HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Saku (our God) or Mats Sundin

View Poll Results: Who would you choose for the next 5 years?
Saku Koivu 96 55.81%
Mats Sundin 76 44.19%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2004, 07:48 PM
Marchy79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Where do you get your facts? Saku had an AMAZING (sarcastic) 56 points in 50 games (nearly 1 ppg) his second season in the nhl. Alot of players have had one GREAT (56 points in 50 games imo isn't great) season and have done nothing after. You are OUT of your mind if you think that Koivu, could have become as good as Sundin. This thread is not about 'what if koivu hadn't had an injury in 96' it's about who's the better player. Time and time again, Sundin has put up big numbers, Koivu has had 1 single 71 pt season. For a first line center that is pretty pathetic...
Actually, the thread is about who would Hab fans want over 5 years... Koivu or Sundin.

Old
10-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifesfor
NOTHING prove that Koivu would have become a 1.5 ppg ratio player, but still his injury slow him down a lot.
I don't get why you say that, he had one good season. The previous season he had 46? pts I believe. A ton of players have had one good season and slowed down, it's a normality. Who's to say his injury had anything to do with it, he can't possibly still be hurting 7 years after. I mean he only missed 30 games it's not like it was a huge injury. Especially not for Koivu, he's only had 2 full seasons...

Old
10-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Actually, the thread is about who would Hab fans want over 5 years... Koivu or Sundin.
And the winner is.... Koivu!!!!

Old
10-04-2004, 08:33 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
And the winner is.... Koivu!!!!
I concur!!! KOIVU!!!

Old
10-04-2004, 08:44 PM
ifesfor*

Ohhh yeah Koivu rule!!!

Old
10-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Bloody Sabbath

Send a message via MSN to Bloody Sabbath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
I concur!!! KOIVU!!!
and sundin wins the poll asking who's better between the two...
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=106931

Quote:
Bahhh your just piss that i didnt vote Sundin!!!
no, the opinion of people like you means nothing to me.

Quote:
YES BY DEFAULT.Everybody know around the league that at his SECOND season, Koivu was LEAGUE LEADER in points and got that injury that morph his career.
So what, he had a good half a season and that means he's on his way to superstardom?

Quote:
I can tell you one thing.It would be a wayyy more close contest IF koivu havent got that injury.Both would be equal in ppg ratio.So YES Koivu isnt the best player between both because Sundin is just not an injury-magnet player.
you're going off the assumption that koivu would keep up that pace that he had through that one half season where he played some good hockey. that's too hypothetical to assume. would he have been better? probably. however it's impossible to assume how much better.

Quote:
But yes, nothing prove that Koivu would have continue with this excellent points/ratio...but still odd were on his side.
until he actually does it you can't state that as a fact.

Quote:
Yeah....me a homer....look at my avatar now!Your jaleous!
yeah, really jealous. i wish i could spell as good as you. please teach me.

Old
10-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_tml89
and sundin wins the poll asking who's better between the two...
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=106931
Well the results mean nothing, because the question was who will be better for the Habs within the next 5 years, as opposed to who is better......

Old
10-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Bloody Sabbath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Well the results mean nothing, because the question was who will be better for the Habs within the next 5 years, as opposed to who is better......
Fair enough, but I think that if the "5 year" question was asked on the general poll board, it would be a lot closer than here. A 38 year old Sundin could put up probably 55-60 points considering his consistency, and that he isn't really showing too many signs of slowing down. A 34 year old Koivu wouldn't put up as much as a 34 year old Sundin, but who knows if Koivu's injuries come back and force him to retire early. Since 'assuming' that would contracict my previous posts, I'll assume he 'does' stay healthy but I still don't see him scoring more than 65 points at age 34.

Old
10-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
But it's not even that... it's who would we rather have. Sundin probably would be better for us, even over the next 5 years. But who cares? We want Saku! It's like, I could probably have a nice healthy low-fat dish that would be far better for me for the next 5 years. But I want my greasy pizza and beer instead. We know what we like, and this was a good poll because it didn't force us to try to be all cold and objective and smart about it.

Old
10-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Mooch

Quote:
But it's not even that... it's who would we rather have. Sundin probably would be better for us, even over the next 5 years. But who cares? We want Saku! It's like, I could probably have a nice healthy low-fat dish that would be far better for me for the next 5 years. But I want my greasy pizza and beer instead. We know what we like, and this was a good poll because it didn't force us to try to be all cold and objective and smart about it.

Im with you on that Greasy Pizza.....

Old
10-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Fair enough, but I think that if the "5 year" question was asked on the general poll board, it would be a lot closer than here. A 38 year old Sundin could put up probably 55-60 points considering his consistency, and that he isn't really showing too many signs of slowing down. A 34 year old Koivu wouldn't put up as much as a 34 year old Sundin, but who knows if Koivu's injuries come back and force him to retire early. Since 'assuming' that would contracict my previous posts, I'll assume he 'does' stay healthy but I still don't see him scoring more than 65 points at age 34.
Well im a believer that Koivu will produce at a later age if given the right wingers.......but thats just my opinion.

Time will tell.........

Old
10-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Bloody Sabbath

Quote:
So even though you admit that Sundin would be better for your team, you'd still take Saku? I don't get you Hab's fans addiction to Koivu, but hey, whatever floats your boat .
But it would be like Leafs fans turning down Sundin for Sakic, because they feel loyal to Sundin. That would be ridiculous

Old
10-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Mooch

Quote:
So even though you admit that Sundin would be better for your team, you'd still take Saku? I don't get you Hab's fans addiction to Koivu, but hey, whatever floats your boat .
But it would be like Leafs fans turning down Sundin for Sakic, because they feel loyal to Sundin. That would be ridiculous
Other fans will never understand just how much Saku means to us. Hes been our best player for years, which means hes always been the only guy that has stood out to us over the "crapy" years. Also, hes cancer survival is just that much more special, when hes a guy from your on team. If you were a Hab fan, youd understand.......

Old
10-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Bloody Sabbath

Quote:
Other fans will never understand just how much Saku means to us. Hes been our best player for years, which means hes always been the only guy that has stood out to us over the "crapy" years. Also, hes cancer survival is just that much more special, when hes a guy from your on team. If you were a Hab fan, youd understand.......
So I guess you kind of need Saku for more of an emotional, "spiritual" inspiration, which would mean more than the scoring a Mats Sundin could bring you. Understandable. Much like Steve Yzerman who at this stage doesn't have too much left, but he is still the heart of the Red Wings.

Old
10-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Mooch

Quote:
So I guess you kind of need Saku for more of an emotional, "spiritual" inspiration, which would mean more than the scoring a Mats Sundin could bring you. Understandable. Much like Steve Yzerman who at this stage doesn't have too much left, but he is still the heart of the Red Wings.
Ya actaully its just like that, except Saku is still a trmendous performer.......

Old
10-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Bloody Sabbath

Quote:
Ya actaully its just like that, except Saku is still a trmendous performer.......
No ones denying that, but I'd still choose Sundin
But would I turn down Koivu on my team? Hell no. There's only maybe 2 or 3 players I wouldn't trade for him.

Old
10-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Mooch

Quote:
No ones denying that, but I'd still choose Sundin
But would I turn down Koivu on my team? Hell no. There's only maybe 2 or 3 players I wouldn't trade for him.
Rick, you may be a Leaf (shuders with Disgust), but your a true loyal fan (shudders again with disgust).......your alriiiiightttt Rick.

Old
10-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I wouldn't trade Sundin for Sakic. Joe is 35, injury prone and alot smaller then Mats. Sakic is better but I don't think he'd fit in a team full of huge and physical players.

Old
10-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Bloody Sabbath

Quote:
Rick, you may be a Leaf (shuders with Disgust), but your a true loyal fan (shudders again with disgust).......your alriiiiightttt Rick.
thanks...i try to keep an open mind
you're not bad yourself...for a HAB

Old
10-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Bloody Sabbath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
I wouldn't trade Sundin for Sakic. Joe is 35, injury prone and alot smaller then Mats. Sakic is better but I don't think he'd fit in a team full of huge and physical players.
True, but Sakic has 3 cups, and at 35 is only 2 years older than Mats. Also he can put up the same number of points in 15 less games as Sundin. But lets not turn this into a Sundin/Sakic debate. There already was one and Sakic won in a landslide, like he should have.

Old
10-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Shabutie

I know Sakic is better but, why would him having 3 stanley cups have anything to do with it. Sakic was in one of the best teams the late 90's had to offer. Damn man, montreal coulda won at least 2 more cups with Roy in nets And then perhaps we wouldn't be having this Saku vs Sundin debate.

Old
10-04-2004, 11:02 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

.Everybody know around the league that at his SECOND season, Koivu was LEAGUE LEADER in points and got that injury that morph his career.

how someone could forget it ! since that time , Saku's fans talk about it every week...

may be it would be a good thing for them to realize that the year before ,not less than 9 players of the team have scored 20 or + goals .
So , may be it was not him who was making the other players better, but the opposite

Old
10-04-2004, 11:49 PM
LePoche69

It's hard for me to admit... I'm a big big Koivu fan... Love his heart and everything... but... All of what Vlad the Impaler wrote is... the simple, plain, hurtfull, hard truth.

Koivu doesn't come close to Sundin. He's clearly in the bottom fourth of all the first line centers and didn't prove much as a leader. Maybe Habs' fans (which I am) don't remember what a "real-leader-on-a-contender" and what a "real-first-line-center-on-a-contender" are. In fact, I think Koivu doesn't even come close to what Kirk Muller was for the Habs in '93, but everybody seems to think that Koivu is the best thing since Guy Lafleur...

I honestly think that the Habs will be a contender when Koivu will be 36-38 and playing on the fourth line. It will be a feel good story seeing him win a cup, thanks to Chip, Kost, Komi, Plek, Higgins, and co...

Like Andreychuk.

Old
10-04-2004, 11:54 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Ifesfor wrote : YES BY DEFAULT.Everybody know around the league that at his SECOND season, Koivu was LEAGUE LEADER in points and got that injury that morph his career.
Ahhhhhh... C'mon! Is he the first and only player to have that kind of injurie? Yzerman? Naslund? McInnis? I can't name everybody, don't have enough space! A lot of guys had those kind of injuries and still manage to get to the hall of fame or at least the all star game...

Old
10-05-2004, 01:19 AM
CHareth

Mike8's two posts earlier say it all perfectly, including his comment: "On the topic at hand here: I'd choose Sundin. But I'd miss the fiery competitive edge that Koivu brings and Sundin lacks." I've seen Sundin in some international competitions where he simply dominates on every shift and looks like a man possessed. If he could only do that more regularly in the NHL - that'd be sweet to watch.

Closed Thread