HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM 40: Sharks def. Canucks - 3-2 (SO) (Hansen, Hodgson)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2012, 08:49 PM
  #26
Potatoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Weiss lappy sure. but alberts actually went after a few people.
I agree, which is why I think the real message was "Hey mike get me someone who can actually fight!"

Potatoe1 is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 08:50 PM
  #27
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser
 
mrmyheadhurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,212
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
I think you are being a tad dramatic.

A coach sending his GM a stubble request through the media is hardly a major issue.
Especially when it probably isn't even what AV was doing. He was calling out his own players, it happens on a regular basis around the NHL and it doesn't necessarily point to an ulterior motive. Sometimes we can take things at face value.

mrmyheadhurts is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 08:52 PM
  #28
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Weiss lappy sure. but alberts actually went after a few people.
Alberts was disappointing IMO. He's a guy who should be stepping up and destroying people in a game like that...he should be harder in front of our net too. It's good to see him step up and defend our players but thats a given for him, its to be expected. He's a guy who the other team should be coming after for hitting their star players...something we haven't seen enough of from him.

Canucker is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 08:58 PM
  #29
Potatoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Especially when it probably isn't even what AV was doing. He was calling out his own players, it happens on a regular basis around the NHL and it doesn't necessarily point to an ulterior motive. Sometimes we can take things at face value.
Sure..

That said, calling out 3 guys who are terrible fighters, for not doing enough, kind of forces the issue doesn't it?

Hell Alberts got called out and he was prety much the first guy to stick up for the twins, explain that one?

Either, way who knows. Perhaps AV is happy with the over all toughness of his team and thinks prodding guys like Lappy and Weise is the answer, although he's kidding himself if he thinks it is.

If I were in his position however, I would be strongly pushing my GM for more toughness, last night was a joke and like it or not games like that are terrible for team morale.

It makes no sense at all to play though the regular season and have to deal with this type of crap every other night.

Potatoe1 is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 09:04 PM
  #30
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
I think you are being a tad dramatic.
It was supposed to be a jab at your idea that AV would use the media to send a message to Gillis. That's not how a professional organization is run.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 09:07 PM
  #31
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
Sure..

That said, calling out 3 guys who are terrible fighters, for not doing enough, kind of forces the issue doesn't it?

Hell Alberts got called out and he was prety much the first guy to stick up for the twins, explain that one?

Either, way who knows. Perhaps AV is happy with the over all toughness of his team and thinks prodding guys like Lappy and Weise is the answer, although he's kidding himself if he thinks it is.

If I were in his position however, I would be strongly pushing my GM for more toughness, last night was a joke and like it or not games like that are terrible for team morale.

It makes no sense at all to play though the regular season and have to deal with this type of crap every other night.
They didn't initiate enough of their own contact. Who cares if they don't fight, or they suck at it? We don't need them to fight, we need them to punish the opposition physically. Between Lapierre, Alberts and Weise they had a collective 3 hits...thats weak in a game like that, when you need them to be physical players.

Canucker is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 09:14 PM
  #32
Potatoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It was supposed to be a jab at your idea that AV would use the media to send a message to Gillis. That's not how a professional organization is run.

Well that's your opinion but neither of us know so.....

It may or may not have been any type of message however I highly doubt AV is happy with the current level of toughness and physicality he has to work with.

I cant imagine any NHL coach thinking that Dale Weise and Max Lappiere are going to be the physical difference makers in the game we saw last night.

You can take AV's comments at face value if you like but they seem a little absurd to me.

The Canucks right now simply do not have the personnel to respond physically to what we saw in this game and AV knows it.

So whats the point of saying anything?

Potatoe1 is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 09:17 PM
  #33
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
Well that's your opinion but neither of us know so.....

It may or may not have been any type of message however I highly doubt AV is happy with the current level of toughness and physicality he has to work with.

I cant imagine any NHL coach thinking that Dale Weise and Max Lappiere are going to be the physical difference makers in the game we saw last night.

You can take AV's comments at face value if you like but they seem a little absurd to me.

The Canucks right now simply do not have the personnel to respond physically to what we saw in this game and AV knows it.

So whats the point of saying anything?
I think you are reaching here. AV and Gillis have by all accounts have an excellent relationship. Doubt AV jeopardizes that.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 09:20 PM
  #34
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I think you are reaching here. AV and Gillis have by all accounts have an excellent relationship. Doubt AV jeopardizes that.
Yeah, why would he make some dumb public innuendos when he could talk to Gillis in one of their meetings and say "I think we're short on toughness Mike", if he actually felt that way. He was calling out players who didn't perform in their respective roles, nothing more.

Canucker is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 09:34 PM
  #35
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
Is it actually Luongo playing? I would have that Schneider would take it away after the 4-1 loss, no?
3rd star in a 4-1 loss isnt a bad night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
Well that's your opinion but neither of us know so.....

It may or may not have been any type of message however I highly doubt AV is happy with the current level of toughness and physicality he has to work with.

I cant imagine any NHL coach thinking that Dale Weise and Max Lappiere are going to be the physical difference makers in the game we saw last night.You can take AV's comments at face value if you like but they seem a little absurd to me.

The Canucks right now simply do not have the personnel to respond physically to what we saw in this game and AV knows it.

So whats the point of saying anything?
Lapierre was a physical difference maker for this team all playoffs long.

Physical difference makers does not mean fighting, it means if you hit everything that moves and specifically target the oppositions best players. Thats what an agitator is supposed to do...agitate the best players (not the goons) to take them off their games.

Doughty had way to easy of a night, Lapierre should have been in his grill, and Bieksa should have beat him up....it didnt happen, but it should have.

We havent forechecked like we did last season lately, it sure doesnt help when two of the bigger forwards on the team are injured, but still opposition d's havent taken near the beating they were taking down the stretch last year.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 09:39 PM
  #36
Potatoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I think you are reaching here. AV and Gillis have by all accounts have an excellent relationship. Doubt AV jeopardizes that.
He isn't jeopardizing anything with these comments. They come across as totally innocent even though they are quite absurd when you think about it.

Potatoe1 is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 10:09 PM
  #37
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,985
vCash: 500
Wouldn't surprise me to see SJ goon it up a bit tomorrow night.

We need an absolutely strong response from our guys if they try that crap in our barn.

ddawg1950 is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 10:57 PM
  #38
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Weiss lappy sure. but alberts actually went after a few people.
Reacting to players like Richardson and Clifford who are paid to get punched in the face is not good enough. They came after our stars, we needed to get after theirs.

Scurr is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 11:19 PM
  #39
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Wouldn't surprise me to see SJ goon it up a bit tomorrow night.

We need an absolutely strong response from our guys if they try that crap in our barn.
We just need to play like we did in the playoffs. Skate fast, hit hard, capitalize on the PPs (should the refs smarten up long enough to give us one...)

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 11:29 PM
  #40
flack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,366
vCash: 500
What should we do if San Jose decided to do the same thing LA does?

flack is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 11:56 PM
  #41
bottomlesspop
Registered User
 
bottomlesspop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
What should we do if San Jose decided to do the same thing LA does?
Hope for PPs, hope for PP goals. That's how the team is built!

bottomlesspop is offline  
Old
01-01-2012, 11:56 PM
  #42
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
What should we do if San Jose decided to do the same thing LA does?
Take liberties on their star players.

Run their goalie.

Get greasy!

arsmaster is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 12:00 AM
  #43
serge2k
Registered User
 
serge2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Wouldn't surprise me to see SJ goon it up a bit tomorrow night.

We need an absolutely strong response from our guys if they try that crap in our barn.
Thornton tries that every time.

serge2k is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 12:02 AM
  #44
The Optimist
Registered User
 
The Optimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SFU
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
What should we do if San Jose decided to do the same thing LA does?
Run their star players. Eye for an eye. I don't mean run as in injure, I simply mean finish every check you can. This strategy goes hand-in-hand with AV's comments.

The only guys who did that last night were Kesler, Bieksa and Edler (and even then none of them managed to target one of the Kings' top guys). The Canucks are fully capable of punishing teams physically without dropping the gloves. Make it clear that if you touch a Sedin your top guys will pay the price in the form of a clean, hard hit.

Look no further than the Wings game. The Canucks took over physically after the hit on Kesler. That is the sort of response this team needs. No fighting. No cheap shots. Just some good, hard hits on their stars.

The Optimist is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 12:06 AM
  #45
flack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,366
vCash: 500
If we respond the same, there is no doubt in my mind calls will go in their favor...also I really don't like this happening:

When other teams tough players pick a fight with our players, usually we refuse because most of our players are not fighters making us look like cowards, they then continuously harass our top players cuz they know we can't respond. All we do is get in scrums, we never fight people who we know we will lose to. And when we do fight and lose...nothing really changes. Mike Milbury and other analysts continues with insults on our team.

flack is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 12:14 AM
  #46
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,770
vCash: 500
I hope Kesler fights Thornton. Winner takes all

Bgav is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 12:15 AM
  #47
The Optimist
Registered User
 
The Optimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SFU
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
If we respond the same, there is no doubt in my mind calls will go in their favor...also I really don't like this happening:

When other teams tough players pick a fight with our players, usually we refuse because most of our players are not fighters making us look like cowards, they then continuously harass our top players cuz they know we can't respond. All we do is get in scrums, we never fight people who we know we will lose to. And when we do fight and lose...nothing really changes. Mike Milbury and other analysts continues with insults on our team.
There are more ways of being physical (or responding to physical play) than simply fighting. Hit to hurt. A lot of these 'experts' seem to forget this. Having a defenseman know he is going to get plastered every time he gets the puck behind the net forces him to get rid of the puck quicker, increasing the chance of a turnover. Or it causes him to let the forchecker get to the puck first so as to avoid him getting hit, which in turn causes offensive possession of the puck.

Fighting brings none of these benefits. This is why I'd prefer the Canucks brand of physicality , assuming they actually employ it like they did in the playoffs. Run their stars enough and they will think twice about bothering yours.

The Optimist is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 12:58 AM
  #48
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,066
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Yeah, why would he make some dumb public innuendos when he could talk to Gillis in one of their meetings and say "I think we're short on toughness Mike", if he actually felt that way. He was calling out players who didn't perform in their respective roles, nothing more.
I agree, but that doesn't necessarily mean that trading for tough hockey players is out of the question.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 01:29 AM
  #49
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,296
vCash: 500
sharks will be like the kings. hacking whacking. canucks wont get a single powerplay

David71 is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 01:29 AM
  #50
convotutor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
I hope the canucks play like I know they can and absolutely kill the sharks!

convotutor is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.