HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Amerks are everything Sabres should be

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2011, 12:32 AM
  #1
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,178
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Amerks are everything Sabres should be

The media is getting fed up too...

http://wgr550.com/Amerks-are-everyth...to-be/11866394

Quote:
Unlike in Buffalo, standing up for teammates isn't seen as a chore in Rochester, but as a duty. Tough guy Travis Turnbull, who last week immediately stepped into a fight last week after an Oklahoma City player ran the Amerks' goalie, did something similar Friday night. He explained why the team enjoys standing up for one another.

“I think it comes from being such a close-knit group,” he said. “We're basically a family here and we want to look out for each other. At the end of the game, a guy was going after Max (Legault) and I wanted to be the first guy in there. You have to pick up your teammates, that's how you win.”

Words like those have not – and could not – be spoken this year in Buffalo.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 08:22 AM
  #2
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
The Rochester players often travel to Buffalo to watch the Sabres play when games don't conflict. You have to wonder if it should be the other way around.
yea...

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 08:29 AM
  #3
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,020
vCash: 500
It's great but the Amerks aren't perfect, either.

I doubt WGR would be happy with a gritty team that didn't have any real elite offensive players and that was a barely above .500 team.

Granted, the injury situation in Buffalo has made it really tough on the Amerks. But, a lack of big time offensive talent was a huge hole in Rochester and still is.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:13 AM
  #4
ckg927
Registered User
 
ckg927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,570
vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
It's great but the Amerks aren't perfect, either.

I doubt WGR would be happy with a gritty team that didn't have any real elite offensive players and that was a barely above .500 team.

Granted, the injury situation in Buffalo has made it really tough on the Amerks. But, a lack of big time offensive talent was a huge hole in Rochester and still is.
True, but to be honest I'd rather have a team that busts its butts for 60 minutes win or lose and makes you HAPPY you spent your money to watch a game rather than watch a Sabre game-which, these days, makes you think "That's 3 hours of my life I'll never get back".

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:57 AM
  #5
Hal2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 372
vCash: 500
this was really only an issue during the game in boston with lucic....the Sabres have stood up for one another just fine since then. Why are we still making it out to seem otherwise? Dumb article

Hal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:10 AM
  #6
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,178
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
True, but to be honest I'd rather have a team that busts its butts for 60 minutes win or lose and makes you HAPPY you spent your money to watch a game rather than watch a Sabre game-which, these days, makes you think "That's 3 hours of my life I'll never get back".
That's the point of the article IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Granted, the injury situation in Buffalo has made it really tough on the Amerks. But, a lack of big time offensive talent was a huge hole in Rochester and still is.
And the Sabres injuries have left the Amerks just as depleted, yet they show up for 60 minutes, compete hard, and have managed to be successful...overcoming that lack of talent and winning games with hard work.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:51 AM
  #7
fing0rz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal2000 View Post
this was really only an issue during the game in boston with lucic....the Sabres have stood up for one another just fine since then. Why are we still making it out to seem otherwise? Dumb article
The problem is this team sticks up for teammates because they feel like they have to, not because they want to. They want to avoid the backlash that came from the lucic hit.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:12 AM
  #8
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
It's great but the Amerks aren't perfect, either.

I doubt WGR would be happy with a gritty team that didn't have any real elite offensive players and that was a barely above .500 team.

Granted, the injury situation in Buffalo has made it really tough on the Amerks. But, a lack of big time offensive talent was a huge hole in Rochester and still is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
That's the point of the article IMO.

And the Sabres injuries have left the Amerks just as depleted, yet they show up for 60 minutes, compete hard, and have managed to be successful...overcoming that lack of talent and winning games with hard work.
Ruff could also take a page from Rolston:

Quote:
And, while injuries have been an excuse in Buffalo - right or wrong – there haven't been any excuses in Rochester. Friday night's roster was minus Stuart, Zack Kassian, Brayden McNabb, Corey Tropp, Shaone Morrisonn, Michael Ryan and Rankin.

During post-game interviews, there was no mention of players missing. Rather, Amerks coach Ron Rolston talked about his players staying motivated despite obstacles.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:14 AM
  #9
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Wonder what Amerk fans feel about the comparison....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:59 AM
  #10
BowieSabresFan
Registered User
 
BowieSabresFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fing0rz View Post
The problem is this team sticks up for teammates because they feel like they have to, not because they want to. They want to avoid the backlash that came from the lucic hit.
How do you know why they are sticking up for each other now? Can you read their minds?

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:12 PM
  #11
fing0rz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
How do you know why they are sticking up for each other now? Can you read their minds?

Because they didn't stick up for miller after the lucic hit.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:44 PM
  #12
SabresBillsBuffalo
Registered User
 
SabresBillsBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 3,456
vCash: 500
Fire Lindy and promote Rolston. THAT IS ALL.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:45 PM
  #13
BowieSabresFan
Registered User
 
BowieSabresFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fing0rz View Post
Because they didn't stick up for miller after the lucic hit.
You do realize that your reasoning does not come close to proving your point?

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:57 PM
  #14
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal2000 View Post
this was really only an issue during the game in boston with lucic....the Sabres have stood up for one another just fine since then. Why are we still making it out to seem otherwise? Dumb article
Agreed. The team has problems, but this is not the one they should be writing articles about. Lazy journalism. They've been good in this area since the Boston game.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:01 PM
  #15
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Wonder what Amerk fans feel about the comparison....
Wonderful being that we get to watch a team play hard night in/out for a measly $10 per game season ticket. Win.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:17 PM
  #16
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,460
vCash: 500
A note about last nights game. Rolston got fiesty in the third with a penalty call on Voakes tripping. Stood up on top of the boards and screamed at the ref(s) for a good 20 seconds. Play resumes, and 14 seconds later the refs do a make up interference call.

When was the last time Ruff showed this sort of fire? Breaking Pominville's stick last season? The guy is a stone face behind the bench. The first step in the right direction is to have Ruff show some sort of passion for this team. He needs to show he cares what's going on out there on the ice. If he doesn't, his players definitely wont either.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:03 PM
  #17
jlr
\m/o.o\m/
 
jlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I doubt WGR would be happy with a gritty team that didn't have any real elite offensive players and that was a barely above .500 team.
Well, right now we have a soft and squishy team with only one elite offensive player, and we're at or below .500 (below .500 based on W-L, at .500 based on % of available points) , so while WGR might not be happy with it, I think that would still be an improvement - and one I wouldn't mind seeing.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:03 PM
  #18
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering
 
S319R11S16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Said it time and time again...if we lose games, then we lose games. But for ****s sakes make it look like your interested in playing for 60 minutes. I know its not reasonable to ask players to play complete 60 minute games every night... but fairly consistently shouldn't be a difficult task. Just as it shouldn't be too much to ask for a coach to make a scene once in a while when his team is playing like a pile of dog ****.

We have a ton of injuries, but with the talent that still suits up and apparently one of the greatest coaches to ever coach the game behind the bench we shouldn't be talking about a team that is this bad. Period. End of Story. No To be Continued.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:47 PM
  #19
indigoo
Registered User
 
indigoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
I'm curious, how many people listen to, for extended periods of time, to WGR main shows? I rather think both Schopp/Bulldog and Howard/Jeremy are always sound in their arguments, never overly reactive, and make interesting points at times.

Also one point about "sticking up for teammates"; the issue is that the predictable nature of most of these situations is predictable. It shouldn't have to be. It should be reactionary, and that was the entire issue with the Lucic hit. Now, when considering human behavior, most of it is done because of the giant microscope on stuff like that. Ehrhoff has impressed me though, and seems genuinely legit when doing so. Know why? Because he's not a player I would expect to do that kind of thing. Let me see someone like Roy stick up for a teammate. Then maybe I'll believe it's not still an issue, albeit a smaller one.

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:55 PM
  #20
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
And the Sabres injuries have left the Amerks just as depleted, yet they show up for 60 minutes, compete hard, and have managed to be successful...overcoming that lack of talent and winning games with hard work.
What's your definition of successful?

The Amerks are 15-13-5 and are in 8th place in the Western Conference.

I doubt too many Sabres fans would be thrilled if the team were in 8th right now.

Also, the Amerks PP is 24th in the AHL and the PK is 22nd. Other things that would drive Sabres fans a bit nuts, no?

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:58 PM
  #21
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Well, right now we have a soft and squishy team with only one elite offensive player, and we're at or below .500 (below .500 based on W-L, at .500 based on % of available points) , so while WGR might not be happy with it, I think that would still be an improvement - and one I wouldn't mind seeing.
Seems to me like talking about having the mid to late 90s teams without Hasek in net.

I wouldn't want that right now.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:59 PM
  #22
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngersEyeball View Post
A note about last nights game. Rolston got fiesty in the third with a penalty call on Voakes tripping. Stood up on top of the boards and screamed at the ref(s) for a good 20 seconds. Play resumes, and 14 seconds later the refs do a make up interference call.

When was the last time Ruff showed this sort of fire? Breaking Pominville's stick last season? The guy is a stone face behind the bench. The first step in the right direction is to have Ruff show some sort of passion for this team. He needs to show he cares what's going on out there on the ice. If he doesn't, his players definitely wont either.
Seriously?

I've seen Ruff yell at the refs a ton all year long when he hasn't liked calls.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 07:13 PM
  #23
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Seriously?

I've seen Ruff yell at the refs a ton all year long when he hasn't liked calls.
90 seconds of him saying "joke"?

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:18 AM
  #24
SECRET SQUIRREL
Registered User
 
SECRET SQUIRREL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clarence
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
What's your definition of successful?

The Amerks are 15-13-5 and are in 8th place in the Western Conference.

I doubt too many Sabres fans would be thrilled if the team were in 8th right now.

Also, the Amerks PP is 24th in the AHL and the PK is 22nd. Other things that would drive Sabres fans a bit nuts, no?
Way different situations and you know it. The expectations of the Sabres were much higher then the Amerks this season AINEC. Regardless, both teams have been affected by the injuries this season. One team has played hard and persevered, the other one has packed it in and looked for every excuse in the book instead of maning the **** up.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:40 AM
  #25
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
Way different situations and you know it. The expectations of the Sabres were much higher then the Amerks this season AINEC. Regardless, both teams have been affected by the injuries this season. One team has played hard and persevered, the other one has packed it in and looked for every excuse in the book instead of maning the **** up.
The expectations were different because of the talent make up of the two teams.

The Amerks were never a team that was being built to compete for a Cup. And their make up from the get go was as a hard working team that lacked top end offensive talent up front.

While everyone would like more compete out of the Sabres, not too many people would be happy with a team that doesn't have a ton of good offensive talent and was limited by that.

The ideal team is a mix of both worlds with the talent of guys like Vanek and Pominville and the effort of some of the kids.

But even the kids' effort as tailed off a bit with the guys up on recall to the Sabres.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.