HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halfway Point - who is our MVP?

Old
01-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 139
I think Ryan Kesler is our mvp right now, coming back from hip surgery and miss the entire trainning camp and yet able to perform at top level. Chris Higgins is another example of a hard-working player, so he gets a honourable mention, and so is Alexender Edler.

Ballard on the other hand disappoints me, he really did not earn his paycheck at all, despite being better than Rome, but that should be expected.

Last edited by Vancouver_2010: 01-01-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Bieksa, Yes I said bieksa.

shoot me now
Yeah, I'm going off the board with Kevin Bieksa. He's easily been the single catalyst for the turn around of the team this year and since has been our best defender in my opinion.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Scurr

Corey Schneider. The team was playing like crap when Luongo went down, the wheels could have easily come off at that point. Instead, Schneids played great hockey that allowed the team to start feeling good about their game instead of having every mistake end up in the back of the net.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

vCash: 814
Edler. 4th in the league in points by a defenceman, playing 23+ minutes a game and keeping our back end together.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:57 PM
serge2k

Henrik probably.

Kesler and Daniel have improved a ton, but were not even close to good enough early.

No single dman is important enough.

Schneider hasn't played enough and Luongo has been crap for 2/3 of the season so far.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:59 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
I think Ryan Kesler is our mvp right now, coming back from hip surgery and miss the entire trainning camp and yet able to perform at top level. Chris Higgins is another example of a hard-working player, so he gets a honourable mention, and so is Alexender Edler.

Ballard on the other hand disappoints me, he really did not earn his paycheck at all, despite being better than Rome, but that should be expected.
What dman in the league is capable of earning a 4.2 million dollar salary while playing with a mix of Rome, Alberts, and callups and getting bottom pairing minutes. Oh, and they have to play on the wrong side too.

Ballard had his first minus game since Nov 11 last night. He's been fine.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
What dman in the league is capable of earning a 4.2 million dollar salary while playing with a mix of Rome, Alberts, and callups and getting bottom pairing minutes. Oh, and they have to play on the wrong side too.

Ballard had his first minus game since Nov 11 last night. He's been fine.
I don't know, he might be playing fine but if he cannot beat our top 4 then he becomes very expandable, trading him now can allow us to trade for Praise at the deadline.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
I think at the end of the year people will be talking about Luongo as the MVP. I have not seen him play this well in years.

I'll admit, I lost confidence in him, but it's so good to see him back playing well again.
Last year he had a great season, .928 and a Jennings Trophy and Vezina nomination. He`s playing about the same now I would say, although he turned it around a little bit later.

Youreallygotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:20 AM
David71

chris higgins.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:22 AM
flack

Aaron Rome if he wasn't injured.

flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:33 AM
RunYouOutOfTheRink
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Lots of guys starting to have good years. I'm most impressed by the role players - Hansen, Higgins, Lapierre, but mostly Hodgson - great playmaking addition to 2nd PP unit and overall play. Bieksa is on a mission of late.

Hank probably gets the nod from me - he controls the puck more than any other Canuck.

RunYouOutOfTheRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:12 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

In a way, Sturm and Samuelsson turned out to be the most "valuable".

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:14 AM
Amused To Death

Forwards: Hank, Dank

Defense: Salo, Hamhuis

They were there when the team sucked in October, and they're still playing great now. Early on in the season it would be hard to argue that these four were our most crucial players still playing at a solid enough level for the team to stagger out of October somewhat unscathed.

Henrik deserves it, but those four, plus Higgins as the honourable mention, should claim it.

Amused To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:22 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Henrik probably.

Kesler and Daniel have improved a ton, but were not even close to good enough early.

No single dman is important enough.
Agree. One of the best ways to judge MVP is which player would you like to lose least. We could cope for awhile with out any one but Henrik

Quote:
Schneider hasn't played enough and Luongo has been crap for 2/3 of the season so far.
1/3 maybe but certainly not mvp material.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:36 AM
turkulad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
I don't know, he might be playing fine but if he cannot beat our top 4 then he becomes very expandable, trading him now can allow us to trade for Praise at the deadline.
I'm thinking that is unreasonable. Beating our top4 means being better than Bieksa - who's on beast mode, Salo - who is still as solid as they come when in playing shape, Hamhuis - who's getting a lot of praise, and Edler, who is, well, he's Edler. I'm thinking that he's overpaid for sure considering his role, but Salo is getting older and is injury prone.. hypothetically, we can't tell whether he's a top4 guy or not until he's given top4 minutes, and that doesn't happen before one of our big 4 get sidelined.

He is playing on the third pair, has experienced a lot of rotation as far as linemates go, he's playing on the wrong side, he hasn't been a minus for a long, long time... if this guy is a scapegoat for our team, we are doing juuuust fine.

Oh and talking about MVP's.. has to be the bros. Again this year, no one on the main boards had them in their top 10 scoring predictions. Again this year, they've been dominating. Us fans just knew this was gonna happen again. Unsung hero: Hansen. Dude's a beast.

turkulad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:30 AM
The Big Foot

Says alot that Henrik is leading the league in scoring, coming off a player of the month award, and it's nothing out of the ordinary. People just expect Art Rosses now I guess.

The twins are dominant world class players and they've been consistent all year. I'd say Henrik should be in the running for the Hart, not just our team MVP.

Unsung hero should go to Sami Salo. This could be his best season. And he's doing it at such a team friendly cap hit - such a discount.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkulad View Post
I'm thinking that is unreasonable. Beating our top4 means being better than Bieksa - who's on beast mode, Salo - who is still as solid as they come when in playing shape, Hamhuis - who's getting a lot of praise, and Edler, who is, well, he's Edler. I'm thinking that he's overpaid for sure considering his role, but Salo is getting older and is injury prone.. hypothetically, we can't tell whether he's a top4 guy or not until he's given top4 minutes, and that doesn't happen before one of our big 4 get sidelined.

He is playing on the third pair, has experienced a lot of rotation as far as linemates go, he's playing on the wrong side, he hasn't been a minus for a long, long time... if this guy is a scapegoat for our team, we are doing juuuust fine.

IMO, Ballard's body of work prior to coming to the nux suggests that he's a top4 dman. The fact that he isn't one here has more to do with the depth chart and his role, which you alluded to, than it does his ability. Ability-wise, he's top4. That was never a question in my mind. Fit and role have been the issues.

I don't see a marked difference in Ballard playing on his "wrong-side". With the way he's playing in the last 15-20 games, it does not seem a detriment to him much at all. He just needs to keep doing what he's doing and that 4.2m won't matter one bit.

MVP = Henrik. He's been very consistent over the year. I would be very impressed if he took home the Art Ross again.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:22 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:

Oh and talking about MVP's.. has to be the bros. Again this year, no one on the main boards had them in their top 10 scoring predictions. Again this year, they've been dominating. Us fans just knew this was gonna happen again. Unsung hero: Hansen. Dude's a beast.

Lol? Are you just giving in for your inner Finn and can't resist a jab at a Swede or what? Elder is not even at the top 50 D-men salary wise and is well recorded top 15 when it comes to stats.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:28 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youreallygotme View Post
Last year he had a great season, .928 and a Jennings Trophy and Vezina nomination. He`s playing about the same now I would say, although he turned it around a little bit later.
He is noticeably better this year, during this stretch, to me, than he was at any point last year.

John Bender* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:03 PM
turkulad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Lol? Are you just giving in for your inner Finn and can't resist a jab at a Swede or what? Elder is not even at the top 50 D-men salary wise and is well recorded top 15 when it comes to stats.
Haha.. the overpaid part applied to Ballard who I was discussing and Edler "being Edler" means he's awesome since, well, he's Edler and Edler's great.

Old
01-02-2012, 02:54 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Haha.. the overpaid part applied to Ballard who I was discussing and Edler "being Edler" means he's awesome since, well, he's Edler and Edler's great.
Ok, ok, I believe you this time but if you lie again well then... j/k

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:53 PM
turkulad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Ok, ok, I believe you this time but if you lie again well then... j/k
Picture me trying to defend my team to my Finnish friends with the Sedins in the line-up.. it's a hard knock life. When Salo retires, though, I'll be pretty sad and should be resorting to knee-jerk hatred towards underachieving swedes at any given moment.. that already happened with Sundin.. hated his guts.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:00 AM
DanrikCarter

I say Henrik.
HM: Daniel, Higgins, Hansen, Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa

DanrikCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:49 AM
JAK

I'm going to go off the board here and say we hand the MVP to FIN.

He shows up at every home game, some times even at away games.

He never takes a shift off, heck, from hours pre-game to the very end of the night, he's there working hard, when players have breaks in intermission, FIN stays on the ice to entertain fans.

And to be totally brutally honest, there just isn't an MVP so far this year, twins just do their thing, everyone is steady and play near the best they can be. Some players could use another step up, but there just isn't one guy who puts the team on his back like Kesler did against Nashville.

So why not spice it up at the end of the year and hand that trophy to FIN. Although if Salo is retiring, he deserves that unsung hero, he could have easily retired to injuries or left town many years ago for a bigger paycheck, he stayed, he battled, and he is having *knocks on wood* his healthiest season yet.

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:43 AM
rye&ginger

Hank.

Unsung: Hansen

Best Dman: Hamhuis

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote