HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Draft Watch

Old
01-01-2012, 12:30 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
This is year two of the rebuild, unless you think Khabibulin and Heatley were part of the rebuild. So only three more years to go. After this one.
Yep, anybody who thinks that this is Year 3 or more of the rebuild is deluding themselves. IMO the rebuild began once Katz admitted that the team is going into full rebuild mode which was right around the time that Hall was drafted.
This is clearly Year 2 of the rebuild.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:37 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Sure you will.

Anyway, I hate this thread. I've watched and loved the Oilers for 25+ years but I'm getting perilously close to cutting the cord. I know that I'll be labelled as a "fair weather" or lousy fan for saying this but whatever; I don't give a ****. Playoffs were always a looooooooong shot in 2011/2012 but what's happening this year is inexcusable and shouldn't be condoned or accepted.

How about those Ottawa Senators, eh? Weren't they supposed to finish last?
Sorry bud but if you cut the cord with the team and aren't a fan anymore then yes you are a fair weather fan and nothing more which is fine but don't call yourself a die hard or a true fan if you cut the cord with the team.

I've been a Detroit Lions fan for about 20 years and have been through many more brutal seasons (much moreso than the Oilers) and never EVER considered not cheering for my team. That is what being a die hard fan is all about, you stick with your team through thick and thin and when they finally do well, it makes it all the more satisfying after going through the rough times.

You may want changes in the front office and you may not be happy with the direction of the team but you never EVER stop cheering for your team if you are a true fan.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Baigle View Post
Hall - RNH - Yakupov

A top line of three consecutive first overall draft picks. lol.
I guess I'm OK with getting the first overall again, but only if Hemsky and some other players are sent away for enough draft picks to also snag Ryan Murray and Frk.
How on earth do you expect Hemsky and "some others" to fetch us Ryan Murray?

AND Frk!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:41 PM
oilers92

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
How on earth do you expect Hemsky and "some others" to fetch us Ryan Murray?

AND Frk!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
step 1)send invites to a kats charity party
2)get them drunk
3)take pictures
4)email picture to them and tell them thats a nice one want to see more
5)ask for best picks for gagner/hemsky there excuse being they like small 2nd liners

its simple when you think about it

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers92 View Post
step 1)send invites to a kats charity party
2)get them drunk
3)take pictures
4)email picture to them and tell them thats a nice one want to see more
5)ask for best picks for gagner/hemsky there excuse being they like small 2nd liners

its simple when you think about it
how foolish i can be...

im disappointed in myself

Old
01-01-2012, 03:07 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Well said.

I wasn't expecting playoffs this year. I wasn't even really expecting meaningful games in late-March/April.

What I was expecting was competitive fire. What I was expecting was tangible evidence that this franchise is turning a corner, away from the last five seasons of complete failure and on the road to a new era. What I was expecting was a sense of hope that things are finally changing.

Instead, what we've seen is simply a continuation of the last five seasons - accepting losses, justifying failures, and a completely emotionless and passionless team essentially on a nightly basis. Our best players every single night can't drink in the United States.

Do we ever outshoot, outhustle, outhit or outwork our opponents? Ever? I'm asking seriously. We lose on literally every metric in hockey games.

Failure and losing is this team's identity. No amount of ZOMG totally awsome!!!!1 draft picks are going to change an organization that has decayed to this point.

I don't think I could ever stop cheering for the Oilers, but I think I'm going to have to start cheering for something else.

Very clearly, cheering for wins isn't working out.

Eberle/RNH have provided for some excitement, but no human being can possibly sustain positivity and productivity when they are bombarded with constant suckage everywhere they turn. RNH is already hitting a wall, I expect Eberle to follow suit soon. No disrespect to those players at all, but they just are at complete odds with the identity of this franchise - they want to win and they expect to. Hall isn't getting the coaching or leadership he needs to hit the next level. I'm supremely confident the black hole of suck will soon swallow these three players.

At this point, I'm thinking nothing short of a purge of every front office stooge and tainted veteran will fix this mess. Cut ties with everyone who has contributed to creating the identity of this team. That means literally everyone in management and coaching. A complete overhaul. Nobody who has set foot in Oilers HQ during the last 10 years should be allowed within a country mile of this franchise.

You know, I used to believe in this rebuild. I used to believe the simple formula of compiling high-end draft picks leads to Stanley Cups actually worked. But there are lasting, damning effects that constant failure has on a franchise, and we're witnessing it first hand.

Losing is what we've become. It's who we are. We've justified losing. We've accepted it. Once you've done that .... well, I don't know how that ends ....
Well put and again we begin to hear the usual crap, it will get better next year. Really how so? Without radical changes to this lineup this team is going absolutely nowhere. I have no faith in management that things will change for the better, losing has become acceptable.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 03:16 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Sorry bud but if you cut the cord with the team and aren't a fan anymore then yes you are a fair weather fan and nothing more which is fine but don't call yourself a die hard or a true fan if you cut the cord with the team.

I've been a Detroit Lions fan for about 20 years and have been through many more brutal seasons (much moreso than the Oilers) and never EVER considered not cheering for my team. That is what being a die hard fan is all about, you stick with your team through thick and thin and when they finally do well, it makes it all the more satisfying after going through the rough times.

You may want changes in the front office and you may not be happy with the direction of the team but you never EVER stop cheering for your team if you are a true fan.
Certainly can feel your pain, I happen to cheer for the Dolphins, Raptors, and Blue Jays without ever considering cheering for others. The Oilers remind me a lot of the situation facing the Dolphins, inept management and acceptance of this by their respective owners.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 03:22 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
How soon we forget the team was doing massively well in the first 15 games. Seems the other teams now have a read on how to defeat the Oilers. Either that or injuries and tiredness of the vets have let the team down.

Only a handful of players produce. They all try but hopefully the team gets some breaks and wins a few before it's all over.
It's not like the Oilers play had a strategic flaw that was found but they can just make some adjustments and get back into the play-off race. What other teams figured out was simply "the Oilers are small and weak and lack will power; hit them hard and often and they won't do jack squat". There's no adjustment a coach can make to that. He can give 45 of the most amazing motivational speeches in history before the remaining games, it's still not going to get this team anywhere. This team is weak and gutless and the addition of no quantity of 18 year olds to this club, no matter how skilled, is going to change that.

The architect(s) of this club are not very good at constructing teams, even when they're being handed some of the best material with which to work. Whenever they make a move that isn't driven by Stu MacGregor, they always end up buying high and selling low. Don't you see that? Veteran assets never ever go up in value here. Ever.

The only thing I question at this point is how much I hold Tambelini responsible. There's a reason a rebuild is a 5 year process, you can't trade bad players for good ones, it just doesn't happen. This team needs defensive depth and he traded Penner for Teubert and a pick turned defenseman, that's about as much as you can ask of the man one would think. So I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water. Yes, I think one of Hemsky and Gagner should have been turned into a defensive asset but did anyone at all ever predict Hemsky would be the worst player in our top 6 this year? It's rather astounding how much that guy has lost everything he used to bring to the table for this team.

But the fact that Lowe is still anywhere near this team really really burns me. That makes a very loud statement about Katz commitment to accountability that scares the crap out of me.

Last edited by stratedge: 01-01-2012 at 03:39 PM.
stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 03:52 PM
bellagiobob

Looks like Dolphin fans have had enough of the losing. Anyone here own a plane?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1152134.html

bellagiobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Well said. I'm really not sure how some people can just shut a switch off to their heart. I mean, you may lose some interest and quit following for a while and check in a little less, but completely cut the cord? Not buying it.

How would you guys like to be a Chicago Cubs fan?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:22 PM
wickedwitch

Quote:
2 years ahead of toews, 1 less SC.

Yes all because of Russian Factor. Don't act like you don't know. Isn't Lidstrom the only European captain to win the cup?
Isn't Chara the Bruins' captain?

wickedwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Stoneman89

Malkin had a pretty good playoff the year the Pens won the cup.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:31 PM
5 14 6 1
We are the 11.5%

Can you imagine we finish 5th last and win the lottery? Would be the ultimate troll job.

My list looks like

Yakupov
Murray
Grigerenko
Dumba
Trouba

If we can land anyone in that top 4 I'll be really happy with the draft.

5 14 6 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Toydarian

Man, the drama in this thread is ridiculous.

Toydarian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:48 PM
JMecc
Oil Change 24/04/15!

Quote:
Yep, anybody who thinks that this is Year 3 or more of the rebuild is deluding themselves. IMO the rebuild began once Katz admitted that the team is going into full rebuild mode which was right around the time that Hall was drafted.
This is clearly Year 2 of the rebuild.
I hear what you're saying but that's only if management really believed the team they put out for the 09-10 season was decent (which I do admit is possible).

I'd say we're in year 3 of the rebuild although you could also make a case that it's year 5.

When you trade the heart of the team (Smitty) for a total of 53GP of experience that are not game-breakers (Nilsson/O'Marra/Plante), you're not trying to win (and they sure didn't, going 2-16-1 after the trade). You're trying to set up for the future (rebuild). That's the crux of the argument for that being the start of the rebuild, with Year 1 being 07-08. They also dealt the captain at the time (Jason Smith) along with the main return for Pronger (Lupul) that summer. The reason you could say this didn't start the rebuild though is that they then signed Souray & Penner & tried for Vanek (clearly not rebuild-type moves), so you could say it was more of a re-tool (change out who the main players are and see if things get better).

In 07-08 the end of season run (14-5-1 end) was within 3 points of the playoffs and that's when Katz bought the team and Tambo was hired. In 08-09, not too much was changed, Oilers 6 points out of a playoff spot.

Summer 09 is when they tried to get rid of some of our up and comers for Heatley (not a rebuilding move), but when that failed I think is when they admitted the rebuid was necessary. Management didn't make any moves to make the team better at all (Garon for nothing, Cole for junk, signed Habby instead of Roloson, ...), them team got worse and worse and finished last.

JMecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:46 PM
DousedInOil

Wow lots of trolls and fairweather fans in this thread. Its not like anyone is hoping that the Oilers miss the playoffs so we can get another 1st overall pick. But let's be realistic here. We have something like 33 points in 37 games. That leaves us with 45 games left in which we probably have to get like 95 points just to make the playoffs. Are we really going to get 62 points in 45 games? I don't know about you but this team isn't capable of a 31-14-0 record.

DousedInOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Wow lots of trolls and fairweather fans in this thread. Its not like anyone is hoping that the Oilers miss the playoffs so we can get another 1st overall pick. But let's be realistic here. We have something like 33 points in 37 games. That leaves us with 45 games left in which we probably have to get like 95 points just to make the playoffs. Are we really going to get 62 points in 45 games? I don't know about you but this team isn't capable of a 31-14-0 record.
maybe we can go 17-0-28

Old
01-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
This is year two of the rebuild, unless you think Khabibulin and Heatley were part of the rebuild. So only three more years to go. After this one.
Our rebuild really "officially" started at the trade deadline of the '09-10 season so the '09-10 season became year 1 IMO we got Hall as a result of that season, this year we got RNH from the '10-11 season, that's year two, now we're looking at this year as year 3 of the rebuild '11-12. Next year will be year 4 of the rebuild. Maybe you want to consider the '10 draft as the start of the rebuild, but IMO it started before that.

01-02-2012, 12:29 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Our rebuild really "officially" started at the trade deadline of the '09-10 season so the '09-10 season became year 1 IMO we got Hall as a result of that season, this year we got RNH from the '10-11 season, that's year two, now we're looking at this year as year 3 of the rebuild '11-12. Next year will be year 4 of the rebuild. Maybe you want to consider the '10 draft as the start of the rebuild, but IMO it started before that.
Unofficially this team has been wandering since the cup run. Anything since then has been a rebuild - not sure there was an official ``rebuild started`` announcement from management.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Unofficially this team has been wandering since the cup run. Anything since then has been a rebuild - not sure there was an official ``rebuild started`` announcement from management.
there was clear change in approach starting deadline 2010 IMO

prior to that it was all about quick fix FA, from then on it was drafting, developing

Old
01-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:

I wasn't aware that there were rules for this kind of thing. And please don't preach to me. K thanx.

I take every friggin loss and lost season personally and seeing my staunch DIE HARD father losing faith and patience this year is wearing on me. Do I want the Oilers to pull through this wretched, pathetic situation and come out smelling like roses? You're damn right I do, but it's getting to the point where I have to detach myself on an emotional level for my own sanity because I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel with this management team and coaching staff.

I adore the jersey and the logo so don't mistake my attempted detachment with complete and totally apathy. I'll never be able to stop myself from checking the paper for stats and scores. Ever.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:26 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Screw forwards, I want Ryan Murray.
I agree, he is every thing the oilers need. I hope we finish 4th ish, so at least we can say we improved and grab Murray.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Well said. I'm really not sure how some people can just shut a switch off to their heart. I mean, you may lose some interest and quit following for a while and check in a little less, but completely cut the cord? Not buying it.

How would you guys like to be a Chicago Cubs fan?
I love baseball but the MLB's playoff structure is absurd. 30 teams battle it out for 162 gruelling games... and only 8 make the playoffs? Ridiculous. The Cubs have a legit excuse for missing the playoffs every year. Only the usual suspects make the dance IE the Yankees.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
The below post sums things up nicely.

Quote:
there was clear change in approach starting deadline 2010 IMO

prior to that it was all about quick fix FA, from then on it was drafting, developing
Bingo.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:05 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Bingo.

No Bingo. The summer leading up to that season they tried to trade for Heatley and signed Khabby. That is not a team that is rebuilding. And it is bs to include that year as year one of a rebuild. It really isnt a rebuild anyway, its more or less incompetence and natural selection at work.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote