HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dissing Capt Cally

Old
01-02-2012, 08:25 PM
The Beezer

vCash: 500
Dissing Capt Cally

Is it just my imagination, or do the refs in the NHL show Cally absolutely no respect for the C on his Jersey? It seems like he's been put in the box an awful lot this year. That call this afternoon is a perfect example. Didn't he even pick up a 10 minute misconduct the other night for some BS reason? I just find the whole situation very fustrating. Has anyone else noticed this?

The Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
He takes stupid penalties.. He deserved his penalty before too.

01-02-2012, 08:27 PM
broadwayblue

Yeah, about that call on him at the end. Let's say he did hold the stick...if the Flyer penalty happens first shouldn't a goal be awarded by definition?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, about that call on him at the end. Let's say he did hold the stick...if the Flyer penalty happens first shouldn't a goal be awarded by definition?
I don't think so. Since he took a penalty, it should be a wash. If he didn't hold the stick, it should have been awarded.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Nyrvana

The call today was bs, if a stick was coming at my neck, I would hold it too.

I don't think there's a major bias against Callahan. He's a first year captain, and most of the time he is arguing against calls the refs just made. Do you really expect the refs to be like of you're right Ryan, I'll change my call.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:32 PM
OverTheCap

Although that call today wasn't good, I don't think it has anything to do with lack of respect for Callahan as a captain. Brenden Morrow leads the league in minors, do the refs not respect him as a captain? Backes is up there as well.

Some players, captain or not, take more penalties than other due to their style of play. Cally screens the goalie a lot so he's been called for GI calls this season. I also think he has been less disciplined this year than he has in past seasons.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:33 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
not if Cally wasn't "in the clear" in the ref's eyes. ask Fraser on TSN's ref column.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
The rule is automatic goal when its an empty net.

The play was close. He could have broken free and clear on the empty net.

It was a stupid call. I don't think he held the stick as much as react to a stick blade being at his chest/throat area.

Referee discretion, and therein lies the problem. Its common sense a player with a chance to put the game out of reach with an empty net is not going to dive.

The least amount of ref discretion there is, the better. These new refs are dumb as ****. Too many inexperienced refs in this league now. With too many rules about tippy tappy weak plays.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
This actually made me think. Most guys with letters tend to get a lot if leeway. It's almost the opposite with Cally this year

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

I get the feeling the ref didn't want to all but end the game on an awarded goal in the Winter Classic, which is what he would have had to do if he only called the hook.

I also think he realize there was absolutely no way he couldn't call the Flyer player, so when Callahan put his hand up on the stick it gave him a way out to do both. He could call the hook and by calling Callahan too, not have to award the goal.

This is just one of the reasons I suggest to you that the refs were trying to HBO 24/7 directors rather than hockey officials in the final few minutes.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
He runs the goalie a lot and he's an accomplished diver. That's the extent of the issue.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:20 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I don't think so. Since he took a penalty, it should be a wash. If he didn't hold the stick, it should have been awarded.
Why should it be a wash? He didn't reach behind him, he started holding it after it appeared over his shoulder.

The initial point of the stick hold should've happened during or after the whistle blowing the play dead in favor of the goal...

A player closes his hand on the puck or grabs another player's stick after a whistle all the time. Just the same, none of that counts as a penalty.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Why should it be a wash? He didn't reach behind him, he started holding it after it appeared over his shoulder.

The initial point of the stick hold should've happened during or after the whistle blowing the play dead in favor of the goal...

A player closes his hand on the puck or grabs another player's stick after a whistle all the time. Just the same, none of that counts as a penalty.
But the whistle wouldn't have been blown until a Flyer touched touched the puck. For example, let's say on a delayed penalty, a player of the attacking team takes a penalty. It would be a 4 on 4 because it's pretty much a wash. Just because one happened first shouldn't mean teams are free to do whatever they want. I'm not stating the rules, though. This is just how I think it should be if it isn't already.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:26 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Cally plays hard and takes penalties.

You think a ref sees a 'C' and doesn't call a guy for a penalty

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:29 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
But the whistle wouldn't have been blown until a Flyer touched touched the puck. For example, let's say on a delayed penalty, a player of the attacking team takes a penalty. It would be a 4 on 4 because it's pretty much a wash. Just because one happened first shouldn't mean teams are free to do whatever they want. I'm not stating the rules, though. This is just how I think it should be if it isn't already.
Why? Play blows dead. Goal.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
He runs the goalie a lot and he's an accomplished diver. That's the extent of the issue.
WHAT?

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:19 PM
beastly115

Quote:
He takes stupid penalties.. He deserved his penalty before too.
I never saw what he did to get that 10 game misconduct, what exactly happened?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Clearly exposed as having head planted firmly up ass.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:46 PM
EEDAWGZ

Cally a diver?

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
I never saw what he did to get that 10 game misconduct, what exactly happened?
That was a ghost call. Both he and a NJ player got one. Very, very strange.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Go crawl back in your hole

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Go crawl back in your hole
yeah, I really didn't anticipate that comment going over well, but I felt it needed to be said. I'm a huge fan of Callahan's game, but IMO he's a big-league diver. He could be a Penguin.

I don't have a big video list, or any statistical evidence, it's just my opinion of watching him the past 6 seasons. I think he's the top diver the Rangers have had during that time. I don't expect everyone to rally around me in support, just stating my opinion.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
yeah, I really didn't anticipate that comment going over well, but I felt it needed to be said. I'm a huge fan of Callahan's game, but IMO he's a big-league diver. He could be a Penguin.

I don't have a big video list, or any statistical evidence, it's just my opinion of watching him the past 6 seasons. I think he's the top diver the Rangers have had during that time. I don't expect everyone to rally around me in support, just stating my opinion.
Well, you know what they say about opinions....everyone has one.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:38 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:

We must be watching different games

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:

Well you knew you were gonna get flamed and said it anyway, props for that, but still, it's the hole for you

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote