HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs sign Josh Gorges to a 6-year extension worth a reported 3.9mill per season

Old
01-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
When Rivet was traded he was 30+ and wasn't playing at the level Gorges is right now.

That was a massive steal considering Rivet's game dropped off after the trade.
Actually , Rivet was awesome in San Jose, career high in points. Not sure where you are getting your facts from.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:06 PM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
cause you logic is flawed.

if I were using this kind of logic I'd too would come to odd conclusions like, lets say...

- we had a better record before trading Spacek, therefore Spacegoat is a better D than what we have now
- we made the PO last season with Hamrlik as our #1 D, therefore Hammer is a #1 D...
- we made the PO last season with Pyatt playing most games, therefore Pyatt should still be a Habs
- we made the PO last two seasons while Gomez was in our top 9, therefore Gomez is still top 9 material...
- we had a better record last season with Moen and Darche filling on top two lines pretty often, therefore we should have them both on our top 6...

none of it can be proven wrong... see...
For the Spacek trade he wasn't playing with us this year he was injured.

For Hamrlik replace Gorges with him and yes we are probably better this year even if Hammer is old

For the Pyatt one we was playing 5 min a game so it's not like he had any impact anyway.

Gomez is not as dominant offensively as he was before but there's actually no way to proove that he couldn't have help the having a better record this year. So maybe he is actually missed by the team right now.

For the Darche and Moen one well... Nothing has changed I think Moen played with Plekanec 2 games ago.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:09 PM
durojean

Why is it hard for you all to see that last year team was better than this year yes with Pouliot Gomez and Pyatt

Old
01-02-2012, 08:10 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Actually , Rivet was awesome in San Jose, career high in points. Not sure where you are getting your facts from.
He gets a lot of facts incorrect to try and prove his point.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:31 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post

For Hamrlik replace Gorges with him and yes we are probably better this year even if Hammer is old

For the Pyatt one we was playing 5 min a game so it's not like he had any impact anyway.

Gomez is not as dominant offensively as he was before but there's actually no way to proove that he couldn't have help the having a better record this year. So maybe he is actually missed by the team right now.

For the Darche and Moen one well... Nothing has changed I think Moen played with Plekanec 2 games ago.
Your knowledge amazes me.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:33 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Your knowledge amazes me.
So what are Josh Gorges' amazing accomplishments during the following years.......and what have the Habs' done during those years?

2007 - 2008

2008 - 2009

2009 - 2010

2010 - 2011

2011 - 2012

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:50 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

wrong, Space played half the games. and FACT is we had a better record when he was with us.

we made the PO last season with Hamrlik, looks like we're not making them this season and Hammer is gone, this is FACT.

we made the PO last season with Pyatt, that's a FACT.

Wrong, it did change, Darche isnt filling on the top 6 anymore...

besides, you're missing the point, I'm using the same kind of faulty logic you did in regards with Gorges signing (you know, yada yada, we were better last season and Gorges was injured yada yada)...

and here you are trying to prove me wrong...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:56 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
So what are Josh Gorges' amazing accomplishments during the following years.......and what have the Habs' done during those years?

2007 - 2008

2008 - 2009

2009 - 2010

2010 - 2011

2011 - 2012
tell us what the Caps accomplished with AO, or NJ with Parize, or Ott with Spezza, or BUff with Vanek, or Minn with Koivu or Nash with Sutter/Weber, or COL with Stastny...

-> NOTHING

should we assume they arent worth their contract then ? or are we smart enough to realize that one player alone cannot change the outcome of a whole season (a game or two sure)?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Why is it hard for you all to see that last year team was better than this year yes with Pouliot Gomez and Pyatt
And we were better two years ago with Dominic Moore and Lapierre.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Why take an unproven first rounder over an established, well rounded, top pairing defenseman? Gorges has been a Rock on the blueline for the past 4 years. He's a plus player every year he's played (except last year when he had the surgery) with the Habs, is a shot blocking machine and is a very respected leader on this club. An excellent leader who does all the little things that win hockey games and doesn't back down physically. Gorges signing was one of the few positive moves this club has made in a long time.
Gorges has slowed down quite a bit. And at 4 million a year you expect someone to be more of a game changer at least. He's making no difference right now.

Old
01-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
as Burke would say , I dont give a rats ass what he is worth as a UFA

I have no issue for the Pens to overpay Michalek and Martin , cause they are contenders

Canucks can overpay Bieksa cause they are contenders

we are garbage what dont all of you understand

we are now the FLAMES of the east ....should of gutted years ago and kept the same knobs that wil get us nowhere

for all you Flames fans ..wtf is the point of signing Jokinen , Tanguay, Bourque , etc ...???? to extensions

we are in the same boat cause we aren`t going anywhere and major retooling needs to be done

Markov = finished get over it
Kabby= soft finesse for 2 more years
Josh= a safe stay at home # 4 for us # 5 on a great team = NO UPSIDE
Exactly. You don't give money away on players that are from a mediocre team. It's throwing money away, rewarding mediocrity. It doesn't make any sense. It's like they are giving this money to Gorges for what he did in the past.

Old
01-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

I had no doubt he'd be signed if his knee held up.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I had no doubt he'd be signed if his knee held up.
I am surprised at the backlash though, I must admit. Maybe its just the aura of negativity going around with all the losing.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Oh and how about Gorges' agent comment?

Kevin Epp, Josh Gorges agent: "Habs would not have had to pay that much if something had been done in the summer".

And didn't ALL of us wanted to get something done during that time? So great news indeed....but Gauthier dropped the ball by not signing him earlier....And don't tell me it was due to his injury. It has nothing to do with a Markov type of injury. Gorges was playing with that injury for quite some time now.

Again though, great news! But in a world where you need every cent possible, it should have been done earlier. But I guess it comes down with your GM's expectations. Regardless, when he leaves next summer, this signing will be seen as something good he did.
Wow I hate Gauthier

We should trace back the thread when he signed that summer. That's exactly what some of us said. Personaly I thought it was a slap in the face to Gorges to give him just one year. And now that stupid GM overpays.

Old
01-02-2012, 11:19 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Calling it right now.

Markov gets traded along with Cammer and Gio if Habs are out of the playoff race before the TDL.

I have no issues with The money not the length. You don't need to put up points to be a great player and if some of you think that, then you need to go back to the 90's and watch some playoff hockey.

Gorges has been one of our best defenseman since he was traded to the Habs. He plays for the sweater and it was prove after he took a puck to the face, gushing blood, only to come back the next shift and put his body in harms way again.

That's what the Habs need. Players that want to play for the Habs.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:38 PM
compile

vCash: 611
On another note, I can't believe some of you.
You defend tooth and nail the players that are actually mediocre but the guys that give 110% every shift dont deserve crap.

I'd rather lose with 23 Josh Gorges on my team then to lose with 23 Gionta, Cammer, Subban, Pacio,Kostitsyn et al.

God some of you are completely unbareble and have 0 hockey sense. How you can critique the guy that would do anything for his team because he got a 6y/3.9m contract is just plain retarded.

To think most of you justified the acquisition of Gomez, the 5m+ contracts of Gionta (really 5m+ for a one time 60+ player) and for Cammer? I called it as soon as the news broke that Cammer = Jason Blake.

Now I completely understand why this organization is all messed up. The people in Montreal, their fans and the media.

Really does it matter that much if the coach, GM or god damn owner speaks French? Last time I check French joined Confederation, Quebec is part of Canada. I love Montreal. It's a wonderful city, and the people are amazing.
I'm honestly slowly starting to care less and less about the Habs as the city, the fans and media are sucking the history, the pride right out of the organization.

Sigh flame me I don't care. I'm going to go watch The Rocket. Good night, buone notte, bon soir.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:52 PM
durojean

My problem with Gorges is not his work ethic it's that players like him are really not that hard to find and for a lot less money.

When I compared the team of today and the team of last year I just wanted to say that LAST year, the team didn't even suffer from his injurie. We replaced him with no one and the team performances last did not change.

That fact in itself proves that he is in fact a easily replacable piece of the puzzle that is our hockey team and that he doesn't bring that much to the equation and I'm just talking about last year.

Old
01-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Stradale

Quote:
My problem with Gorges is not his work ethic it's that players like him are really not that hard to find and for a lot less money.

When I compared the team of today and the team of last year I just wanted to say that LAST year, the team didn't even suffer from his injurie. We replaced him with no one and the team performances last did not change.

That fact in itself proves that he is in fact a easily replacable piece of the puzzle that is our hockey team and that he doesn't bring that much to the equation and I'm just talking about last year.
If you want people to take your post and opinion seriously, name those defensemen that make a lot less money.

For me, Gorges is a 3.5M$ player, so he is getting 400k more than my ideal deal but its not the end of the world. Gorges contract will not hurt this team.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
If you want people to take your post and opinion seriously, name those defensemen that make a lot less money.

For me, Gorges is a 3.5M$ player, so he is getting 400k more than my ideal deal but its not the end of the world. Gorges contract will not hurt this team.
I think he meant good heart, hard working players. Darche for example is someone similar, a good heart hard-working player who doesn't have the most talent and he doesn't get that type of money. The difference is, on D you get to block shots so you have more value.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:16 AM
durojean

Frim the top of my head greene lydman salvador phillips zanon they all make less than 3 million and are comparable

Old
01-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Actually , Rivet was awesome in San Jose, career high in points.
Really? Man that's surprising. I seem to remember him dropping off too. Ah well, good for him I guess.

Regardless, still a steal for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRetina View Post
Calling it right now.

Markov gets traded along with Cammer and Gio if Habs are out of the playoff race before the TDL.
I don't see how we move Markov. That's going to be tricky with his injury problems.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I think he meant good heart, hard working players. Darche for example is someone similar, a good heart hard-working player who doesn't have the most talent and he doesn't get that type of money. The difference is, on D you get to block shots so you have more value.
Gorges is not simply good heart, hard working player a la Darche.

Gorges is actually a really effective defenseman. He might not be the biggest one, or lay the hardest hit but he know how to use his whole body to his advantage. You rarely see Gorges get beat in a one on one, you rarely see make a mistake, you rarely see him make a turnover.. but you see a lot of shots blocking, simple but effective play, dropping gloves to defend a teammate and leadership.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:46 AM
durojean

You also rarely see him make a play that is going to lead to a goal and you rarely see him play physical

Old
01-03-2012, 12:46 AM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Gorges is not simply good heart, hard working player a la Darche.

Gorges is actually a really effective defenseman. He might not be the biggest one, or lay the hardest hit but he know how to use his whole body to his advantage. You rarely see Gorges get beat in a one on one, you rarely see make a mistake, you rarely see him make a turnover.. but you see a lot of shots blocking, simple but effective play, dropping gloves to defend a teammate and leadership.
Gorges makes mistakes- ive seen them- BUt this season he has been pretrty solid- as for defending a player he usually gets his head handed to him - and its rare when he does defend a player= maybe once every 2 seasons

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Stradale

Quote:
You also rarely see him make a play that is going to lead to a goal and you rarely see him play physical
Some defensemen are getting paid for the offensive skill and some are getting paid for their defensive effectiveness... How hard is it to understand? If Gorges is as good defensively than offensively, he would have been paid 6M$+ but he's not, that's why he's getting paid 3.9M$.

He's doesn't throw the biggest hit but he's physical. Like I said, he's not the biggest guy but he knows how to use/position his body to his advantage.