HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs sign Josh Gorges to a 6-year extension worth a reported 3.9mill per season

Old
01-01-2012, 10:58 PM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I have a choice between Gorges and Bieksa? Sign me up for Bieksa - he has a slapshot, can drop the gloves and hurt you, and doesn't have to drop the gloves to hurt you.

Habs can't seem to address the fact that a point shot is what's missing. And the D is soft in general. Give me Bieksa. The Habs spend more money on one dimensional D.
Jesus Christ. The only guy that gives 110% every game for the team and is actually an extremely good player and there are people finding a reason to complain?

I bet you'd be the first one crying if some other team signed him in the summer.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Over 6 years? Not a chance.
If not 6 years I think as a UFA he would have gotten as much as 4.5/year. Look at what Komisarek signed for as a UFA. Cripes Souray signed for 5.5 mil and his only above average skills were his shot and fighting.

It's not a great signing because we got him dirt cheap, it's a great signing because the guy lays it on the line every game, kills penalities, plays against top lines, blocks shots and he is a leader on the team.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I have a choice between Gorges and Bieksa? Sign me up for Bieksa - he has a slapshot, can drop the gloves and hurt you, and doesn't have to drop the gloves to hurt you.

Habs can't seem to address the fact that a point shot is what's missing. And the D is soft in general. Give me Bieksa. The Habs spend more money on one dimensional D.
Bieksa signed for 4.6 mil not 3.9 mil. He's had an up and down career, he's had years where he was better than gorges but he's also had years where he was terrible, played poor defense and took bad penalities and most fans wanted him gone. Gorges is not flashy and he won't singlehandedly win you games, but he is gritty and tough and will do anything to win, you know he will be there every night and he is a great leader for all the young d-men on the way.

I don't see how anybody that knows hockey(not the ones that just look at stats) would see that as a bad signing. I would have preferred 4 years and 3.5 mil but 400k will not break the bank.

Old
01-01-2012, 11:12 PM
King Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
So, do you watch hockey or do you just look at the stats sheets? Tons of stay at home defensemen are making the same kind of money as Gorges.

What do Hamhuis, Bieksa and Kronwall all have in common? They play on teams that can actually score goals. Gorges has easily been the best defensemen this season, and people who want to try and deny that this is a good signing are out of their minds.
Fourtunatly I don't only look at the stat sheet because this would look a lot worse.

Do you know why they play on teams that actually score goals? Because their teams don't hand out ridiculous contracts to players that play 20-22 mins a game to players like Gorges who DONT and CANT contribute at all to the offense. Are you still wondering why this team can't goals. He's not the biggest reason but it sure doesnt help.

Nothing against the good he's good at what he does but 2.5-3M would of been very fair for Gorges on a 6 year deal. Every Mill counts nowadays if you want to improve your team in a salary cap league.

This team just has awful money management.

King Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovalev View Post
Fourtunatly I don't only look at the stat sheet because this would look a lot worse.

Do you know why they play on teams that actually score goals? Because their teams don't hand out ridiculous contracts to players that play 20-22 mins a game to players like Gorges who DONT and CANT contribute at all to the offense. Are you still wondering why this team can't goals. He's not the biggest reason but it sure doesnt help.

Nothing against the good he's good at what he does but 2.5-3M would of been very fair for Gorges on a 6 year deal. Every Mill counts nowadays if you want to improve your team in a salary cap league.

I guess Chara at 6.9 must be a brutal contract since 80% of his value is based on playing defense and being a leader.(the other 20% is for his slap shot on the PP).

Old
01-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Problem starts with you thinking Gorges is a bottom pairing D.

The man is our top shutdown D. He is great defensively, is the first used in any type of shut down role, that is sufficient enough. Players that are worst defensively but bigger will get higher contracts, like Komi.
I expected Gorges to get 3.5m, so I won't cry for the 400k more.
Comparing Komi to Gorges, really? I have a little more respect for Josh's abilities than to compare him to Komisarek, who I was defiant about giving a big contract to at the time.

I see this contract as restrictive in the future. In the end, we want our players to be assets, and if the contract is too high we are stuck with them.

Again, I like Gorges, I think its way too much for him. You can look around the league, and on most teams find comparable players at far less the cost. You make it sound like this teams knows how to spend money, when history shows they don't.

I think this team could replace Gorges, and survive just fine, and hey, if Molson doesn't care, I won't lose sleep over it. Apparently he has faith in his managements ability to spend money for some reason.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:21 PM
King Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you know that sabres are paying him 18 Mil over this season and next to save on the cap right...
So what? That's a good thing, no?

Old
01-01-2012, 11:22 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
So what? That's a good thing, no?
if you think he's worth 9 MIl a year yeah...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Comparing Komi to Gorges, really? I have a little more respect for Josh's abilities than to compare him to Komisarek, who I was defiant about giving a big contract to at the time.

I see this contract as restrictive in the future. In the end, we want our players to be assets, and if the contract is too high we are stuck with them.

Again, I like Gorges, I think its way too much for him. You can look around the league, and on most teams find comparable players at far less the cost. You make it sound like this teams knows how to spend money, when history shows they don't.

I think this team could replace Gorges, and survive just fine, and hey, if Molson doesn't care, I won't lose sleep over it. Apparently he has faith in his managements ability to spend money for some reason.
What comparables are making considerably less?

I'd want guys that are 4-6 years into their careers not guys on their 1st or 2nd contracts as those are always cheaper.

Old
01-01-2012, 11:40 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

How did I not see this until right now? My favourite player re-signed? **** yeah! Thank god. Great contract.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:42 PM
King Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I guess Chara at 6.9 must be a brutal contract since 80% of his value is based on playing defense and being a leader.(the other 20% is for his slap shot on the PP).
What? Now you're just playing stupid.

Chara is dominent at pretty much everything. That's why he's making 7M
Atleast 40 + points per year.
One of the best PPQB
One of the best denfensive defensemen in the league
One of the best PKer
Physical
Fights and on ..

They don't sign their "Gorges" for 4M ..

Old
01-01-2012, 11:46 PM
King Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
if you think he's worth 9 MIl a year yeah...
It's 4M against the cap so why do you care if Pegula is dishing out 9M. Do you know how the salary cap works? That's good money management.

Gomez is owed 10M for the next two years but it's going to count as 14M overall on the cap that's bad money management.

Old
01-01-2012, 11:46 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
That's a lot of money for a "no-mistake" average defenseman. I appreciate his heart, but it scares me when I think hes getting 3.9, and we have Subban to sign eventually.
Gorges > Subban.

Old
01-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Gorges > Subban.
l-m-a-o

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:57 PM
coolasprICE

Josh(ua) and I share the same name.

It's nice that he familiarized the anglo name to Quebecois...

Now I don't have to repeat my name 10 times.

By the end of this contract, I'll bet there'll even be francophone josh's popping up

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Jesse Pinkman

**** yeah!!! So happy right now!

Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:04 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

He lines up against the best players the other team has to offer, not letting the other team score goals helps our offense. In what world are people ripping on arguably our best defenseman? Do you even watch this sport?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
l-m-a-o
Gorges > Subban

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Someone earlier called this guy a no mistake and average defensman.

What the heck does that mean? lol. There's nothing average about a rock solid d-man who is trusted against the other team's best lines, and gorges does it well. Anyways, if you look at comparables over the past few years, you'll see gorges generally fits will with his salary.

As for subban, he's still got a few years before he hits ufa status. He will be taken care of as long as he performs, dont worry. His comparables will be a bit different. If he plays the way I think he can play, he will be in doughty territory. Anyways, he's not doing anything this year to raise his market value... he reminds me of a risky jovanovski this year more than doughty... he has a lot to learn.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Dekar

Want to decide how good of a contract it is?

Go to the Trade/Free Agent forum and see the kind of praise coming from non-Hab fans. Keep in mind how much the Habs get hated-on on the main board, and then re-read all the comments from other teams' fans wishing they'd gotten him as a UFA and how good a deal it was (and no, they're not being sarcastic just because they hate us).

The true value of your players can be seen in the eyes of your enemies.

I am way too drunk to be posting.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:09 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:

lol .. he has 6 less points than Subban and Kaberle.

We have one defenseman on the active roster who a plus-players this year. Gorges leads all defenseman (also the team in +/-). There is a reason for that.

We have only 5 players on the active roster who are not in the minus. Desharnais, Cole, Leblanc, Gorges, and Eller.

Old
01-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Rgolt

I think it would be a unanimous decision that Gorges > the guys in bold (atleast contract wise)
based on this it looks like a pretty fair deal imo
only reason ppl are mad imo is bc we no we cudve gotten Gorges for around 3.5 mill and maybe a year or 2 less in the offseason. But instead we signed markov for 3 yrs

24. Hainsey, Ron » D WIN 30 5 $4,500,000
25. Komisarek, Mike » D TOR 29 5 $4,500,000

26. Hamhuis, Dan » D VAN 29 6 $4,500,000
27. Pitkanen, Joni » D CAR 28 3 $4,500,000
28. Johnson, Jack » D LAK 24 7 $4,357,143
29. Volchenkov, Anton » D NJD 29 6 $4,250,000
30. Kaberle, Tomas » D MTL 33 3 $4,250,000
31. Liles, John-Michael » D TOR 31 4 $4,200,000
32. Ballard, Keith » D VAN 29 6 $4,200,000
33. Jovanovski, Ed » D FLA 35 4 $4,125,000

34. Streit, Mark » D NYI 34 5 $4,100,000
35. Regehr, Robyn » D BUF 31 5 $4,020,000
36. Giordano, Mark » D CGY 28 5 $4,020,000
37. Gilbert, Tom » D EDM 28 6 $4,000,000
38. Whitney, Ryan » D EDM 28 6 $4,000,000

39. Meszaros, Andrej » D PHI 26 6 $4,000,000
40. Zidlicky, Marek » D MIN 34 3 $4,000,000
41. Michalek, Zbynek » D PIT 29 5 $4,000,000
42. Ehrhoff, Christian » D BUF 29 10 $4,000,000
43. Staal, Marc » D NYR 24 5 $3,975,000
44. Wideman, Dennis » D WAS 28 4 $3,937,500
45. Kubina, Pavel » D TBL 34 2 $3,850,000
46. Brewer, Eric » D TBL 32 4 $3,850,000
47. Spacek, Jaroslav » D CAR 37 3 $3,833,333
48. Beauchemin, Francois » D ANA 31 3 $3,800,000

49. Stuart, Brad » D DET 32 4 $3,750,000
50. Enstrom, Tobias » D WIN 27 4 $3,750,000

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:15 AM
The Doors

This is a good signing. This maybe isn't the most cohesive team in the world, but Gorges is one of the guys that helps bridge that. At his age he is right in between the older group of veterans that gave us a couple of fun years in the playoffs (Gionta, Markov, Cammalleri, Gill, Cole, Gomez etc) and the younger group of interesting youth that will be looked at to carry on (Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Eller, Emelin, Leblanc etc).

He's exactly what a player on the Habs should be like. Probably the next captain, too. Good work Gauthier, I honestly thought he would've been snapped up elsewhere.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:19 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
People who don't like this signing don't watch the Habs.

He is a beast, a warrior and our best dman.

Plus, this is Josh mother****in Gorgeous Gorges...did I mention what a beast he is?

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:22 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
It's 4M against the cap so why do you care if Pegula is dishing out 9M. Do you know how the salary cap works? That's good money management.

Gomez is owed 10M for the next two years but it's going to count as 14M overall on the cap that's bad money management.
wrong. (not him in particular) but these players are usually easier to trade because of this.

and while you think the got a good deal in Buff, for them to have a decent cap hit, they had to pay him more than double his cap hit to get him under contract...

the guy better not get a serious injury during those two seasons...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote