HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres vs Capitals - 7:00pm - Verizon Center - 12/30/2011

Old
12-31-2011, 02:47 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Oh I agree they're playoff team with effort and avg goaltending. And likely should win a series. The pp functions better and pk is dominant. Overall d is better. But they aren't serious cup contenders until Ovi's line can maintain pressure in the ozone and a second line is at least avg.

SOB works when they can transition with numbers. But you cant rely on winning that way in post season. Either ovi needs to stop carrying puck across the blue (let ovi be first forechecker) or he needs a better forechecking winger.

Wrt line 2. Mojo can't be the c and I feel he's trade bait to get semin a bigger center. Or move laich there and see if mojo is better in the 3rd c spot and can cycle easier with the two big guys.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:01 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Oh I agree they're playoff team with effort and avg goaltending. And likely should win a series. The pp functions better and pk is dominant. Overall d is better. But they aren't serious cup contenders until Ovi's line can maintain pressure in the ozone and a second line is at least avg.

SOB works when they can transition with numbers. But you cant rely on winning that way in post season. Either ovi needs to stop carrying puck across the blue (let ovi be first forechecker) or he needs a better forechecking winger.

Wrt line 2. Mojo can't be the c and I feel he's trade bait to get semin a bigger center. Or move laich there and see if mojo is better in the 3rd c spot and can cycle easier with the two big guys.
Agreed, which makes Green's return all the more important. Also, it's worth noting that during the past several games SOB played together they haven't faced any #1 defensemen.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:02 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
Ovechkin is playing so much better under DH it's becoming more and more obvious that BB was in fact a big part of the problem when it comes to asking the question we have all been asking ourselves for quite some time.

WTF happened to the old Alex Ovechkin?
Not sure if serious, or just off medication for the night...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:06 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

1st they came out flying. Very good period.

The 2nd, the Sabres answered and really brought it. I don't think the Caps coasted, they were just outplayed. It happens in a game. Asking for a complete 60 min effort was not what this game was about. The Caps played their butts off the whole game I thought. SOB was great. Couldn't be more happy about Semin playing well. Keep him or trade him, if he's performing he's a win either way.

Ovy looks like he's playing himself out of his funk.

They still have to find a way to get even junk shots on goal. They've got to generate more than 10 shots in the last 2 periods. Vokoun was great. Sure would be nice to get good goaltending from both guys for the rest of the year. Maybe more than just Ovy and Semin coming out of their funk.

Old
12-31-2011, 07:06 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post

* as long as the Caps center plays down low defense, ovechkin is going to carry the puck across the blue line unless you expect him to wait on backstrom to catch up.

using basketball terms, if the caps are going to run, its the wings that have to do it. the center is too deep in the defensive zone as a rule. that the caps have such strong puck movers at RD mean that the outlet passing to the LW is where the space is.

* you think mcphee is already throwing in the towel on johansson? i think thats not very likely. johansson was drafted as a 2c and groomed as such. people here have been wanting a big 2c for a long time just like they have been wanting a top 4 d brusier. neither of which mcphee has shown much interest in getting.

leonsis could fire mcphee for his philosphy and bring in a gm that wants those things and see johansson moved for a 6-4 center, but mcphee doesnt seem inclined.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 07:27 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I like Dale is making us able to transition for goals without Green. It needed to be done.

And Bäckstrom bringing the puck in needed to be done to help free Ovi, and is being done, and was done last night. Without sacrificing defense, probably because now our defensemen are manning up and being aggressive. But we have a team wide breakout plan. Not just Green look for Ovi cherry picking.

And because our center is under much less pressure under Dale than Bruce. Book it. Bruce had our defensive dmen moving up in all zones regardless of the score, opponent line on the ice; the center always had to be back for that staple play. A play I still think was dumb; have Backstrom covering the Sarge Hannan Alzner and Erskine pinches? And we wonder why our offense tanked. Ovi 1 on 3. Now its 3 on 3, our wings are varying attack points, crossing at the blue, and Nick is right there leading the rush.

With the puck out of Ovi's hands on the rush, we will become more of a passing team. Book that too.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:03 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

The good:

- SOB line, shades of two years ago
- Vokoun, limited the rebounds
- Hamrlik, thought it was his best game
- Chimera, just being himself

The bad:
- Ward, just seems to be skating in quick sand and slow to react to play
- MAJO's scoring opportunity on Vokoun
- Hendricks/Beagle both need to be more physical
- No red balloon sighting

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:19 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* as long as the Caps center plays down low defense, ovechkin is going to carry the puck across the blue line unless you expect him to wait on backstrom to catch up.

using basketball terms, if the caps are going to run, its the wings that have to do it. the center is too deep in the defensive zone as a rule. that the caps have such strong puck movers at RD mean that the outlet passing to the LW is where the space is.
So narrow minded jumping straight to that conclusion.

Quote:

* you think mcphee is already throwing in the towel on johansson? i think thats not very likely. johansson was drafted as a 2c and groomed as such. people here have been wanting a big 2c for a long time just like they have been wanting a top 4 d brusier. neither of which mcphee has shown much interest in getting.

leonsis could fire mcphee for his philosphy and bring in a gm that wants those things and see johansson moved for a 6-4 center, but mcphee doesnt seem inclined.
Agreed he's probably not going to. But it's an option. The post was about how to get the caps a more varied attack that's not so transition reliant. And the standard sob play and current line 2 makeup won't cut it.

Mojo seems to be on the reverse backstrom path: start at C and end up at wing.

Old
12-31-2011, 10:34 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I like Dale is making us able to transition for goals without Green. It needed to be done.

And Bäckstrom bringing the puck in needed to be done to help free Ovi, and is being done, and was done last night. Without sacrificing defense, probably because now our defensemen are manning up and being aggressive. But we have a team wide breakout plan. Not just Green look for Ovi cherry picking.

And because our center is under much less pressure under Dale than Bruce. Book it. Bruce had our defensive dmen moving up in all zones regardless of the score, opponent line on the ice; the center always had to be back for that staple play. A play I still think was dumb; have Backstrom covering the Sarge Hannan Alzner and Erskine pinches? And we wonder why our offense tanked. Ovi 1 on 3. Now its 3 on 3, our wings are varying attack points, crossing at the blue, and Nick is right there leading the rush.

With the puck out of Ovi's hands on the rush, we will become more of a passing team. Book that too.
We've always been a transition team. Put in prez year and earlier we could forecheck as well. Add in a pp scoring and it's a lot of win. We had many transition opportunities in past cause of green. He's just special with puck in his ability to make a man miss. Traditionally passing like our other rd must doesn't create the numbers required to allow the creativity to take over.

So enter dale. And what he's done is use the trap and defensive zone focus to not only limit the chances, but to get the caps in possession of the puck off turnovers with space and the opponents out of coverage... Creating great transition chances. It plays to our strength of roster.

But that wont work consistently enough without a forecheck.

Old
12-31-2011, 11:07 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I never thought we forechecked well in our prez heyday. And our transition was we stretched the forwards (ok Ovi) up and tried to hit homers, and let Green to just do his thing to get the puck out. Sarge got paid just to watch.

We were a transition team yes, but overly dependent on 2 players. Green injured and Ovi triple teamed, we were dead in the water. It wasn't much of a team based transition. Ovi go deep! While Green gets clobbered in the pocket.

Indeed Dale has figured out other ways to get the boys moving forward without cherry picking, for lack of a better word. He is instituting a defensive backbone, not to just stop the bleeding as BB did a year ago, but to generate scoring chances. And not depend on 2 players doing the exact same thing to win games, which obviously failed. Our team became far too predictable and easily defended. Hit Green collapse on Ovi. We were cooked.

Dale is addressing it. If he can get SOB to work (not just for a period), watch out.

Old
12-31-2011, 11:15 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Our 4th line and 1st line with 8-19-22 could forecheck better then than what we have now. And the 2nd with 21-bmo/eb-28 could at least get some pressure.

Now the 2nd line is a joke, the 4th line is bottom league, 3rd line miles better than anything flash was on, and 1st line can't sustain anything.

Old
12-31-2011, 11:31 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Dale is almost reinventing the wheel, addressing play in all zones; this is all a work in progress. I am happy with the overall progress thus far.

I think we have enough pieces to have a decent forecheck, but George may have work to do yet. And Dale may have higher priorities. The dude has a full plate.

MJ has an almost predictable sophomore slump. That has forced him to promote Halpern which really facks up things. Who predicted Halpern would get snaps at 2C.

So much for the off season line projections.

Old
12-31-2011, 11:37 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Agreed that it's a work in progress. And we are seeing that work on ice. But I just think the things holding us back from the goal are personnel. Potentially there could be in house adjustments but that would require the third line to be broken up.

Old
12-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
MJ has an almost predictable sophomore slump. That has forced him to promote Halpern which really facks up things. Who predicted Halpern would get snaps at 2C. .
I do not worried about Mojo at all. The first season it was just all hard skating and just going for it. Now he is trying to learn to play C and its holding him back.

Mr Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Ovi go deep! While Green gets clobbered in the pocket.
Hahhahah! That's exactly what it was. If Ovie was covered Green could run a QB bootleg and get a first down. Or if the puck bounced off Ovie or hit something else Backstrom could collect it in the O zone and dish it. And then there were the times Semin would get possessed by God and float through the air.

Now Green is like Johnny Unitas with the Chargers. Licking his wounds and taping up on the sidelines.

I'm loving what Dale is doing. Maybe he'll figure out a way to protect Green better when he comes back. All Green has to do is create goals on the PP if the team actually plays defense well.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:49 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I am not worried about MJ either. I have seen enough 2nd year slumps that I dont care and almost expect them.

I think our big burly wingers dancing with their Dmen early last night, set the tone, and was a big factor in the game. The other dmen, probably just wanting to get out of there alive. Hard to say with certainty, but I think its true. You think Miller wanted anything to do with Chimera?

Brau took out Erhoff, Weber knew not to mess around anymore, those types of things are factors in the game.

Old
12-31-2011, 11:54 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

It's pretty sad that I was worried about Chimera's hands getting messed up during that fight.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
If anything, one could argue the opposite, and feel that the move to wing for MoJo is an effort to get him to be more selfish and offensive. When he plays center for Semin or Ovechkin, he often lets them dictate the play and reacts. He's best when he's making creative moves and pushing the game.

I do feel in any case that Hunter doesn't want him taking draws, and to change that, he must play wing.

He's a 2nd year player, he still does a lot right.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:12 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I'm loving what Dale is doing. Maybe he'll figure out a way to protect Green better when he comes back. All Green has to do is create goals on the PP if the team actually plays defense well.
I think Green will find a lot less sustained pressure on the Dmen, and also a lot less pressure on him. The system itself will protect him more. He will be thrilled to find its not a C back with him on a 3 on 2, or better yet, not Sarge. Who literally watched him get worked over for years and did little to stop it.

I imagine Green would be with Hammer who I still say will work out. I have seen slow dmen hang in this league my whole life. His best trait, he can play any situation. I think he will help us on offense and may be the only one that thinks it. A left hand shot at LD - something this team has lacked far too long. Watching Hammer have a hand in that tick tack toe toe passing last night is what I have been looking for from him, besides a ton of BS.

Old
12-31-2011, 12:21 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

That tick tac, while amazing.... Was more amazed at THREE guys closing on an ovi without the puck.

Old
12-31-2011, 12:54 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

... and two guys followed him to the net. Getting the puck out of his hands is going to open up a lot, as odd as that sounds. It has to happen for teams to stop tripling him.

Old
12-31-2011, 10:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

You're assuming a lot here. Just because McPhee hasn't made a trade, doesnt mean he's not trying to find a capable 2c that's ready today. Don't mistake inaction for inclination.....one way or the other. I'm not suggesting Mojo is necessarily bait, but I'm not sure he's being groomd for the 2c playing wing.

People want a capable center who can turn the 2nd line into a threat. Mojo isn't that guy today. I love him on wing right now and even suggested it weeks ago. His speed is more effective and his lack of strength seemed less of an issue there.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 12-31-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old
12-31-2011, 11:24 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
You're assuming a lot here. Just because McPhee hasn't made a trade, doesnt mean he's not trying to find a capable 2c that's ready today. Don't mistake inaction for inclination.....one way or the other. I'm not suggesting Mojo is necessarily bait, but I'm not sure he's being groomd for the 2c playing wing.

People want a capable center who can turn the 2nd line into a threat. Mojo isn't that guy today. I love him on wing right now and even suggested it weeks ago. His speed is more effective and his lack of strength seemed less of an issue there.
Personally yeah Mojo is a not far enough in his physical development probably for a 3nd line center. That being said....GMGM doesn't get taken when it comes to the trade arena.

12-31-2011, 11:51 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Personally yeah Mojo is a not far enough in his physical development probably for a 3nd line center. That being said....GMGM doesn't get taken when it comes to the trade arena.

I don't get why people want Mojo traded.
He's young, and he's not good enough to be a top player at this age. One thing i've noticed about him is he's really, really smart. "High Hockey IQ" as they call it. (Aside from him being pretty fast too)

His skills with shape with experience and maturity.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:16 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Not many "want" him traded. Just saying that's the area you do it for upgrade if you want to make biggest improvement. Over trading semin or green this year.