HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Game #38 St. Louis Blues at Detroit Red Wings

Old
01-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
Why does everyone have to freak out and say the world is coming to an end because of a loss? We were bad and Detroit was good. It's not like we just got smashed by the islanders! Detroit is a great team and we are now .500 against them which is fine against a top 5 team in hockey.
The biggest problem is scoring, we make every goalie look like a vezina winner. I don't know the answer. They have poor shot selection. You are NOT going to score with wrist shots from the blue line too often. This team AGAIN has been destroyed by injuries, it's a freakin curse. We are getting some starters back and then others go down. They haven't played 1 game with the projected opening day roster. That's disgusting. If we can get Steen, Huskins and Mac attack back this is a completely different team. The Blues need all of their skilled players to have success. Blues have a bunch of 3-4 line depth players, but they have no minor league players who can step in and contribute a little offensively. When that happens, you need all of your skilled players on the ice for consistent offensive production. They need those three back and ten games to mesh and this becomes a dominant team. Everyone else will start gathering points and all of these silly, knee jerk trade proposals should stop(fingers crossed). So we can stop trying to give away our future. These are large players(Stewart/Berglund) who are only 23/24 and still need a few more years until they are in their primes. Our best players on offense and 25+(Oshie, Backes, Steen, Mac). We are missing that super elite player on our team, that can step in and succeed the minute they touch the ice. These are players who need a little more time to figure it out. They ARE doing great and these last few games aren't indicative of future success. They weren't going to play 12-3-4 or whatever hockey for the rest of the season. That's just not sustainable. They will be a playoff team with ease They just have to continue to compete and the goals will come. But for the love of god and can we get players to the middle of the ice. We have to stop playing along the boards!
Part of the problem here is our skill players tend to be injury prone. Sometimes luck is a factor in this, but Oshie, MacDonald, and Steen are all guys who have not had an injury free season in a while. We may need to ask ourselves what a solution to the injury problem may be. Still, I completely agree that everyone is freaking out prematurely.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
Part of the problem here is our skill players tend to be injury prone. Sometimes luck is a factor in this, but Oshie, MacDonald, and Steen are all guys who have not had an injury free season in a while. We may need to ask ourselves what a solution to the injury problem may be. Still, I completely agree that everyone is freaking out prematurely.
I agree that our "star" forwards are injured consistently, but I don't what the team can do to change our fortune. Maybe have an exorcism or maybe a ritualistic sacrifice, but something needs to change. I would like to see what this team is actually capable of with the opening day roster

Meatwagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:36 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
Maybe have an exorcism or maybe a ritualistic sacrifice
Louie?

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:32 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Howards is a good goalie. I'm finally convinced. I thought the Redwings were lowballing that position, but I was wrong.

That game was the difference between the Redwings playing the Blues as a threat team and playoff rival, and just playing another game. I think the RedWings viewed the Blues differently in the past. In fact, the whole league is viewing the Blues as an upper team now, and getting up for the games. (OK, maybe not all the teams in the East.)

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:30 PM
CaptainGiggles
Summer Can Distract

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
Close

Berglund
Schwartz
1st 2012

for

E. Staal or Getzlaf or Spezza or someone who can make a difference.

and if this still doesn't get us going well Stewart is next in line
You would have to pay more for Spezza, playing some of his best hockey right now.

CaptainGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieforever11 View Post
You would have to pay more for Spezza, playing some of his best hockey right now.
More? Jeez, I wouldn't even give that up for him, I don't think he'd make that much of a difference personally.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:03 AM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

Now that that first shock of such a terrible game is over I've developed a new thought.

Maybe it will be good that we got destroyed by a powerhouse team playing well. The Blues were on a roll and powered through good teams. This is the regular season and sometimes teams try very hard but don't give it everything they have got. For a team that hasn't really been in the playoffs for a long time it could be beneficial to have to deal with a terrible loss to a team that you always see in the playoffs. Its a long season and hopefully the blues take this as a character building loss and don't blame and injuries.

We say what this team could do when hitch first arrived and we know that this team still has a lot of untapped potential. We are almost to the midpoint of the season, we have a solid playoff spot, and a of home games coming up. If we see this team refocus with the realization that they are very beatable if they are not going on all cylinders we could see an even stronger team than before. A few years ago that crazy comeback win against Boston sparked a resolve in this team that they carried up to the playoffs. I think this game could have a similar effect. Sometimes you realize how good you can be and other times you realize how good you need to be.

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:47 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergMan View Post
Now that that first shock of such a terrible game is over I've developed a new thought.

Maybe it will be good that we got destroyed by a powerhouse team playing well. The Blues were on a roll and powered through good teams. This is the regular season and sometimes teams try very hard but don't give it everything they have got. For a team that hasn't really been in the playoffs for a long time it could be beneficial to have to deal with a terrible loss to a team that you always see in the playoffs. Its a long season and hopefully the blues take this as a character building loss and don't blame and injuries.

We say what this team could do when hitch first arrived and we know that this team still has a lot of untapped potential. We are almost to the midpoint of the season, we have a solid playoff spot, and a of home games coming up. If we see this team refocus with the realization that they are very beatable if they are not going on all cylinders we could see an even stronger team than before. A few years ago that crazy comeback win against Boston sparked a resolve in this team that they carried up to the playoffs. I think this game could have a similar effect. Sometimes you realize how good you can be and other times you realize how good you need to be.
I thought they just looked tired, physically and emotionally. You could tell it in Backes' skating stride.

If they don't win a chunk of the games this month when so many are at home, the Blues will start sweating out their playoff chances. It looks like the team is starting to get healthy again, so hopefully they can put it together for another nice run of points.

The all-star break will be valuable for the team to get rested and set for the final playoff push.

I disagree that the team has a comfortable playoff spot. They're really just one 5 game losing streak from being out of the top 8. The Central has 4 teams currently in the top 7 of the West. The Blues have a higher concentration of tough games than most teams in the league.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Fred Murtz

I know it's a week later but if anyone missed these videos.

Ian Cole hit on Justin Abdelkader

Johan Franzen goal

Justin Abdelkader goal

B.J. Crombeen vs Mike Commodore fight

Jiri Hudler goal

Barett Jackman post game interview

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote