HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Real Talk: Alex Edler is a top ten defenseman

Old
12-31-2011, 04:57 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
He's 4th in points. Two of the guys ahead of him, Karlsson and Campbell are worse defensively, IMO. The only one ahead of him that's better is Weber. There's a number of players below him in terms of points who are clearly better overall defencemen. But he's defeinitely moved up the rankings this year.

As an aside, Vancouver has 3 of the top 30 defencemen in terms of points. And Salo is not far behind that group. Detroit is the only other team with 3 in the top 30.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:36 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Amazing how the team has "replaced" Ehrhoff so fluidly.

Last year's numbers:

Edler - 33 points (injury)
Bieksa - 22 points
Hamhuis - 23 points
Salo - 7 points (injury)

This year's projected numbers:

Edler - 13g, 60 points
Bieksa - 45 points (career high)
Hamhuis - 37 points (one off career high)
Salo - 14 goals and 36 points

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 03:33 AM
tesplen

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
A better version of Mattias Ohlund.
That remains to be seen. Edler is better than Ohlund offensively, sure. But overall, I'd take prime-era Ohlund over Edler as of right now. Ohlund was an absolute beast in the early 2000s. I hold hope that Edler can overtake Ohlund as the Canucks best-ever overall D-man in the future, though. But he hasn't, yet. Ohlund's still the best.

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
you objected to my comment:

Edler is top 10-15 (ok 20), as are Hamhuis and Bieska right now, and Salo isn't far off.

my point was the Canucks have 4 d-men that are all playing near the same level, and they are all playing as though they were in the top 20 in the NHL. A tad optomistic, but you know what I mean ...
Late reply here, but the way I read that is "Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Salo (okay, barely) are all top 10-20 defensemen." To me that is outrageously generous, especially Bieksa. I think that's one of those things that might sound right, but there would have to be MUCH more than 10 defensemen in the NHL who were top 10-20 defensemen.

They're all capable of playing at that level, I guess I'll give you that.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Tiranis

Some people simply have an unrealistic expectation of what a #1 D brings. I'm reading things like "he's not at his best every single game", "he's not consistently a physical presence", blah blah blah. Are the Sedins not Top 10 forwards right now? Do they not have at least 20 games a year where they're pretty marginal and don't make much of an impact? Do you think that Weber plays 82 games of the year at top level? Of course not. Hell, we even saw that last year in the playoffs when he had several awful games. Not to mention that Weber gets to play with Suter — Edler has never even seen a D partner that good.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:23 PM
skywarp75

Edler has all the tools, but hasnt yet found the consistency. As most people who closely follow the team know, Hamhuis is our best D.

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:17 PM
NuxFan09

Gillis has gotta get Edler signed long term. The guy really is the full package. He may not have the consistency part nailed down yet but he's getting better every year and so is his offense. He has literally improved every season and that's a sign that he'll become a top player in this league.

With all due respect to Hamhuis, Edler is the team's undisputed #1. AV has just chosen Hamhuis-Bieksa as the team's designated shutdown pairing so Edler gets underrated because he doesn't necessarily have the distinction of being the Canucks' go-to shutdown defenseman. However, I have no problem believing that if top shutdown duties were given to Edler he would be able to handle it as well his playing his usual role as the team's #1 powerplay quarterback.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:28 PM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
Edler has all the tools, but hasnt yet found the consistency. As most people who closely follow the team know, Hamhuis is our best D.
I go back and forth on that, but I can say for sure that Hamhuis is way better than I imagined he'd be when he signed. No complaints about that contract!

A different way of thinking about "top 10"...that would be a guy who would be A) a shoo-in for Team Canada or B) a top pairing guy on any other team in the world. Is Edler that good? Would he make Team Canada if this was an Olympic year? Would he definitely even make Team Sweden?

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:29 PM
The Big Foot

One more thing...

It's pretty awesome to even be having this debate about a guy who doesn't even crack top 50 in cap hit!

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Cogburn

Without going all communist with our defensive minutes like we did when Ehrhoff was in the mix, Edler is emerging more and more....as we all predicted he would.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
This.

Edler has been heavily overrated IMO by certain members of this fan base. He certainly has the tools to be an exceptional defenseman in this league, but he hasn't put it altogether quite yet. He is still prone to some pretty brutal mistakes defensively. He has a great shot that he either can not get on net or won't shoot at all depending on the time.

He has a great first pass out of the zone, and great vision on the PP especially (haven't seen it in awhile though). He is very versatile a defenseman, can turn on the finesse side and the rough and tumble style pretty fluidly, on a game-to-game basis.

What I'm saying is, he's a bit inconsistent, but has all the tools. If he can put it together, he can achieve Norris status, no doubt in my mind. Right now, I might get a bit of flak for this, but he's a smarter version of Dion Phaneuf. I think Hamhuis is our best defenseman as of now.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:27 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
I go back and forth on that, but I can say for sure that Hamhuis is way better than I imagined he'd be when he signed. No complaints about that contract!

A different way of thinking about "top 10"...that would be a guy who would be A) a shoo-in for Team Canada or B) a top pairing guy on any other team in the world. Is Edler that good? Would he make Team Canada if this was an Olympic year? Would he definitely even make Team Sweden?
Well they didn't bring him last time.

Depends on whether they insist on having Doug Murray on the team

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:29 PM
billvanseattle

just a note of interest ...

on tsn D player rankings this week

Edler 5
Bieska 17
Hamhuis 33
Salo 34

just a debate comment ....

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:06 AM
mrbitterguy

Quote:

Edler 5
Bieska 17
Hamhuis 33
Salo 34

is that a fantasy sports ranking? because it looks like it's sorted by points.

i can't imagine anyone could watch the bruins game from today and still think that edler is close to top 10 in the league. he's not a legit #1 guy, and he's not the best defenseman on the canucks.

mrbitterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:20 AM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterguy View Post

i can't imagine anyone could watch the bruins game from today and still think that edler is close to top 10 in the league. he's not a legit #1 guy, and he's not the best defenseman on the canucks.
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

But please continue to pass judgement on a player based on the mighty 1 game sample size.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:24 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterguy View Post

Yup, all based on one game.

Lidstrom finished -4 once, he should give back those Norris trophies.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:48 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Edler had a tough game today for sure, no reason to dismiss all his great play this year. Players are human, they're going to have off games. Let's see how he bounces back without his partner.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:03 PM
LaVal

I find it funny when people talk about how Edler's consistency is holding him back. If he played consistent in all areas of the game every night, we wouldn't be having this thread because he'd be a franchise defensemen. There's a reason why the truly elite are in a category of their own. There are only a very small handful of defensemen who are flawless night after night, and even they have bad games.

LaVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Exastick

Quote:

Edler 5
Bieska 17
Hamhuis 33
Salo 34

Honestly, Hamhuis makes Bieksa better. I really don't think Bieksa would be where he is now without Hamhuis just because Hamhuis is so steady of a defenseman. Don't get me wrong here, Bieksa has games where he's absolutely amazing, but that doesn't happen without Hamhuis.

Salo (to a lesser extent) covers for Edler, kind of in the way Hamhuis does for Bieksa, but to a lesser extent. I kind of like seeing it as Salo mentoring Edler into becoming a bit more consistent and to get that shot on net. Edler has a great shot, he just doesn't seem to find the holes to shoot it and if he does he doesn't get it on net much.

My two cents.

Exastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Exastick

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Yup, all based on one game.

Lidstrom finished -4 once, he should give back those Norris trophies.
Rome scored in back to back games. Give him the Maurice Richard, Art Ross, Norris, and Hart now!

Exastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:59 AM
Tank Hankerous*

Edler had a bad day. He just chose to have it on a day where the entire hockey world was watching, and a game that was easily the most scrutinized, so every mistake was magnified.

If he had that game tomorrow no one would really care for more than 24 hrs.

He's got the tools to be even better than he is. D-men mature slower than forwards and he is coming into his own. I'm not saying he's going to be Lidstrom, but Lidstrom didn't win a Norris until he was 31, and 10 years into his career.

Tank Hankerous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Jrtu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Alex Edler has 28 points in 38 games and currently sits 4th overall amongst defensemen in points. I think it's now clear that he's evolved into our number one defenseman and certainly the best offensive defenseman on this team. While there's still some inconsistencies in his defensive game we've watched him evolve from an unknown third round pick into arguably a top ten defenseman in the game. And the man is only 25 years old. We've watched the slap shot and physical game evolve. We've seen Edler produce in the playoffs. In my mind getting Weber or any other elite defenseman is too lofty a goal. Especially since we already have one on the backend. I think the main priority of this team next season should be to lock Edler down long term (6 mil for 8 years) and concentrate on building the blue line around him.

I'd also like to mention how crazy the progression of most of the Canucks' key players have been. Most of them have come out of nowhere, Edler being a prime example. For as much flack as the scouting staff gets, I'd argue the Canucks have one of the better player development systems out there. And AV doesn't get enough credit for molding young players.
I love having Edler on this team,
and I'm all for locking him down long-term.

I'd give him 5mil/yr on a 6~8 year contract.
However, he should not be earning more than the Sedins & Kesler.

Jrtu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:56 PM
thefeebster

Maybe people are starting to realize?

Lebrun has him #4 in the Norris race. And an interesting blurb along with it.

http://t.co/FEjUwP4S

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesplen View Post
That remains to be seen. Edler is better than Ohlund offensively, sure. But overall, I'd take prime-era Ohlund over Edler as of right now. Ohlund was an absolute beast in the early 2000s. I hold hope that Edler can overtake Ohlund as the Canucks best-ever overall D-man in the future, though. But he hasn't, yet. Ohlund's still the best.
Yup - though it's difficult to say how an Ohlund *in his prime* would've faired in THIS NHL (post-lockout) as he was showing signs of age in his last few years here.

The perfect shutdown D you want to play against the other team's best forward. Ohlund's mean streak was also an edge (not afraid to lay the lumber if provoked).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 01:29 PM
sansbruit

woo
finally our drafting is paying dividends
Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa Raymond Hansen, then Schneider and now the Hodgster

sansbruit is offline   Reply With Quote