HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10,000 Pt XXIV | A treatise on Shark board nerdiness (at least the last one was)

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2012, 02:50 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
This is Optimus' gun. I remember the shape distinctly (but I remember it being blue):

My friend gave me his Optimus when we were little after he lost the hands and (not sure how) the trailer. I think he's in my dad's attic at the moment.

edit:

Nice find! Wow, he was my first Transformer. My dad went to several stores that Christmas to find any Transformer and Snarl was the only one he could get his hands on. My cousin eventually snapped his tail off and I still haven't forgiven her.
Hehe, yah, I still have him actually! in a box with a bunch of other old transformers. They aren't in great shape, but they all still work.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
-40 is not liveable habitat for human beings. You should have known better than to live there
Yeah but my wife lived here and well... lets just say that she holds the leash in this relationship

When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.
Old
01-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemania View Post
Yeah but my wife lived here and well... lets just say that she holds the leash in this relationship
At -40 that leash should have frozen over and shattered.

Old
01-16-2012, 04:38 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Did she try to tell you that the winters there are mild? That's what I've noticed from people who live in cold weather climates, they try to act like it's not cold. Had a friend who lived in Colorado telling me winters in Sonoma County are colder than where he lives (it snows there).

Yeah, I don't think so...

Old
01-16-2012, 04:39 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 245000
Quote:
well its not just the fuel ya know. At -40 and lower things just don't work. You gotta get the car plugged in to turn on its internal heater (or better yet have it in a heated garage). But even then, you gotta remember newer cars have a LOT of crap shoved into em, some of it being fragile or cheap. Drive a new car at this temp up here? Your liable to blow hoses. (pick a hose, any hose. Lately its been power searing hoses).

Course, you gotta remember when your driving, ambient temperature isn't the only thing you gotta factor in. WIND CHILL Is a *****. Drive 30mph and you gotta factor in that wind chill plus existing wind.
Yup, that's why it's pointless to get a brand new car in Finland. In winter timer, they're all on the side of the road.

Thank god that my van has a webasto system, I dunno really how to explain it in english but it uses the cars fuel to operate and heats up the car/motor. Downside is that when you turn it on, it uses a lot of juice so you have re-charge from time to time especially if you do short journeys that won't re-charge the battery while driving the car.

I still remember last winter when it was like -35 C, and I was the only one at my school who had that system. Oh boy, that amount of hate when I pulled out the remote control (it has a range of 1km, or so my dad says- I don't believe him) and switched it on 30 minutes before school ended.

Old
01-16-2012, 04:44 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Did she try to tell you that the winters there are mild? That's what I've noticed from people who live in cold weather climates, they try to act like it's not cold.
When you've lived your whole life in a cold climate (like me), you get used to it. Hence, it isn't cold when it is.

How about that woman who called you, did you do anything about it?

Old
01-16-2012, 04:44 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Did she try to tell you that the winters there are mild? That's what I've noticed from people who live in cold weather climates, they try to act like it's not cold. Had a friend who lived in Colorado telling me winters in Sonoma County are colder than where he lives (it snows there).

It's funny people always have two reactions when I tell them i live in Reno.

1) "Oh wow, I couldn't live somewhere it gets that hot". When I tell them it RARELY gets over 100 here and is likely hotter where they live, they don't believe me... cause i'd lie about that...

2) "Oh wow, I couldn't deal with all that snow!" To which I explain we rarely get more than a foot on the ground at any time, and i have shoveled my driveway all of twice in 3 years (mostly so the ice would melt). Plus 0 is about as cold as it ever gets, and 20's is more common, which isn't that bad.

Old
01-16-2012, 04:52 PM
bluefunnel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's funny people always have two reactions when I tell them i live in Reno.

1) "Oh wow, I couldn't live somewhere it gets that hot". When I tell them it RARELY gets over 100 here and is likely hotter where they live, they don't believe me... cause i'd lie about that...

2) "Oh wow, I couldn't deal with all that snow!" To which I explain we rarely get more than a foot on the ground at any time, and i have shoveled my driveway all of twice in 3 years (mostly so the ice would melt). Plus 0 is about as cold as it ever gets, and 20's is more common, which isn't that bad.
Reno itself isn't so bad, the ride up tends to be the bigger problem. My wife and I have even thought about moving out there since we spend so much time there.

Old
01-16-2012, 04:58 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefunnel View Post
Reno itself isn't so bad, the ride up tends to be the bigger problem. My wife and I have even thought about moving out there since we spend so much time there.
Ya for sure, 80 is brutal. Especially with all the construction.

We also live in South Reno (near Mt Rose) so it's much nicer at that end of town. Little colder though. My biggest gripe about Reno is the wind. It went upto 70mph around Thanksgiving and blew our 3 year old fence apart and nearly destroyed our shed (I shored it up just in time, then spent $100 in repairs).

I would need to be really rolling in money to move back to California at this point. I love California, but the cost of living is just ridiculous in comparison.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:41 PM
SensSharksGirl*

It is still freezing, -19 degree celsuis with the wind. BRR... hopefully it will get better before I go skiing on Saturday, downhill skiing that is.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:

Yeah, though I say the same to her when I say it really doesn't feel too hot in Cali. She damm near dies when its 80F when she visits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Yup, that's why it's pointless to get a brand new car in Finland. In winter timer, they're all on the side of the road.

Thank god that my van has a webasto system, I dunno really how to explain it in english but it uses the cars fuel to operate and heats up the car/motor. Downside is that when you turn it on, it uses a lot of juice so you have re-charge from time to time especially if you do short journeys that won't re-charge the battery while driving the car.

I still remember last winter when it was like -35 C, and I was the only one at my school who had that system. Oh boy, that amount of hate when I pulled out the remote control (it has a range of 1km, or so my dad says- I don't believe him) and switched it on 30 minutes before school ended.
I dunno what we have here (I'm still learning) but its a heater that sits in the car that you plug into a standard wall outlet, so I think its kinda the same.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:59 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Yeah, though I say the same to her when I say it really doesn't feel too hot in Cali. She damm near dies when its 80F when she visits!

I dunno what we have here (I'm still learning) but its a heater that sits in the car that you plug into a standard wall outlet, so I think its kinda the same.
Just fill your engine with cats:

Cheap and effective. Just make sure you remember to shoo them out before you start it or you could crack a fan blade!

Old
01-16-2012, 06:17 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

Quote:
After some googling, I found this.
Quote:
Webasto - How it works:

The heater is connected to the water circulation of the engine. At heating start, the pump runs gasoline into the heater. The heater is always surrounded by coolant. At the same time a fan blows Air into the heater in order to get an efficient burning.

The coolant heats up and will heat up the passenger compartment radiator.

As coolant temperature reaches a certain limit, the internal Car -blower will be switched on and heats up the cabin area.
And you don't have to plug it in anywhere, well except when you have to charge the battery after you've used it too much.

Quote:
Just fill your engine with cats:

Cheap and effective. Just make sure you remember to shoo them out before you start it or you could crack a fan blade!
Probably 80% of our neighbours cats died like that when I was a kid. I always feared that mine would do the same, but she never did. Damn, I miss that crazy mofo.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Kitten Mittons

Go Sharks!

Old
01-16-2012, 10:02 PM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Go Sharks!

Grandma?

Old
01-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Old
01-16-2012, 10:29 PM
patty merlot

^This just made my night

Old
01-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

So I've been playing SWTOR a lot and this guy in my guild is exactly like the dude in the back of this video.

IM GETTING DRUNK!

Old
01-16-2012, 10:56 PM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Go Sharks!

Hahaha came here to see this. Everything from the front page of reddit gets posted here. I knew there was no way in HELL this one was going to get passed you guys

Old
01-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Markus
Registered Lurker

Reddit's great. Thanks to that site I use this for my alarm in the morning. It's not good for the blood pressure but it wakes me the hell up.

Old
01-16-2012, 11:05 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksohnoes! View Post
Hahaha came here to see this. Everything from the front page of reddit gets posted here. I knew there was no way in HELL this one was going to get passed you guys
I did the opposite, I saw this on here and confirmed my intuition that it had to be from reddit. I have been avoiding reddit for a day since the tree drama exploded. Angry pot heads all over the front page.

Old
01-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Reddit's great. Thanks to that site I use this for my alarm in the morning. It's not good for the blood pressure but it wakes me the hell up.
That's one hell of an alarm for that clock.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Lee Van Cleef*

Quote:
LOL, I've used that as my alarm for the better part of a year now (not thanks to Reddit since I never traverse there) and I gotta say, it really works

Gotta add though that if you've got housemates like me (or even worse, someone else sleeping in the bed with you), they may not enjoy the alarms waking up abilities as much as you do...

Old
01-17-2012, 12:07 AM
KirbyDots

Finally snowing in Boston. So this is what all the talk is about. Only other times I've seen snow were when it snowed in Davis.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:12 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

It's been snowing here for the last couple days. And it's expected to snow for the rest of the week too. Which blows because I have a couple of coupons for EB Games that run for this week only and thanks to the municipality being complete ass-clowns, my road never gets plowed and has already become an icy, nigh-inescapable death trap.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
Sometimes I use Twitter: @Nemesis_HF
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Closed Thread