HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM 40: Sharks def. Canucks - 3-2 (SO) (Hansen, Hodgson)

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Potatoe1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Weiss lappy sure. but alberts actually went after a few people.
I agree, which is why I think the real message was "Hey mike get me someone who can actually fight!"

Old
01-01-2012, 08:50 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
I think you are being a tad dramatic.

A coach sending his GM a stubble request through the media is hardly a major issue.
Especially when it probably isn't even what AV was doing. He was calling out his own players, it happens on a regular basis around the NHL and it doesn't necessarily point to an ulterior motive. Sometimes we can take things at face value.

Old
01-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Alberts was disappointing IMO. He's a guy who should be stepping up and destroying people in a game like that...he should be harder in front of our net too. It's good to see him step up and defend our players but thats a given for him, its to be expected. He's a guy who the other team should be coming after for hitting their star players...something we haven't seen enough of from him.

Old
01-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Especially when it probably isn't even what AV was doing. He was calling out his own players, it happens on a regular basis around the NHL and it doesn't necessarily point to an ulterior motive. Sometimes we can take things at face value.
Sure..

That said, calling out 3 guys who are terrible fighters, for not doing enough, kind of forces the issue doesn't it?

Hell Alberts got called out and he was prety much the first guy to stick up for the twins, explain that one?

Either, way who knows. Perhaps AV is happy with the over all toughness of his team and thinks prodding guys like Lappy and Weise is the answer, although he's kidding himself if he thinks it is.

If I were in his position however, I would be strongly pushing my GM for more toughness, last night was a joke and like it or not games like that are terrible for team morale.

It makes no sense at all to play though the regular season and have to deal with this type of crap every other night.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I think you are being a tad dramatic.
It was supposed to be a jab at your idea that AV would use the media to send a message to Gillis. That's not how a professional organization is run.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Sure..

That said, calling out 3 guys who are terrible fighters, for not doing enough, kind of forces the issue doesn't it?

Hell Alberts got called out and he was prety much the first guy to stick up for the twins, explain that one?

Either, way who knows. Perhaps AV is happy with the over all toughness of his team and thinks prodding guys like Lappy and Weise is the answer, although he's kidding himself if he thinks it is.

If I were in his position however, I would be strongly pushing my GM for more toughness, last night was a joke and like it or not games like that are terrible for team morale.

It makes no sense at all to play though the regular season and have to deal with this type of crap every other night.
They didn't initiate enough of their own contact. Who cares if they don't fight, or they suck at it? We don't need them to fight, we need them to punish the opposition physically. Between Lapierre, Alberts and Weise they had a collective 3 hits...thats weak in a game like that, when you need them to be physical players.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It was supposed to be a jab at your idea that AV would use the media to send a message to Gillis. That's not how a professional organization is run.

Well that's your opinion but neither of us know so.....

It may or may not have been any type of message however I highly doubt AV is happy with the current level of toughness and physicality he has to work with.

I cant imagine any NHL coach thinking that Dale Weise and Max Lappiere are going to be the physical difference makers in the game we saw last night.

You can take AV's comments at face value if you like but they seem a little absurd to me.

The Canucks right now simply do not have the personnel to respond physically to what we saw in this game and AV knows it.

So whats the point of saying anything?

Old
01-01-2012, 09:17 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:

It may or may not have been any type of message however I highly doubt AV is happy with the current level of toughness and physicality he has to work with.

I cant imagine any NHL coach thinking that Dale Weise and Max Lappiere are going to be the physical difference makers in the game we saw last night.

You can take AV's comments at face value if you like but they seem a little absurd to me.

The Canucks right now simply do not have the personnel to respond physically to what we saw in this game and AV knows it.

I think you are reaching here. AV and Gillis have by all accounts have an excellent relationship. Doubt AV jeopardizes that.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I think you are reaching here. AV and Gillis have by all accounts have an excellent relationship. Doubt AV jeopardizes that.
Yeah, why would he make some dumb public innuendos when he could talk to Gillis in one of their meetings and say "I think we're short on toughness Mike", if he actually felt that way. He was calling out players who didn't perform in their respective roles, nothing more.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:34 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
Is it actually Luongo playing? I would have that Schneider would take it away after the 4-1 loss, no?
3rd star in a 4-1 loss isnt a bad night.
Quote:

I cant imagine any NHL coach thinking that Dale Weise and Max Lappiere are going to be the physical difference makers in the game we saw last night.You can take AV's comments at face value if you like but they seem a little absurd to me.

Lapierre was a physical difference maker for this team all playoffs long.

Physical difference makers does not mean fighting, it means if you hit everything that moves and specifically target the oppositions best players. Thats what an agitator is supposed to do...agitate the best players (not the goons) to take them off their games.

Doughty had way to easy of a night, Lapierre should have been in his grill, and Bieksa should have beat him up....it didnt happen, but it should have.

We havent forechecked like we did last season lately, it sure doesnt help when two of the bigger forwards on the team are injured, but still opposition d's havent taken near the beating they were taking down the stretch last year.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
He isn't jeopardizing anything with these comments. They come across as totally innocent even though they are quite absurd when you think about it.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:09 PM
ddawg1950

Wouldn't surprise me to see SJ goon it up a bit tomorrow night.

We need an absolutely strong response from our guys if they try that crap in our barn.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Reacting to players like Richardson and Clifford who are paid to get punched in the face is not good enough. They came after our stars, we needed to get after theirs.

Old
01-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post

We need an absolutely strong response from our guys if they try that crap in our barn.
We just need to play like we did in the playoffs. Skate fast, hit hard, capitalize on the PPs (should the refs smarten up long enough to give us one...)

Old
01-01-2012, 11:29 PM
flack

What should we do if San Jose decided to do the same thing LA does?

Old
01-01-2012, 11:56 PM
bottomlesspop

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Hope for PPs, hope for PP goals. That's how the team is built!

Old
01-01-2012, 11:56 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Take liberties on their star players.

Run their goalie.

Get greasy!

Old
01-02-2012, 12:00 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post

Thornton tries that every time.

Old
01-02-2012, 12:02 AM
The Optimist

vCash: 400
Quote:
Run their star players. Eye for an eye. I don't mean run as in injure, I simply mean finish every check you can. This strategy goes hand-in-hand with AV's comments.

The only guys who did that last night were Kesler, Bieksa and Edler (and even then none of them managed to target one of the Kings' top guys). The Canucks are fully capable of punishing teams physically without dropping the gloves. Make it clear that if you touch a Sedin your top guys will pay the price in the form of a clean, hard hit.

Look no further than the Wings game. The Canucks took over physically after the hit on Kesler. That is the sort of response this team needs. No fighting. No cheap shots. Just some good, hard hits on their stars.

Old
01-02-2012, 12:06 AM
flack

If we respond the same, there is no doubt in my mind calls will go in their favor...also I really don't like this happening:

When other teams tough players pick a fight with our players, usually we refuse because most of our players are not fighters making us look like cowards, they then continuously harass our top players cuz they know we can't respond. All we do is get in scrums, we never fight people who we know we will lose to. And when we do fight and lose...nothing really changes. Mike Milbury and other analysts continues with insults on our team.

Old
01-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

I hope Kesler fights Thornton. Winner takes all

Old
01-02-2012, 12:15 AM
The Optimist

vCash: 400
Quote:
If we respond the same, there is no doubt in my mind calls will go in their favor...also I really don't like this happening:

When other teams tough players pick a fight with our players, usually we refuse because most of our players are not fighters making us look like cowards, they then continuously harass our top players cuz they know we can't respond. All we do is get in scrums, we never fight people who we know we will lose to. And when we do fight and lose...nothing really changes. Mike Milbury and other analysts continues with insults on our team.
There are more ways of being physical (or responding to physical play) than simply fighting. Hit to hurt. A lot of these 'experts' seem to forget this. Having a defenseman know he is going to get plastered every time he gets the puck behind the net forces him to get rid of the puck quicker, increasing the chance of a turnover. Or it causes him to let the forchecker get to the puck first so as to avoid him getting hit, which in turn causes offensive possession of the puck.

Fighting brings none of these benefits. This is why I'd prefer the Canucks brand of physicality , assuming they actually employ it like they did in the playoffs. Run their stars enough and they will think twice about bothering yours.

Old
01-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Yeah, why would he make some dumb public innuendos when he could talk to Gillis in one of their meetings and say "I think we're short on toughness Mike", if he actually felt that way. He was calling out players who didn't perform in their respective roles, nothing more.
I agree, but that doesn't necessarily mean that trading for tough hockey players is out of the question.

Old
01-02-2012, 01:29 AM
David71

sharks will be like the kings. hacking whacking. canucks wont get a single powerplay

Old
01-02-2012, 01:29 AM
convotutor

I hope the canucks play like I know they can and absolutely kill the sharks!

Closed Thread