HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Capitals at Blue Jackets 12/31 7:00 EST, FSOhio. "Annus Horribilis" Edition

Old
01-01-2012, 03:37 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobil1fan View Post
I'd wait another 2 weeks and then can Arniel for that reason.
Are you thinking All-Star Break? If not, why 2 weeks?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 03:49 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
. Arniel's words will no longer be taken at face value - because he tried to lie his way out of a tough question and got caught with the facts.
I don't think he lied - why lie about a stat available to anyone who cared to look it up? I think it's much more damning that he truly had no idea how bad they are, 4 on 4. Obviously, he didn't care enough to look it up, himself!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 03:52 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I don't think he lied - why lie about a stat available to anyone who cared to look it up? I think it's much more damning that he truly had no idea how bad they are, 4 on 4. Obviously, he didn't care enough to look it up, himself!
He lied by insisting he knew the stat when he didn't. Almost every large office has a guy who does what Arniel did last night.

Old
01-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. At this point the last go round the Dispatch reporters instead turned their fire on message board posters.
Quote:
BS you about what exactly? After Hitch's disastrous December ownership did...nothing. You think it is going to go differently because you feel Porty's tone is different?

I think you're making a logical leap that because Porty changed his tune last time when the writing was on the wall that him apparently being critical this time is a sign the ax will soon swing. Based on what I've heard recently though I'm not convinced that's the case.
Quote:
Whatever, Lee. If you really think Porty has magical powers or grand insight into ownership's feelings on these matters it should only be a matter of days before that trade for Marty Reasoner we've been waiting on.
Quote:
Of course you're not. I admire the fact that you're not silent. In fact, I wish you were more vocal outside the safety of an Internet message board.

I simply called you out for your stupid comment about "Dispatch reporters" then claiming your weren't commenting on them. That was way too similar to the crap Arniel tried to pull over everyone's eyes tonight. I'll say it was just an innocent mistake on your part, but this needs to be the final straw for Arniel.
Quote:
Oh, I'm plenty vocal in real life too. I've pulled money from the team for some organizations I'm associated with and it doesn't seem to have an effect. A former colleague who had 4 glass seats expressed his frustrations before canceling and felt their response was weak and is still pissed at the team. If a guy
spending $20,000 a year on tickets isn't being listened to, who will they listen to?

I don't know what it takes for the fans to finally be heard and this team to finally start fixing this mess top to bottom. And I am afraid the arena fix may actually take the pressure off of them to do something.
I'm late to the game but the top post quoted is why lee was discussing the Dispatch reporters - because you brought it up. You said "last time" they weren't applying pressure on the team. lee simply replied "they already are." The you changed the argument to "so what?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
*Sarcasm mode on * Yeah, Chimera was obviously the "problem" in the locker room. *Sarcasm mode off *

He has more goals then every single person on the Blue Jacket roster. Not bad for a 3rd line player.
You forgot to turn on the "irrelevant in context" meter before your second comment.

Old
01-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Mobil1fan

Quote:
Are you thinking All-Star Break? If not, why 2 weeks?
I'm thinking another 2-3 weeks to let Arniel set them up for the draft lottery and/or for an interim GM/President to be found, then 6 weeks for guys to play for their jobs/trade value before the deadline.

Mobil1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:01 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Did anyone happen to catch what exactly Ovechkin did when the Mayor dissed him after the ceremonial face off? He kind of made a quick motion with his hand or whatever with Coleman's back turned. We couldn't quite tell what he did.

This is the second time this has happened this season, btw. You would think the handlers involved in this sort of thing would explain that it's customary to shake the hands of both captains.

I have nothing to add to the arniel and team angst. I will say, after our 'STH Backstage Pass', most of my anger of the night has to do with the way they handled that event. Instead of being anything special, it was a waste of an hour and a major irritant. The NWA security staff seemed more annoyed with our presence than trying to make the event fun in any way. I get that it's not something they like to do, and they like to run it as tightly as they can, but this is the second poor experience we've had this year.

The first, the Tunnel of Pride earlier this season, was interesting in that they changed the way they did it this year. Instead of just lining up, they cordoned people off into lines of 50 and tried to organize it that way. The problem was, they had filled up the length of the 'tunnel' by the time our line went, so we had to basically line up behind other people, doubling and quadrupling up. The event was fun when you were close enough to see the players, give fist bumps, etc. Standing 3rd and 4th deep was way lame. I particularly felt bad for the kids who were stuck behind people and could barely see anything. In general, throughout, I thought the security staff and organizers were handling us more like a bother than people they were trying to please, or at least make it a fun experience.

Fast forward to last night, there was very little direction on what to do and when there was direction, it wasn't exactly given with a smile. I had to email my rep Thursday because I hadn't heard anything like I was promised when I reserved the 12/31 game as our "Backstage Pass" game. My rep is cool, and he called to outline what to expect. I had talked to others as well, so I kind of had an idea of what to expect. I'm not a big autograph guy, so the fact that only a few guys came out to sign wasn't that big of a deal, but it was disappointing that those are also the only guys we saw. Big props to Wiz for hobbling down the line to sign for everyone. The others that came out while we were there were Umberger, Pahlsson, Huselius, Savard, Johansen and Carter. Carter was last, and he didn't finish the line because security more or less signaled that it was time to wrap up. I'd like to think he'd finish the line anyway, but I'm not going to bust on him for that. At least he came out. Anyway, I have little doubt that no one from staff or security explains to the players that STHs are outside waiting.

The part of the whole Backstage Pass that was annoying was that the security staff were, more or less, ****** about everything. It was fairly clear they weren't happy to be there and they were tolerating us more than they were trying to help us have a fun experience. IMO, if this is the best they can do, they shouldn't do it at all. Events outside game days have always been fun, so maybe they should stick to those. We came out of the arena disappointed and irritated, and it had nothing to do with hockey. That should never happen, IMO.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:30 PM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

went to one of these backstage pass thingies earlier in the year and had a pretty good time. It was after a win and I think that obviously has a huge influence on attitudes, how many players come out, etc. Not into the signing thing either but I remember Nash, Carter, DMac, Mase, Dorsett, Boll, RJ signing. They definitely need to work on communication with the players. Johan walked past the line of people without noticing or acknowledging anyone. Same with Howson (who cares?). I don't believe either of them knew about the event. All I can say is they shouldn't have this event on holidays. NYE when everyone has a place to be at midnight and your almost guaranteed a crap event.

BJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:33 PM
FANonymous

You do realize that the job of security is to ensure the safety of the players and not that you have a good time right?

I'm not saying they should be *******s, but their job is to keep **** from happening, especially to the star athletes there. So when you start ferreting in a bunch of people who have spent a lot of money on a less than stellar product...

It only takes one crazy to ruin everything.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:23 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
You do realize that the job of security is to ensure the safety of the players and not that you have a good time right?

I'm not saying they should be *******s, but their job is to keep **** from happening, especially to the star athletes there. So when you start ferreting in a bunch of people who have spent a lot of money on a less than stellar product...

It only takes one crazy to ruin everything.
Of course I understand what their job is. I also think they ought to be capable of doing it without being dicks. Particularly to STHs.

Perhaps I should elaborate that I think it is the org's job to see that we have a good time, or, that we at least don't have a bad time. Having a STH representative there to communicate with us would have probably helped the situation.

I should also elaborate that I'm not talking about having my bag searched or other security measures. I'm referring to the security lady *****ing at me for not standing 6 inches to the right when after awhile, a large group of kids and adults came up and were permitted to stand out in the open, which is exactly what she was on my case about. To top it off, as soon as I move, she points at my camera and tells me "no flash". That's about the point I started pushing back. I understand there are going to be rules, but she was more or less coming at me direct and I don't care for that. Maybe she hates Robert Kron or something.

And I haven't even brought up the six people with STH passes wearing Caps jerseys that were permitted to line up on the CBJ side.

Old
01-01-2012, 11:28 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfan View Post
All I can say is they shouldn't have this event on holidays. NYE when everyone has a place to be at midnight and your almost guaranteed a crap event.
In hindsight, you're right. I picked this one hoping as much to see the opposing team as anything. I thought it would be something better than it was, but I at least figured I'd see people, if not get autos or whatever. I saw four Caps. Chimera came out to meet the Salmons, Knuble, coach Hunter and we saw Ovechkin, but he spent the time in the shadows on the phone then left.

Like I said, the auto thing wasn't so much the big deal...it was more the poor, half ass way the staff handled the whole thing.

Old
01-02-2012, 05:28 AM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
Like I said, the auto thing wasn't so much the big deal...it was more the poor, half ass way the staff handled the whole thing.
Couldn't agree with you more. I went on free hat night, so everyone had those for players to sign. CBJ ticket rep only had black and red sharpies to hand out to fans for autographs. Pretty much worthless on a dark blue hat background. I remember Boll signing something for a person in a wheelchair and having to ask everyone in line if they had a silver marker so he could sign a stick for him. You would think the STH reps handling these events on a regular basis would be better prepared.

BJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:23 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
it was more the poor, half ass way the staff handled the whole thing.
AP had a comment in chat the other day about how this organization is ran like a minor league franchise. Myself being former military, I traveled a lot and have been to at least 25 minor league baseball fields, and I get the same feeling regarding the CBJ, they are ran like a minor league operation. The intermission entertainment, the way the staff handles events, its like AA southern league baseball.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:13 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
*Sarcasm mode on * Yeah, Chimera was obviously the "problem" in the locker room. *Sarcasm mode off *

He has more goals then every single person on the Blue Jacket roster. Not bad for a 3rd line player.
In all fairness, Chimera has also lead the Caps in goals until, well, pretty much this week.

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Jacket Canuck

Quote:
AP had a comment in chat the other day about how this organization is ran like a minor league franchise. Myself being former military, I traveled a lot and have been to at least 25 minor league baseball fields, and I get the same feeling regarding the CBJ, they are ran like a minor league operation. The intermission entertainment, the way the staff handles events, its like AA southern league baseball.
I have thought this for about the past month. I originally had my BSP set up for the Boston game. I got the call 2 days before stating that they were have the whole team autograph session after that game so there was no way to have the BSP event that night. My rep stated that you can pick any home game and i asked "any" and was told yes. I selected the Edmonton game at the end of March. Low and behold i get a message on Friday that they are leaving on a road trip immediately following that game and won't be able to have the BSP event, WTF . I plan on talking to my rep tomorrow, selecting a new game and expressing my opinion that this organization is ran like a minor league operation, not that it will do any good. I can already invision my rep rolling her eyes as i express my opinion. It is very evident that there is no planning or for though put into STH or most cases fan events.

Jacket Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:48 PM
gonz

Quote:
Except you get a better work ethic with minor league teams.

gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:52 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I have had my own problems with how STHs are treated and how bad the ticket reps are but I would like to pass along a good experience that I had this year.

My daughter's 1st birthday was on 12/16 and since the Jackets were playing at home on the 15th we decided to bring her to her first regular season Jackets game. The day before the game I sent my rep an email asking if he could get a Happy 1st Birthday wish to my daughter put on the scoreboard. He replied back and said it was all taken care of and wanted to know if I would be in our STH seats for the night because he wanted to stop by and wish her a happy birthday.

Very early in the 1st period my rep showed up at my seats introduced himself to me and my wife and wished Reagan a happy birthday and asked if we would like to watch the rest of the game from a suite. We accepted the tickets and he walked us down to the suite that was fully stocked with food and drinks. A number of reps from the team stopped by and thanked us for being STHs and to wish Reagan a happy birthday and during the 1st intermission the birthday message I had asked for was displayed on the scoreboard.

This was something that they did not have to do but it was very nice of them and really help make her first game and first birthday a memorable one.

Here is a photo of her in her Jackets gear before the game.

Last edited by 1857 Howitzer: 01-02-2012 at 09:20 PM.
1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:57 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I have had my own problems with how STHs are treated and how bad the ticket reps are but I would like to pass along a good experience that I had this year.

My daughter's 1st birthday was on 12/16 and since the Jackets were playing at home on the 15th we decided to bring her to her first regular season Jackets game. The day before the game I sent my rep an email asking if he could get a Happy 1st Birthday wish to my daughter put on the scoreboard. He replied back and said it was all taken care of and wanted to know if I would be in our STH seats for the night because he wanted to stop by and wish her a happy birthday.

Very early in the 1st period my rep showed up at my seats introduced himself to me and my wife and wished Reagan a happy birthday and asked if we would like to watch the rest of the game from a suite. We accepted the tickets and he walked us down to the suite that was fully stocked with food and drinks. A number of reps from the team stopped by and thanked us for being STHs and to wish Reagan a happy birthday and during the 1st intermission the birthday message I had asked for was displayed on the scoreboard.

This was something that they did not have to do but it was very nice of them and really help make her first game and first birthday a memorable one.
Now THAT is how it is SUPPOSED to be done!

Old
01-02-2012, 08:59 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:

Awesome!! I agree with Lee!! First class

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:24 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:

Great story. I should explain that my rep has actually been great since the day he was assigned to me. He gets back to me quickly when I need something and checks up on me fairly often. I have no complaints at all with him or most of the folks we normally deal with for these sorts of things.

I guess most of what I'm complaining about with the backstage thing was that none of these people were present to control things, explain what to do, etc. If they had been, I think it would've likely went better. As someone said, security isn't about customer service, and the lack thereof was more or less what made it less fun than it should've been.

Old
01-03-2012, 08:38 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Totally get what you are saying John. Someone from the team should have been there to direct the event. I worked in Security back when I was in college and the last thing I would have wanted to do for a lack of a better term is babysit while trying to do my job.

I would contract your ticket rep and let me know your feelings on the event.

Old
01-03-2012, 08:44 AM
CBJCougar

I get that security is an issue when you have athletes near the common man. But isn't that the point of frisking us before we enter? Not that they shouldn't still be on guard, but I don't find that an acceptable excuse for rudeness.

There has been a change at Nationwide with the way guests are handled and it's not positive. I don't know if they have asked everyone to take pay cuts or what but the attitude is definitely different.

Old
01-03-2012, 08:52 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Here is a photo of her in her Jackets gear before the game.
Seriously, can you get any damn cuter of a picture? Not much....

Glad you had such a great experience.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:59 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Seriously, can you get any damn cuter of a picture? Not much....

Glad you had such a great experience.
Thanks Blah, she had a great time time and we were able to stay for the whole game. There are a few early start times in February and March and I hope to be able to take her to them and then a little more often next season.

Here is her Christmas photo for anyone that cares.

Old
01-03-2012, 09:07 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Thanks Blah, she had a great time time and we were able to stay for the whole game. There are a few early start times in February and March and I hope to be able to take her to them and then a little more often next season.

Here is her Christmas photo for anyone that cares.

Oh my GOSH!! She is adorable!! How did I miss that photo of her in her Jacket's gear?? Precious!! You make pretty baby's!!

Old
01-03-2012, 09:17 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Thanks Cougar