HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Year End Q & A with GM Mike Gillis

Old
12-31-2011, 04:29 PM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
^ He did say the "whole defensive group".
All I'm getting out of it is that there's still a possibility that Ballard gets moved. Especially with his play picking up recently, I could see him being shipped off at the deadline now moreso than ever before. It didn't make sense to move him when he was barely playing like a NHL defenseman, but now that he's showing glimpses of being a top-4, I think he's the guy to watch as a trade possibility, not Schneider.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:45 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
wow huge news from that.

Confirms basically that cory will get traded after this year
K-con making huge progress, could see a spot on our team next year
and JS getting called out
Holy crap those are some big assumptions.

We all knew Cory's time would run out eventually. Connauton is making progress but no where did Gillis state he's gonna be on our NHL roster anytime soon. I think the comment to Schroeder is more-so a push rather than "calling him out". IMO, the wording of how you said it changes the situation drastically and is similar to what the media does. Which in turn, creates chaos and un-needed controversies and situations.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:11 PM
B-rock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Holy crap those are some big assumptions.

We all knew Cory's time would run out eventually. Connauton is making progress but no where did Gillis state he's gonna be on our NHL roster anytime soon. I think the comment to Schroeder is more-so a push rather than "calling him out". IMO, the wording of how you said it changes the situation drastically and is similar to what the media does. Which in turn, creates chaos and un-needed controversies and situations.
Ha, no kidding. Those are big assumptions.

As for the refrain by some that Schroeder needs an NHL call up to play with NHL players, I think he needs to prove that he can put in a consistent effort for longer than 5-10 games in the AHL. I think the difference between him and HOdgson is that Cody seemed to always be busting his ass doing whatever it took to overcome the adversity in his path, whereas Jordan has more of a hotshot attitude. He seems to finally be coming around to the understanding that getting to the NHL is more than just talent. Every guy that plays in the NHL has a boatload of talent, the difference is effort, especially when you're 5 foot nothing.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 06:24 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
All I'm getting out of it is that there's still a possibility that Ballard gets moved. Especially with his play picking up recently, I could see him being shipped off at the deadline now moreso than ever before. It didn't make sense to move him when he was barely playing like a NHL defenseman, but now that he's showing glimpses of being a top-4, I think he's the guy to watch as a trade possibility, not Schneider.

I wonder if Ballard's observation of former Panther teammate Booth's accellerated acclimatization from FLA mindset to VAN's 24/7 hockey lifestyle helped Ballard finally get over the adjustment h
ump.

12-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Wetcoaster

As just reported on HNIC's Satellite Hot Stove a Canucks management source says no way Schneider gets moved - he is needed to the Stanley Cup push.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
As just reported on HNIC's Satellite Hot Stove a Canucks management source says no way Schneider gets moved - he is needed to the Stanley Cup push.
Are we really a better team with one of our best players in the press box every night in the playoffs? Hopefully this is just posturing on Gillis' part because it's hard to imagine Schneider would play a bigger role in a playoff run than a skater they could get in return by dealing him. Even if Schneider plays a handful of games the difference between him and an average backup is negligible, at best.

Barring an injury I will be disappointed if Luongo AND Schneider are both Canucks after the trade deadline. Schneider did absolutely nothing in our pursuit of the cup last year and you have to think we would have fared better had he been moved for an upgrade up front or on defense.

Don't wait until the draft.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 08:34 PM
vt89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Are we really a better team with one of our best players in the press box every night in the playoffs? Hopefully this is just posturing on Gillis' part because it's hard to imagine Schneider would play a bigger role in a playoff run than a skater they could get in return by dealing him. Even if Schneider plays a handful of games the difference between him and an average backup is negligible, at best.

Barring an injury I will be disappointed if Luongo AND Schneider are both Canucks after the trade deadline. Schneider did absolutely nothing in our pursuit of the cup last year and you have to think we would have fared better had he been moved for an upgrade up front or on defense.

Considering Luongo gave up like 7379124 goals in four games of the Stanley Cup Final, I don't think another option at the goalie position is a bad thing to have.

vt89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt89 View Post
Considering Luongo gave up like 7379124 goals in four games of the Stanley Cup Final, I don't think another option at the goalie position is a bad thing to have.
I have a hard time imagining AV going away from Luongo for enough games to warrant keeping Schneider. The difference in goals against from a Schneider to a Raycroft over a handful of games is probably less than 1 - it's negligible...

It would depend on what they can get for him but if you can get an impact skater for Schneider at the deadline you do it IMO.

Old
12-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Kagee*

Quote:

No we NEED Schneider for some games in the playoffs to help alleviate the pressure on Luongo, as he's pretty sensitive sometimes under the immense pressure us fans and he put on himself in the playoffs.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Transom Bob

Quote:
I have a hard time imagining AV going away from Luongo for enough games to warrant keeping Schneider. The difference in goals against from a Schneider to a Raycroft over a handful of games is probably less than 1 - it's negligible...

It would depend on what they can get for him but if you can get an impact skater for Schneider at the deadline you do it IMO.
What if Luongo gets injured? Well, we have a #1 goaltender waiting in the wings. Depth wins the Stanley Cup. I don't wanna put my eggs into one basket only. I want to have two baskets to put my eggs into. Schneider is our other basket. And that shiny new basket might be even nicer than that older Italian basket. But the fact that we're even debating which basket is nicer means that we have two high quality baskets, so be happy.

We hold on to both of them.

Transom Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
No we NEED Schneider for some games in the playoffs to help alleviate the pressure on Luongo, as he's pretty sensitive sometimes under the immense pressure us fans and he put on himself in the playoffs.
I don't think Luongo looking over his shoulder and seeing Schneider will alleviate pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
What if Luongo gets injured? Well, we have a #1 goaltender waiting in the wings. Depth wins the Stanley Cup. I don't wanna put my eggs into one basket only. I want to have two baskets to put my eggs into. Schneider is our other basket. And that shiny new basket might be even nicer than that older Italian basket. But the fact that we're even debating which basket is nicer means that we have two high quality baskets, so be happy.

We hold on to both of them.
That is the only reason you hold onto him IMO. But if the Canucks can make a deal and pick up a good backup that should be enough of an insurance policy. Luongo is a durable guy.

We are a lot more likely to suffer injuries to the forwards and defense in which the asset we get in return for Schneider could make a big impact. It all comes down to what type of player he could fetch. If you can get a good top 4 defenseman on a decent contract for example I do that move...

I just don't believe AV would go to Schneider for any meaningful amount of time.

Old
12-31-2011, 09:08 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
I don't wanna put my eggs into one basket only. .
This is exactly what we should do. You can't hedge your bets here and have two valuable players at the goalie position, where one has to sit at any given time. That's not how you put the best team on the ice every night. The best team on the ice is one where Schneider or Luongo is traded for a top-6 forward or top-4 forward to replace a guy like Alberts or Weise. You can't worry about injuries happening. If a injury happens to Kesler or one of the Sedins, sure we have depth, but it doesn't mean that it's not a massive loss. Likewise, if we trade Schneider and Luongo gets hurt, that's tough luck, but if everyone stays healthy, then we have an even better team than one where we have both Luongo and Schneider.

Besides, if Schneider ever has to relieve Luongo or start in place for him, it's probably not a good thing for us anyways. It means we're behind in the game/series. In that case, it's likely too late to make a goalie change that affects anything.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:31 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Gillis says he's constantly fielding calls about Schneider. I read this as a GM who is trying to instigate a mini bidding war for Schneider.

Sometimes when GM's are doing interviews for the fans, they're really talking to other GM's.
Pretty much. Even if he was going through a stretch where he wasn't getting calls from GMs he'd probably still say he got phone calls all the time.

Great job so far MG, keep up the good work!

Btw always hilarious to see the different takes people are getting from reading his words.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt89 View Post
Despite the goals exaggeration, this is the key point. Schneider is insurance in case Luongo falters. He will have a short leash in the upcoming post-season, IMO. Any signs of mental fragility will see Cory get his shot. Gillis knows this team has a legitimate shot to contend, and he's not about to shed any of the depth he has worked so hard to build.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 04:13 PM
opendoor

A lot of things have to fall into place for Schneider to serve a useful purpose in this year's playoffs though. Luongo has to play poorly enough to warrant Schneider starting, but the rest of the team has to be playing well enough that a different goalie is going to change the outcome. I'm not sure that has really been the case in any of the Canucks' series losses recently. Schneider might come in and play well and turn an 8-1 game into a 5-1 game or a 4-0 one into a 2-0 one, but the end result would be the same if the Canucks aren't scoring or are seriously hobbled with injuries.

That said, the Canucks really don't have the cap space to add another big piece. That coupled with the potential for Schneider acting as an insurance policy make holding off on any goaltending moves until the offseason probably the best course of action. But that's not without risk. If the Canucks go out early with Luongo playing OK and then lose Schneider to an offer sheet I'm sure there'll be a lot of second guessing.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 04:36 PM
VanEric

Aren't you more holding onto Schneider and his rights incase Luongo has a playoffs worthy of making a drastic franchise altering change in net for next season?

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Aren't you more holding onto Schneider and his rights incase Luongo has a playoffs worthy of making a drastic franchise altering change in net for next season?
This is my thought.

Imagine the outrage is Luongo has a terrible post season and we have no better option moving forward. Schneider is a great piece to have as trade bait, but it's going to take a lot for Gillis to move him before the draft.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote