HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Leavitt interview transcript

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2004, 11:05 PM
  #51
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,646
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
bettman on cbc - we want to give them - the nhlpa -" time to reflect " -
That's nice. When was the last time Goodenow called Bettman up? You make it sound like the NHLPA is just itching to get a deal done.

Seachd is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:06 PM
  #52
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
Probably because they don't think the NHLPA's offer will fix the problems. In the last lockout, they agreed to some things that they thought may have worked, but as we have seen, those changes didn't. I think the owners learned from that and will stick together for something they feel will work much better than the last CBA.

And, as you mentioned, it's all about money... Being reasonable doesn't always work when your trying to make money, especially when you are working from a position of percieved weakness...
right on - why didn't it work? - because the owner's worked around it - ie - rookie cap 850k - rose to 1.2 - they did it themselves -

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:06 PM
  #53
djhn579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
bettman on cbc - we want to give them - the nhlpa -" time to reflect " -
Wasn't the NHL trying to get the NHLPA to the bargaining table for over a year before the CBA expired, but the NHLPA didn't feel the time was right until 4 to 6 months before the CBA expired?

djhn579 is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:08 PM
  #54
djhn579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
right on - why didn't it work? - because the owner's worked around it -
And like I said, they are going to push for something that will work better, much harder to work around if you will

djhn579 is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:09 PM
  #55
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
Wasn't the NHL trying to get the NHLPA to the bargaining table for over a year before the CBA expired, but the NHLPA didn't feel the time was right until 4 to 6 months before the CBA expired?
the nhl locked out the player's - right? -

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:09 PM
  #56
djhn579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
the nhl locked out the player's - right? -
It takes two sides to reach an agreement, right?

djhn579 is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:10 PM
  #57
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
And like I said, they are going to push for something that will work better, much harder to work around if you will
which is why even a cap won't work - the nfl - signing bonus mentality will kick in - the rich owner's will always get their way -

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:11 PM
  #58
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
It takes two sides to reach an agreement, right?
well said - bettman won't negotiate

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:12 PM
  #59
djhn579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
which is why even a cap won't work - the nfl - signing bonus mentality will kick in - the rich owner's will always get their way -
Signing bonus actually hurts teams more than they help. Even if they cut the player, the bonus continues to count against them.

Looking at how other caps work, don't you think some people may be smart enough to formulate it so those things don't happen?

djhn579 is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:13 PM
  #60
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
That's nice. When was the last time Goodenow called Bettman up? You make it sound like the NHLPA is just itching to get a deal done.
good point - i think in december it'll get real -

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:13 PM
  #61
djhn579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
well said - bettman won't negotiate
That is one side of the coin, the other side is that the union won't negotiate, and what the NHLPA offered would have done nothing for the league

djhn579 is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:15 PM
  #62
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
Signing bonus actually hurts teams more than they help. Even if they cut the player, the bonus continues to count against them.

Looking at how other caps work, don't you think some people may be smart enough to formulate it so those things don't happen?
the nfl had the deferred signing bonus - aka - ricky williams - the agent bargains with the team how much per year - some retired player's are still getting their - x amount per year - sometimes even over 20 years - like a pension

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:16 PM
  #63
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
That is one side of the coin, the other side is that the union won't negotiate, and what the NHLPA offered would have done nothing for the league
thats not true - gary bettman drew the line - don't call us if your not willing to talk cap -

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:17 PM
  #64
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
That is one side of the coin, the other side is that the union won't negotiate, and what the NHLPA offered would have done nothing for the league
incorrect - the player's 5 percent - as i said earlier is laughable but negotiable - but as tom said it would have given back some of the loses as reported -

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:19 PM
  #65
djhn579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
thats not true - gary bettman drew the line - don't call us if your not willing to talk cap -
And the union drew their line "We will not accept any hardcap or softcap that restrains teams from spending" (or something close to that)

djhn579 is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:20 PM
  #66
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
incorrect - the player's 5 percent - as i said earlier is laughable but negotiable - but as tom said it would have given back some of the loses as reported -
also - the big money guys are gonna be gone in 1 - 3 years - as trevor linden said - the player's realize that that kinda money will not happen again for a long while - so the owner's want to lock them in for 6 year's or so and the balance will change again - i know where all the fans are coming from - the hatred is so deep - a partner ship is in order - i just hope it can happen

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:21 PM
  #67
djhn579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
incorrect - the player's 5 percent - as i said earlier is laughable but negotiable - but as tom said it would have given back some of the loses as reported -
It could have been a 20% give back in salaries, but without something to prevent teams from overspending, we would be right back in this situation eventually. A salary give back without some kind of strong control on salaries is nothing but a speed bump.

djhn579 is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:21 PM
  #68
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
We know that Levitt saw the books from all the teams and took a very long look at them with "teams of forensic accountants", which took 10 months.
Ten months is not a long time to look at the books, especially when your dealing with 30 different business. You can not do a real independent audit of those books in that short of time unless you have an army of experts working for you. And for what the NHL paid Levitt, he didn't have that. Unless almost everyone worked for free.

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:22 PM
  #69
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
And the union drew their line "We will not accept any hardcap or softcap that restrains teams from spending" (or something close to that)
you are right - i just wish the league could have let the guys play through it - but lets face it - bettman has to hit the home run or he's gone - and he's a hardcore little dood -

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:23 PM
  #70
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Ten months is not a long time to look at the books, especially when your dealing with 30 different business. You can not do a real independent audit of those books in that short of time unless you have an army of experts working for you. And for what the NHL paid Levitt, he didn't have that. Unless almost everyone worked for free.
don't talk about the books - no one know's and the owners are not obligated to show anyone - but we all know the teams making serious cash just are not into sharing it - the want the players to make up the difference -

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:25 PM
  #71
djhn579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
you are right - i just wish the league could have let the guys play through it - but lets face it - bettman has to hit the home run or he's gone - and he's a hardcore little dood -
The players won't offer any serious concessions unless they are feeling some kind of hardship. If the players were playing while the negotiations were going on, the NHLPA would be talking about a 2% give back on salaries and a soft cap at $80M or something just as ridiculous.

djhn579 is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:26 PM
  #72
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
It could have been a 20% give back in salaries, but without something to prevent teams from overspending, we would be right back in this situation eventually. A salary give back without some kind of strong control on salaries is nothing but a speed bump.
you are right - but its never gonna happen - re karmanos and illitch - re nfl and nba - and baseball is so far gone - look at the playoffs now - only minny continues to mistify

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:29 PM
  #73
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
The players won't offer any serious concessions unless they are feeling some kind of hardship. If the players were playing while the negotiations were going on, the NHLPA would be talking about a 2% give back on salaries and a soft cap at $80M or something just as ridiculous.
perhaps - but you forget - philly leafs wings avs are far richer than any player will ever get - the owners will fold - and don't forget the hatred - forsberg - the best player in the league has already said goodbye - perhaps naslund too -

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:31 PM
  #74
djhn579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
perhaps - but you forget - philly leafs wings avs are far richer than any player will ever get - the owners will fold
Maybe, maybe not. No way to know until it plays out...

djhn579 is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 11:35 PM
  #75
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
Maybe, maybe not. No way to know until it plays out...
i'm with you - labour negotiation's - i really can't see the cup not being hoisted this year -

as i said i'm pro player - but i will freak if there's no playoffs -

mr gib is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.