HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs at WJC Part II (Gallagher, Bournival & Beaulieu CAN, Tinordi USA, Pribyl CZE)

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm struggling to find the correlation between a team giving up a lot to get him in a trade and him not sounding like a tool on twitter. You're going to have to help me out there.
stupid comments to make on a public forum like twitter to be sure...

but my first thought in reading that was:

- I wonder how much social media training the Habs give their prospects
- I wonder if PG will have a direct line of sight to this (i.e do the habs have a dedicated individual monitoring the "tweetting" & other social media outlets of ALL the organizations on-ice assets
- I wonder how the Habs will deal/react to it?

all I'll say is that any well run organization would have quick and obvious answers to all three questions... I'm not sure that the habs do/would.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:18 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
I'm struggling to find the correlation between a team giving up a lot to get him in a trade and him not sounding like a tool on twitter. You're going to have to help me out there.
To be honest, I thought his first post was funny. About them being 30-year-olds or whatever. When I saw the second post, I was pretty disgusted though.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:18 AM
MarkovsKnee

Beaulieu has a lot of maturing to do. I think he let up on that play out of frustration. You can see him throw back his head in anger & frustration, but he did get on the hoof once he realized the play was continuing. Still, he was benched after that and rightly so. Hopefully, he learns that despite the score, you never never stop playing. The kid is playing in the AHL next year, and maybe the year after that too. He has growing to do.

Gallagher struggled a bit through the first 2 periods, like his teammates did, but worked his ass off throughout the game. Despite his struggles, he didn't hurt his team, which is more than you can say for a lot of players on Team Canada. In the 3rd, he was a wonder kid. He just skated miles.

A couple of things about Gallagher: his hunched over skating reminds me a lot of Theoren Fleury. His play below the goal line and in front of net, also reminds me of Fleury. The biggest difference is that he doesn't have the kind of break away speed nor the skill level of Fleury. The kid is all effort tho and is no quitter.

One thing that impressed me about Gallagher is his ability to kick the puck to his stick while in stride. It's one of the reasons why he wins board battles and can accept bad passes.

He was a bright spot tonight. He stepped up when a lot of the top 6 forwards didn't.

Bournival. The best thing I can say about him is that he didn't do anything to hurt his team. Good defensively. Won face-offs. But doesn't provide any offense.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:19 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Why? He thought the play was dead and the game was 5-1 at the time. Cut him some slack.
Hey he's our prospect, but that's inexcusable. You never leave your D partner hung out to dry. Skate back. If they blow the whistle, cool. If not, get back in your ******* zone.

The whole team was just a mountain of **** until the 2nd goal went in. Too late. So many shots on posts and ****ing Huby not lifting his 2 foot shot above the pad. Very frustrating game.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:20 AM
NotProkofievian

Gallagher 3 points on Canada's last 4 goals.

You gallagher haters make me sick. The kid has been working his sack off all tournament. 41 goals, 44 goals, and probably 50 plus and a few games of not finishing in games we won anyway(actually, he scored 2 in 4), and you guys are ready to start writing him off.

This kid is an absolute warrior.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:21 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument View Post
My "Habs goggles". Funny... or should I say LoL. Way to insinuate something that isn't there.
The reality is that I never argued that Beaulieu made a mistake. He did and it was a pretty bad one at that. However, what I am saying is that he isn't solely to blame in this defeat. He's not "the one" responsible for the loss. He's not the reason Team Canada lost. Not even close. Don't blame one mistake in a freaking 6-5 loss. That's 6 goals allowed. SIX. Sure, let's put all the blame on one guy. Makes sense...
I haven't seen a single person blame him for hte loss. I've seen people say that he shouldn't have quit on that play. Because he shouldn't.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Pandemic

Yeah.. Watched the replay over and over. It doesn't look like Beaulieu quit on the play. For some reason, he thought the play was going to be called dead which is evident when he starts skating back as soon as he realizes it's not.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
If you're questioning his character (which it sounded like you were), it showed that a team thought highly enough of his leadership qualities to give up a lot of assets for his services. Again a poor forum for dressing room humor, but overall a great kid. Hopefully that clears up where I was coming from.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:25 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Right or Wrong, Hay lost, and quite arguably had the better team to work with.

I didn't like how he managed his bench, I'm sure others agree and some disagree. Never black and white in sport.

Regardless, Hay's team kept playing till the last second, and the overall attitude they showed in the 3rd period was a very positive reflection of the whole group.

that said, they did take several undisciplined penalties...

and I may be wrong, but from my personal experience with playing sport at the highest level, I saw Beaulieu's play as a mistake of focus, not attitude... something that happens often, and imo one of the things that most seperates the highest performers from the rest, even at the elite level.

Nothing that we saw from that play, or at least nothing that I saw from the TSN feed, showed a player who "quit" on the play or on his team.

Criticize Beaulieu all you want for making a mistake...

but for him to get benched after that, and, imo, for him to not play more than he did before that, was a mistake.

watching the Beaulieu play, and seeing only the surface gestures and passing judgement on them, shows a base level understanding of what elite sport (or really any level of competitive sport) is all about.

character mistakes and focus mistakes look the same in impact/result, but are far different in evaluating a player.
With bang on assessments like that I'm surprised you're not the coach of an NHL team.

He quit on the play. He was mad about getting called for a penalty and he quit on the play.

But hey, feel free to continue making condescending irrelevant remarks about how if we don't agree iwth you it's because we know nothing due to having not played elite level competitive sports

Old
01-04-2012, 12:26 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Yeah.. Watched the replay over and over. It doesn't look like Beaulieu quit on the play. For some reason, he thought the play was going to be called dead which is evident when he starts skating back as soon as he realizes it's not.
This is an amusing post.

He didn't quit on the play...he just assumed the play was dead based on nothing and decided to stop skating.

With honest assessments like that how can anyone disagree with you!

Old
01-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post

He quit on the play. He was mad about getting called for a penalty and he quit on the play.
so mr.expert psychologist, what about your vast knowledge and experience should lead us to believe your analysis of what was going on in Nathan Beaulieu's head at the time of the play?

Quote:
This is an amusing post.

He didn't quit on the play...he just assumed the play was dead based on nothing and decided to stop skating.

With honest assessments like that how can anyone disagree with you!
oh... I see, you've spoken with Nathan B. and thus have access to the "HONEST" assessment of why he reacted the way he did.

I guess that's what you were sharing with us above?

Old
01-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post

You gallagher haters make me sick. The kid has been working his sack off all tournament. 41 goals, 44 goals, and probably 50 plus and a few games of not finishing in games we won anyway(actually, he scored 2 in 4), and you guys are ready to start writing him off.

I've been watching Team Canada at the WJC since 1999 and Gallagher's performance could probably be my favorite from a Habs forward prospect during that span. That may also reflect on our drafting out of Canada since then, but nonetheless...

Old
01-04-2012, 12:31 AM
MarkovsKnee

Okay, I know that Ellis' tweet was wrong, but I have to admit I was thinking the same thing. When TSN showed Yakupov's photo on TV, I couldn't believe it was a 17-year-old kid. His eyes were psycho looking just really deep set and intense, and he looked 25, easy. OTOH, the picture alone made me think: Habs need to draft this guy. lol

Old
01-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post

Also drew the penalty for the first goal. He was the biggest reason Canada got back into the game.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:33 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
so mr.expert psychologist, what about your vast knowledge and experience should lead us to believe your analysis of what was going on in Nathan Beaulieu's head at the time of the play?

oh... I see, you've spoken with Nathan B. and thus have access to the "HONEST" assessment of why he reacted the way he did.

None of the Teenagers that compete at this level are quitters. Period. But they are inexperienced and emotional and have brain farts.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:34 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

LoL, it doesn't take an expert psychologist to see something like that happen and make an unbiased assessment on it.

It's really not a big deal, and in fact could be a good lesson for him. I just can't help but laugh at people trying to spin it like he didn't quit on the play.

I'm VERY confident I'm not the only one laughing at it either.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:34 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
Okay, I know that Ellis' tweet was wrong, but I have to admit I was thinking the same thing. When TSN showed Yakupov's photo on TV, I couldn't believe it was a 17-year-old kid. His eyes were psycho looking just really deep set and intense, and he looked 25, easy. OTOH, the picture alone made me think: Habs need to draft this guy. lol
That one was funny, at least I thought.

The one about moving there and getting his face beat in with a baseball bat to fit in was pretty distasteful.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
None of the Teenagers that compete at this level are quitters. Period. But they are inexperienced and emotional and have brain farts.
i actually wouldn't go that far...

even at the pro level you get guys that are soft mentally or "give-up" far too easy on plays.

some of the clips of the canada bench in the late second was pretty disappointing in terms of the body language, though that's often more a question of maturity.

some young athletes are "quitters", or perhaps more so "pouters", but with maturity and experience that can disappear.

every once in a while though, you have a young athlete that is so talented, and so misses out on quality coaching/mentorship early on, that they never mature beyond giving up when things get tough.

I don't think that anything about Beaulieu's play in that particular instances indicated a "quitter".

Old
01-04-2012, 12:39 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
LoL, it doesn't take an expert psychologist to see something like that happen and make an unbiased assessment on it.

clearly not, I mean who could doubt the unbiased assessment of a hockey fan

Old
01-04-2012, 12:42 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
clearly not, I mean who could doubt the unbiased assessment of a hockey fan
LoL, your contradictory and nonsensical posts have made me laugh several times throughout the night.

Thanks for the chuckles champ!

Old
01-04-2012, 12:51 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Pretty much this.

Universtalin is just being a hater. As if there's no half-way point between what Miller Time was suggesting, and Beaulieu being a quitter with a heart the size of a split pea.

Couldn't he just be a 19 year old making a stupid, emotional mistake?

Nope, he's a *****. Only possible conclusion.

Stupid play, but I don't for a minute think that he's a quitter. To be perfectly honest, Canada's entire D sucked tonight. Absolutely every single last one were mediocre at best.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
LoL, your contradictory and nonsensical posts have made me laugh several times throughout the night.

Thanks for the chuckles champ!
cheers, and hopefully you ain't driving tonight

Old
01-04-2012, 12:55 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

One last comment about Beaulieu before bed. This entire tournament must have been a humbling experience for him. He played very little and when he did play, he struggled. This is a 20 minute+ a night guy playing 4-5 minutes a game. It happened to Lats way back when and to LeBlanc and Bournival to some extent. Sometimes I feel it's better to get cut than it is to play a limited role. I really don't know what he got out of playing in this tournament. He's already played a huge role in winning a mem cup.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:57 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
If it's Game 7 of the Stanley Cup

I like reading your posts because you always provide pretty good insight. But Gormley is awesome. Harrington has been great all tournament too.

And the defenseman who was the worst (Hamilton) didn't get mentioned.
Harrington was putrid, so was Murray. As a pairing they were on 4 goals, and Murray was on a 5th.

Old
01-04-2012, 01:09 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Harrington was putrid, so was Murray. As a pairing they were on 4 goals, and Murray was on a 5th.
Yeah, Harrington had so much control over the puck bouncing off Murray all night.

Closed Thread