HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Niittymaki?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-02-2004, 12:48 PM
  #1
BringGilmourBack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,069
vCash: 500
Trade Niittymaki?

With the emergence of Esche last year as your obvious #1 goaltender, and I believe you still have Burke under contract through next year(player 's option I believe) would you guys conside dealing Niittymaki. I'm a Leaf fan and liked his play last year and was curious what you would want in return for him. Reallistically of course. Thanks

BringGilmourBack is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 12:51 PM
  #2
easton122
Registered User
 
easton122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder19
With the emergence of Esche last year as your obvious #1 goaltender, and I believe you still have Burke under contract through next year(player 's option I believe) would you guys conside dealing Niittymaki. I'm a Leaf fan and liked his play last year and was curious what you would want in return for him. Reallistically of course. Thanks
There is no way Clarke is going to trade Niittymaki.

easton122 is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 01:15 PM
  #3
flyerchick12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
I don't think BC would trade Nitty I hope he wouldn't. Plus I don't think the Leafs have anything that BC would be interested in.

flyerchick12 is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 01:17 PM
  #4
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder19
With the emergence of Esche last year as your obvious #1 goaltender, and I believe you still have Burke under contract through next year(player 's option I believe) would you guys conside dealing Niittymaki. I'm a Leaf fan and liked his play last year and was curious what you would want in return for him. Reallistically of course. Thanks

you have to understand this, the Flyers wont make moves like the leafs do, like trade away young guys to keep (get) vets, Niittymaki is our future in goal and if we decided to trade him, Toronto would be one of the last places he'd go, and if u did get him, we'd probably rip u off big time. you've got a way better chance of getting Burke. dont u guys have tellqvist? all the leaf fans here say he's going to be one of the best in the league....

RJ8812* is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 01:25 PM
  #5
flyersrock1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
There is no way Clarke is going to trade Niittymaki.
You never say never. Clarke would only trade him for a great deal. You do have a very nice looking D man in the minors. I always like Colaiacovo. Throw in Tellquist and move around a draft pick and lets get the ball rolling. Remember Esche is only 26 and we have a few other goalies in the system.

flyersrock1 is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 01:31 PM
  #6
BringGilmourBack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flyers_
you have to understand this, the Flyers wont make moves like the leafs do, like trade away young guys to keep (get) vets, Niittymaki is our future in goal and if we decided to trade him, Toronto would be one of the last places he'd go, and if u did get him, we'd probably rip u off big time. you've got a way better chance of getting Burke. dont u guys have tellqvist? all the leaf fans here say he's going to be one of the best in the league....

Nah, Tellqvist sucks...and isn't Esche relatively young. So you'd rather have him(Niittymaki) warming the bench? Or have him waste away in the minors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Clarke has knocked on the Leafs door numerous times in the last number of years , asking for the likes of Antropov, and Kaberle, to name a few. And I'm sure he'd want Ponikarovsky. Anyways

BringGilmourBack is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 02:26 PM
  #7
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,679
vCash: 500
This season he's going to be wasting away in the AHL regardless, but I suspect he'll eventually wind up in the backup spot behind Esche.

I hope he gets a shot to earn his way up before we do something crazy and get rid of him.

Toonces is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 02:41 PM
  #8
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,884
vCash: 500
Trading him would be fruitless anyway because he would be of little value to another team. The goalie market has been poor for a while now.

Brad* is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 02:55 PM
  #9
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 500
I don't agree with the stement he would never trade Nitty. I do believe that he would never trade Nitty to the Leafs though.

FearTheFlyers is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 02:56 PM
  #10
FlyersProspect2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicopee, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flyers_
you have to understand this, the Flyers wont make moves like the leafs do, like trade away young guys to keep (get) vets, Niittymaki is our future in goal and if we decided to trade him, Toronto would be one of the last places he'd go, and if u did get him, we'd probably rip u off big time. you've got a way better chance of getting Burke. dont u guys have tellqvist? all the leaf fans here say he's going to be one of the best in the league....
Saying Nitty is our future in goal is very arguable. IMO Esche is going to remain the number one guy for the Flyers and Nitty is going to be his backup unless we trade him. We have a number of goalie prospects that could be pretty good backups in the NHL, trading Nitty while his value is high actually makes sense.

FlyersProspect2 is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 03:46 PM
  #11
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Burke is going to be boughtout and Nittymaki is going to be the backup. At least, that is the plan.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 04:51 PM
  #12
renberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Lewes Delaware
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Three years from now Nittymaki will be the starting goaltender and Esche will be out of town in a trade. Esche is good but not great while Nittymaki could be something very special. He has a better glove hand; stays healthy (not an insignificant thing with Esche) and makes big saves that can turn a series for the Flyers. Judge Nittymaki by what he did with the Flyers lsst season not by what he did with the Phantoms. He has shown marked improvement every year since he came over to play.

renberg is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 05:33 PM
  #13
Rex88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder19
Nah, Tellqvist sucks...and isn't Esche relatively young. So you'd rather have him(Niittymaki) warming the bench? Or have him waste away in the minors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Clarke has knocked on the Leafs door numerous times in the last number of years , asking for the likes of Antropov, and Kaberle, to name a few. And I'm sure he'd want Ponikarovsky. Anyways
The only time these two spoke of trades was with Lindros and yes those were the names mentioned. I really doubt these two teams would be in a hurry to make a deal.

Rex88 is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 10:52 PM
  #14
easton122
Registered User
 
easton122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
I don't agree with the stement he would never trade Nitty. I do believe that he would never trade Nitty to the Leafs though.
Say what you want but I believe Niittymaki was the main reason Clarke thought Ouellet was expendable. Since then Niittymaki has come from a decent prospect to a standout especially in Clarke's mind. I really think Clarke has Niittymaki pencilled in as the #1 in a few years and Esche slipping back into a backup role again unless Esche really breaks out. He's been good. Average #1 goaltender good but if he doesn't improve in the next few years he'll be traded or be a backup again.

easton122 is offline  
Old
10-03-2004, 08:23 AM
  #15
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,402
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
There is no way Clarke is going to trade Niittymaki.
There is no way Clarke is going to trade Niittymaki to the Leafs either.

GKJ is offline  
Old
10-03-2004, 12:09 PM
  #16
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
Say what you want but I believe Niittymaki was the main reason Clarke thought Ouellet was expendable. Since then Niittymaki has come from a decent prospect to a standout especially in Clarke's mind. I really think Clarke has Niittymaki pencilled in as the #1 in a few years and Esche slipping back into a backup role again unless Esche really breaks out. He's been good. Average #1 goaltender good but if he doesn't improve in the next few years he'll be traded or be a backup again.
Did you watch the world cup??

I am not going to put Esche up with the elite starting goalies, but I think he is much better than an average #1.

mikedifr is offline  
Old
10-03-2004, 12:59 PM
  #17
easton122
Registered User
 
easton122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Did you watch the world cup??

I am not going to put Esche up with the elite starting goalies, but I think he is much better than an average #1.
Since there are so many goalie I consider better than Esche I think he's only an average #1. Unless you think half the league consists of good goaltenders.

easton122 is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 01:10 PM
  #18
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Burke is easily tradeable considering half of his salary is getting eaten by Phoenix. Assuming we ever play, I would expect Burke to find himself somewhere else at some point, but i don't think we need to buy him out, someone will want him.

The jury is still out on Esche, but he looks like he's developing into a very strong #1. Is he ever going to be Brodeur? No. However, Esche's strength is his consistency. The guy isn't going to throw a ton of shutouts, but he's rarely going to let us fall out of a game completely. He was the last goalie to allow 4 goals(for the first time) last year, and that counts for something.

He was also VERY strong for team USA in the world cup... until he proves he doesn't belong, he deserves his spot in the organization.

That being said there are a number of goalies that you may consider over Esche, but he's working himself upwards in the discussion.

Jester is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.