HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

The barch incident " homer" thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2012, 03:12 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

vCash: 500
The barch incident " homer" thread

For those who wish to discuss this here and not in the lunacy of the general thread....

As an attorney I will tell you if the linesman ends up ith no evidence that Barch said what is alleged,I would love to represent him n a lawsuit against that linesman. This is a heavy accusation.

Old
01-01-2012, 03:30 PM
jkscott
Florida Panther STH

Does the league ultimately defer to the linesman word or is there an investigation? Classic he said/she said, IMO have to give Barch the benefit of the doubt.

Old
01-01-2012, 03:33 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

I think you are taking this too far.

But everyone is innocent until you can prove otherwise.

Old
01-01-2012, 03:40 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
I think you are taking this too far.

But everyone is innocent until you can prove otherwise.
a.p. I'm very sensitive to people being falsely accused. If there's evidence sobeit. But unless the linesman was 110% certain a racial slur ( as opposed to trash talking) could be career ending. You heard Viner react. BARCH could lose this job/career over an unsubstantiated allegation.

Sorry to sound dramatic but this is serious stuff IMHO.

Old
01-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
For those who wish to discuss this here and not in the lunacy of the general thread....

As an attorney I will tell you if the linesman ends up ith no evidence that Barch said what is alleged,I would love to represent him n a lawsuit against that linesman. This is a heavy accusation.
I obviously respect your expert oinion on the legal side of this issue AG, but just want to throw a couple thoughts out there.

Key issue is: is there any other evidence. At the moment there isn't, but personally I have to say Versteeg's comments leave me quite uneasy. To me they suggest he has heard something but cannot, or out of loyalty to a teammate doesn't want to, say what it was. If this feeling is correct, and a guy like Versteeg has to testify in court, I don't know... You have better experience and insight than me, but is it possible that under pressure one of our guys (Versteeg or someone else) will come forward?

To me it's pretty tough to believe this linesman made it up. He may have made a misake though (hope he did), but since he reacted so strongly and determined, I tend to believe he did hear something totally out of line and abnormal as opposed to your every day trashtalk in the rink.

The worst thing that this can do (since I'm not an attorney I mainly think of our season ) is interfere with our team chemistry, if some guys feel they need to lie and are pressured to do so. It may be that some think Barch should confess. Hopefully it's not like this.

Old
01-01-2012, 04:20 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I obviously respect your expert oinion on the legal side of this issue AG, but just want to throw a couple thoughts out there.

Key issue is: is there any other evidence. At the moment there isn't, but personally I have to say Versteeg's comments leave me quite uneasy. To me they suggest he has heard something but cannot, or out of loyalty to a teammate doesn't want to, say what it was. If this feeling is correct, and a guy like Versteeg has to testify in court, I don't know... You have better experience and insight than me, but is it possible that under pressure one of our guys (Versteeg or someone else) will come forward?

To me it's pretty tough to believe this linesman made it up. He may have made a misake though (hope he did), but since he reacted so strongly and determined, I tend to believe he did hear something totally out of line and abnormal as opposed to your every day trashtalk in the rink.

The worst thing that this can do (since I'm not an attorney I mainly think of our season ) is interfere with our team chemistry, if some guys feel they need to lie and are pressured to do so. It may be that some think Barch should confess. Hopefully it's not like this.
excellent points!!

Versteeg and mathias comments are surely vague. I hope if barch did use the N word they come clean and batch is released. There no excuse for that in 2012.

I also agree I don't believe the linesman made it up. I'd like think he heard something and interpreted
It as racial ( for instance word is leaking about perhaps barch said go back to your Jamaican mom, a whole lot different than the N word)

Lastly, as you say, if he did use the N word don't mess with our chem and show him the door. But if the linesman got carried away, he's damaged Barch's career beyond repair.

Old
01-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
One Canadiens' player did hear something about someone's, "mother,'' but didn't elaborate.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,1110495.story

Listen, could always be that this guy is overly sensitive to any possibility of a racial slur and completely heard wrong. Either way, I'm very glad there will be an investigation, I'm glad they're not taking it at face value and at the linesman's word, and this won't be rushed.

Also, don't get what's unsettling about Versteeg's comments (and here's Matthias', too:

Quote:
Shawn Matthias of the Panthers defended his teammate.
You never want to see that and I know Barchy and I dont think that hes the type of guy that would do something of that nature, said Matthias.
Added teammate Kris Versteeg: I dont think we can comment on it because its obviously a touchy subject, but Krys is a good guy and he means no harm.
Versteeg is just watching his ass, and probably listening to management.

Dineen was right behind him and isn't saying anything.

I'll wait til the investigation is over. If it was said and he's suspended, so be it. Sorry Barch, but there's not excuse for that. If he's cleared, then great, I hope this strengthens him. Either way, I hope he pushes through and can grow and learn from and through this.

01-01-2012, 04:24 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Maybe AG has also considered the reason John Vanbiesbrouck's name and number isn't hanging at the BAC is because he is considered tainted by his choice of words.

Old
01-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
excellent points!!

Versteeg and mathias comments are surely vague. I hope if barch did use the N word they come clean and batch is released. There no excuse for that in 2012.

I also agree I don't believe the linesman made it up. I'd like think he heard something and interpreted
It as racial ( for instance word is leaking about perhaps barch said go back to your Jamaican mom, a whole lot different than the N word)

Lastly, as you say, if he did use the N word don't mess with our chem and show him the door. But if the linesman got carried away, he's damaged Barch's career beyond repair.
If all he said was go back to your Jamaican mom, I think this should all end here. At least let Barch explain things. I just don't see that as a big deal.

He should certainly be talked to about thinking before he opens his mouth, but...c'mon. What if he hollered at a Russian to go home to his Russian mom? Hell, he could have just been telling him to get out of the NHL. As in a "go home" sort of thing. Don't think it was meant to be racist if that's all it was. Not the smartest choice of words, but again, if it was Russian, Swedish, etc, don't think the linesman would have flinched. I'm sure Ott, Avery, et al have said a lot worse about guys' mothers.

Old
01-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Tuco

To me the unsettling words are: "he means no harm". I may read too much into it, but it sounds like: he did say something bad, but he meant no harm with that". And what's even more important is what he didn't say: he did not deny the accusation straight up, as he should have in my mind.

I just hope this doesn't cost our team in any way going forward.

Last edited by Tuco: 01-01-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old
01-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
To me the unsettling words are: "he means no harm". I may read too much into it, but it sounds like: he did say something bad, but he meant no harm with that".

I just hope this doesn't cost uor team in any way going forward.
Well, if it was, "go home to your Jamaican mom," I think that explains his comments well.

Old
01-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Well, if it was, "go home to your Jamaican mom," I think that explains his comments well.
Hmmm, so he just played it safe? Could be... Like I said, hope that is the case.

But yeah AG, you are right, the linesman better be right or pull the accusation. Too much at stake to be wrong, and I think he knows and feels it right now.

Last edited by Tuco: 01-01-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old
01-01-2012, 04:46 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

From this afternoon flakov blog...

Just got off the phone with Krys Barch’s California-based agent Scott Norton, and he is, “100 percent confident that Krys will be proven that he did no wrong and there were no racial undertones or slur stated. I want to call it a miscommunication or misunderstanding. I’m confident the league will clear him of any wrong-doing.”

NHL spokesperson John Dellapina said in an e-mail to the Sun Sentinel that the, “investigation is to determine exactly what he said and whether it constituted a slur.”

I spoke with several players from both teams and not one confirmed that any racial slur had been uttered. Even the intended victim, P.K. Subban denied hearing anything like that. I did find a high-ranking Panthers source who told me that it was more a bad case of trash-talking but refused to say there was any racial overtones to the comment.
Norton has spoken to Barch several times since he received the game misconduct, and while he isn’t allowed to divulge details until the league completes their investigation, he believes the choice of words were taken out of context and that his client, who he has known since he was 15, will be completely exonerated.
“I believe in my client, his background and character,” Norton said. “I’m very aware of the person and not just the athlete. …I know what was said but can’t go too much into it. I do feel that probably Krys is a, “tough guy,” and with all the crackdown on concussions people of his ilk are being watched closer and rightfully so with what happened over the summer and the brain damage from concussions. But the character of Krys Barch, you could ask anyone in the Florida locker room and even more so go into the Dallas locker room and talk to someone like Joe Nieuwendyk (Stars GM) who played with Krys for a few years there’s nothing negative ever said about Krys Barch, either as a person or a player. He plays hard … but he’s a family man, has a couple of kids and lives life the way we want our athletes to life life. I want that to be known before people play judge and jury before the facts come out.
“He wants at the end of the day to be standing without any of this sticking to him because he didn’t mean anything by it, he’s torn up whether it’s P.K. Subban or anyone else in the world thinks ill of him other than he’s a tough player whose tough to play against.”
Subban “didn’t hear anything.”
“Personally, I didn’t hear anything. I don’t even know what happened, really,” Subban told The Associated Press. “A couple of guys on the ice told me that something was said. I don’t know what was said. I didn’t hear it. As far as I’m concerned it’s really out of my hands, so I don’t really know too much about it.”

Old
01-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Gudbranson44

I hope it was just an overreaction by the linesman, but if barch indeed did say something that is considered racist, he hope he gets punished badly and gets banned from the league. Racism is unacceptable, no matter how you look at it.
If the linesman just overreacted tho (which is what I am really hoping for), I think he should be punished for false allegations.
Im standing right behind barch here til proven guilty

Old
01-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here

What a bunch of hogwash. A guy can call another guy a dirty, scum-sucking ***hole or tell him to go ******* his mother. But when someone allegedly uses slang racial comments people get all bent out shape. Why aren't people as offended by those comments involving family? You would think they would be pretty offended. This is blown out of proportion. Barch got punished for his alleged comment. End of story.

Old
01-01-2012, 04:57 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Why is there no kind of backlash anytime someone refers to Kennedy as a pig?

Old
01-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Why is there no kind of backlash anytime someone refers to Kennedy as a pig?
Because his nose hasn't had near the history, not sure if you're serious. (assuming you mean Kennedy from the Pens, and I think he looks more like a bat.)

Old
01-01-2012, 05:22 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Because his nose hasn't had near the history, not sure if you're serious. (assuming you mean Kennedy from the Pens, and I think he looks more like a bat.)
Please elaborate!

Old
01-01-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I ****ing lol'd.

Old
01-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
Please elaborate!
lol, just what I think when I see him.

Old
01-01-2012, 06:27 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
I've always thought the same thing!

Old
01-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Per DarrenDreger tweet:

Sources say Krys Barch called PK Subban today to discuss the allegations and clarify his intent.

-ghoste

Old
01-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Per DarrenDreger tweet:

Sources say Krys Barch called PK Subban today to discuss the allegations and clarify his intent.

-ghoste
Good, always like when players do that.

Honest question, and forgive the ignorance, but is Jamaican considered a race? I mean, isn't that more where you're from?

Old
01-01-2012, 08:14 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Good, always like when players do that.

Honest question, and forgive the ignorance, but is Jamaican considered a race? I mean, isn't that more where you're from?
Good question. Yes it is a nation. No less than Canada or US. It is not a race, religion or a protected class.
assuming that's what he said, Barch is clear of any racial slur and, IMHO, the linesman is
learning to say " would you like me to supersize that?"

Old
01-01-2012, 08:16 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Per DarrenDreger tweet:

-ghoste
Awesome and more important than anything that happens Tuesday.

Some of you can say what you wish about enforcers, but they generally have more Integrity than the typical player.

Closed Thread