HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs sign Josh Gorges to a 6-year extension worth a reported 3.9mill per season

Old
01-02-2012, 07:21 AM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Considering some of the responses I've read in this thread.. I can't wait to see the reactions on this board after Price re-signs for 6-8 years.. Now that will be a fun thread I tell ya..
Price is a top 5-10 goalie right now and a franchise player for us

no issue at all paying him Rinne money

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:24 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
It's not a 20 day contract. It's for 6 years. In that time span, we will most probably have some 'cup run' years. I very much doubt the late 1st or 'good' prospect we would have got for a soon to be UFA would have been a long term acquisition of the same magnitude as 6 more years of Gorges.

Not sure if anyone else commented on it, but I'm pretty sure this is the absolute earliest they could have re-signed him.
bro Rivet got us Max and Josh , dont tell me we couldn`t do it again

Old
01-02-2012, 07:26 AM
dcyhabs

On a good team Gorges would be second pairing (along with Subban). On the habs he's first pairing, no question. He's not one dimensional anymore (remember two years ago when he was like Gill with the puck? He can play it now).

Without Gorges this year the habs tank hard.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:31 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
So how much money do you think Gorges is worth if he did hit the UFA market?
as Burke would say , I dont give a rats ass what he is worth as a UFA

I have no issue for the Pens to overpay Michalek and Martin , cause they are contenders

Canucks can overpay Bieksa cause they are contenders

we are garbage what dont all of you understand

we are now the FLAMES of the east ....should of gutted years ago and kept the same knobs that wil get us nowhere

for all you Flames fans ..wtf is the point of signing Jokinen , Tanguay, Bourque , etc ...???? to extensions

we are in the same boat cause we aren`t going anywhere and major retooling needs to be done

Markov = finished get over it
Kabby= soft finesse for 2 more years
Josh= a safe stay at home # 4 for us # 5 on a great team = NO UPSIDE

Old
01-02-2012, 07:34 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

My perception of this team after this signing is that the philosophy has not changed. As long as the Habs are top notch in penalty killing all is well. As long as the Habs have great leadership all is well. Who cares about scoring. The Habs have good poster boys for their marketing campaigns. If the Habs re-sign Gill (another Gorges buddy) I'm gonna scream.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:37 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
A top pairing defensive dman like gorges is not 2.8 but do try harder.

Some people just try and take their silly little shots and end up embarrassing themselves.
top pairing on who Hamilton ?

you werent talking NHL where you

Old
01-02-2012, 07:40 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
top pairing on who Hamilton ?

you werent talking NHL where you
He plays on our top pairing and has a positive +/-. In fact he's the only D on our team with a positive +/-.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:43 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That's probably the natural move.

If Markov comes back at 100%, I'm talking for at least 10 games and has no lingering issues, then you move Kaberle. His value is much higher than it was a month ago, he has 10 points his last 11 games, a guy who can run your PP and play 20 minutes a night, 4.25 mil is not a big contract(see Wisniewski Ehrhoff etc). Having Diaz and Weber plus Subban gives us the depth needed.
folks stop smoking the good stuff

MARKOV IS DONE WITH A CAPITAL D

100% done

if he comes back to play 50 games is all we can ask for

dumb, retarded signing

Old
01-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
folks stop smoking the good stuff

MARKOV IS DONE WITH A CAPITAL D

100% done

if he comes back to play 50 games is all we can ask for

dumb, retarded signing
Yeah cause guys with ACL surgery never come back...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:47 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I don't get why people keep making a big deal about his offensive game, he is on pace for around 20 points without getting barely any PP minutes, its not like he puts up under 5 points a year. Rob Scuderi who is a similar type of player got $3.4 mill a year 3 years ago and the cap has gone up since then, there are definitely teams that would've given Gorges over $4 million if he had become a free agent.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:48 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Bieksa signed for 4.6 mil not 3.9 mil. He's had an up and down career, he's had years where he was better than gorges but he's also had years where he was terrible, played poor defense and took bad penalities and most fans wanted him gone. Gorges is not flashy and he won't singlehandedly win you games, but he is gritty and tough and will do anything to win, you know he will be there every night and he is a great leader for all the young d-men on the way.

I don't see how anybody that knows hockey(not the ones that just look at stats) would see that as a bad signing. I would have preferred 4 years and 3.5 mil but 400k will not break the bank.
Vancouver is top 5 team in the league ...not us

you can overpay to keep your own when you are WINNING

thats my point , 4 mil for Josh for 15-20 points a year and no impact does fdhfdk
for me when I can barely make the playoffs , and trust me folks its not going to get any better

we have no core and we can talk about all the kids we have and I like them but phasing in Nathan when your D is useless is not the same as learning from Kronwall or Lidstrom

trust me in 2-3 years this signing will look like crap

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 01-02-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old
01-02-2012, 07:49 AM
hockeyfan2k11

People are confusing best dman on our tea (debatable) with top pairing Dman. Gorges is a good #4 dman. I see the Habs are still handing out superstar contracts to role players. I get the feeling that the next trade will not be a tank trade, it will be a "we need to get into the playoffs trade".

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Nice signing, a bit pricey but we're buying his best years. Glad to have him back.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:51 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I don't get why people keep making a big deal about his offensive game, he is on pace for around 20 points without getting barely any PP minutes, its not like he puts up under 5 points a year. Rob Scuderi who is a similar type of player got $3.4 mill a year 3 years ago and the cap has gone up since then, there are definitely teams that would've given Gorges over $4 million if he had become a free agent.
Do you watch Gorges in the offensive zone? His shot is pathetic. He doesn't even try to hit the net. He basically just keeps the puck in and that's that. Stats don't tell the whole story. I deff want more than 1 goal a season from a guy I'm paying $4M to.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
People are confusing best dman on our tea (debatable) with top pairing Dman. Gorges is a good #4 dman. I see the Habs are still handing out superstar contracts to role players. I get the feeling that the next trade will not be a tank trade, it will be a "we need to get into the playoffs trade".
I think the problem here is that you think this is a superstar contract. That's not the reality of the nhl economic landscape.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:58 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Do you watch Gorges in the offensive zone? His shot is pathetic. He doesn't even try to hit the net. He basically just keeps the puck in and that's that. Stats don't tell the whole story. I deff want more than 1 goal a season from a guy I'm paying $4M to.
Sweet, let's trade Gorges to Tampa Bay for Bergeron and sign him for $4M, since scoring goals (not preventing them) are the only things that matter in hockey.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:06 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Sweet, let's trade Gorges to Tampa Bay for Bergeron and sign him for $4M, since scoring goals (not preventing them) are the only things that matter in hockey.
Well there's something to be said for Bergeron's shot as the Habs' powerplay continues to struggle. But hey, the Habs have two PP quarterbacks. Right now they can't even ice two meaningful PP units.

Bergeron and Gorges are entirely different so the point's moot. Frustrating though that the Habs continually let that PP shot ride off into the sunset and hand out 3.9 to a d-man who can end up in the goal himself while being overpowered in the crease.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:08 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

Are you freakin kidding me? Since when did Gorges turn into Shea Weber suddenly so he could get 6 years?

What a bunch of idiots are running this club. We're stuck with another big contract after Kaberle. A team full of average players for big dollars.

This proves to me that Gauthier is still in full control and he's not ready to leave soon. If you're the owner you don't allow this to happen if you're willing to spend this kind of money and you have great confidence in your GM.

Gauthier is worst than Peanut.
fken bang on , another average player ....BANG ON BRO

then the Chara comments on other posts

man oh man when players like Gorges gets this and we are jumping up and down
so happy that a slightly better than average , smallish non impact D man with no
UPSIDE WHATSOVER si going to be with us for the next 6 years , we need a drink

Old
01-02-2012, 08:11 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
fken bang on , another average player ....BANG ON BRO

then the Chara comments on other posts

man oh man when players like Gorges gets this and we are jumping up and down
so happy that a slightly better than average , smallish non impact D man with no
UPSIDE WHATSOVER si going to be with us for the next 6 years , we need a drink

I can do faces too. Like them?

Gorges is the best player on this team right now. So if you don't like him, you might as well cheer for another team cause baby, we got our best player locked up! Woooooooooooo! What an amazing New Years Day present!

Old
01-02-2012, 08:16 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
But your perception is based on what others make. Four million for a defensive D is quite a lot. Someone that plays in a way that we won't know if he will stay healthy in the next few years. On a team with already too big contracts. If anything we needed to SHED salaries not add to our enourmous team salary structure.
See right there proves that you don't think the problem is the Gorges contract, but rather guys like Gomez, Cammalleri, Markov and Kaberle that have big contracts and don't really contribute to the team.

We can compare him to what other defencemen make as long as you complain about his salary in terms of hurting this team, which is not HIS contract's fault.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:19 AM
LyricalLyricist

Aside from possible gomez in minors(which im not convinced of), who is likely to go to make room? 16 mil cap space and subban, price, kostitsyn, moen, diaz and emelin unsigned.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:19 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

I can do faces too. Like them?

Gorges is the best player on this team right now. So if you don't like him, you might as well cheer for another team cause baby, we got our best player locked up! Woooooooooooo! What an amazing New Years Day present!
If gorges is our best player it explains why we're losing.

Old
01-02-2012, 08:22 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
If gorges is our best player it explains why we're losing.
No, really?

It's not his fault that he's our best player.

It's not his fault that Cammalleri is Kovalev version 2.0. It's not his fault that Gomez is about one tier higher on the talent level than Juha Lind. It's not his fault that our Captain is basically a 3rd line winger getting paid like a first liner. It's not his fault that our #1 defenseman has missed the majority of two seasons.

All Josh Gorges can do is control himself (and for how good he is, his defensive partner too). The guy is a +6 on a team that has no other plus defenseman! I'm not even sure how that works out.

Old
01-02-2012, 08:23 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
No, really?

It's not his fault that he's our best player.

It's not his fault that Cammalleri is Kovalev version 2.0. It's not his fault that Gomez is about one tier higher on the talent level than Juha Lind. It's not his fault that our Captain is basically a 3rd line winger getting paid like a first liner. It's not his fault that our #1 defenseman has missed the majority of two seasons.
Where did I say it's his fault?

Old
01-02-2012, 08:26 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Where did I say it's his fault?
No where. And I didn't say that you did. I'm just stating the fact.

If we are trying to correct some of the mistakes we made with signings, this is a good way to start. Locking up a top pairing defensive defenseman is one of the smartest things we can do. For 6-years, no less.

He's going to leader our team in ES and PK time for a long time (well maybe after Markov, but we'll see when he gets back). If Gorges had any offensive game at all, the guy would be getting $5.5M+ on the open market. I wish he did have the offensive game to go with him, but unfortuantely he doesn't and he's paid accordingly.