Possible Trade Ideas III

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2011, 10:28 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Possible Trade Ideas III

We're going through these faster than the Wild go through centers.

Previous threads:
Part I
Part II

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
02-25-2011, 10:34 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Well in three days this thread will be essentially useless, might as well enjoy it while we can!

Old
02-25-2011, 10:36 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It'll return after the regular season and/or whenever the Wild get eliminated.

Old
02-25-2011, 10:36 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Well... I for one would rather have more Possible tade threads than Penner in a Wild sweater.

Old
02-25-2011, 10:53 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

I still like the idea of offer sheeting Stamkos. If you win, you get Stamkos and won't need your first rounders. If you lose, you still keep your money and picks.

Win-win

Old
02-25-2011, 11:26 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
I still like the idea of offer sheeting Stamkos. If you win, you get Stamkos and won't need your first rounders. If you lose, you still keep your money and picks.

Win-win
You also open yourself up to other teams doing the same to us in return. I'm not a fan of making offers to other team's RFAs.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:37 AM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Well... I for one would rather have more Possible tade threads than Penner in a Wild sweater.
Yeah Penner is an absolute pipe dream. I honestly don't think anything will be done and Fletcher will just say the market was too expensive which is probably true.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:48 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
Yeah Penner is an absolute pipe dream. I honestly don't think anything will be done and Fletcher will just say the market was too expensive which is probably true.
er...he meant that he doesn't like Penner.

Old
02-26-2011, 12:49 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
er...he meant that he doesn't like Penner.
We have a winner!

Old
02-26-2011, 01:47 AM
nickschultzfan

I don't see why Penner is a pipe dream. We might get out bid, or the Oilers might end up keeping him, but it's possible.

Honestly, what are the Oilers looking for? 1. Defensemen. 2. Forwards with size. 3. A goalie. 4. Picks. Besides picks, the Wild have 1-3.

The Oilers AREN'T looking for skilled forwards outside of a true #1 center, which I think they realize they won't get outside their 1st in this year's draft. Which is good because the Wild don't have much skill at forwards or in the forward forward.

Barker would have to include. Gillies would be great with their group of forwards. Hell, they could even use a guy like Sheppard as a 3rd line center. Falk, Scandella, even Stoner would be attractive to them.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:22 AM
joolzie

Quote:
You also open yourself up to other teams doing the same to us in return. I'm not a fan of making offers to other team's RFAs.
I don't think this is logical thinking. You open yourself up to other teams making offer sheets by having a player that is worth taking the risk on, not by what you've done in the past. The only 'get-back' offer sheet that could be considered is Bernier, and look at him-- on waivers now.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:52 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

The Nucks and Flyers went back and forth after the Flyers gave Kesler an offer sheet.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:56 AM
joolzie

Quote:
The Nucks and Flyers went back and forth after the Flyers gave Kesler an offer sheet.
Might have peeped and moaned, but there was no retaliation. Which is pretty much par for the course as far as Vancouver is concerned.

Old
02-26-2011, 05:11 AM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Sorry that I created the most epic thread here and made everyone rage with possible trade ideas

You are welcome. May this thread continue till the end of time

Old
02-26-2011, 11:00 AM
nickschultzfan

We are ALWAYS open to an offer-sheet. Don't think a team in need wouldn't offer-sheet our young players if they had a need and saw an opening.

Don't fool yourself into false confidence, thinking that Wild players won't be subject to an offer-sheet if we play nice with all the other teams.

In the position the Wild are in with their roster,4 1st round picks would be well worth Stamkos.

The situation would be different if we didn't have a supporting cast in place, or cap space, or had a bunch of bad contracts. Like I said before, the Wild are in a great position to offer-sheet Stamkos. It would require us to move Backstrom for a 1st. But it would instantly move this team from a playoff team to a contender.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:21 AM
ChexLeMeneux

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
We are ALWAYS open to an offer-sheet. Don't think a team in need wouldn't offer-sheet our young players if they had a need and saw an opening.

Don't fool yourself into false confidence, thinking that Wild players won't be subject to an offer-sheet if we play nice with all the other teams.

In the position the Wild are in with their roster,4 1st round picks would be well worth Stamkos.

The situation would be different if we didn't have a supporting cast in place, or cap space, or had a bunch of bad contracts. Like I said before, the Wild are in a great position to offer-sheet Stamkos. It would require us to move Backstrom for a 1st. But it would instantly move this team from a playoff team to a contender.
I don't see many teams willing to just trade their first for Backstrom and his 6 million cap hit without the Wild taking a bunch salary back.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:40 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Oh man, I just got done reading the "Value of: Dustin Penner to Wild" thread. Oilers fans are delusional! Scandella + 1st? Or Burns? Why don't we just give them Burns, Koivu, and Havlat.

I thought Scandella and a mid draft pick was/would be pretty reasonable.

On another note, I would where Kobasew will end up. If anywhere? Do you think we trade him for less than fair value?

Old
02-26-2011, 01:55 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I'm honestly thinking he (Kobasew) ends up in Tampa.

It's a pattern thing;

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=883388

WIth all of the scouts at the last two games from Tampa (i. e. full scouting staffs) and with the moves StevieY is making this weekend (opening up a forward spot) and stating that he needs a 2nd/3rd line tweener...

That's why I'm thinking Tampa. Not for picks, but maybe a prospect or two.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:40 PM
saywut

Quote:
Clarke basically gave Kesler an offer sheet because the Minnesota Wild signed Kim Johnsson, and Clarke was angry because he would have matched the Wild's offer, so decided to make a big deal about the difference between UFA/RFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I'm honestly thinking he (Kobasew) ends up in Tampa.

It's a pattern thing;

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=883388

WIth all of the scouts at the last two games from Tampa (i. e. full scouting staffs) and with the moves StevieY is making this weekend (opening up a forward spot) and stating that he needs a 2nd/3rd line tweener...

That's why I'm thinking Tampa. Not for picks, but maybe a prospect or two.
I wouldn't be opposed to dealing Kobasew for Marc-Antoine Pouliot at this point. Pouliot signed for nothing, tearing up the AHL once again(25 so not really a prospect anymore), played half a season under Richards in Wilkes-Barrie. With our needs at center, I'd be all for giving him a try(much like I wanted him in the off-season). Kobasew's doing nothing for us(in his current role), and trading him out East means he won't do anything to us either.

That being said, they are under new management this year, so perhaps Yzerman wouldn't mind dealing some of the previous regime's prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
Oh man, I just got done reading the "Value of: Dustin Penner to Wild" thread. Oilers fans are delusional! Scandella + 1st? Or Burns? Why don't we just give them Burns, Koivu, and Havlat.

I thought Scandella and a mid draft pick was/would be pretty reasonable.

On another note, I would where Kobasew will end up. If anywhere? Do you think we trade him for less than fair value?
Edmonton's not going to do any favors for a team in the division. That's why I don't see us getting Penner -> we have to have the best offer, not just a good offer.

Compare the Kings prospect group to ours. They've got 4 of the 5 best d-men prospects, 3-4 of the 5 best forward prospects, and goalie-wise Bernier is easily the best with Jones no worse than Hackett. If they're willing to part with someone + their 1st, only way we can match it is with a Scandella/Granlund.

Dustin Penner may be as valuable as what we gave up for Demitra, but this is not the same situation. Demitra was added to please/sign Gaborik and put us on the map. Koivu's already signed long-term so that isn't a problem(even if Penner was somehow his best friend) , and we're already contending without him. We've got long-term holes in our top-4 d, and Scandella's our only prospect who I believe is capable of playing top-4 consistently. He's almost there at 20, and really is still maxing his frame and learning how to use it. The mistakes will go away as he gets more comfortable.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:46 PM
nickschultzfan

I now actually think Fletcher should really make a push for Penner. He could be great with Koivu. And Granlund maybe next year (or keep Miettinen) and we got a solid group of forwards.

Penner-Koivu-Granlund
Lats-Brodziak-Havlat
Clutter-Cullen-Bouchard
Nystrom-X-Staubitz

Not bad.

Old
02-26-2011, 03:01 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
I now actually think Fletcher should really make a push for Penner. He could be great with Koivu. And Granlund maybe next year (or keep Miettinen) and we got a solid group of forwards.

Penner-Koivu-Granlund
Lats-Brodziak-Havlat
Clutter-Cullen-Bouchard
Nystrom-X-Staubitz

Not bad.
I've been saying something similar for weeks/going on months now.

I think he'd fit in really well here, but some people aren't so sure.

Personally, it would make me really happy if he did come here, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if he didn't.

Old
02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
Sorry that I created the most epic thread here and made everyone rage with possible trade ideas

You are welcome. May this thread continue till the end of time
Now you know how I feel.

Old
02-26-2011, 03:29 PM
The Blue Llama

Quote:

Penner-Koivu-Granlund
Lats-Brodziak-Havlat
Clutter-Cullen-Bouchard
Nystrom-X-Staubitz

Not bad.
Not bad at all, but i think it would be a waste to have butch on the 3rd line. Penner would be nice, but in all honesty if lats can get back to his goal scoring, hard hitting form, he would be a perfect fit for Koivu left winger. Then you can put Butch-Brodz-Havlat back together which imo is our most dangerous line. After that it wouldn't be that hard to plug in a 3rd and 4th liner via FA or the farm. So two very solid scoring lines, a 3rd that will pop in a handful plus being great energy, and a great energy/ hitting 4th.

I think GMCF should just continue with the original game plan of draft well, sign smart, and add piece by piece without turning into an AHL lottery team.

One last tidbit i was thinking about. How many more goals would we have had if Lats and Butch were in our lineup the entire year? 20? 30? That 20-30 goals wins us a handful of games that we didn't win and really solidifys us in the post season. Just my two cents

Old
02-26-2011, 05:02 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:

Penner-Koivu-Granlund
Lats-Brodziak-Havlat
Clutter-Cullen-Bouchard
Nystrom-X-Staubitz

Not bad.
Is the difference between Penner or re-signing Brunette really worth 2 million in cap space? If your answer is yes, are you willing to give up a 1st and Scandella to get him?

IMO the most you can expect from Penner would be 30 goals and 60 points. Brunette's good for atleast 20-25 and 45-50. Not worth it if you ask me.

Old
02-26-2011, 06:10 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

You guys remember last year when we tried to trade Boogaard to wherever for like three picks but whoever it was didn't have one of their picks. Woulda just been the steal of year if I remember correctly.

Closed Thread