HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OK Let's say we are sellers..... WHO DO YOU SELL?

View Poll Results: Which players do you trade this year if you are GM?
Travis Moen 221 59.41%
Hal Gill 309 83.06%
Andrei Kostystsyn 144 38.71%
Josh Gorges 14 3.76%
PK Subban 19 5.11%
Mike Cammeleri 252 67.74%
Yanick Webber 232 62.37%
Carey Price 12 3.23%
Brian Gionta 186 50.00%
Lars Eller 13 3.49%
Tomas Plekanec 48 12.90%
Max Paccioretti 12 3.23%
Chris Campoli 321 86.29%
Louis Leblanc 11 2.96%
Tomas Kaberle 197 52.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Top Corner2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
The point many guys here are trying to make is: Don't let decent UFA players walk for nothing, Like we have for the last 6 years.

Ask Moen to sign, now. If he does not, trade his ass for a 2nd round pick. Ask AK to sign now too, same thing. Don't lose the guy for nothing.

Gill, Moen, AK, Campoli, and any other FA are at least worth picks, low or high. Picks are very very important in the Cap NHL.

Get the picks if:

1. We make them an offer and the UFA does not agree.
2. We don't want them next year anyway.

It's not tough to get. We're sellers this year, finally, without doubt. Problem in years past is we've been crap, but 8th or 9th at the deadline. Not this year guys.

Offer and sell. They just did it with Gorges. If Gorges had said no, I think they would have traded him at deadline. Let's hope they keep this up. The Gorges signing shows we're thinking of being sellers. Thank god.
AMEN HALLELUJAH!

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Habs should be sellers but they don't have to much to sell...

Has to be traded
Gill : I'm pretty sure that he isn't coming back next year anyway. He could fetch a decent return. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd and a low tier prospect.

Campoli : Everyone thinks he's bad, I'm one of these person. However, the Hawks traded a 2nd to get him at the deadline last year. I don't think his value will be that high this year, however we might be able to get a 4th or a 5th for him. Better than nothing!

Gomez : Well... Habs will have to find a way to get rid of him before next season anyway. However, I believe they will adress the issue this summer.

Depends on the return

Darche, Nokkelainen : I think it's 50/50 whether these guys are back next year. A decent return for them would be a 4th or 5th. If we can't get this kind of return, I'd rather keep Darche and Petteri then trading them for an AHL filler.

Cammy : I don't see him as a good fit for the Habs anymore. It's hard to evaluate his value. I'm not against trading him but it's not urgent. I'd rather trade him when his value will be higher (maybe next year?)

Weber : I know he isn't playing much but I don't want to give him away for free. I'd ask for a 3rd (at least)

Moen : I'd like to keep him for another year or two, since our bottom 6 might be very young next year. However, if a team offers more than a 2nd pick for him, I'd be tempted to trade Moen. We can always replace him to summer with a UFA.

------
The rest are either "untouchables" or pointless to include in a trade since their value to the Habs is higher then their trading value.

Hopefully, PG doesn't trade picks and prospects because he wants to climb in the standings in an attempt to save his job.
I agree with 90% of what you said. The only exception is Weber's value.

I think young d-men with skill like he has and still in development are guys that rebuilding(NYI Columbus Edmonton St.Louis) would love to have playing #5-6 minutes as he has upside(40-50 point potential in a couple years) and a cheap contract and still under control for 4-5 years.

I think the Habs could get a 2nd for Weber in a heartbeat. I would be patient with him and try and move Gill, Campoli and Kaberle first. If he can be incuded in a trade to get a guy with frontline potential then do it...or maybe at the draft to move up from the 2nd to the 1st round if there is a player we want/need.

To trade him just to trade him at this point would be very dumb IMHO.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
As much as it would pain me to trade him away, he's not going to be able to help us to win a cup. He's never going to be better than he is now and he's turning 30 this year.

The fact that trading him away will hurt us short term shouldn't stop us from doing what needed to be done long ago. What's happening right now was predictable a long time ago. If we'd rebuilt properly way back when then Pleks could be playing a key role on a strong team. That didn't happen. We wasted our time and spun our wheels with quick fixes and now we have yet another bubble team.

Pleks SHOULD be dealt because he's older, can help other teams win now and will garner the best return. He should NOT be dumped for nothing. Teams will pay for this guy as he'd be a great asset for a team making a cup (or playoff) run. If it's another bubble team that wants him... fine. If it's a contender... great. Just make sure we get a good return.

If we don't do this now, then in five years we'll be asking the same questions about a 30 year old Carey Price and what we should do with him to fix our bubble team. Let's not repeat the same mistakes over and over. We're not going anywhere with Pleks. That's not his fault, it's ours. So let's maximize his value and correct the mistake we've made in the past of going down the quick fix route. Enough is enough, it's time to actually build a team capable of winning something.

Right because as everyone knows, Plekanec = Malkin.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

Why? He's not going to win anything on this team this year or next. He's in his prime and the window on him winning anything with us is probably already past. There's no reason not to deal this guy. It doesn't have to be Evegeni Malkin coming back the other way dude.

Pleks and esp Cole don't belong on this list at all. And while I'm not in favour of trading away youth, a lot of those guys aren't untouchable by any stretch.
So just because you're not winning RIGHT NOW you dump all your veterans and turn into Edmonton or Columbus?

What a freaking ridiculous post.

Plekanec is 29, how the hell is the window on him winning anything with us past? He still has 4-5 prime years.

The reason I had him and Cole on the no touch list is they have good contracts, they are outproducing their contracts and should still be productive for 3-5 years and they are quality vets. Obviously if you get a ridiculous offer you consider it, but to trade them just because the team is struggling is moronic.

The best thing for the franchise is to do like Philadelphia, have one crappy year, get a high pick and bounce back next year after adding a couple of quality vets by UFA.

Old
01-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
The point many guys here are trying to make is: Don't let decent UFA players walk for nothing, Like we have for the last 6 years.

Ask Moen to sign, now. If he does not, trade his ass for a 2nd round pick. Ask AK to sign now too, same thing. Don't lose the guy for nothing.

Gill, Moen, AK, Campoli, and any other FA are at least worth picks, low or high. Picks are very very important in the Cap NHL.

Get the picks if:

1. We make them an offer and the UFA does not agree.
2. We don't want them next year anyway.

It's not tough to get. We're sellers this year, finally, without doubt. Problem in years past is we've been crap, but 8th or 9th at the deadline. Not this year guys.

Offer and sell. They just did it with Gorges. If Gorges had said no, I think they would have traded him at deadline. Let's hope they keep this up. The Gorges signing shows we're thinking of being sellers. Thank god.
Definitely need to be agressive with the UFA's either sign or get traded. I would hope they are having ongoing talks with Price and Subban's camp also.

Old
01-02-2012, 09:02 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I think these answers are pretty obvious. Gomez is missing for sure but not sure if he could be sold or maybe with a little luck bought out under a new CBA. And as much as I hate to say this, if the team was to rebuild I would consider trading Markov. I am a huge fan but if he comes back after the All Star game and plays well, puts up some points etc. I would think the team would have to consider moving him at the deadline if a worthy offer from a contender came along. If he shows he is healthy and can still produce like before, one would have to think he could draw attention and possibly net some nice assets.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post

I like Kostitsyn but he's a guy I would look at moving. You can probably replace him on the UFA market at a cost of an marginal $750k or so more than what Kostisyn would probably re-sign for.
I go back and forth on this one. I'm no AK fan but once you accept him for what he is he's not terrible value at his current contract.

Looking ahead to the UFA market, really there are not alot of players that would come in at roughly his contract that i would take over him....Tuomo Ruutu for sure but he might come in at $1 million + more. Not alot of other guys that i see out there that would be good replacements.

At the end of the day i guess alot of it would come down to what the Habs could get in return for AK. If we could get a 2nd + good young player then i'd do it, but personally i can't see there being a huge market for him out there.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:06 AM
BLONG7

Sell Cammy at the deadline, he is not worth his 6.0M, at least AK is doing things for the team when not scoring, keep him...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:04 AM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Definitely need to be agressive with the UFA's either sign or get traded. I would hope they are having ongoing talks with Price and Subban's camp also.
I agree...they need to make decision now...unlike the last 6 years, UFA that aren't staying need to get traded for picks at the trade deadline...the ones that are staying, needs to get signed now not in the summer when their price go up and their options go up...certains over priced and underperforming vets need to to be traded for picks or prospects...

The Goalie Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Campoli, Gill and Gionta for me.

I'd keep Cam, he can rebound for sure.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:19 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

I'd keep Moen and re-sign him. We have no one of his calibre for $1.5M.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I go back and forth on this one. I'm no AK fan but once you accept him for what he is he's not terrible value at his current contract.

Looking ahead to the UFA market, really there are not alot of players that would come in at roughly his contract that i would take over him....Tuomo Ruutu for sure but he might come in at $1 million + more. Not alot of other guys that i see out there that would be good replacements.

At the end of the day i guess alot of it would come down to what the Habs could get in return for AK. If we could get a 2nd + good young player then i'd do it, but personally i can't see there being a huge market for him out there.
Penner (though his increasingly less recent form has me a bit worried, could make him a short-term deal bargain though) and Hemsky (though injury issues because of Edmonton's abysmal ice surface and training staff rushing players before they're healthy, certainly more expensive) are a couple of guys that come to mind. Ruutu is definitely up at the top of the list though I personally prefer Kostitsyn because I'm more familiar with him and like you said, he probably comes cheaper.

Like you said, as with everything it depends on the return you get. For the pending free agents who may have a future with the team through a contract extension (Moen, Kostitsyn) it's worth taking the chance and holding out for more. Both players are shooting significantly higher than their career rates though which could drive up the trade demand and/or contract expectations or other teams' contract offers.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Dharvey33

Cammalleri for a 1st round plus good prospect

Gionta for 1st

Gill for 2nd or 3rd

Moen for 12 playboys

Gomez for 2 bag of potatoes

I'd listen to offers for Plekanec as well i think he don't want to play for the habs anymore. Eller and Desharnais could replace him and grow for about a year or two add a player like Grigorenko and We would have 3 young good centers.

If we could have 3 first rounds pick and 2-3 prospects close to nhl ready while not losing one of Subban Eller patches Price i would be very happy.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Penner (though his increasingly less recent form has me a bit worried, could make him a short-term deal bargain though) and Hemsky (though injury issues because of Edmonton's abysmal ice surface and training staff rushing players before they're healthy, certainly more expensive) are a couple of guys that come to mind. Ruutu is definitely up at the top of the list though I personally prefer Kostitsyn because I'm more familiar with him and like you said, he probably comes cheaper.

Like you said, as with everything it depends on the return you get. For the pending free agents who may have a future with the team through a contract extension (Moen, Kostitsyn) it's worth taking the chance and holding out for more. Both players are shooting significantly higher than their career rates though which could drive up the trade demand and/or contract expectations or other teams' contract offers.
Edmonton has the best ice in the NHL, not sure where you get that their ice is abysmal?

Old
01-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Roke

Quote:
Edmonton has the best ice in the NHL, not sure where you get that their ice is abysmal?
I read some Oilers blogs because a friend writes for one and their analysis is interesting. The ice plant hasn't been upgraded in a long time (and won't be with the taxpayer arena being built) so the ice quality in Edmonton has dipped from what it was in the 90s. Or at least that's what I've been led to believe.

Old
01-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
I AM NOT SELLING till Gauthier and Gainey are in charge of this team. Never. Ever. They have done enough. Actually I sell Gauthier and Gainey.

If I'm GM, I sell Gionta. And look what's out there for Cammy. I sell AKost 'cause I don't believe he wants to comeback. If he wants to comeback, I keep him. I sell whoever I know does not want to comeback. You can't sell Gomez. No need to talk about it. Who needs to talk about a Campoli selling or a Kaberle selling? Unless we wish Gauthier finds another job elsewhere and pick those guys up, nobody is stupid enough to do especially in the Kaberle case.

And I sell Weber in a O'Byrne for Bournival type of trade. Time to stop messing with the kid and give him a real chance.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-02-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:40 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I AM NOT SELLING till Gauthier and Gainey are in charge of this team. Never. Ever. They have done enough. Actually I see Gauthier and Gainey.
If Gauthier and Gainey aren't in charge, who is?

Old
01-02-2012, 11:43 AM
odishabs

To Colorado: Cammalleri and Desharnais (2nd round pick)
To Montreal: Stastny and Jones

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Jones
LeBlanc - Stastny - Cole
Gionta - Eller - Kostitsyn
Moen - Nokelainen - White

odishabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I AM NOT SELLING till Gauthier and Gainey are in charge of this team. Never. Ever. They have done enough. Actually I sell Gauthier and Gainey.
When Gauthier doesn't stupidly panic (S. Kostitsyn, Kaberle) his trades have actually been pretty good (Halak for Eller, Trading for Wiz was a great move). What Montreal needs is for Molson to recognize the season is done, instruct Gauthier to sell expiring assets, and attempt a Philly-style retool with most of the team intact and a couple of additions. Ideally the summer retooling would come under new, hopefully experienced and competent, management though.

Mind you, I'm optimistic about the core of the team (including Cammalleri away from the matchups Plekanec takes and Gionta). Like I said earlier, a top-4 defenseman, a quality, defensive 3rd-line centre to take the load off Plekanec and to a degree Eller, and the team should be very good next season unless they have the worst injury situation in the league again.

Old
01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
To Colorado: Cammalleri and Desharnais (2nd round pick)
To Montreal: Stastny and Jones

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Jones
LeBlanc - Stastny - Cole
Gionta - Eller - Kostitsyn
Moen - Nokelainen - White
Why would Colorado do this?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:55 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
Pick & Explain why?
for me complete turnover if I can pull it off

the key is not to take back very long term contracts

the key is the picks coming backk

Cammy- should get us #1 and a serviceable player from a contender
good fit with the caps

Moen - should gte us at least a third pick

Kosty- get what you can cause the dude is done with us

Gill - should get us a third from a good team

Gio- same return as Cammy , good fit with the Rangers or Pheonix

Pleks ...deal would have to be make sense or no deal here , not a salary dump in my opinion

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:55 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Because we hand delivered 2 cups to them. Otherwise, there is no reason to do this.

Old
01-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
When Gauthier doesn't stupidly panic (S. Kostitsyn, Kaberle) his trades have actually been pretty good (Halak for Eller, Trading for Wiz was a great move). What Montreal needs is for Molson to recognize the season is done, instruct Gauthier to sell expiring assets, and attempt a Philly-style retool with most of the team intact and a couple of additions. Ideally the summer retooling would come under new, hopefully experienced and competent, management though.

Mind you, I'm optimistic about the core of the team (including Cammalleri away from the matchups Plekanec takes and Gionta). Like I said earlier, a top-4 defenseman, a quality, defensive 3rd-line centre to take the load off Plekanec and to a degree Eller, and the team should be very good next season unless they have the worst injury situation in the league again.
How was SK a panic move? He wore out his welcome and his contract was up, no way he was re-signing here and everybody in the NHL knew he had baggage and an option to go KHL.

Kaberle was a buy low thing, I'm sure Kaberle actually has value right now, when he had negative value(Spacek) when we got him.

Old
01-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Maybe because Stastny has a huge cap hit and has struggled the last 2 years. Not sayibng they would do that particular deal but he is apparently available.

Old
01-02-2012, 12:00 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
So just because you're not winning RIGHT NOW you dump all your veterans and turn into Edmonton or Columbus?

What a freaking ridiculous post.

Plekanec is 29, how the hell is the window on him winning anything with us past? He still has 4-5 prime years.

The reason I had him and Cole on the no touch list is they have good contracts, they are outproducing their contracts and should still be productive for 3-5 years and they are quality vets. Obviously if you get a ridiculous offer you consider it, but to trade them just because the team is struggling is moronic.

The best thing for the franchise is to do like Philadelphia, have one crappy year, get a high pick and bounce back next year after adding a couple of quality vets by UFA.
no chance of us doing a philly rebuild

they had Giroux , Carter , Richards ,etc...

thier depth was twice ours and had marketable stars , thye had a bad year , a whack of injuries , and a future ...WE DONT

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
for me complete turnover if I can pull it off

the key is not to take back very long term contracts

the key is the picks coming backk

Cammy- should get us #1 and a serviceable player from a contender
good fit with the caps

Moen - should gte us at least a third pick

Kosty- get what you can cause the dude is done with us

Gill - should get us a third from a good team

Gio- same return as Cammy , good fit with the Rangers or Pheonix

Pleks ...deal would have to be make sense or no deal here , not a salary dump in my opinion
It's all fine to get rid of everybody and have a ton of cap room...but the last few years(and this coming summer) the market is not flooded with quality UFA's. So you trade Cammy and end up paying just as much for a lesser player, how does that help long term? Same goes for Gio.