HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM 40: Sharks def. Canucks - 3-2 (SO) (Hansen, Hodgson)

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2012, 01:38 PM
moog35

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
He had ample time to make an impression, which he didn't. I think its good that he came to the defense of his teammates but thats not enough for a guy who is our biggest and supposed to be our most physical defenseman. He needs to make an impact in his limited minutes or he should be in the pressbox.
the guy is our 6th/7th defenseman, some people on these boards have unreal expectations of what the role players on this team should provide. Alberts stuck up for his teammates and made a really nice defensive play sliding to break up and odd man rush, cut the guy some slack, some morons on these boards would complain if they were hung with a rotten rope

Old
01-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
the guy is our 6th/7th defenseman, some people on these boards have unreal expectations of what the role players on this team should provide. Alberts stuck up for his teammates and made a really nice defensive play sliding to break up and odd man rush, cut the guy some slack, some morons on these boards would complain if they were hung with a rotten rope
I agree that I was a bit surprised that Alberts was singled out for criticism from AV, but I understand what the coach was saying - in a game like that, you want your physical guys to go out and actually play the body, not just react to your team being attacked. Alberts admittedly didn't do that, although his game was leaps and bounds ahead of both Weise and Lapierre.

Old
01-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
This is bullocks. Alberts didn't get a ton of icetime, not a lot of time to make an impact on the ice. His after-whistle activities that you have such a problem with were A) Defending our captain/best player after a cheapshot after a goal, and B) Defending his defense partner from being jumped by a goon. You might have a problem with what Alberts did, but I guarantee his teammates don't.

Canucks fans are so mercurial. If we play with skill, we're not tough enough. If we show a little toughness, we're doing the wrong thing. It's stupid.

So you think Alberts charging players after whistles is toughness? LOL. Is that toughness now??

He prevented nothing - all he did was help LA drag that game down into the ditch. How many scrums followed after that? Did it deter any stuff after the whistles? Nope. That's not toughness, that's idiocy. When the game was played whistle to whistle, where was Alberts? Oh that's right, chasing the play and looking like an AHL'er all over the ice. He couldn't hit anybody because his reads were so off that he couldn't catch anybody. It's why AV is calling him out now... His "toughness" is a farce.

Your post just illustrates an archaic way of thinking many nux fans share. What's more, it goes directly against the intent of what MG is trying to do here. This team is built to win whistle to whistle. Period. Scrums only help to serve the other team. LA loved it. So knowing that, did Alberts help or hinder the nux? Answer: he hurt the nux.

Now, I'm not saying Alberts can't send a message to the player that cheap shot'd Henrik - but send it in a way that doesn't incite a scrum. Let it be known that it wasn't right without taking a penalty. Lay some forwards out during the course of play. If Richardson doesn't get a penalty on that play, then do the same/similar action on their player. Enough to send a message, but not enough to instigate a scrum. Basically, play within the boundaries of what has/has not been called to that point. Don't act like an idiot and hard charge after every slight made- making the refs put you in the box. That is losing hockey.

To put it plainly, the nux are getting caught in the trap far too often. Alberts is a prime example. When a situation calls for discipline, they react and play into the hands of the opposition. They still haven't figured out that scrums are bad. Against Colorado and Ottawa, they played it perfectly. Even the SJ game exemplified what to do. But for some reason the nux just went brain-dead against LA. This has to change fast.

Last edited by Bleach Clean: 01-02-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old
01-02-2012, 01:42 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

People really need to get over the LA game. We went .666 on that road trip, and I was fully expecting at least one loss. Vancouver is 2nd in the league right now after an incredibly slow start. It's only one game in the entire season, maybe the effort wasn't as high as it should have been but whatever.

Complain when we start looking like we did back in October over a long stretch. We're all gravy right now.

Old
01-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
"Farewell and adieu to you, San Jose Ladies..."

Well done!!!!

Old
01-02-2012, 01:53 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
#53...the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
People really need to get over the LA game. We went .666 on that road trip, and I was fully expecting at least one loss. Vancouver is 2nd in the league right now after an incredibly slow start. It's only one game in the entire season, maybe the effort wasn't as high as it should have been but whatever.

Complain when we start looking like we did back in October over a long stretch. We're all gravy right now.
This.

Old
01-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
That is just blatantly incorrect. We got 15 wins in the Playoffs doing that and we won the President's Trophy doing that all of last year. We're second in the Conference with that style right now.

Some people are really taking the LA game too much to heart.
Just remember 1976-1991... 15 consecutive losing seasons which remains an NHL record.

Young 'uns just do not know when they have it good.

Old
01-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
What do you think my expectations are for Alberts? If he wants to be a 6th defenseman instead of in the pressbox as a 7th, he's going to have to show what got him into the league in the first place. If he's not initiating contact and being hard to play against in front of his own net he's not even going to be our 7th d-man. I don't think thats being unreasonable.

Old
01-02-2012, 02:01 PM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
So you think Alberts charging players after whistles is toughness? LOL. Is that toughness now??

He prevented nothing - all he did was help LA drag that game down into the ditch. How many scrums followed after that? Did it deter any stuff after the whistles? Nope. That's not toughness, that's idiocy. When the game was played whistle to whistle, where was Alberts? Oh that's right, chasing the play and looking like an AHL'er all over the ice. He couldn't hit anybody because his reads were so off that he couldn't catch anybody. It's why AV is calling him out now... His "toughness" is a farce.

Your post just illustrates an archaic way of thinking many nux fans share. What's more, it goes directly against the intent of what MG is trying to do here. This team is built to win whistle to whistle. Period. Scrums only help to serve the other team. LA loved it. So knowing that, did Alberts help or hinder the nux? Answer: he hurt the nux.

Now, I'm not saying Alberts can't send a message to the player that cheap shot'd Henrik - but send it in a way that doesn't incite a scrum. Let it be known that it wasn't right without taking a penalty. Lay some forwards out during the course of play. If Richardson doesn't get a penalty on that play, then do the same/similar action on their player. Enough to send a message, but not enough to instigate a scrum. Basically, play within the boundaries of what has/has not been called to that point. Don't act like an idiot and hard charge after every slight made- making the refs put you in the box. That is losing hockey.

To put it plainly, the nux are getting caught in the trap far too often. Alberts is a prime example. When a situation calls for discipline, they react and play into the hands of the opposition. They still haven't figured out that scrums are bad. Against Colorado and Ottawa, they played it perfectly. Even the SJ game exemplified what to do. But for some reason the nux just went brain-dead against LA. This has to change fast.
I'm sorry but i applaud the way Alberts reacted to Richardson roughing up Sedin after they scored, and Clifford going after Ballard. You may not like the way Alberts reacted but I guarantee his teammates did. He's our biggest player and if he had of just stood there and watched it wouldn't have gone over to well in the dressing room. Its time for this team to start showing some backbone, and the fact that your complaining about our worst defenseman and biggest player on the ice sticking up for out best player is ridiculous. This team and some of its fans have gotten so soft its ridiculous

Old
01-02-2012, 02:06 PM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
What do you think my expectations are for Alberts? If he wants to be a 6th defenseman instead of in the pressbox as a 7th, he's going to have to show what got him into the league in the first place. If he's not initiating contact and being hard to play against in front of his own net he's not even going to be our 7th d-man. I don't think thats being unreasonable.
I agree that he needs to play that way to be effective, but the guy plays one bad game and this board is littered with people complaining about him. The whole team played like crap against L.A, Alberts included. I also bet that Alberts would play a lot more physical if he knew some of his teammates would have his back when he lays someone out and has guys from the opposing team wanting to fight him. Alberts may be big but hes far from being a good fighter

Old
01-02-2012, 02:07 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
This.
Still Top-3 road team in the league.

I ain't even mad.

Let LA have a little taste of winning and get their spirits up, Sutter isn't going to turn that team into an offensive juggernaut by any means.

Old
01-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I'm sorry but i applaud the way Alberts reacted to Richardson roughing up Sedin after they scored, and Clifford going after Ballard. You may not like the way Alberts reacted but I guarantee his teammates did. He's our biggest player and if he had of just stood there and watched it wouldn't have gone over to well in the dressing room. Its time for this team to start showing some backbone, and the fact that your complaining about our worst defenseman and biggest player on the ice sticking up for out best player is ridiculous. This team and some of its fans have gotten so soft its ridiculous

Maybe AV is going soft too? I mean, he must be out to lunch when he calls out Alberts's play amirite? Why would he do that if Alberts did the right thing(s) in that game? Please explain that to me.

My take is this: AV calls out Alberts because his actions were out of line with this team's concept. He acted like a moron and hurt his team in the process. He did not play whistle to whistle. He instead chose to instigate scrums. Finally, he was unable to exact retribution in any way that mattered i.e. during actual play. That game should herald the end for this garbage hockey player in Van.

You say that perhaps the team liked the way he reacted, and I agree with you - they must have loved it, and it's exactly why this team still hasn't learned how to handle these types of situations properly. They don't recognize this as a bad thing yet.

You're right about him being the team's worst defender. He's also the last remnant of caveman hockey still on this team. Needless to say, I'm eagerly awaiting the day he gets shipped out.

Old
01-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Mojo Risin*
Burrows #1 fan

Surprising they would go with Luongo after how disgusting his play has been the last few games. (Well not really surprising i guess).

We need to be giving Schnieder some games though as it is all but a guarantee that Luongo will lose his job in the playoffs this year.

Perhaps if the PP is terrible for a couple more games the referees will actually do their jobs and call the games like they should be called, rather than trying to even the odds for the other team like they have done basically the past month.

Old
01-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
Surprising they would go with Luongo after how disgusting his play has been the last few games. (Well not really surprising i guess).

We need to be giving Schnieder some games though as it is all but a guarantee that Luongo will lose his job in the playoffs this year.
lol what is this

Old
01-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Taunted
Saved by Draft '13

Quote:

Perhaps if the PP is terrible for a couple more games the referees will actually do their jobs and call the games like they should be called, rather than trying to even the odds for the other team like they have done basically the past month.
Luongo was strong the last SJ game. Why wouldn't you play him?

Old
01-02-2012, 03:30 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

Troll?

He was the 3rd star in the LA game.

Agree with your 3rd paragraph, the other two, not so much.

Old
01-02-2012, 03:33 PM
moog35

Quote:
Maybe AV is going soft too? I mean, he must be out to lunch when he calls out Alberts's play amirite? Why would he do that if Alberts did the right thing(s) in that game? Please explain that to me.

My take is this: AV calls out Alberts because his actions were out of line with this team's concept. He acted like a moron and hurt his team in the process. He did not play whistle to whistle. He instead chose to instigate scrums. Finally, he was unable to exact retribution in any way that mattered i.e. during actual play. That game should herald the end for this garbage hockey player in Van.

You say that perhaps the team liked the way he reacted, and I agree with you - they must have loved it, and it's exactly why this team still hasn't learned how to handle these types of situations properly. They don't recognize this as a bad thing yet.

You're right about him being the team's worst defender. He's also the last remnant of caveman hockey still on this team. Needless to say, I'm eagerly awaiting the day he gets shipped out.
Other than last season I cant remember a Canucks team where our 7th defenseman was as good as Alberts. People like you just love to set unreal expectations for 4th liners and bottom pairing defensemen. Alberts is far better than any 7th D we had in the past when we had guys like Fitzpatrick and Nathan McIver filling that role. Alberts is probably a top 5 #7D in the league yet people like you still expect him to play perfect defensive games while throwing multiple huge clean hits on the other teams top players which according to you is providing toughness, not actually sticking up for your teammate right after and incident takes place like Alberts did the other night. Get a grip and set some realistic expectations for role players like Alberts

Old
01-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:

Might not have been lights out against LA, but he was easily the best Canuck in the last game against SJ...

Old
01-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Other than last season I cant remember a Canucks team where our 7th defenseman was as good as Alberts. People like you just love to set unreal expectations for 4th liners and bottom pairing defensemen. Alberts is far better than any 7th D we had in the past when we had guys like Fitzpatrick and Nathan McIver filling that role. Alberts is probably a top 5 #7D in the league yet people like you still expect him to play perfect defensive games while throwing multiple huge clean hits on the other teams top players which according to you is providing toughness, not actually sticking up for your teammate right after and incident takes place like Alberts did the other night. Get a grip and set some realistic expectations for role players like Alberts

You avoided my question: Why was AV chastising Alberts for his performance? Does he need to get a grip too?

Hey, here's a news flash for you: Alberts is not a #7D on this team. Sulzer has outplayed him this year. Rome has always been better. So that puts him at #8 and fading fast.

I take little issue with the 4th liners. Notice how I single out Alberts and not Lapierre and Weise... It's because Lappy and Weise have played multiple good games for the nux prior to the LA game, so they get a pass from me. Alberts hasn't earned that credit. He played one good game against SJ, and that's it. For the rest of the time, he's too busy being skated out of the rink.

He stuck up for his teammates in exactly the wrong fashion. What are you not understanding about that? He reacted and put his team short-handed. Do you think that this somehow helps the Canucks? In what way?

Alberts needs to be gone ASAP. He serves no purpose other than to make the other team look good.

Old
01-02-2012, 04:07 PM
embee

Can someone please fill me in on this milk hotdogs thing.... for some reason I assume it was something Bieksa said about the Sharks?

Over/Under on PP's for the Canucks is set at .5, if it existed.

Old
01-02-2012, 04:08 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaney View Post
Can someone please fill me in on this milk hotdogs thing.... for some reason I assume it was something Bieksa said about the Sharks?

Over/Under on PP's for the Canucks is set at .5, if it existed.
I think .5 can be attributed to they'll give us a PP in the last minute of the third.

Old
01-02-2012, 04:18 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
I think .5 can be attributed to they'll give us a PP in the last minute of the third.
Or if they give us a PP and a minute in call Kesler for goalie interference.

Old
01-02-2012, 04:31 PM
moog35

Quote:
You avoided my question: Why was AV chastising Alberts for his performance? Does he need to get a grip too?

Hey, here's a news flash for you: Alberts is not a #7D on this team. Sulzer has outplayed him this year. Rome has always been better. So that puts him at #8 and fading fast.

I take little issue with the 4th liners. Notice how I single out Alberts and not Lapierre and Weise... It's because Lappy and Weise have played multiple good games for the nux prior to the LA game, so they get a pass from me. Alberts hasn't earned that credit. He played one good game against SJ, and that's it. For the rest of the time, he's too busy being skated out of the rink.

He stuck up for his teammates in exactly the wrong fashion. What are you not understanding about that? He reacted and put his team short-handed. Do you think that this somehow helps the Canucks? In what way?

Alberts needs to be gone ASAP. He serves no purpose other than to make the other team look good.
Your wrong

Old
01-02-2012, 04:44 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
I think you are being a tad dramatic.

A coach sending his GM a stubble request through the media is hardly a major issue.
When an NHL coach and general manager can't have completely open and honest communication? Not a major issue? With a coach and GM pulling different directions?

I hardly think the Canucks have that issue, every indication from Gillis of AV has been of approval since his extension.

Gillis is clearly the kind of guy who looks for every possible advantage. That might not be a big deal to you, or to fans, but that WOULD be a big deal to him.

Old
01-02-2012, 05:17 PM
jammyrft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Weiss lappy sure. but alberts actually went after a few people.

starting a scrum doesn't count as sticking up for your team mates. Who cares if you get in a pushing match and face wash someone.

Standing up, holding your ground and sticking up for a team mate involves dropping the mits and ACTUALLY fighting. That's what cup teams do, and it's what we haven't been doing

Closed Thread