HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mark Cundari and Reto Berra

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 08:50 PM
flameaholic

vCash: 500
Mark Cundari and Reto Berra

Discuss..

Old
04-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Flames 1st pick

According to Feaster
Cundari is one of the best dmen in the AHL
Berra is one of the two best goalies outside of the NHL

So as long as they stay out of the NHL..it's a good deal

Old
04-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Devonator

2 scrubs that will never likely play ever in the NHL. Classic trade yet again by Feaster.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Anyone who actually knows about the prospects?

Old
04-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Passchendaele

Grandson of Yogi?

Old
04-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

vCash: 50
I don't know much about Berra, seems like many Blues fans wrote him off long ago since he showed no intention in coming over to North America. That has apparently changed recently, however. He could be a wild card - it's just the nature of the goaltending position.

Cundari is an undersized defensemen who plays a gritty game for a guy his size. Has some decent offensive instincts as well. I've heard that his defensive game needs work though. Might end up being just a little too undersized to have any significant impact at the NHL level, so he seems like he'll be a good AHL'er (was the Rivermen's ASG representative, I believe) who would be first or second in line for a call-up if injuries hit the big club. Depth guy, basically.

I wouldn't bet money on either guy being a regular NHL'er, but there's a small amount of potential in both guys.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Chileiceman

I loved watching Cundari when he was on the Spitfires, especially his last year there. He was a fast puck moving defenseman in those days. No idea how his development has gone in the pros. Being undersized is not really an issue in Junor but it is in the pros. I still hope he makes it to the show.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:59 PM
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
According to Feaster
Cundari is one of the best dmen in the AHL
Berra is one of the two best goalies outside of the NHL

So as long as they stay out of the NHL..it's a good deal
Really? I very much doubt he's better than Barulin, Rämö and Salak. Then there's Ericsson, Raanta, Gustafsson, Vehanen and some other pretty good goalies in Europe as well. Berra might make the top 5, but he's by no means the 2nd best goalkeeper playing in Europe right now..

Old
04-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Discuss..
Honestly, why do you make these threads? Save Flames fans some embarrassment. These just become a pool for haters to pile on the insults.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:10 PM
flameaholic

Flames believe Berra is the 2nd best goalie not currently playing in the NHL, behind Ramo. Could be a future 1 or 1A goalie in the NHL. Anyone know who Victor Fasth was before this season?

Cundari looks to have 3rd pair (#5/6) D-man potential.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:13 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Flames believe Berra is the 2nd best goalie not currently playing in the NHL, behind Ramo. Could be a future 1 or 1A goalie in the NHL. Anyone know who Victor Fasth was before this season?

Not posting .906 in the Swiss league.

Gustasfvson was also the best goalie not in the NHL at one point

Last edited by topchowda: 04-01-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old
04-01-2013, 10:21 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Not posting .906 in the Swiss league.

Gustasfvson was also the best goalie not in the NHL at one point
I think its a terrible trade, but stat check much

Old
04-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:

plenty of people knew who Fasth was.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Hugh Janus*

Gustavsson was the best goalie not in the NHL a while ago, look where that turned out kidding, kidding, looks like he's doing okay this year.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:28 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I think its a terrible trade, but stat check much
Hes a good goalie not denying that, but to blindly call him best goalie not in NHL is not correct either

Old
04-01-2013, 10:30 PM
CraigBillington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
Really? I very much doubt he's better than Barulin, Rämö and Salak. Then there's Ericsson, Raanta, Gustafsson, Vehanen and some other pretty good goalies in Europe as well. Berra might make the top 5, but he's by no means the 2nd best goalkeeper playing in Europe right now..
Sarcasm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Honestly, why do you make these threads? Save Flames fans some embarrassment. These just become a pool for haters to pile on the insults.
My guess is to gain a bit of knowledge about these relatively unknown assets his team just acquired since this is probably the best spot on the boards to do so...

Old
04-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

IIRC Cundari had a good 1st year in the AHL, I seem toiremember some Blues fans saying he was going to be a callup soon. Haven't heard much since.

Berra, I didn't think he was ever going to come over. He had good potential after the draft year and looked like a player, but then again, looked like a career European player.

After seeing Flames fans post what they wanted from Detroit in return for Jbo, I feel sorry for them. They should have gotten more than a 1st and two prospects that likely won't make the NHL.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:18 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Hes a good goalie not denying that, but to blindly call him best goalie not in NHL is not correct either
I never said he was but Biel sucked the last few years. It will be interesting to see how this plays out maybe Ramo said he wouldn't come over so Calgary moved on to the next option only time will tell.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Leperus Leprechuan

Cundari is good, plays just like Giordano.
He's short but strong as an ox.
Top pairing guy right now in AHL, #5 guy in NHL who can put 20-30 points during a good year IMO.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Leperus Leprechuan

Swiss fans are very high on Berra they say hes better than Hiller already. He told his team he will be going to N.A next season so looks like a Ramo/Berra tandem for the Flames, hopefully one of them can be the next Kipper!

Old
04-02-2013, 01:01 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abars View Post
Cundari is good, plays just like Giordano.
He's short but strong as an ox.
Top pairing guy right now in AHL, #5 guy in NHL who can put 20-30 points during a good year IMO.
I have seen quite a few games of Peoria versus the Griffins and a couple in person when they take on the Admirals in Milwaukee. The description above of Cundari is pretty accurate. One of the only guys to bother Tatar and Nyquist at that level this year and the big guys in Milwaukee. He plays a very physical brand of hockey for a smaller guy and is a solid stay at home kind of guy. Think he will make the league and people will like him for his effort.

Don't think much of the swiss goaltender, watched some NLA games during the lockout. He looks big and all but sometimes his lateral movement isn't the greatest. He will need to really focus and have a good off-season to beat out Ramo who I think is a much better player overseas. As for the Flames scouts saying he and Ramo are the best goaltenders outside NA, I don't agree with that. I don't know that Berra is top five. Certainly the NLA has put out a couple good goalies I am just not sold, although the D over there really does allow a lot of quality opportunities so he could prove people like me very wrong. He certainly doesn't bail a lot of them out in the games I have witnessed.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:11 AM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abars View Post
Swiss fans are very high on Berra they say hes better than Hiller already. He told his team he will be going to N.A next season so looks like a Ramo/Berra tandem for the Flames, hopefully one of them can be the next Kipper!
... what?

Berra is ok and stuff (I'm still not sold on him, but the whole country is fanboying like crazy, so there must be something), but he's not close to Hiller at the moment. I even doubt that he's close to the 26 years old Hiller.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:34 AM
jonas2244

I think Berra is close to the level Hiller had when he left Switzerland. He played two very strong years with Biel and led a mediocre team to the playoffs. I don't know how much progress he can still make but he's definitly worth a shot. Low risk, maybe high reward.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:43 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Both are fringy NHL types, IMO.

Berra is pretty highly regarded, but he isnt going to make a transition like Fasth, and may not stick around if he doesnt see the NHL quickly.

Cundari has been a great AHL defenseman, but he wouldnt be the first undersized defenseman who couldnt transition to the NHL. Not sure what his role is going to be in the NHL though, its really tough to be an undersized defensive defenseman.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:09 AM
BlueSinceBirth

I remember hearing reports of fans at the Blues prospect camp a few years ago saying Berra performed the best in that camp. That does show that he has atleast been to North America. I think Berra could be an NHL netminder, but I seem him as one of those guys that you trade a conditional 7th for to take a chance on.

I had no idea you could sign undrafted 18 and 19 year olds right after their draft year until the Blues signed Cundari. He seemed to be trending up this year for Peoria. If Berra comes over, this trade does not look too bad.

Closed Thread