HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Real Talk: Alex Edler is a top ten defenseman

Old
12-30-2011, 04:45 PM
FacepalmBenning
FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Real Talk: Alex Edler is a top ten defenseman

Alex Edler has 28 points in 38 games and currently sits 4th overall amongst defensemen in points. I think it's now clear that he's evolved into our number one defenseman and certainly the best offensive defenseman on this team. While there's still some inconsistencies in his defensive game we've watched him evolve from an unknown third round pick into arguably a top ten defenseman in the game. And the man is only 25 years old. We've watched the slap shot and physical game evolve. We've seen Edler produce in the playoffs. In my mind getting Weber or any other elite defenseman is too lofty a goal. Especially since we already have one on the backend. I think the main priority of this team next season should be to lock Edler down long term (6 mil for 8 years) and concentrate on building the blue line around him.

I'd also like to mention how crazy the progression of most of the Canucks' key players have been. Most of them have come out of nowhere, Edler being a prime example. For as much flack as the scouting staff gets, I'd argue the Canucks have one of the better player development systems out there. And AV doesn't get enough credit for molding young players.

FacepalmBenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:51 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Talk about his qualities all you want, but the only way we can measure him as a top ten defenseman is by ranking all the defensemen.

Better than him for sure are Chara, Weber, Suter, Lidstrom, Keith, and Pronger (when healthy).

Near him are Seabrook, Enstrom, Girardi, Staal (when healthy), Hamhuis, Doughty, Letang, Yandle, Markov (when healthy), and Karlsson.

This puts him somewhere between 7th and 17th in my books.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:59 PM
vanwest

I wouldn't put Karlsson anywhere near Edler. His defence is very subpar. Since Markov is never healthy I'd take him off too. Agree with the rest.
That means that there are 6 clearly ahead of him. Then maybe Yandle and Letang. I'd probably put him after that with maybe Seabrook and Staal and ahead of Doughty at this point. Soon Lidstrom and Pronger will probably be out of that group although who knows with Lidstrom.

Last edited by vanwest: 12-30-2011 at 05:08 PM.
vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:25 PM
daik0n

weak defense, slow skate, hardly a top ten

daik0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:37 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by daik0n View Post
weak defense, slow skate, hardly a top ten
3 points... 3 wrong.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:47 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
I love how his hitting elevates during the playoffs. He definitely gets up to play the hawks. I remember that hit on doughty a few years back as well. heh.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:50 PM
WhatSayYou

He isn't even our best defenseman, Hamhuis is. Top 25 maybe.

WhatSayYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:53 PM
hackey
Oh Did I Offend You

A Top 10 defenceman would fetch him $6-7 Million in his next new contract... is that what you want?

So stop pumping his tires

And believe also that Hamhuis is the No 1
He's doing a fine job impersonating Duncan Keith

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:41 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSayYou View Post
He isn't even our best defenseman, Hamhuis is. Top 25 maybe.
Hamhuis is massively underrated.

Guy is fantastic defensively and is doing solid offensively this year.

That said, Hamhuis is probably a 30 point guy and Edler might be a 60 point guy.

Edler is solid enough in his own end most of the time and has games where he dominates. Hamhuis doesn't really do that. Hamhuis also doesn't really have the iffy games Edler has once in a while.

Edler is top 10, but not every night.

If he can find consistency then he's a Norris candidate.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:42 PM
VanEric

If he played for another team, we'd be coveting him as if he was a Top 10 defenseman, that's for sure.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Red

I don't know if I'd put him in the top 10 yet there's other dmen I'd take over him and though he's very good defensively he still needs to work on aspects of that - but top 15-20 definitely. Still pretty underrated for what he brings just because he's such a quietly efficient player excluding his one booming hit a year in the playoffs.

And absolutely agree that AV doesn't get enough credit for how he's worked with and developed young players.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 07:12 PM
AlexandreBurrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
A Top 10 defenceman would fetch him $6-7 Million in his next new contract... is that what you want?

And believe also that Hamhuis is the No 1
He's doing a fine job impersonating Duncan Keith
we have to pump his tires because tim thomas never does.

AlexandreBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 07:16 PM
timorousme
luongod

there's no way he's top 10, probably 15-20 but I'm not making a list.

still a damn fine piece.

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Bougieman

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post

Because they decide on how much to pay players depending on what people say on HFboards

I'd put Letang ahead of him as well, but yeah, he's in the lower part of the top ten for sure. Erhoff who?

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 07:41 PM
The Big Foot

This is only marginally on topic, but who's forgotten about Wade Redden being a top ten defenseman (in average salary)? He sure hasn't got a lot of face time on 24/7.

$6.5 a year! Nice one Sather.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 07:42 PM
GTHP95

Let's be reality, this guy here is a #1 stud.

GTHP95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:07 PM
billvanseattle

top 10-15 (ok 20), as are Hamhuis and Bieska right now, and Salo isn't far off.

We may not have a Norris trophy in the bunch, but then again the best player of the last 10 years Lidstrom didn't until he was 31.

I hope the Canucks throw a 15 yr $70 M package at Edler ...with a $10M first for signing, and spreading the rest out pretty evenly after that.

Yeah I know its probably not going to happen, but I honestly expect that would be the best thing the canucks could do.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:10 PM
tesplen

He's a great defenseman but he's not even the best d-man on the Canucks.

(hint: it's Hamhuis...massively underrated)

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Free Kassian

Hamhuis will continue to be massively underrated - in a similar fashion to Mattias Ohlund when he was in his prime - as long as he posts middle of the road offensive stats. Edler will always score more.

Free Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:29 PM
David71

hamhuis is undderated for his skillset alone. shuts down the top guys. hits and is a poise with the puck. HE is the glue of the defense imo. makes kevin bieska looks good on most nights. edler on the other hand is the canucks # 1 undisputed. hits/scores/ defensively he's alright. top 10? not yet. rank along 10-15 list then sure. edler is there.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
top 10-15 (ok 20), as are Hamhuis and Bieska right now, and Salo isn't far off.

We may not have a Norris trophy in the bunch, but then again the best player of the last 10 years Lidstrom didn't until he was 31.

I hope the Canucks throw a 15 yr $70 M package at Edler ...with a $10M first for signing, and spreading the rest out pretty evenly after that.

Yeah I know its probably not going to happen, but I honestly expect that would be the best thing the canucks could do.

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:59 PM
AmazingNuck

Edler is much too inconsistent to be considered a top 10 defenseman.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:57 PM
vadim sharifijanov
#bryantreevesbad

my post from the main board topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
but if he was truly a top 10 d-man we would have won last year.

as a canucks fan, i'd rank edler somewhere between 12 and 20.

as stated by other canucks fans upthread, edler has had dominant stretches, but has shown himself to be inconsistent as a true game changer. i liken this to phaneuf when he was a first team all-star, or weber two years ago, when he finished fourth for the norris and was a single third place vote away from being a second team all-star. i think both those guys were ahead of where edler currently is, but they were both overrated because they were big strong d-men who made highlight reel hits and had big shots from the point (plus the young guy who will improve factor that has historically gotten young guys undue norris and all-star votes-- see: gary suter in the late 80s, niedermayer in '89, arguably mike green). the flashy aspects of their games covered up the fact that neither were all that great defensively (yet). they weren't top 5 d-men in the league during those seasons, and edler is not a top ten guy in the league right now (though to be fair, few canucks fans would argue that he is-- if anyone is overrating edler, it's east coast media guys who look at his points totals and highlight reel hits and call him a norris dark horse).

now the amazing stretches we've seen, particularly that series against LA two years ago, if edler can do that consistently, he's a contender for top five d-man in the league status, and might even contend for a norris in career years. if he improves on his best play to date, he could be a bona fide norris contender year after year. but he's a long way away from that right now.

and i say all this despite the fact that edler is my favourite player in the league. if edler becomes as special as i think he can, we'll enjoy it when he gets there. for now, i'm happy to celebrate the great young player that he is instead of pretending he already is what he hopefully will become.

i like the hamhuis and ohlund comparison above. i'd extend that to compare edler to prime jovo. jovo also wasn't a true top ten, but because of his physical play and offensive stats people thought he was. ohlund was our true most important d-man during the WCE days, as is hamhuis... for now at least.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Depends on what we mean by a "top defensemen". If we mean "elite", then I disagree - he's capable of playing like one periodically, but he has not been able to do that over a consistent stretch of time a la the Lidstroms, Charas and Webers of the league. But I don't think it's too big of a stretch to say he's a Top 15 Defensemen.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Edler with Hamhuis' defensive consistency is a top 10 dman. With more consistent physical play reminiscent of playoff Edler on top of that and he's a top 5 dman with a legitimate shot at a Norris. I'm pulling for him to put it all together, but it's a huge leap for any player to make.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote