HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Spreadsheet of cities' ability to support professional sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2012, 06:25 PM
  #101
dronald
Registered User
 
dronald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
He lives in Canada, which has been lagging anywhere from 2-5 years behind the US and the rest of the world when it comes to wireless and internet connectivity. This is because the government regulating body for these industries (the CRTC) has allowed a couple of dominant players to create an oligopoly, stifling competition and consumer choice. I've lived in the US the past five years so it's been kind of disappointing to see that the technology gap between these countries has only been increasing, and more and more Canadian tech professionals are choosing to move to the US because that's where the best opportunities and innovation are.

Sorry for the derail. On the other hand, these large Canadian media/internet/wireless carrier oligopolists (Bell & Rogers) make for very deep pocketed owners of NHL teams, which synergize well with their media empires.
Uh, please don't speak for me, I answered his question.

dronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 06:43 PM
  #102
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,545
vCash: 500
Looked at some numbers, It amazes how large Houston is compared to other cities without (and that could get one) a team. By far the largest (not counting Atlanta). The only city in NA larger is Mexico City, for obvious reasons. There's no way that out of 5.6 million people, we wouldn't be able to consistently find 10+ thousand a night as long as there's some success.

God, this whole ownership issue is just murdering us right now, though.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:40 PM
  #103
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Looked at some numbers, It amazes how large Houston is compared to other cities without (and that could get one) a team. By far the largest (not counting Atlanta). The only city in NA larger is Mexico City, for obvious reasons. There's no way that out of 5.6 million people, we wouldn't be able to consistently find 10+ thousand a night as long as there's some success.

God, this whole ownership issue is just murdering us right now, though.
You mean the ownership issue over who is allowed to have a team in Houston?

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:39 PM
  #104
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Looked at some numbers, It amazes how large Houston is compared to other cities without (and that could get one) a team. By far the largest (not counting Atlanta). The only city in NA larger is Mexico City, for obvious reasons. There's no way that out of 5.6 million people, we wouldn't be able to consistently find 10+ thousand a night as long as there's some success.

God, this whole ownership issue is just murdering us right now, though.
Houston - 5,946,800 / 4 = 1,486,700
Astros MLB
Rockets NBA
Texans NFL
Dynamo MLS

Seattle - 3,439,809 / 3 = 1,146,603
Mariners MLB
Seahawks NFL
Sounders MLS

Phoenix - 4,192,887 / 3 (+ Coyotes) = 1,397,629
Cardinals NFL
Diamondbacks MLB
Suns NBA

Atlanta - 5,268,860 / 3 (- Thrashers) = 1,756,286
Braves MLB
Falcons NFL
Hawks NBA

And if you don't count MLS
Houston 1,982,267
Seattle 1,719,904

I don't see much difference between those four, and there's evidence to show that two of them struggle to support an NHL team. Three of them are southern, if that makes a difference.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:52 PM
  #105
Canuckommunist
Registered User
 
Canuckommunist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Here are two questions for you to consider:
1) What are "major league prices"?
2) Does an attendance boom when a team has success indicate a healthy market, or a healthy bandwagon?
(1) I disagree with his geographical elitism, but I don't think what he's saying has no truth to it. It's apparent both from a competition and economical stand-point that hockey is most popular in certain markets- not meaning that fans of hockey in those markets are somehow superior, but the volume of business, the market and media coverage are higher than in others. These also don't seem to easily conform to population or city-size. These are disproportionately northern and Canadian cities, but that doesn't exempt them from problems or comparatively southern cities from succeeding. It's, if anything, an "inherent competitive advantage" these northern cities have.

On the issue of prices, I think the other poster doesn't fully understand the dynamics of the Canadian franchise price-model. We have to pay more period even though our dollar is on par with the U.S. dollar because confidence in our economic markets' stability isn't as high and the price of doing business mostly in the states means teams accrue debts that require us to subsidize them more than a U.S. team has to when coming to Canada (i.e. the costs of doing business in the U.S. are higher for Canadian teams than vice-versa for American ones). There's also the fact that price-certainty through the salary cap and a monopoly on professional hockey allow team owners to really up ticket prices without seeing any nominal drop in attendance and profits.

"Major league prices" then is a variable concept that's going to mean different things to different teams. Essentially though I think the sentiment was the prices have to be enough to keep the team afloat i.e. they can't be running in the red and having no attendance if they charge the ticket prices that would sustain them financially. However, that model works against what the other poster is saying as well, as essentially that fully justifies the NHL's retreat from cities like Winnipeg and Quebec (which I'm sure he doesn't support).

(2) I don't see a difference. American and Canadian sports culture values winners and punishes losers the way any market would. Bandwagoning is inherent to the sports model- yes building brand loyalty is a desire for any corporation, because it can weather bad times and create hype to sell more.. but it's an addendum to the primary goal of selling. It doesn't matter if the person buying the ticket to a game, a jersey or a burger at the arena is a season ticket-holder, lifelong fan, a bandwagoner there just to be cool or someone who cares less. The bottom line is the $ is out of their pocket and in the right register.

How this relates to the issue of attendance in southern cities is complicated. It seems like the relationship nominally holds, but it's difficult to measure in cities like Atlanta- where teams saw no playoff success and therefore little opportunity to build the brand. I think Phoenix is a much better experiment and model- though it needs more team, it has begun making the post-season successively and is arguably developing a "winning culture" not just on the ice but in management and training staff. If attendance and cost-certainty can't accrue in that franchise I just can't see any justification for allowing it to survive for instance, when another market that could provide that could be served. As it relates to the issues of financial instability in Canadian and northern markets in the '90s, that was a very real peril to the league's long-term success. However, those markets had all at one-time or another proven that they could also be financially successful, and like any good judge league leaders realized it was exceptional circumstances that brought them to a halt.. not inherent flaws in their markets. Those markets have also recovered mightily and are very healthy today.

The same can't be said for many southern teams, but I think people saying "southern expansion is a failure!!1" are talking mostly out of their ass since the teams they're thinking of really haven't had any opportunity to build excitement or a culture that can appreciate winning the same way those northern teams have. Pulling out now is... inappropriate and short-sighted, but once those markets are properly strained and tested and if they fail, I don't think there's a very good justification for staying.

Canuckommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:08 PM
  #106
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Houston - 5,946,800 / 4 = 1,486,700
Astros MLB
Rockets NBA
Texans NFL
Dynamo MLS

Seattle - 3,439,809 / 3 = 1,146,603
Mariners MLB
Seahawks NFL
Sounders MLS

Phoenix - 4,192,887 / 3 (+ Coyotes) = 1,397,629
Cardinals NFL
Diamondbacks MLB
Suns NBA

Atlanta - 5,268,860 / 3 (- Thrashers) = 1,756,286
Braves MLB
Falcons NFL
Hawks NBA

And if you don't count MLS
Houston 1,982,267
Seattle 1,719,904

I don't see much difference between those four, and there's evidence to show that two of them struggle to support an NHL team. Three of them are southern, if that makes a difference.
I would only say that I feel Houston has supported hockey better then Phoenix and Atlanta has.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:24 PM
  #107
normalpsychology
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 966
vCash: 511
i'd like to see the carolinas get another team. how about another nhl team in charlotte and move the ahl checkers to asheville. upstate SC people could make the short drive to see the checkers. or possibly an NHL team in greenville spartanburg SC area and move the AHL checkers to greensboro nc or wilmington. what do you think?

i'd also like to see more teams out west. seattle, portland

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:53 PM
  #108
normalpsychology
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 966
vCash: 511
right now canada doesn't need any more teams. hockey americas sport. let alone they don't even have any other cities large enough to support an NHL team. You can't put an nhl team in a town with <10,000 inhabitants this is nhl c'mon. plenty of usa cities to put some more. ideally i'd like to see the league expand to about 60 teams. including 3 or 4 in mexico. if we were able to get up to 60 teams then i'd say let's try giving canada few more

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:23 PM
  #109
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
i'd like to see the carolinas get another team. how about another nhl team in charlotte and move the ahl checkers to asheville. upstate SC people could make the short drive to see the checkers. or possibly an NHL team in greenville spartanburg SC area and move the AHL checkers to greensboro nc or wilmington. what do you think?

i'd also like to see more teams out west. seattle, portland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
right now canada doesn't need any more teams. hockey americas sport. let alone they don't even have any other cities large enough to support an NHL team. You can't put an nhl team in a town with <10,000 inhabitants this is nhl c'mon. plenty of usa cities to put some more. ideally i'd like to see the league expand to about 60 teams. including 3 or 4 in mexico. if we were able to get up to 60 teams then i'd say let's try giving canada few more
Seems like you probably need to brush up on geography a bit if you say the NHL should put a team in Greenville, SC and then 1/2-hour later say there's no place left in Canada to put a team. Quite frankly I'm not sure which claim is more ridiculous (maybe it's the "4 teams in Mexico" one).

In all seriousness, Charlotte would probably get an NHL team before many others, but it's wayyy down the list. Besides, with all the talk about Glendale's arena location, it seems like the era of suburban arenas has come to an end.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:43 PM
  #110
normalpsychology
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 966
vCash: 511
well first of all charlotte has a thriving downtown area and they would gladly put a bbbna eautiful big brand new arena right down town, charlotte is known as the queen city you might not know that and outside of nyc it is the second largest banking and financial area in the country. an ideal place for a large nhl arena.

and you know what i'll say it again: THERE IS NO PLACE LEFT IN CANADA FOR AN NHL TEAM. actually let me rephrase that, there is no VIABLE place left in canada for an nhl team that will be sufficient and have a steady future. don't delude yourself. i'm sorry but that's the way it is.

second of all you probably don't know this either but roller hockey is HUGE in latin countries and i'd like to introduce them to ice hockey i think it would take off. i would bet on this thats how sure i am. i have taken a lot of mexican, central american, and south american friends to hockey games and they ALL have LOVED IT. that's because it's a bit like soccer but better in every imaginable way. and the players aren't ******* (for the most part, excluding crosby and his ilk). i coudln't get any to admit to it, but i could tell deep down they were all starting to like hockey better than soccer.

i'd like to see a team in tijuana, juarez, chichuahua, san luis potosi, and of course a flagship team in mexico city. hell guadalajara would be good too.

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:47 PM
  #111
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
well first of all charlotte has a thriving downtown area and they would gladly put a bbbna eautiful big brand new arena right down town, charlotte is known as the queen city you might not know that and outside of nyc it is the second largest banking and financial area in the country. an ideal place for a large nhl arena.

and you know what i'll say it again: THERE IS NO PLACE LEFT IN CANADA FOR AN NHL TEAM. actually let me rephrase that, there is no VIABLE place left in canada for an nhl team that will be sufficient and have a steady future. don't delude yourself. i'm sorry but that's the way it is.
the suburban comment was only about your (2nd) suggestion to place a team in Greenville/Spartanburg.

as for the bolded part -- link? evidence? you sure know a lot about facts.

who is more delusional, someone who needs to write in all caps something that contradicts what the league just did 6 months ago (i.e. move a team to Canada), or someone who suggests an NHL team in San Luis Potosi? (it's a trick question)

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:48 PM
  #112
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 30,171
vCash: 50
I think MeleeRay just gave me an aneurism....

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:54 PM
  #113
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 5,573
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
they would gladly put a bbbna eautiful big brand new arena right down town
You mean the brand new arena that they just opened in 2005 that was publicly financed for $260 million? The same one that only holds 14,100 for hockey?

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:38 PM
  #114
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 13,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
well first of all charlotte has a thriving downtown area and they would gladly put a bbbna eautiful big brand new arena right down town, charlotte is known as the queen city you might not know that and outside of nyc it is the second largest banking and financial area in the country. an ideal place for a large nhl arena.
It is absolutely irrelevant if the downtown is a "thriving area." Detroit's isn't. Buffalo's isn't. Both supported infinitely better than your Hurricanes. Buffalo, coincidentally, also shares that "Queen's City" nickname, as do many city's across the globe.

The financial might that the city has is nice, but it is merely one factor that Charlotte has in its favour. A potential NHL franchise must compete directly against an NBA franchise, in an arena that is designed for basketball. An NFL franchise also calls the city home and while the seasons do not overlap, it further stretches out the entertainment dollar of an already moderately sized population (2.3 million).

If the NHL does decide to expand, and place additional franchises in the United States, what does Charlotte have over Houston (a much larger city and major energy center) or Seattle (closer to the Canadian border, hockey's traditional base)?

Quote:
and you know what i'll say it again: THERE IS NO PLACE LEFT IN CANADA FOR AN NHL TEAM. actually let me rephrase that, there is no VIABLE place left in canada for an nhl team that will be sufficient and have a steady future. don't delude yourself. i'm sorry but that's the way it is.
This is something that came up over, and over, and over again last year and at the end of the day, it was proven wrong. There are viable markets in Canada. Potential ownership candidates have shown as much. Gary Bettman have said as much. Winnipeg has proved as much.

Quebec City is viable place for a franchise, Southern Ontario is a viable place for a second franchise. This might surprise you, but the former in particular might end up with a franchise this off-season, if the NHL tries to unload the Coyotes. Pierre-Karl Peladeau and his media empire will no doubt accept it with open arms.

Quote:
second of all you probably don't know this either but roller hockey is HUGE in latin countries and i'd like to introduce them to ice hockey i think it would take off. i would bet on this thats how sure i am. i have taken a lot of mexican, central american, and south american friends to hockey games and they ALL have LOVED IT. that's because it's a bit like soccer but better in every imaginable way. and the players aren't ******* (for the most part, excluding crosby and his ilk). i coudln't get any to admit to it, but i could tell deep down they were all starting to like hockey better than soccer.

i'd like to see a team in tijuana, juarez, chichuahua, san luis potosi, and of course a flagship team in mexico city. hell guadalajara would be good too.
Unless Carlos Slim Helu himself would like a franchise, I highly doubt you will see any sort team in Mexico.

The hurdles include a low Peso, security issues, low average wages, general lack of knowledge on the sport, and many, many more.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:29 PM
  #115
normalpsychology
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 966
vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
You mean the brand new arena that they just opened in 2005 that was publicly financed for $260 million? The same one that only holds 14,100 for hockey?
not sure what point you're atttempting to make here. are you arguing in support of what i'm saying? because yes, charlotte did just gladly build an AHL arena and would gladly also build an NHL arena downtown. Your statement gives a prime example of the city's willingness to bring hockey to the town. As would most carolina cities


Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
the suburban comment was only about your (2nd) suggestion to place a team in Greenville/Spartanburg.

as for the bolded part -- link? evidence? you sure know a lot about facts.

who is more delusional, someone who needs to write in all caps something that contradicts what the league just did 6 months ago (i.e. move a team to Canada), or someone who suggests an NHL team in San Luis Potosi? (it's a trick question)
does common sense count as facts? because it as well should. quebec city? i've never even heard of it so i highly doubt they have the infrastructure or resources to support an NHL team. looking at a map it looks to be far too north to have a population able to support a team. furthermore, it's pretty close to montreal so they should just root for the canadiens. I would however be in support of giving portland maine a team. they like hockey up there and i think a team would do well there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
It is absolutely irrelevant if the downtown is a "thriving area." Detroit's isn't. Buffalo's isn't. Both supported infinitely better than your Hurricanes. Buffalo, coincidentally, also shares that "Queen's City" nickname, as do many city's across the globe.

The financial might that the city has is nice, but it is merely one factor that Charlotte has in its favour. A potential NHL franchise must compete directly against an NBA franchise, in an arena that is designed for basketball. An NFL franchise also calls the city home and while the seasons do not overlap, it further stretches out the entertainment dollar of an already moderately sized population (2.3 million).

If the NHL does decide to expand, and place additional franchises in the United States, what does Charlotte have over Houston (a much larger city and major energy center) or Seattle (closer to the Canadian border, hockey's traditional base)?



This is something that came up over, and over, and over again last year and at the end of the day, it was proven wrong. There are viable markets in Canada. Potential ownership candidates have shown as much. Gary Bettman have said as much. Winnipeg has proved as much.

Quebec City is viable place for a franchise, Southern Ontario is a viable place for a second franchise. This might surprise you, but the former in particular might end up with a franchise this off-season, if the NHL tries to unload the Coyotes. Pierre-Karl Peladeau and his media empire will no doubt accept it with open arms.



Unless Carlos Slim Helu himself would like a franchise, I highly doubt you will see any sort team in Mexico.

The hurdles include a low Peso, security issues, low average wages, general lack of knowledge on the sport, and many, many more.
manchester new hampshire is also called a queen city. i fail to see your point here because if you will read what i said you will see that i said "there is no place left in canada to support a hockey team." that implies CURRENTLY. You are acting as though wineppeg does not currently have a team, and yet at the same time using the example of a team thriving there as evidence against what i say. what i said is not in conflict with a team thriving in wineppeg at all. so let me put it a little simpler for you: there is no place currently left in canada to support an nhl team.

next. houston and seattle should have teams as well, but carolina based on the markets that exist here would be a better option. hockey is a business and business owners wisely put teams where they will do the best. the carolinas are basically "hockey states" as they sometimes say about cities, like "oh blah blah it's a hockey city." so it's more likely to put another team in the carolinas than in those unproven markets.

another thing you may not realize about charlotte is the 2.3 population is merely the city populations. in the carolinas it is not as common for the populations to be concentrated within city limits. there is a LOT of urban sprawl here. you can look that up on wikipedia if you need to research what that is because i know things are smaller and less dense in canada.

second of all your perception of mexico and your statement that Carlos Slim is the only person who could finance a team in mexico is very... bizarre. You have a very close minded and naive view of mexico if you truly believe the statements you just said and are not trolling. I really do not feel like spending the time educating you about something you will probably continue to stubbornly believe even in the light of evidence, so if you wish I encourage you to do some real unbiased research on mexico and you will find that everything you just said is basically ridiculous to the point of being offensive. Do you watch a lot of fox news or whatever the canadian equivalent is?

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:50 PM
  #116
Westender
Flying W
 
Westender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pine Street
Country: Canada
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
another thing you may not realize about charlotte is the 2.3 population is merely the city populations. in the carolinas it is not as common for the populations to be concentrated within city limits. there is a LOT of urban sprawl here. you can look that up on wikipedia if you need to research what that is because i know things are smaller and less dense in canada.
Wikipedia, eh?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte,_North_Carolina

2.389 million is the combined statistical area (which is a larger and broader definititon of the market than even the metropolitan statistical area typically considered in evaluating markets). The population within city limits is 731 thousand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
i fail to see your point here because if you will read what i said you will see that i said "there is no place left in canada to support a hockey team." that implies CURRENTLY. You are acting as though wineppeg does not currently have a team, and yet at the same time using the example of a team thriving there as evidence against what i say. what i said is not in conflict with a team thriving in wineppeg at all. so let me put it a little simpler for you: there is no place currently left in canada to support an nhl team.
Quebec City is roughly the same size as Winnipeg and has the same level of passion for the sport. I would expect a team there would be just as successful... as do many others, and unlike a lot of other potential locations there is already a strong push to bring an NHL team back to Quebec City. Saying there is no place left in Canada to support an NHL team ignores all this.

Also... it's spelled "Winnipeg". You can check that in Wikipedia too.


Last edited by Westender: 01-15-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typo
Westender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:52 PM
  #117
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
right now canada doesn't need any more teams. hockey americas sport. let alone they don't even have any other cities large enough to support an NHL team.
Is that why Football, Baseball, Basketball, NASCAR and Golf are so much more popular in most American cities than hockey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
and you know what i'll say it again: THERE IS NO PLACE LEFT IN CANADA FOR AN NHL TEAM. actually let me rephrase that, there is no VIABLE place left in canada for an nhl team that will be sufficient and have a steady future. don't delude yourself. i'm sorry but that's the way it is.
Winnipeg just proved you and millions of American's wrong last year, and Quebec City will likely continue to prove you wrong again this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
second of all you probably don't know this either but roller hockey is HUGE in latin countries and i'd like to introduce them to ice hockey i think it would take off. i would bet on this thats how sure i am. i have taken a lot of mexican, central american, and south american friends to hockey games and they ALL have LOVED IT. that's because it's a bit like soccer but better in every imaginable way. and the players aren't ******* (for the most part, excluding crosby and his ilk). i coudln't get any to admit to it, but i could tell deep down they were all starting to like hockey better than soccer.

i'd like to see a team in tijuana, juarez, chichuahua, san luis potosi, and of course a flagship team in mexico city. hell guadalajara would be good too.
So you would rather put more hockey teams in Mexican cities with "large populations" rather than in QC and/or a second team in the GTA. LMFAO! I think this is one of the most rediculous things I have ever heard. I mean, many of us have joked about putting a team in Mexico, but you are actually serious about that. Yikes!

By your statements, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.


Last edited by Puckschmuck*: 01-15-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:14 PM
  #118
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 5,573
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
not sure what point you're atttempting to make here. are you arguing in support of what i'm saying? because yes, charlotte did just gladly build an AHL arena and would gladly also build an NHL arena downtown. Your statement gives a prime example of the city's willingness to bring hockey to the town. As would most carolina cities
They didn't build an AHL arena. They built an NBA arena which can also house hockey though not NHL hockey.

And no they are not going to build another new arena just for an NHL team to compete with another arena for concert dates etc.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:32 PM
  #119
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Houston - 5,946,800 / 4 = 1,486,700
Astros MLB
Rockets NBA
Texans NFL
Dynamo MLS

Seattle - 3,439,809 / 3 = 1,146,603
Mariners MLB
Seahawks NFL
Sounders MLS

Phoenix - 4,192,887 / 3 (+ Coyotes) = 1,397,629
Cardinals NFL
Diamondbacks MLB
Suns NBA

Atlanta - 5,268,860 / 3 (- Thrashers) = 1,756,286
Braves MLB
Falcons NFL
Hawks NBA

And if you don't count MLS
Houston 1,982,267
Seattle 1,719,904

I don't see much difference between those four, and there's evidence to show that two of them struggle to support an NHL team. Three of them are southern, if that makes a difference.
Dallas/Houston/SA are all better sports cities. Not northeast, but as good as LA and the bay area.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:54 AM
  #120
blueandgoldguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greg's River Heights
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
This afternoon I was cleaning my gutters, minding my own business when one of the kids left the gate open and my dogs ran out into the neighborhood. Next thing I know, I'm apologizing to the neighbors across the street for how my dogs had shown up on their doorstep, barking and slobbering all over. Boy, was that ever embarrassing.

Then I come inside, log into HF, and see MeleeRay has wandered out of the Canes forum and into the Business board...
That's quite the analogy!

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:44 AM
  #121
normalpsychology
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 966
vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
They didn't build an AHL arena. They built an NBA arena which can also house hockey though not NHL hockey.

And no they are not going to build another new arena just for an NHL team to compete with another arena for concert dates etc.
and you know this how? please stop stating opinions and passing them off as facts with no basis. the fact that they are using arena's for multiple things shows that the city is hungry for sports entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Is that why Football, Baseball, Basketball, NASCAR and Golf are so much more popular in most American cities than hockey?



Winnipeg just proved you and millions of American's wrong last year, and Quebec City will likely continue to prove you wrong again this year.



So you would rather put more hockey teams in Mexican cities with "large populations" rather than in QC and/or a second team in the GTA. LMFAO! I think this is one of the most rediculous things I have ever heard. I mean, many of us have joked about putting a team in Mexico, but you are actually serious about that. Yikes!

By your statements, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
have I ever said nhl wouldn't work in wineppeg? no so please stop acting as though I have. i was a supporter of moving the thrashers to wineppeg. Second of all you can't use the example of hockey working in wineppeg to argue for nhl team in other canadian cities. the fact that it works in 1 city is no indication of success in another. that's like me saying look NHL has worked in Raleigh so an Nhl team would also work in greensboro and wilmington. It just doesn't quite work does it?

and yes i would rather do that because canada has enough teams and furthermore the market is saturated enough let alone the fact that no businessman (hockey is a business remember, first and foremost, not a national identity) would be stupid enough to put one in either of those places, BECAUSE IT JUST WOULD NOT BE SUSTAINABLE. There are about 5 places in mexico that are guarantees of success. So yes, thinking as a business man which is the only way a new team is going to get up and going yes i would put them in mexico first.

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:05 AM
  #122
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
and you know this how? please stop stating opinions and passing them off as facts with no basis. the fact that they are using arena's for multiple things shows that the city is hungry for sports entertainment.



have I ever said nhl wouldn't work in wineppeg? no so please stop acting as though I have. i was a supporter of moving the thrashers to wineppeg. Second of all you can't use the example of hockey working in wineppeg to argue for nhl team in other canadian cities. the fact that it works in 1 city is no indication of success in another. that's like me saying look NHL has worked in Raleigh so an Nhl team would also work in greensboro and wilmington. It just doesn't quite work does it?

and yes i would rather do that because canada has enough teams and furthermore the market is saturated enough let alone the fact that no businessman (hockey is a business remember, first and foremost, not a national identity) would be stupid enough to put one in either of those places, BECAUSE IT JUST WOULD NOT BE SUSTAINABLE. There are about 5 places in mexico that are guarantees of success. So yes, thinking as a business man which is the only way a new team is going to get up and going yes i would put them in mexico first.
If you are going to insist on making this argument, will you at least please learn how to spell the name of the city correctly? It's WINNIPEG. Please be respectful in that sense.

Thank you.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:01 AM
  #123
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 56,131
vCash: 135
These discussion are always fun because we suddenly learn that this site is full of economic experts, political science gurus and so many people who know how to run successful businesses that have a turn over capital of over 160mill a year.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:54 AM
  #124
jigglysquishy
Registered User
 
jigglysquishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,501
vCash: 500
No businessmen are interested in Canadian hockey?

Is that why Quebecor is trying to buy a team for Quebec?

Or RIM was trying up until last year to put a team in Hamilton?

Or Rudy Braddy building a half-billion dollar hockey rink in Markham?

There are only six hockey rinks in Mexico that seat more than 1000 people. There are like 25 in my province of 1,000,000 that seat more. You will not see an NHL team in Mexico within the next 25 years.

The first league that will do Mexico is the MLB. People ***** about Quebec being French. Just wait for the ****storm with a Spanish Mexico.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:52 AM
  #125
archangel archangel
Registered User
 
archangel archangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,359
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
No businessmen are interested in Canadian hockey?

Is that why Quebecor is trying to buy a team for Quebec?

Or RIM was trying up until last year to put a team in Hamilton?

Or Rudy Braddy building a half-billion dollar hockey rink in Markham?

There are only six hockey rinks in Mexico that seat more than 1000 people. There are like 25 in my province of 1,000,000 that seat more. You will not see an NHL team in Mexico within the next 25 years.

The first league that will do Mexico is the MLB. People ***** about Quebec being French. Just wait for the ****storm with a Spanish Mexico.
in Alberta most High School arena seat over 1000 people

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.