HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #37: St. Louis Blues vs. Nashville Predators

Old
12-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
outplayed another team and yet lost

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:50 PM
stlblueskiwi

vCash: 500
Oh well no surprise there yet another shootout loss, man we suck at them, I suppose at least we got a point lets hope the Hawks can beat Detroit.

stlblueskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:50 PM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

"Okay, boys. If we can just make the playoffs, we won't have to deal with this bull**** again for the rest of the season."

kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:51 PM
underslept

Dear Hitch,

None of the guys you use in the shootout score. Please do your job as a coach and find someone that will.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:51 PM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlkiwiblues View Post
Oh well no surprise there yet another shootout loss, man we suck at them, I suppose at least we got a point lets hope the Hawks can beat Detroit.
Id rather Detroit win and keep it closer instead of Chi winning and start to run away with it.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:52 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

Rinne just is amazing against our team.

Oshie needs to shoot other places than 5 hole. He is too predictable there.

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Alklha

Changes need to be made for the shootout. I couldn't care less who is up, they aren't going to be any worse.

Another loser point is just frustrating.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:53 PM
stlblueskiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
outplayed another team and yet lost
Can't help but think the failure to score in shootouts kinda sums up our shooting ability and why we score so few goals for the amount of pressure and shots or maybe thats me just sulking

Old
12-30-2011, 09:55 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

You know what? Nashville's better than the Blues. The Blues can't beat Nashville. Three games, twice at home, three losses. It's totally unacceptable.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:57 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlkiwiblues View Post
Can't help but think the failure to score in shootouts kinda sums up our shooting ability and why we score so few goals for the amount of pressure and shots or maybe thats me just sulking
Perhaps we focus a little TOO much on defense.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:58 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
You know what? Nashville's better than the Blues. The Blues can't beat Nashville. Three games, twice at home, three losses. It's totally unacceptable.
Nashville isn't better than us. You have to account for the amazing luck they have been receiving this entire season. I think we hit the cross bar like 4 times or something this game. They essentially rely on Pekka Rinne to win all of their games, but by the time the playoffs roll around this year, I don't see him sustaining it.

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:59 PM
stlblueskiwi

Quote:
Not sure they are better than us, though that being said results talk and they get them, your right we can't seem to beat them which just isn't good enough especially if we what to make some noise in the playoffs these are the teams we have to beat to get there, just can't keep losing them.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:01 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Let me put it another way. The Blues aren't good enough to beat Nashville. They just aren't.

Old
stlblueskiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
Haha this is true problem is defense keeps you in games goals in the end win them.

Old
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Oh yeah, and another 0-for on the power play.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:03 PM
stlblueskiwi

Quote:
Let me put it another way. The Blues aren't good enough to beat Nashville. They just aren't.
Can't argue that and we also have trouble with Dallas and the Avs, teams in my opinion we really should be beating regularly if we what to be taken seriously.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
Have you been watching? Even Jackman was pinching in and driving on goal tonight (of course, along with Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Colaiacovo and Polak). The Blues were sending lots of players into the offensive zone all night. They hit 2 posts and missed several "open net shots". They just need to finish better. A "more offensive system" isn't going to help.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:09 PM
TheSilverSkeeter

vCash: 1924
Well, that was disappointing. The Blues just don't get it done in shootouts. Although this time we actually produced some shots on goal in the uncontested breakaways. I think I'd shake things up next time by putting Polak, Jackman and Nichol out there. They couldn't do any worse than zero goals, and it might be pretty entertaining.

It's a shame for Halak. Aside from the weak goal he allowed (which he more than made up for with big saves later), he played very well. Rinne was his usual self against the Blues. Now he'll probably go and allow five goals in two periods before getting pulled in his next game just to frustrate us even more.

TheSilverSkeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:12 PM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Have you been watching? Even Jackman was pinching in and driving on goal tonight (of course, along with Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Colaiacovo and Polak). The Blues were sending lots of players into the offensive zone all night. They hit 2 posts and missed several "open net shots". They just need to finish better. A "more offensive system" isn't going to help.
Getting some more offensive players would help though!

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:12 PM
stlblueskiwi

Quote:
I agree and we really have to start burying these chances because we are dropping points to teams we should be beating and losses like these and to a lesser extent Detroit the other night where we got several breakaways and couldn't finish are frustrating to say the least.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:15 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman1707 View Post
Nashville isn't better than us. You have to account for the amazing luck they have been receiving this entire season. I think we hit the cross bar like 4 times or something this game. They essentially rely on Pekka Rinne to win all of their games, but by the time the playoffs roll around this year, I don't see him sustaining it.
We've made the playoffs the last 6 out of 7 years. If Rinne won all our games and made that happen, we should have signed him to a 490 million contact instead of 49.

We're not one of the NHL elite to be sure, but to say that we amass near 100 points per year because we're lucky is silly.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:17 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
I agree. Nashville has been getting ridiculously lucky on tons of occasions this season. You also can't claim that they don't rely on Pekka Rinne. Rinne has played 34 out of their 38 games this season and that's the most out of any goaltender in the entire league. To put this in perspective, by the end of the season going into the playoffs, he will have played 73 games which is almost 10 more than last year while Tim Thomas only played 57 games last year. I bet Pekka runs out of gas. He is being played and relied on way too much.

Old
12-30-2011, 10:17 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Do you guys perhaps think it's bad luck, then?

We're creating a lot of chances and sooner or later we'll start filling the net with those missed opportunities (and maybe instead of hitting the post in the shootout, it actually goes in).

Old
12-30-2011, 10:20 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

There was something about that loss tonight that made it the most frustrating loss of the season for me personally. There have been other frustrating losses and I'm not even talking about the shootout. When we get to the shootout it's a guaranteed L.

I think it's so frustrating because it's like the script is pre-written and you can see it unfold all night. I am so ready to move on from Patrik Berglund. Done. Over. That guy is never going to be anything more than a guy who shields defenders from the puck and faces the wall, but as soon as he tries to turn his body around it's like turning around a battleship and he either can't get in a shooting position before he loses the puck or he never even turns around at all. When every once in awhile he gets a shot he can't put it on net. Honestly, Evgeny Grachev spins and powers to the net better. I'll admit I'm ranting out of frustration but my god Berglund is so ridiculously far from being an impact player. For the love of god, Berglund, you're 6'4". Are you better than the guy defending you? If so, turn the **** around and drive to the net like David Backes. Just look your defender in the eye and be better than him one on one. Great, you can shield the puck and extend a cycle. Congratulations. You're totally ordinary. There is a reason the guy is on pace for points in the mid 30s – because he looks every bit like a mid 30s player this year. Nearly half a season gone by and our 2d line center has 16 points.

I cannot believe any of you gave me any grief for suggesting Berglund and Stewart for Ryan.

/rant

Old
12-30-2011, 10:24 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
There was something about that loss tonight that made it the most frustrating loss of the season for me personally. There have been other frustrating losses and I'm not even talking about the shootout. When we get to the shootout it's a guaranteed L.

I think it's so frustrating because it's like the script is pre-written and you can see it unfold all night. I am so ready to move on from Patrik Berglund. Done. Over. That guy is never going to be anything more than a guy who shields defenders from the puck and faces the wall, but as soon as he tries to turn his body around it's like turning around a battleship and he either can't get in a shooting position before he loses the puck or he never even turns around at all. When every once in awhile he gets a shot he can't put it on net. Honestly, Evgeny Grachev spins and powers to the net better. I'll admit I'm ranting out of frustration but my god Berglund is so ridiculously far from being an impact player. For the love of god, Berglund, you're 6'4". Are you better than the guy defending you? If so, turn the **** around and drive to the net like David Backes. Just look your defender in the eye and be better than him one on one. Great, you can shield the puck and extend a cycle. Congratulations. You're totally ordinary. There is a reason the guy is on pace for points in the mid 30s – because he looks every bit like a mid 30s player this year. Nearly half a season gone by and our 2d line center has 16 points.

I cannot believe any of you gave me any grief for suggesting Berglund and Stewart for Ryan.

/rant
No, I completely agree. Berglund I think is a big reason we didn't win tonight and the main reason Stewart hasn't been playing as well. Stewart and Bergie lost chemistry after the pre season, and his lack of stellar play has prevented Stewart from pounding it in. I mean, look how much more productive stewart is when he played with Backes and Steen. I think Berglund, Crombeen, and Coliacovo should be packed and shipped at the trade deadline for a rental player. (Jarome Iginla I wish)