HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps at Blue Jackets. 7pm. Nationwide Arena. 12.31.2011

Old
12-31-2011, 11:52 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

vCash: 500
I was at the game...............

Strange game as it pertains to the refs. Caps d-men took a beating. During the second period Nash, Carter and Umberger looked to be having a few laughs because of it. During breaks there were different conversations between Caps d-men and the refs to no avail. Hunter had a conversation too. Some sticks cracked at the end of the second because of frustration. In the end the Caps had the last laugh and I enjoyed every moment of it.

I thought the first was fairly even but the Jackets took the second as it they became more physical. But the boys answered the third. Loved seeing Nash's smugness turn into embarrassment. The guy's a great player but it was pure fun to see the Caps turn the tide despite what the Jackets dished out and what the refs let go. The boys took the lumps, made plays and didn't take retaliatory penalties.

Ovie was gold after he scored the first goal. As he came to the bench for congrats he squeezed in some expletives to his teammates and then that was that. They never looked back.

Semin made solid defensive plays. The shot blockers were out in full force. Alzner had some beauties. Vokoun was solid in goal but didn't pick up any assists.

It's only the Blue Jackets. Well, okay. It's a team with no pressure or expectations and sometimes I think they are the most dangerous. The Jackets were waiting for the Caps who were traveling on a back to back and playing three in four nights. The boys did okay. They had enough gas to come back in the third.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:00 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Cautiously optimistic about #8.

6 goals and 9 points in his last 6 games.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:12 AM
OVrocks

Orlov is a beast,if he can learn to get his shots on net he can be a Norris type dman for years to come.

OVrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:01 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVrocks View Post
Orlov is a beast,if he can learn to get his shots on net he can be a Norris type dman for years to come.
At this point, im starting to think Green is expendable, especially if he brings back a top 6 forward.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Let Orlov play 30 games before any decision is made.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Man Orlov...he's here to stay. It is pretty much obvious for any that have been watching his games at the NHL level. As I believe Langway said he won't being seeing AHL any time soon.

Great to see AO heating up and getting his confidence back.
Yeah, I guess we ought to get out the apology thread.

He's an NHLer now. From the looks of it, he looks like he could be a guy with a 15 year career.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Semin

Love seeing a happy Ovechkin scoring.

I hope everyones having a safe and fun drunken new years!

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:07 AM
Herregud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
At this point, im starting to think Green is expendable, especially if he brings back a top 6 forward.
I'd rather have them both and get rid of Schultz and Hamr.

Herregud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:43 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 50
Problem with green is, can his body withstand more than one series of the play offs? At this point doesn't look like it, would we be better off moving him for a decent return or gamble and see what happens with him?

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 04:20 AM
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Pray for Octopi.

Bi-polar Caps fans at their best. Lol.

Nice comeback win anyway and great to see Ovie getting rewarded for his effort finally.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:41 AM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
All Orlov.
you act like it was a tap-in goal

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:35 AM
txpd

Quote:
lets not go overboard. orlov played 13:39 last night. the hated hamrlik played over 23 minutes.

in my view what the caps wont are all three of green, carslon and orlov.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:38 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of steel View Post
Problem with green is, can his body withstand more than one series of the play offs? At this point doesn't look like it, would we be better off moving him for a decent return or gamble and see what happens with him?
do we know that orlov's body can withstand more than one series of the playoffs?

Old
01-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
do we know that orlov's body can withstand more than one series of the playoffs?
I agree that people are getting too caught up with 81...looks like a good young player

as for Green, I think it can be said he doesnt seem to protect himself well, hopefully he learns to do that going forward

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:34 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

The league doesn't protect green too well either, nor have his teammates. The latter may change under hunter.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Let's wait to see how they look with Green in the lineup before making that decision. Our D core might turn out to be fantastic with both in the lineup.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I do agree on the protecting Green. You saw it with Erskine protecting Orlov against NY. Quick to grab the guy and get in there.

Speaking of Lloyd and back to stuff, I think it's time for the Ovechkin rearview mirror and Fla's board

Old
01-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
lets not go overboard. orlov played 13:39 last night. the hated hamrlik played over 23 minutes.

in my view what the caps wont are all three of green, carslon and orlov.
Hamrlik has been excellent the past few games. More assertive on offense, positionally sound (to offset the lack of speed). and making smart decisions. I think Orlov may turn out to be a great one, but it is way premature to come to the conclusion that Green is expendable. Having all the D in the lineup and playing well, in my mind, is more valuable than getting that top 6 forward. Not to mention that Kuznetsov may be that guy anyways next season (or one of the draft picks, or one of the guys we have developing)

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Carlzner

When Green gets back we'll have FOUR Offensively minded Defenseman...
That's too much, especially when we're playing fine without our best one, who can definitely fetch a really good 2nd liner, if not a 1st liner.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:12 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

It would have been nice to have Eskine on the ice last night.

Orlov is looking good but his minutes are somewhat shielded. I'm anxious for Green to get back but not to trade. And not to trade Hamrlik. I can't get anxious to trade any d-man because depth inevitably is needed.

Hamrlik and Wideman, for as much as they struggled, have looked far better together under Hunter. They would have been minus 3 under Boudreau instead of plus 3. Get Green back with Hamrlik and move Orlov and Wideman to the third D pair and they could ignite the 3 / 4 lines. So right now I look forward to Green returning and seeing if they become the offensive juggernaut they were before without having to worry about trading # 28 or # 90 or d-men.

I'm trying not to get overly excited about the offense returning but the Caps put up seven goals against Jersey and Nashville, two teams that trap. Impressive against New Jersey because that was a third period comeback too.

The boys looked extremely happy last night after the game.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 50
@Tex no one said orlovs.body could withstand a play off series,never a guarantee from any player, but come on man look at greens recent track record. Let's not try and sugar coat this. He's been about as fragile as grandmas 95 year old hip. So like I said, at this point do we gamble and keep him? Or is the better move to move him? Believe me id love to keep him because he makes this team much much better. But at this point were paying the over under at 3.5 game sadly.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:22 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Hamrlik has been excellent the past few games. More assertive on offense, positionally sound (to offset the lack of speed). and making smart decisions. I think Orlov may turn out to be a great one, but it is way premature to come to the conclusion that Green is expendable. Having all the D in the lineup and playing well, in my mind, is more valuable than getting that top 6 forward. Not to mention that Kuznetsov may be that guy anyways next season (or one of the draft picks, or one of the guys we have developing)
i think its great that hamrlik has looked great(hint that injury that kept him out a couple games has been with him since camp. maybe he is healthy).

orlov is a rookie. he is a rookie that nhl teams have minimul scouting on who plays managed minutes and whom opposing coaches dont game plan for. they dont game plan for 3rd pair d. every team that plays the caps target mike green and game plan to try and shut him down.

consider. wideman thru a beauty hip check this season like the sweet one that orlov delivered. wideman had a goal and two assists last night. yet here....its orlov orlov orlov. there is no evidence that orlov will be as good as wideman, much less as good much less so good as to replace green. someone already has said norris trophy.

let the kid be a rookie and take his positive contributions with a smile and dont expect too much.

this reminds me of the rangers series when knuble broke his hand and half this forum was doing handsprings that fehr was going to get in and turn it up. dont jump too far too fast

Old
01-01-2012, 10:29 AM
DCRedhawk21

I'll be interested to see what the D pairings look like when Green does come back...

Hamrlik - Green
Alzner - Carlson
Erskine - Wideman?

As much as I don't want to see Orlov sit, they're not going to sit Wideman and I don't think they want to gamble with an Orlov-Wideman pair

I wonder what they'll do with Schultz... I'd rather have Erskine playing than him, and Schultz makes too much to be a number 7 (and with Green back, Orlov has basically put Schultz into #8 with his play)...

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:29 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
I see Orlov sent back to Hershey if Green returns. More Hershey is good for him theory . We sent Alzner back after good stretches, so Orlov can go back too.

Wideman has been carrying a heavy load. We can live with his mistakes if he brings offense. Just like Green.

George is going to hold all the dmen. We finally have quality depth on both the right and left. Orlov is not ready to displace a top 6 just.

Rest assured, injuries will happen. We need 8D. 4+4, good balance this year.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:34 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Well, the Caps will have 24 healthy roster players when Green comes back (25 if Eakin stays up, which I doubt). So either one is traded or Orlov will be sent down. I'm guessing the latter, unless Dale has made up his mind on Schultz. Tonight's game didn't help his case in any way.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote