HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

What should the punishment be?????

Old
01-01-2012, 07:26 PM
steveat

vCash: 500
...I believe Niederreiter also made racial slurs to Kadri

It's probably a Swiss thing (snobby attitude) who knows but Kadri refused to shake his hand after a tournament game. Kadri wouldn't mention what was said, but he felt bad that he stooped down to his level and refused to shake niederreiter's hand.

anyway, what happens on the ice should stay on the ice. I guess the only thing the linesman should have done was to give him an unsportsmanlike penalty (That would be the end of it) instead of being a baby and reporting it.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:27 PM
KH1

The punishment should be one of Montreal's players slamming him through the boards the next time he has the puck.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:42 PM
cjdv16

No suspension.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I think it would be a positive thing to never hear the "N" word again, but if we did that, we'd have to outlaw rap music.
So wheres the problem?

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:25 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
2-game suspension. The NHL can't have this type of behavior. I don't care if something's "in the moment" or not. This reflects very poorly on the NHL (if they choose not to respond to it)-a league that quite frankly doesn't have much going for it against the other 3 major professional sports leagues. Player conduct usually be significantly better among hockey players is one of the few things it has over the others.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

He should have to be traded to the Isles!

I mean, who wants to play here?!

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Symon Asher

After watching the way the refs and linesmen have refereed the Isles games I would have to hear the audio in order to believe the linesman. Barch got a game misconduct, that's enough punishment.

Symon Asher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Dineen: He deserved it.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:14 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Generally not a fan of policing words, but the NHL is well within its rights to punish Barch, an employee of the league, as they see fit. They're a private institution and they have to protect their image and I'm guessing they will come down hard on him.

Interesting situation we have here though. You literally have something that's socially acceptable for some and socially unacceptable for others. What would the NHL do if Wayne Simmonds said this to PK Subban? Please don't misunderstand, not defending Barch, just pointing out the absurdity of the 'rule' (if you can call it that) that is arbitrarily applied.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:25 AM
Ziggy16

hes not even talking to shanny.. he has a conference call with colon clueless about this today..

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:48 AM
GilliesGirlie

I don't think he should be suspended, I don't even think he should be fined although I can understand the league slapping him with a fine.
I can only imagine the **** that gets said during scrubs none of it pleasant or kind is the league going to start giving out penalties just for words? Its a fine line and one that could get out of hand...
It's a tough call no doubt buti don't think it should warrant a suspension.

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:55 AM
GilliesGirlie

Well, when he called the penalty I would assume he has to explain the penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
...I believe Niederreiter also made racial slurs to Kadri

It's probably a Swiss thing (snobby attitude) who knows but Kadri refused to shake his hand after a tournament game. Kadri wouldn't mention what was said, but he felt bad that he stooped down to his level and refused to shake niederreiter's hand.

anyway, what happens on the ice should stay on the ice. I guess the only thing the linesman should have done was to give him an unsportsmanlike penalty (That would be the end of it) instead of being a baby and reporting it.

Old
01-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Bones45

This whole thing is dumb.

First off.. the article doesnt even indicate what was said.. if anything.

How could we say what his punishment should be?

Secondly.. why are the officials the only one reporting this? Where is it written that THEY impose penalties on what is being SAID on the ice? I think they should be considered with the RULEBOOK and making consistent calls, and not being involved in the dumb **** which is said from player to player.

Put mics on all the players for one game, Im sure you will hear stuff which is far worse than what was supposed said. Just because its that word, now the league is getting involved? Gimme a break.

BELLOWS YOU *****!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbu9bjb44NE

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
The article makes it a very easy decision for me...Nothing should be done. Move along.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
A Monetary fine and that is it... In the heat of the moment words get said, Hockey is not Soccer where racist remarks are common throughout the games and attacks occur.

We dont need Al Sharpton here

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:11 AM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
A Monetary fine and that is it... In the heat of the moment words get said, Hockey is not Soccer where racist remarks are common throughout the games and attacks occur.

We dont need Al Sharpton here
Oh, thank God! Anything but that.

I basically agree with most of what's been said. If any penalty, it should only be a fine. But like others said, this discussion should have never happened. Apparently Subban didn't even hear the comments!

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

I haven't made my mind up one way or another, but I want to phrase this question.

What if YOU went to your co-worker and called him the N word? What would your boss do or say? How do you think Human Resources would react?

The NHL is Human Resources and PK is a co-worker.

Your thoughts?

01-02-2012, 02:24 PM
GilliesGirlie

I don't think you can draw a fair comparison because when I go to work fights don't break out or any of the other things that go On during a hockey game.
Should it have been said? No but neither should 95% of what is said during a game. It's the nature of a competitive sport peopleare going to trash talk and they can't start giving out penalties for what is said, it would a constant stream of penalties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I haven't made my mind up one way or another, but I want to phrase this question.

What if YOU went to your co-worker and called him the N word? What would your boss do or say? How do you think Human Resources would react?

Your thoughts?

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:56 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:

Your thoughts?
Am I black or white?

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliesGirlie View Post
I don't think you can draw a fair comparison because when I go to work fights don't break out or any of the other things that go On during a hockey game.
Should it have been said? No but neither should 95% of what is said during a game. It's the nature of a competitive sport peopleare going to trash talk and they can't start giving out penalties for what is said, it would a constant stream of penalties.

You do have a point on fights not breaking out. Their is trashing talking and then stuff beyond trash talking like the N word. That in my opinion takes it to far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Am I black or white?
Does it matter? It should be offensive both ways. Black saying it to black, white saying it to black.

I cannot decide what the punishment should be. But if Wiz got 2 games for signaling a obscene sex act, then where does calling a black person the N word fall?

If nothing else the league needs to show that using that kind of language on the ice will not be tolerated.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:30 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
You do have a point on fights not breaking out. Their is trashing talking and then stuff beyond trash talking like the N word. That in my opinion takes it to far.

Does it matter? It should be offensive both ways. Black saying it to black, white saying it to black.

No, it shouldn't matter, but I was making a point. In our politically correct society, white's cannot use the word, blacks can. It's unfortunate, but if a white person used it and they were called in to HR, and a black person used it and they were called in to HR, they would most definetely be treated differently.
It seems the folks that find racism around every corner, are the same people that have created different standards, depending on race. Those folks don't like to hold blacks to the same standards as whites. It's a sad state of affairs, but it's just the way it is.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Bones45

Quote:

I cannot decide what the punishment should be. But if Wiz got 2 games for signaling a obscene sex act, then where does calling a black person the N word fall?

If nothing else the league needs to show that using that kind of language on the ice will not be tolerated.
Of course it matters. Apparently, its only offensive under certain conditions.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:35 AM
the sweetener

anyone remember what chris simon's punishment was when he used a racial slur against mike grier? i dont recall but it should probably be that just for the sake of consistency.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Apparently it wasn't as 'obvious' as some thought.

Quote:
Greg Wyshynski @wyshynski

As we said on #MvsW show -- every indication that Barch said like "did you slip on a banana peel?" to PK after fall. That's the "slur"

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:24 AM
the sweetener

seriously that was a slur? i had assumed he used the n-bomb.

thats no more racist then using the expression 1 foot in the grave 1 on a banana peel.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote