HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery waived (UPDATE: Clears waivers; assigned to AHL)

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2011, 09:16 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

vCash: 500
Avery was cut coming out of camp and was recalled because of injuries. Now, those players are back and he's getting sent back to the Whale. All of this "fair chance" crap is just that. Crap. The guy didn't make the team because there are pieces out there that are a better fit for this team. Is Avery a better player than Prust? Probably. Is Prust a better fit for this team? Definitely. I can't name one guy, when WW is back, that I think should sit in favor of Sean - especially in the role that many of you are clamoring for. You're not happy if he sits. You're not happy if he plays 7:00 or less a game. Rupp certainly isn't getting a lot of minutes and we know what role he's playing. You can make the case that Avery should be playing instead of Mitchell, but I don't know that Mitchell has played himself out of the starting lineup when the team has been 12-4-1 with him in the lineup. But, I think Mitchell is the odd man out when WW comes back.

Old
12-30-2011, 09:24 PM
gluvhand

^So using a winning record as a reason to play Avery is a no-no but it's ok with Mitchell?

Old
12-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Exactly. I'm tired of all the bs answers as to why he's not in the lineup and then when you question those answers you get, "Well, Sean Avery doesn't make a difference so we shouldn't even talk about it".
Who sits for Avery, please tell me?

Mitchell has been better than he was this year and last.

If you think Hagelin should sit then your off your rocker.

Prust kills penalties, fights and pots a few here and there, he also doesn't tend to take dumbass penalties and doesn't have the negative reputation Avery carries.

Boyle is a center so I shouldn't even have to compare them but for ***** and giggles he is one of our better f/o men on a team which sucks at faceoffs. He kills penalties, busts his ass, brings some size and grit and is very good defensively.

Rupp is the only possible argument, but he is signed to a cheaper cap hit, is part of the long-term per management, is a respected veteran in the lockerroom and around the league. When healthy he is actually a decent player and he can drop the gloves with the best of them. A guy who can play, is not a deterrent and can enforce is a major plus.

Christensen is garbage, but he's the 13th forward, and at a cap hit one million less. Why should we waste 2 mil in cap space on a guy who is going to sit in the press box for nearly every game.

Wolski will play and hopefully perform and be shopped at the deadline as a rental for picks/prospects etc. He brings an offense and skillset that avery can't even dream of having. He's one season removed from a 65 point year and is still extremely young. I'd certainly prefer him over Avery on a team that has enough grinders and is still missing some higher end talent.

Overall, I can't see a valid argument for keeping Avery around. Please explain to me some logical reason besides the record. This team is completely different from Avery's original go around. So bringing up the record from 4 seasons ago is grasping at serious straws. We still had Drury, Gomez, Redden etc.

In past years, when Avery was a sparkplug, I'd agree. Now, the records are nearly identical and we are coming off a 5 game win streak without his presence.

Finally, Avery has a ton of cons. He is hated by the entire league. Garners no respect from the officials, regardless of fairness. Brings unnecessary attention away from the ice (his cop debacle over the summer, etc.) At this point, the Rangers have a ton of options to fill his spot that are just as good if not better and it's just not worth keeping him around with all the negatives against him.

All this is coming from one of Avery's biggest supporters. I have his jersey and he was absolutely my favorite player for his first two years in blue. His second time around, he hasn't been that effective and it's just time to cut ties with him. Happens to all players and Avery has already overstayed his welcome imo. He's not Brian Leetch. He's a 3rd/4th liner at best and the emotional connection he has fused with many on these boards and in general really gets in the way of seeing the effectiveness of this team without him.

Best of luck Sean, but you're time is up. Thanks for the memories, you'll always be a fan favorite. The team is ready to move on.

Old
12-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Achene*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
new story with quotes by Avery up on the Post:

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1i3W5djj0
Brooks has it right.

Avery is exactly the kind of player Tortorella wants, and he's been effective and energetic when given chances. Tortorella just doesn't want the name "Avery."

Old
12-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I'm really waiting for someone to respond and tell me who should sit in favor of Avery.

Old
12-30-2011, 09:51 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
I'm really waiting for someone to respond and tell me who should sit in favor of Avery.
Rupp or Mitchell. I feel Mitchell's play has been tailing off.

Rupp in his 8 games back has 0 points and 1 fight.

Old
12-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Achene*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Wolski, Rupp, or Fedotenko. Also, I wouldn't mind trading Anisimov or someone for another good dman to push us over the top when Staal and Sauer return.

Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Del Zotto, Sauer, and someone who isn't crap. Can you say Stanley Cup?

Old
12-30-2011, 09:56 PM
nyrleetch

Actually as I just typed this good for Rupp. Love to see that.

Old
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achene View Post
Wolski, Rupp, or Fedotenko. Also, I wouldn't mind trading Anisimov or someone for another good dman to push us over the top when Staal and Sauer return.

Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Del Zotto, Sauer, and someone who isn't crap. Can you say Stanley Cup?
Anisimov has been one of our best players this year and is 22. He's on pace for nearly 60 points. Can you say Zubov?

Wolski isn't even playing yet. Fedetenko is better than Avery in pretty much every facet of the game, Mitchell as well imo. There defensive game is extremely important to our wins.

And if you're watching the game tonight then there is no explanation as to why Rupp should be in the game for 5 minutes over Avery's 5 mins. Not to mention he is a huge leader in the lockerroom

Old
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Wrong thread.

Old
12-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Rather than just naming names, why don't you give a legitimate reason why Avery should play over these guys.

Mitchell has been part of our shutdown line which is playing against the opposing teams top lines. His boardwork and defensive skills are very good.

Rupp, i've already explained and is a better piece than Avery who brings more of the same type of player this team already has.

Feds is a veteran who is respected and a clutch playoff performer. He is so much more proven than Avery.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Vitto79

honestly guys, teams winning........does it really matter if Avery is gone now vs. next yr as a UFA anyway?

turn the page. Team has plenty of bottom 6 options and even if Avery is claimed on waivers they still have some depth in the minors to call on if more injuries occur

Old
12-30-2011, 10:10 PM
GraveyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Avery was cut coming out of camp and was recalled because of injuries. Now, those players are back and he's getting sent back to the Whale. All of this "fair chance" crap is just that. Crap..
It' not crap, because Avery was never given a chance in camp. He was never given an opportunity to skate with the regulars. He was relegated right from the start to the scrub crew.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Clearing out the trash, I'm fine with this.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:15 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

Wait, wait, wait... trade Anisimov to make room for Sean Avery? ANISIMOV!?!?!?

I've stayed out of this thread until now, but this is ASININE.

You are NOT suggesting that we need to trade Anisimov for that defenseman to push us over the edge. You're trying to find reasons to move other players to put your hero back in the lineup. To suggest otherwise is *********.

We have Staal, Sauer and Eminger all coming back withOUT trading anyone. And even without them we're playing great defense. What we need - more than anything - is scoring depth. And yet you're trying to sound "reasonable" about finding room for him by suggesting that we trade some of our actual skill and existing scoring depth for more defense.

Just stop it.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:

Sit down... this is ridiculous

Old
12-30-2011, 10:42 PM
nyrfan1026

Quote:

The incident at the end of tonight's game proves why you have Rupper in the lineup over Avery. Fedotenko? A two-time Stanley Cup winner? His experience will prove vital if this team has any hopes of sniffing the aforementioned Stanley Cup.

This one should shut the Avery fan-boys up for the night. Get over it. Move on. Good night.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:58 PM
bmoak

Let's see....So far in the Avery threads this season, I've learned that the following players should be benched in favor of Sean Avery: Dubinsky, Boyle, Fedotenko, Rupp, Prust, Mitchell, Hagelin, Wolski, Christiansen, Zuccarello, Newbury, and Deveaux. And now I found out the Rangers should trade Anisimov to make room for Avery.

That leaves Gaborik, Richards, and Stepan (although with Richard's slump, I'm sure someone will come along to suggest that BR should sit in favor of Avery.) Apparently, Sean Avery is the 4th best forward on the team with the best record in the conference, but not only won't Torts play him, but no other coach or GM in the NHL will take him either. Must be a conspiracy.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

What? We're winning without Avery??? Say it ain't so!

Old
12-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Let's see....So far in the Avery threads this season, I've learned that the following players should be benched in favor of Sean Avery: Dubinsky, Boyle, Fedotenko, Rupp, Prust, Mitchell, Hagelin, Wolski, Christiansen, Zuccarello, Newbury, and Deveaux. And now I found out the Rangers should trade Anisimov to make room for Avery.

That leaves Gaborik, Richards, and Stepan (although with Richard's slump, I'm sure someone will come along to suggest that BR should sit in favor of Avery.) Apparently, Sean Avery is the 4th best forward on the team with the best record in the conference, but not only won't Torts play him, but no other coach or GM in the NHL will take him either. Must be a conspiracy.
Dude, I want two of whatever this guy is on

Old
12-30-2011, 11:01 PM
bmoak

Might want to check your sarcasm detector, there.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Achene*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Wait, wait, wait... trade Anisimov to make room for Sean Avery? ANISIMOV!?!?!?

I've stayed out of this thread until now, but this is ASININE.

You are NOT suggesting that we need to trade Anisimov for that defenseman to push us over the edge. You're trying to find reasons to move other players to put your hero back in the lineup. To suggest otherwise is *********.

We have Staal, Sauer and Eminger all coming back withOUT trading anyone. And even without them we're playing great defense. What we need - more than anything - is scoring depth. And yet you're trying to sound "reasonable" about finding room for him by suggesting that we trade some of our actual skill and existing scoring depth for more defense.

Just stop it.
You overestimate a guy who plays with Gaborik; I'm certain you're one of the many who idiotically praised Christensen in Gaborik's first year here. If the GMs are anything like you come the trade deadline (and I'm certain they are), he can be our ticket to a steal.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:08 PM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
You overestimate a guy who plays with Gaborik; I'm certain you're one of the many who idiotically praised Christensen in Gaborik's first year here. If the GMs are anything like you come the trade deadline (and I'm certain they are), he can be our ticket to a steal.
AA is on a whole different planet in comparison to EC. Terrible comparison honestly. You're really just grasping for straws here. Avery is gone, come to terms with that. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Achene*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
AA is on a whole different planet in comparison to EC. Terrible comparison honestly. You're really just grasping for straws here. Avery is gone, come to terms with that. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
I don't like Avery as much as I dislike Jonas Hoglund.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Did he need Gaborik to score 44 points last year?

Stepan is only good because of Gaborik?

Or, Gaborik's resurgence is partly because of them...

Avery is a fringe NHL player. In fact he may not be an NHL player anymore.

Closed Thread