian
Play Your Game
 
Plebeian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Completely individual as PCS affects every person differently. I have seen numerous concussions over the years - many as a personal injury lawyer (plaintiff and defence). You just never know.

Jason Allison took a crosscheck causing whiplash (no hit to the head) initially diagnosed as a cervical strain but then recognized as PCS with severe migraines. The hit occurred in January 2003 and he was out for that season and the next before trying to come back in 2005-06 and then out again until trying a comeback in 2009-10 on a try out deal.

Steve Moore first concussion and career over. His brother Mark (a Pittsburgh draft pick) took a glancing blow during practise and his career was over. Like Steve he continues to suffer the after-effects.
Then, there is Mark. While his brother's career ended in front of thousands of eyes in an NHL rink, and millions more on television, he lost his dream in a cold, empty arena in Wheeling, Virginia, when a teammate's helmet clipped him in the chin during practice.

"I never really retired. I got a concussion early in my second season there. I thought I'd be back in a week and it never went away," Mark said. That was almost six years ago. "It wasn't as dramatic as what happened to Steve but I still can't play hockey."

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col...50791-sun.html
Wow, that's actually quite terrifying when you think about how many small bumps to the head happen in a game/season. Is there any reason why a small hit like that would do so much damage? Did he have a prior brain condition they were unaware of?

Plebeian is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.