HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bieksa Making his Point(s) on Defence

Old
12-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Bieksa Making his Point(s) on Defence

Brad Zeimer of the Vancouver Sun on how KB3 has been racking up the points recently with 8 points in his last 8 games and on pace to beat his career high of 43 points in 2008-09 while on a 5 game point streak.

Bieksa and Hamhuis have formed a solid pairing and it seems to be helping both of them offensively and defensively. 38 points between them and are a combined plus-22 while shutting down the opposition's top lines. Plus by playing with the Sedin or Kesler lines agaisnt other top lines this gives both Bieksa and Hamhuis more opportunity to jump up into the play.

As Mike Gillis says the opportunity to play with Hamhuis was part of the sales job for Bieksa's contract extension:
"One of the things we talked to Kevin about when we were getting him re-signed is that he's found a real good partner in Dan," says Canucks general manager Mike Gillis. "They are playing really well together and it's bringing out the best in both of them, I think.

"Dan is having an opportunity to jump into the play and play in some different situations and Kevin is now using his speed and skill to jump up more. They are a really good combination. A lot of teams don't expect them to jump up because they are playing against the other team's top lines a lot of the night, but they do. I think those two guys are going to have a couple of really good years together."
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...951/story.html

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
KB3 has turned my opinion of him as a player around in the last year so, but I really didn't think he's find that offensive gear again. Last year he concentrated moreso on his defense to pretty good effect -- I thought he should do the same this year, but as he an Hamhuis play more together they seem to be getting better and better about covering for each other. Bieksa's pinches and forays into the offensive zone are more controlled and timely, and his first pass and rushes up the ice are effective (as they've always been). He's also looking a bit better on that 2nd unit.

Kudos to him for re-doubling his efforts after the big extension and continuing to improve as a hockey player.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 01:59 PM
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

He still has his "Casual Kev" moments, but I'm glad he more than makes up for it with offensive production.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Had a bit of a turbulent start, but then, so did the whole team. I think he's playing a much smarter two-way game than he did in the seasons where he hit 40+ points, which is excellent for us. Glad to see the results are coming for him. I said when we lost Ehrhoff that the offense would need to come by committee, and so far, the team has been doing just that. Edler and Bieksa on pace for career highs, Hamhuis and Ballard on pace to increase their totals over last year, and of course if Salo can stay even remotely healthy (excuse me while I go out and knock on every piece of wood in Kitimat), it will be a big help.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 02:16 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Great. For his next step let's hope he learns how to pivot both ways.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 02:35 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Everybody talks about Luongo's poor starts, but Bieksa is just as terrible. The guy makes me eat crow every year, but I think he deserved the criticism to start the season because he was flat-out awful. Thank the hockey gods the guy turned it around with that monstrous NMC contract we gave him.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 02:41 PM
opendoor

My only worry about Bieksa is the same one that I have about most of the rest of the team (Luongo, Kesler, Sedins, Burrows, and even the coaching staff). And that's how he'll react when there's adversity or a crisis.

When everything's going smoothly like it is right now and it was for most of the playoffs last year they look great; the Canucks play like a well oiled machine. But when there's some adversity too many guys just lose their heads and try and overcompensate and Bieksa's one of the main culprits. We saw it to start the year and I hope we don't see it in the playoffs again.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:02 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Everybody talks about Luongo's poor starts, but Bieksa is just as terrible. The guy makes me eat crow every year, but I think he deserved the criticism to start the season because he was flat-out awful. Thank the hockey gods the guy turned it around with that monstrous NMC contract we gave him.
Bieksa is a player who needs to be insulated. With a strong partner, in a strong defensive system, he's a fantastic defenseman. When the team is playing loose/scrambly and he starts trying to compensate by doing too much, it's a catastrophe.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:14 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Bieksa is a player who needs to be insulated. With a strong partner, in a strong defensive system, he's a fantastic defenseman. When the team is playing loose/scrambly and he starts trying to compensate by doing too much, it's a catastrophe.
sounds like the Luongo of dmen.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Intoewsables

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
sounds like the Luongo of dmen.
I don't get this. Luongo was amazing behind a loose/scrambly/BAD team in Florida.

Intoewsables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:52 PM
grayson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF94 View Post
I don't get this. Luongo was amazing behind a loose/scrambly/BAD team in Florida.
There is no pressure when the team in front of you is that glaringly horrid.
/Not a Luongo detractor, just playing devils advocate.

grayson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:15 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
My only worry about Bieksa is the same one that I have about most of the rest of the team (Luongo, Kesler, Sedins, Burrows, and even the coaching staff). And that's how he'll react when there's adversity or a crisis.

When everything's going smoothly like it is right now and it was for most of the playoffs last year they look great; the Canucks play like a well oiled machine. But when there's some adversity too many guys just lose their heads and try and overcompensate and Bieksa's one of the main culprits. We saw it to start the year and I hope we don't see it in the playoffs again.
He didn't really do that until Hamhuis went out in the Finals. At one point I wanted him gone but the team needs his attitude. It's something they don't have much of. You don't want a bunch of Bieksa's on your team but you need one.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 04:18 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
#53...the future

He was the Alex Kovalev of defencemen until this year. He'd follow up a great year with a disastrous one.

ThereGoesVirtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 05:54 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Thank god Hamhuis, in general, is healthy. Bieksa just doesn't have chemistry with any of our other defensemen.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 06:33 PM
DFAC

Kevin "Night & Day" Bieksa

DFAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Burningblades

He is third in the league in ESP at 16 for defencemen. I feel people look at points to much and not the situations in which they got them. Like Hansen having 11 ESG the same as Burrows and Daniel it really shows how good of a season Hansen is having because he is not going to be getting the PP goals.

Burningblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 07:05 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF94 View Post
Yeah, this doesn't make sense at all.

Arguably Luongo's best years were behind the worst teams he's ever played for.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 07:37 PM
David71

he's been very good this year. sometimes us fans get to see 2 sides of kevin bieska. when he's on his game he plays it very well. or otherwise he tries to do too much and runs around in the d-zone with his head cut off. hamhuis/bieska make a very excellent pairing.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:43 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
He didn't really do that until Hamhuis went out in the Finals. At one point I wanted him gone but the team needs his attitude. It's something they don't have much of. You don't want a bunch of Bieksa's on your team but you need one.
He was also talking about a whole bunch of other guys though, not just KB3. I agree on what he said, too.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:06 AM
MS

Such a bloody strange and inconsistent player.

He was utterly terrible in October but since the 2nd week of November has been exceptional. Night-and-day turnaround from the worst player on the team to one of the best.

First 16 games - 0-3-3 -9
Last 23 games - 4-15-19 +16

As was noted previously, it's great when he has runs of play like this but the worry is whether he can hold it together when the pressure is ramped up in the playoffs. In the past he's utterly fallen apart and regressed to his idiot side, especially in 2010.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

I agree he still has that "Casual Kev" moment. But meh, that's Bieksa as a player. I love that arrogant look.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:15 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
I agree he still has that "Casual Kev" moment. But meh, that's Bieksa as a player. I love that arrogant look.
I used to think he was just being stupid, now I think he's bored and likes to play a bit casual and trying to amuse himself.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
As was noted previously, it's great when he has runs of play like this but the worry is whether he can hold it together when the pressure is ramped up in the playoffs. In the past he's utterly fallen apart and regressed to his idiot side, especially in 2010.
In 2010 he was 3g 5a and +2 in 12 games. For his career Bieksa has 23pts in 56 games and is a +10 in the playoffs.

A lot of guys trying to justify their earlier position that Bieksa was a terrible player that should be given away because it would be addition by subtraction. The truth is that he has always been a really good player that made one bonehead play every game or two. Since he has limited those mistakes, he has become a great defenseman.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

He was very good in the playoffs last year until he was hurt, in fact he was probably one of our best over all players over all.

Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:38 PM
KesGold17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Thank god Hamhuis, in general, is healthy. Bieksa just doesn't have chemistry with any of our other defensemen.
Exactly. Bieksa needs a quick puck mover to play with him or he can be exposed.

I like Bieska but he's a very streaky D-Man, we just have to hope Hamhuis does not get injured in the playoffs again =/

KesGold17 is offline   Reply With Quote