HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2012, 03:51 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The cost for Hemsky would be considerably less than it was last year at this time.
Why? They didn't want to trade Hemsky previously, so why would they do it now, and for less than what Penner cost?

Old
01-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
The cost for Hemsky would be fairly reasonable and the upside would be considerable. I would think that he would be available and would probably be an option that makes the most sense out of players that may be available.

Beats being stuck with a guy that doesnt work out ala Penner.
Pfft. You might as well ship us a coffin. Plus, we aren't stuck with Penner, he is gone after this year. Doesn't mean we want to trade away serious assets for a rental. What planet are you from? Would you trade away your assets for a rental right now? We may not even make the playoffs either and you're talking rentals? Quit kidding around. Your sales job stinks, no way would we give up a first + prospect + pick for a mangled playmaking winger that may likely walk in the summer and we have to quite literally play out of our minds just to make the postseason. Not going to happen.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi

Last edited by Telos: 01-09-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old
01-09-2012, 03:56 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Ales Hemsky.

He is on an expiring contract. If he works out, you can re-sign him, if not, you arent tied to a bad contract. Could also include in the deal a conditional pick depending on whether he signs with the Kings or not.

Pretty much the perfect situation for the Kings, and for Hemsky.
I think hemsky is someone we'd likely sign in the off-season, not trade for. I think DL is eager to upgrade the bottom six, or add a pure sniper. Hemsky is more of a playmaking winger, and softer along the boards which it seems the Kings are glued to right now. But in the off-season, depending on what happens with Gagne and Williams since we know it's almost a guarantee some sort of a shack up will occur, then maybe a guy like Hemsky could come in.

DL Does like to go bargain basement hunting with oft-injured guys who are skilled but not tough, see Gagne and Williams, so hemsky would fit his MO it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Hemsky, Tangradi, Malone ect.

How much do you think these guys will help our offense? Maybe instead of averaging 2.02 goals per game, well average 2.03 goals per game. What's the point? We need a systemic or cultural change. Adding another guy who has 20 goal upside will probably accomplish nothing.
Sign me up for Tangradi. I wouldn't pay Stoll AND a 2nd as someone said, but I'd like him. Even if it's just for his size. That seems to be a missing element on the bottom six that was there before, see Handzus and Simmonds. Now we have nothing outside of Westgarth, and he's always out of the line up.

Old
01-09-2012, 03:57 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
The cost for Hemsky would be fairly reasonable and the upside would be considerable. I would think that he would be available and would probably be an option that makes the most sense out of players that may be available.

Beats being stuck with a guy that doesnt work out ala Penner.
Hemsky does not solve anything for the Kings. If Kings fans want to be truthful with ourselves; the Kings need TWO top six wingers one of them being ELITE (Nash, Parise type).

Then the Bottom six needs a complete overhaul most likely. All four lines must be able to have some speed/skill/grit. All four lines must be able to score, and play a little Defense.

Right now the Kings only have maybe two lines that can do that consistently.

And there is no help in Manchester; The pipeline is dry of ready forwards which is really killing the Kings right now.

You MUST draft TWO (potential) roster players every year(Lombardi's own words ironically). If you don't, you turn into what the Kings have right now.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Because at 24 years of age he fits with our core group and won't cost an arm and a leg to get.

The Penner trade was problematic from Day 1, but many here were begging for it. Thank God he only has this year remaining on his deal.

What is the fascination with Iginla? Does he put this team over the top this year or next? I don't think so.
A young player that can grow with our core? Last I checked, New York Islanders core is even younger than the Kings. I don't see the motivation to move Grabner.

Calgary on the other hand is a mess. Their core is too old and they're not deep enough to win now. The facination with Iginla begins with a proven track record of being an elite offensive winger. It continues with his unparalleled work ethic and it ends with his off-ice character. That, to me, is much more fascinating than a 24 year old winger with 43 career goals on this resume that can "grow with our core."

Iginla certainly is not a long term answer but in this day of unrestricted free agency at 25, the uncertainty of a potential lock out in the very near future and 5 years of the latest rebuild sitting in the rear-view mirror, this core's time is now.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:13 PM
voynov26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
lucic+ for DD LOL that + better be seguin
Here's my proposal. I am not into trading DD. But for discussion sake...

To Boston:
Drew Doughty
Dustin Penner

To LA:
Milan Lucic LW
Nathan Horton
2012 & 2014 1st round picks

or

Milan Lucic LW
Johnny Boychuck D
Doug Hamilton (top prized "D" prospect)
Ryan Spooner (LW top prospect)
2012 or 2013 1st round pick (LA's discretion)

Old
01-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Why? They didn't want to trade Hemsky previously, so why would they do it now, and for less than what Penner cost?
I think they may have had designs on keeping Hemsky or perhaps Tambellini was asking too much. He is an idiot, so who really knows?

There have been comments from Hemsky in the press that would indicate he isnt happy with the coach (Renney) and there have been comments from Renney indicating he isnt exactly thrilled with Hemsky.

Hemsky's body language has suggested he wants out of Edmonton. This along with his comments, and the rumours are starting to fly.

Hemsky's production has been down this year. Mostly because of a slow start. He has been coming on of late. Combine that with the fact that he is now a pure rental on an expiring contract and his trade value is most likely less than it was a year ago.

I dont think that he would cost less than Penner, but the risk could be mitigated with a conditional pick based on him re-signing with the Kings or whoever he is traded to.

He will most likely be one of the more sought after pieces this deadline though. Looking through this thread and seeing names like Tangradi and Brassard seem to indicate that. Ruutu would be another player that will most likely be available. There has also been some talk in Edmonton that Smyth could be dealt as a rental and then re-signed by the Oilers in the summer.

Hemsky is likely a better option for offense than all those guys. The Kings dont really have a forward with his skillset either, which makes him even more attractive for you guys. He is better than Williams, Gagne or anyone not named Richards or Kopitar.

The Kings need to do something. They cant score goals. Murray or Sutter it doesnt matter. The problem lies with the lack of a dynamic offensive player like Hemsky. The cost would probably be a first round pick and Voynov. If you guys are ok with the status quo and taking your chances then fine, but if you want Lombardi to do something for THIS season, then Hemsky makes a lot of sense. And it is very possible that he would re-sign with the Kings imo.

You guys dont need Voynov with Doughty and JJ, he is redundant, and the first round pick most likely isnt going to help you guys anytime soon either. The Kings went out and got Richards because they want to do something NOW. Win a playoff series and see where that goes. Giving up good young players like Simmonds and Schenn isnt something you do if you are ok with gutting it out with what you have.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:17 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
A young player that can grow with our core? Last I checked, New York Islanders core is even younger than the Kings. I don't see the motivation to move Grabner.

Calgary on the other hand is a mess. Their core is too old and they're not deep enough to win now. The facination with Iginla begins with a proven track record of being an elite offensive winger. It continues with his unparalleled work ethic and it ends with his off-ice character. That, to me, is much more fascinating than a 24 year old winger with 43 career goals on this resume that can "grow with our core."

Iginla certainly is not a long term answer but in this day of unrestricted free agency at 25, the uncertainty of a potential lock out in the very near future and 5 years of the latest rebuild sitting in the rear-view mirror, this core's time is now.
The cost for Iginla would be prohibitive. Not to mention I doubt if he is even available.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:18 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
I think they may have had designs on keeping Hemsky or perhaps Tambellini was asking too much. He is an idiot, so who really knows?

There have been comments from Hemsky in the press that would indicate he isnt happy with the coach (Renney) and there have been comments from Renney indicating he isnt exactly thrilled with Hemsky.

Hemsky's body language has suggested he wants out of Edmonton. This along with his comments, and the rumours are starting to fly.

Hemsky's production has been down this year. Mostly because of a slow start. He has been coming on of late. Combine that with the fact that he is now a pure rental on an expiring contract and his trade value is most likely less than it was a year ago.

I dont think that he would cost less than Penner, but the risk could be mitigated with a conditional pick based on him re-signing with the Kings or whoever he is traded to.

He will most likely be one of the more sought after pieces this deadline though. Looking through this thread and seeing names like Tangradi and Brassard seem to indicate that. Ruutu would be another player that will most likely be available. There has also been some talk in Edmonton that Smyth could be dealt as a rental and then re-signed by the Oilers in the summer.

Hemsky is likely a better option for offense than all those guys. The Kings dont really have a forward with his skillset either, which makes him even more attractive for you guys. He is better than Williams, Gagne or anyone not named Richards or Kopitar.

The Kings need to do something. They cant score goals. Murray or Sutter it doesnt matter. The problem lies with the lack of a dynamic offensive player like Hemsky. The cost would probably be a first round pick and Voynov. If you guys are ok with the status quo and taking your chances then fine, but if you want Lombardi to do something for THIS season, then Hemsky makes a lot of sense. And it is very possible that he would re-sign with the Kings imo.

You guys dont need Voynov with Doughty and JJ, he is redundant, and the first round pick most likely isnt going to help you guys anytime soon either. The Kings went out and got Richards because they want to do something NOW. Win a playoff series and see where that goes. Giving up good young players like Simmonds and Schenn isnt something you do if you are ok with gutting it out with what you have.
Slava has been playing better than Drew and Jack. He is not going anywhere, you are looking at A-Mart or Hickey as the only puck movers going in any trade.

Jack+ would only be moved for an Elite winger. Also since the Forward pipeline is empty the Kings can't afford to give up the First this year (Or any pick really).

Old
01-09-2012, 04:18 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Hemsky does not solve anything for the Kings. If Kings fans want to be truthful with ourselves; the Kings need TWO top six wingers one of them being ELITE (Nash, Parise type).

Then the Bottom six needs a complete overhaul most likely. All four lines must be able to have some speed/skill/grit. All four lines must be able to score, and play a little Defense.

Right now the Kings only have maybe two lines that can do that consistently.

And there is no help in Manchester; The pipeline is dry of ready forwards which is really killing the Kings right now.

You MUST draft TWO (potential) roster players every year(Lombardi's own words ironically). If you don't, you turn into what the Kings have right now.
Bingo. This Kings team is not who we thought they were. Bad bottom 6, bad top 6, fired a bad coach, have a bad captain and a bad GM. Heads still need to roll if they want to back up their accountability nonsense.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:19 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:

He's not worth either let alone both.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I like Hesmky, I really do. I wanted him last deadline over Penner despite his injury history, but he is not the answer this season. Maybe in the offseason during free agency depending on how things go, but not this year.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:23 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
He's not worth either let alone both.
Penner is worth a first and a prospect but Hemsky isnt even worth a first?

How does that work?

Old
01-09-2012, 04:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Not interested at all in Hemsky at the price of Voynov and a 1st round pick.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:24 PM
damacles1156

Quote:

How does that work?
Expiring Contract and Injury prone. Penner had a year left and was not an injury risk.

That would be my take on it.Kings if they wanted him bad enough, they could simply take a shot at him in Free agency. He doesn't solve the Problems with the Kings RIGHT NOW.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Seriously, why would the Kings waste anything of significant value for Hemsky? I'm not trying to knock him as a player but they already have enough players that are hurt on a regular basis. I'd go so far as to say I'd be pissed if they gave anythign more than a 3rd rounder for him. I wouldn't go after him in free agency either unless they are desperate. But they probably will be.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:26 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Slava has been playing better than Drew and Jack. He is not going anywhere, you are looking at A-Mart or Hickey as the only puck movers going in any trade.

Jack+ would only be moved for an Elite winger. Also since the Forward pipeline is empty the Kings can't afford to give up the First this year (Or any pick really).
Lets be serious here. The Oilers are not making a deal for Hickey or Martinez. Not for Hemsky. If the Kings want to keep three PMD on their roster while their top six wallows in obscurity then they are welcome to it. Eventually one of JJ, Doughty or Voynov are going to have to be moved to address areas of need. Doughty isnt going anywhere, nor should he. I dont think Lombardi would choose Voynov over JJ either. Nor would most objective King's fans.

The Kings arent in that bad of a spot. They just need some more offense from the top six. Everything else is more than ok. Also trading Stoll should be a non-starter.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:27 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:

How does that work?
Penner at the time was better than Hemsky is right now. Injuries and the fact he's a rental lower his value quite a bit more. Do not want him at all especially at the cost of our top prospect and 1st rounder.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:28 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Lets be serious here. The Oilers are not making a deal for Hickey or Martinez. Not for Hemsky. If the Kings want to keep three PMD on their roster while their top six wallows in obscurity then they are welcome to it. Eventually one of JJ, Doughty or Voynov are going to have to be moved to address areas of need. Doughty isnt going anywhere, nor should he. I dont think Lombardi would choose Voynov over JJ either. Nor would most objective King's fans.
I wouldn't move anything for Hemsky, is what I am trying to tell you BRO. Get the Hint yet ? He doesn't solve what is wrong with the Kings roster. No matter how much you think he does.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:28 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post

And when Iginla retires in a few seasons the Kings can erect a statue of him right next to Gretzky.

As far as Grabner goes, it depends on what the Islanders need. I have seen threads on the main board discussing a deal centered around Grabner and Johnson.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I'm quite objective and I would choose any defenseman on the roster besides Drewiske over Jack given that Jack has better trade value than most of those defensemen AND I'm fed up with Jack's defensive mistakes.

I don't want Hemsky though. Had enough of the injury prone guys. We just signed one and he's going to be out for a long time. I wouldn't trade our first for anyone but the top 1% of players in the league. We need it, we aren't good enough to send it away for rental.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:33 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Seriously, why would the Kings waste anything of significant value for Hemsky? I'm not trying to knock him as a player but they already have enough players that are hurt on a regular basis. I'd go so far as to say I'd be pissed if they gave anythign more than a 3rd rounder for him. I wouldn't go after him in free agency either unless they are desperate. But they probably will be.
What else is out there? Are you ok with standing pat? Taking a run at Parise (assuming he doesnt re-sign with NJ) along with every other big market team in the league? How many times do the Kings have to finish second place in the high profile ufa sweepstakes before they figure out another way?

Old
01-09-2012, 04:35 PM
SFKingshomer

Why all the love for Tangradi? He's 2 days younger than Hickey who is considered a bust of HF despite making the AHL AS team after battling back from injuries. Put Hickey on an avg. AHL offensive team and he's got 25 pts. in 38 games.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:35 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
What else is out there? Are you ok with standing pat? Taking a run at Parise (assuming he doesnt re-sign with NJ) along with every other big market team in the league? How many times do the Kings have to finish second place in the high profile ufa sweepstakes before they figure out another way?
See post #429 The Kings have a lot of work ahead of them. Hemsky does not solve that. The Kings are most likely going to have to draft their way out of this mess. The cap era requires Entry level guys to produce sooner, and at a decent rate.

The Kings can't afford to be drafting the Trevor lewis's of the world. They need to be hitting on the draft picks (which requires you keep them).

Old
01-09-2012, 04:36 PM
bobafettish*

**** offense just load up on D, sign Suter in the offseason.

Closed Thread