HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
funky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post
If he's cheap, why not, he might really click here, we have a couple of young russians in his age group that would probably help him to settle. We need left wing depth, and we wouldn't be able to acquire someone of his skillset cheaply unless he was a pain in the ass, or made of glass.
Filatov for Hickey - both boys need a fresh start

Old
01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
This is completely wrong. Szczechura had to clear waivers at the start of the year, which he did. Since he is making less than 105K in the AHL he is not eligible for re-entry waivers. You are confusing this, 105K IS ONLY FOR RE-ENTRY WAIVERS, not regular waivers. Regular waivers have nothing to with clauses, only with games played and years since first pro contract. Since Szczechura has cleared waivers already this season, he has to play in more than 10 games, or be on the pro roster for 30 days to eligible for waivers again.

One-way/two-way has nothing to do with waivers. Clifford will be waiver eligible next season most likely due to games played, but would be waiver eligible after his ELC contract expired no matter what contract he signs after that. He could sign a league minimum two way deal, but would still have to clear waivers to go down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
I think it's the section dealing with two-way contracts for older players. It used to be solely based on number of NHL games played, but now it's based on age and number of years the player has been under contract. That's why guys like Clune, Cliche, and Campbell have to pass through waivers to go to the AHL despite being younger players. Because they are on there second or third procontract and have a certain number of years of pro hockey experience. Same thing with older players, there a clause that after a certain amount of time missed to injury or playing in the minors a player can sign an NHL deal (at a certain amount of money or lower) and be sent directly to the AHL with out passing through waivers, that was the case with J.S. Aubin when he was a King a few years ago. But to my knowledge a two way deal only determines the amount of money a player makes in the NHL versus in the AHL.

Yea found it last night you're right. I was wrong. It only applies to re-entry waivers on the salary eligibility. It can only apply to players under 25 under certain circumstances but none of those have to do with a one or two way contract.

I apologize to Chazz he had it right! Good discussion though. Ah the CBA. I always learn something about you, even after 5 years. Like a good piece of cake...

Old
01-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Meh. I like Filatov, but I wouldn't give up Hickey for him. He is actually progressing and proving he can stay healthy. I still think he will be a 3-4 puck moving defenseman in the mold of a less productive Visnovsky in the NHL. I'm completely open to moving him, but Filatov wouldn't require that kind of payment, could get him for much less from Ottawa. We also have the Russian connection with our youth and perhaps Loktionov & Voynov can convince him of what he needs to do...

If I were to trade Hickey, I would look for players like Paajarvi or Boedker and throw in an extra pick or lower tier prospect.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
01-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Martyros

I wouldn't trade anything more than a 5th round pick for Filatov. I still think he can turn it around, but it's just too big of a risk to throw anything as useful as Hickey.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
I wouldn't trade anything more than a 5th round pick for Filatov. I still think he can turn it around, but it's just too big of a risk to throw anything as useful as Hickey.
+1

Filatov is not worth that risk at all.

Maybe it's just me, and maybe i'll be waiting a while, but I am waiting for Hickey to just have a balls to the wall awesome camp or offseason or something and come in and surprise the **** out of the naysayers.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:

Maybe if they threw in a 2nd or a 3rd.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Maybe if they threw in a 2nd or a 3rd.
Or Nick Foligno

one can wish.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Awesome avatar.
Same to you, love Deadwood.
Plus between the Kings playing every game in OT/SO (needing last minute heroics) and the Jets quickly sliding out of playoffs (needing a heroic last part of the season) I figure it is very appropriate. Kings do manage to damage my calm quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
$105,000 is for re-entry waivers, that's correct. The point though is that when you are on a one-way contract, you are guaranteed to be paid your NHL salary whether in the NHL or the AHL. The NHL minimum salary is $525,000. Therefore, all players on one-way contracts would be getting a minimum of $525,000 in the AHL, meaning all one-way contracts would be eligible to have to clear waivers. There isn't one player on a one-way contract who wouldn't have to clear waivers outside of some players on an ELC which mostly applies to guys like Kyle Clifford.
Off the top of my head, you are right, all players on one-way's have to clear waivers (and re-entry). The same is not true for the other way around though was the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Yea found it last night you're right. I was wrong. It only applies to re-entry waivers on the salary eligibility. It can only apply to players under 25 under certain circumstances but none of those have to do with a one or two way contract.

I apologize to Chazz he had it right! Good discussion though. Ah the CBA. I always learn something about you, even after 5 years. Like a good piece of cake...
It took me a long long time and alot of corrective (and sometimes condescending) posts from CBA experts to get the CBA rules right, so I try to clarify for others when I can (and try not to be condescending or rude, sorry if I was at all).

Old
01-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Mxpunk

Saw Brandon Yip was placed on waivers by Colorado. I've always been a fan of him since he played college hockey in Boston. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him because he's a small cap hit and could add to our team in terms of potential scoring and net presence.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:19 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Pass, big time. I could stomach a 5th for Filatov (though i don't want him at all) but Hickey is still a useful asset. I think if he was on another team, he'd be playing in the NHL already, maybe even last year as well.

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, and maybe i'll be waiting a while, but I am waiting for Hickey to just have a balls to the wall awesome camp or offseason or something and come in and surprise the **** out of the naysayers.
I doubt he'll do that but I think he'll make the Kings next year somehow, unless he's dealt at the trade deadline this year. His biggest problem is the fact LA's D has been freakishly healthy this year outside of Drew's early season injury. Of Mitchell, DD, JMFJ, Scuds and Greene, Drew's missed five games and Willie's missed 6. That's it. Knock on wood, but that's unreal healthy. Add in that A-Mart and DD44 are around and Hickey won't likely get a sniff this year unless the wheels real fall off the cart and we are out of the playoff picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk View Post
Saw Brandon Yip was placed on waivers by Colorado. I've always been a fan of him since he played college hockey in Boston. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him because he's a small cap hit and could add to our team in terms of potential scoring and net presence.
I used to like Yip too, but he's really tailed off since his hot start a few years ago. I don't see him as an improvement on anyone we have now, not even Lewis.

Old
01-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

It took me a long long time and alot of corrective (and sometimes condescending) posts from CBA experts to get the CBA rules right, so I try to clarify for others when I can (and try not to be condescending or rude, sorry if I was at all).
Ah no way man. I get ya. You didn't seem condescending to me. I appreciate the clarification big time.

Old
01-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

I doubt he'll do that but I think he'll make the Kings next year somehow, unless he's dealt at the trade deadline this year. His biggest problem is the fact LA's D has been freakishly healthy this year outside of Drew's early season injury. Of Mitchell, DD, JMFJ, Scuds and Greene, Drew's missed five games and Willie's missed 6. That's it. Knock on wood, but that's unreal healthy. Add in that A-Mart and DD44 are around and Hickey won't likely get a sniff this year unless the wheels real fall off the cart and we are out of the playoff picture.

Ya know we say it every year....that the defensive group is going to be super competitive...but you got to think that next year and the following year are going to be amazing.

Let's say Mitchell resigns for a year. Next year going into the start of the season we have spots assured to

DD: Greene, Mitchell, Scuderi OD: Johnson Doughty

Competing: Voynov (amazing NHL start) Martinez (still a young serviceable bottom pairing) Hickey (Coming off his best AHL year) Drewiske (same as Martinez), Muzzin (Still learning the ropes)

Then the following year we have contractual spots assured to

DD: Greene OD: Johnson, Doughty,

Challenging: Hickey, Voynov (RFA) Martinez (RFA) Forbort, Deslauriers, Gravel, Muzzin, Drewiske (UFA, I think he walks)

Not to mention there are guys like Mullen, Kolomatis, and Campbell who sometimes get overlooked but could pull a Martinez and just come out of nowhere...

Taking that all into perspective...something just has to give...we have way too many good young defensemen who won't likely get a shot for AT LEAST 3 years. Probably one of the best problems a team could have.

Old
01-18-2012, 04:27 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Ya know we say it every year....that the defensive group is going to be super competitive...but you got to think that next year and the following year are going to be amazing.

Let's say Mitchell resigns for a year. Next year going into the start of the season we have spots assured to

DD: Greene, Mitchell, Scuderi OD: Johnson Doughty

Competing: Voynov (amazing NHL start) Martinez (still a young serviceable bottom pairing) Hickey (Coming off his best AHL year) Drewiske (same as Martinez), Muzzin (Still learning the ropes)

Then the following year we have contractual spots assured to

DD: Greene OD: Johnson, Doughty,

Challenging: Hickey, Voynov (RFA) Martinez (RFA) Forbort, Deslauriers, Gravel, Muzzin, Drewiske (UFA, I think he walks)

Not to mention there are guys like Mullen, Kolomatis, and Campbell who sometimes get overlooked but could pull a Martinez and just come out of nowhere...

Taking that all into perspective...something just has to give...we have way too many good young defensemen who won't likely get a shot for AT LEAST 3 years. Probably one of the best problems a team could have.
While I've been impressed with Kolomatis this year, I think if any of those three emerges it will be Campbell. Management seems really high on him.

Old
01-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Dominic Moore is reportedly being discussed in trade talks between Tampa Bay and a couple of unnamed clubs. He's a player I have been very fond of since he was breaking in as a prospect with the Rangers. Not necessarily highly skilled but a very polished two-way center with speed to burn who could add another strong faceoff winner to the fourth line. It would give the Kings a lot more depth that is much needed for a playoff run.

Old
01-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
While I've been impressed with Kolomatis this year, I think if any of those three emerges it will be Campbell. Management seems really high on him.
I agree with you 100%.

Campbell is just super alluring as a defensemen. Has has all the tools. Decent skater, great reach, big guy. I think if the Kings see any player in the system as a just straight Defensive Dman they can develop, it's Campbell

Old
01-18-2012, 05:09 PM
voynov26

Two things I want to talk about.
1 - What is Dean waiting for?
2 - How come there's no LOVE to get Vbrata? Just curious.

Old
01-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by voynov26 View Post
2 - How come there's no LOVE to get Vbrate? Just curious.
1. Prices and availability. Things are much easier in our imaginations and video games, but in the real world, everyone is competing for the Stanley Cup, there is serious money involved, and trades are a serious matter. Teams don't want to make a deal until they must and just because a fair offer is on the table doesn't mean they should make a move, want to, or interrupt any complex social mechanics of the team.

2. Vrbata is one of Phoenix's best players, we are in the same division, they are only 2 points out of the playoffs. Why would they trade such a player to a team they are competing with for the postseason?

Old
01-18-2012, 05:25 PM
voynov26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
1. Prices and availability. Things are much easier in our imaginations and video games, but in the real world, everyone is competing for the Stanley Cup, there is serious money involved, and trades are a serious matter. Teams don't want to make a deal until they must and just because a fair offer is on the table doesn't mean they should make a move, want to, or interrupt any complex social mechanics of the team.

2. Vrbata is one of Phoenix's best players, we are in the same division, they are only 2 points out of the playoffs. Why would they trade such a player to a team they are competing with for the postseason?
Thanks Telos.

He's their best player just this year. But I have been wanting this guy 2 years ago. If the Coyotes don't make it do you see him being moved at all?

Old
01-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Thanks Telos.

He's their best player just this year. But I have been wanting this guy 2 years ago. If the Coyotes don't make it do you see him being moved at all?
Maybe if they are a longshot, not if it's only a few points out of a spot.

Old
01-18-2012, 05:35 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
2 - How come there's no LOVE to get Vbrata? Just curious.
It takes two to tango, my friend.

Old
01-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Not necessarily highly skilled but a very polished two-way center with speed to burn who could add another strong faceoff winner to the fourth line. It would give the Kings a lot more depth that is much needed for a playoff run.
No offense but why would we need a center like this? Lokti's not playing that bad and Fraser is annoying other teams. The only upside I see there is faceoffs. Although that's important, I don't see it being worth shaking up a position that we already are fine in. We have enough depth on C (at least in relation to a scoring winger -which we don't at all have any depth).

Old
01-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Thanks Telos.

I don't think so. If I were running the Coyotes, I wouldn't move him. This is a contract year for Doan, he is entering his twilight, he might be moved or leave via free agency. Phoenix is an in-betweener and they have a lot of good youth with a great coach. Vrbata is signed for 2 more years, at a discount price, and one of the veteran leaders of the team and an excellent backup behind Doan.

LA and Phoenix are bad trading partners. We are both looking for similar things. They are looking for forwards, they have a good defense, a great defensive depth chart, where they are lacking is quality forwards and forward prospects.

If I had to make up a proposal to the Coyotes, I would think of something around: Kozun + Weal + Zatkoff for MacLean + Hextall

Old
01-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
A name that never gets tossed around, probably because Dallas is still in the thick of it, but who'd be a great fit here in LA is Ryder.

Forbort for Ryder?

Old
01-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
A name that never gets tossed around, probably because Dallas is still in the thick of it, but who'd be a great fit here in LA is Ryder.

Forbort for Ryder?
That's a steep price. I like him, but as you pointed out. Dallas is in the thick of things, and Ryder brings quite a bit to their lineup given he was a big part of the Bruins' cup win and is signed reasonably through next season, which is probably why they would really want to hold onto him, to compete next year with their youth taking another step.

Old
01-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Johnny Utah

Dallas just signed Ryder to reunite with Ribiero and he is playing well.

Dominic Moore? He gets around more than my high school girlfriend, 5 teams in like 4 seasons. He is a center, something we have a ton of....We have one line that is all centers and another line that has 2 centers on it....

Kopitar, Richards, Stoll, Loki, Richardson, Lewis and Fraser.

Closed Thread