HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs sign Josh Gorges to a 6-year extension worth a reported 3.9mill per season

Old
01-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

vCash: 500
I like it. And it sends the message: play like Josh and get rewarded. That's a good thing to see if you're Louis, Desharnais, Subban, etc... I think this means Gorges will wear the C one day, too.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:34 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Good deal for the habs imo

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:35 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
WOW thats a ******** of money for a #4 D with no offensive skills and no physical presence
right on bro

another bone head move by us

nothing against Josh at all but s h i t close to 4 mil for this his skill set is beyond stupid

Kronwall a top 15 D man in the league gets 4.75 and this replaceable Jorges get`s nearly 4 , cmon folks

we have too much money tied to many non productive players and none , I repeat
none is a front liner , a top pairing D man , or a top end role player like Marc Staal
who might be the best shut down d man in the league when healthy

can someone explain wtf more is Gorges going to gives us for the 30% raise we just handed him for 6 years ????

Bieksa for example got a bit too much as well , but he is a better player and his team is championship caliber for at least another 2-3 years so you can justify overpaying

we are in decline , need to rebuild and this money for Josh doesnt make sense

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I am thrilled to see Josh re-signed. No one deserves this contract more than he does. Undrafted, he had to prove himself everywhere he went and each time, he beat the odds. A true and true pro.

That being said, this situation is shining some light once again on the mismanagement from the people in charge, most notably Pierre Gauthier in this case.

When I spoke to Gorges on July 7th, he denied the rumours from Team 990 to the effect that he was asking around $4M per season. Here's the actual article:

http://habsterix.wordpress.com/2011/...3-josh-gorges/

To back this up, Marc Antoine Godin is now quoting Kevin Epp, Gorges' agent today: "Habs would not have had to pay that much if something had been done in the summer".

I've said it back then and I'll say it again: The Habs (Gauthier) gambled on the wrong guy. Markov had 3 major legs injuries in two years, including two surgeries to the same knee. Gorges would not have had surgery had it not been for the Habs insisting, as he's been playing on one knee for the past 7 years. That's the same guy who didn't miss a beat after getting a slap shot behind the head leaving a puck engraved on his helmet! Now they're stuck with Markov and his contract, and they had to overpay to keep Gorges.

Mismanagement. Period.

But better late than never. I would hate to see him wear another uniform. Captain material, not just in Kelowna, but in Montreal.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:37 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
right on bro

nothing against Josh at all but s h i t close to 4 mil for this his skill set is beyond stupid

Kronwall a top 15 D man in the league gets 4.75 and this replaceable Jorges get`s nearly 4 , cmon folks

none is a front liner , a top pairing D man , or a top end role player like Marc Staal

can someone explain wtf more is Gorges going to gives us for the 30% raise we just handed him for 6 years ????

Bieksa for example got a bit too much as well , but he is a better player and his team is championship caliber for at least another 2-3 years so you can justify overpaying

yeah, once everyone is shipped out of town and replaced with younger and chaper player, we will so have to worry about cap space...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Dr_Hook

that seems like a lot of dough for an average-sized dman with no offense at all...

But we HAD to sign him. Just had to. Heart and soul guy.

Too bad we didn't have the foresight to do this last summer ; would have been quite a bit cheaper

So a little high, but put me in the happy camper column anyway. I love the guy !!

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:39 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Great deal for the Habs. Gorges is heart and soil player.
Next, Price!
its not the first time i see this: what the hell is a heart and soil player? he'll come and plow my fields in the summer, what?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
right on bro

Paying 3.9mil for a guy that's capable of playing on the top pairing doesn't make sense?

This is a great move by the Habs, hopefully Josh gets the C in the near future.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:41 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Josh is an important player. But my issue is his play tends to be overrated on here. He's good positionally but he still has trouble moving guys from in front of the net. He also isn't that big of a physical presence. So $4M over 6 years for a 1 dimensional player who adds nothing offensively. He has the intangibles, no doubt and is a leader and great teammate, but how people can say this is a good deal and go as far to say that Gauthier should keep his job is laughable.

Any GM could have landed Gorges with that contract.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:45 PM
sheed36

Considering some of the responses I've read in this thread.. I can't wait to see the reactions on this board after Price re-signs for 6-8 years.. Now that will be a fun thread I tell ya..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:46 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Paying 3.9mil for a guy that's capable of playing on the top pairing doesn't make sense?

This is a great move by the Habs, hopefully Josh gets the C in the near future.
I like Josh a lot, but if he is in your top pair, then you don't have a very good team.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:47 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Like I said earlier.. Gorges @ 3.9 or Komi @ 4.5.. I know who I would pick.. I have absolutely no problem with this contract..
neither at that $$$

Old
01-01-2012, 05:50 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Not exactly intimidating is it?
If you switch Emelin with Kaberle in his lineup move diaz to 7th D, and sign a Gill replacement and you get a different kind of intimidating.

You can now no longer forecheck our team as hard because you always have Markov, Subban, or Kaberle moving the puck up ice.

But if only our dmen could dominate and dry hump the opposition into submission...then we would truly be contenders.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:51 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I like Josh a lot, but if he is in your top pair, then you don't have a very good team.
Realisticly if Markov can return, Gorges should be on the second pair.

3.9M is about the price your going to pay for a reliable Top 4 D-man. Of course you might get one cheaper if they on a ELC or if they hit an unexpected stride in their development that puts them there. For a player of his age, I don't see a problem.

Scuderi got 3.5M what? 3 years ago? Gorges is better than Scuderi.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
sheed36

Quote:
neither at that $$$
So how much money do you think Gorges is worth if he did hit the UFA market?

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HabFan1975

lol at people saying Gorges plays like it's his last shift everytine he's on the ice.
Of course he has to or else he can't stay in this league givin his very limited skill set and average size. It's like when a fat ugly chick does it like it's the last time she's get any because guess what, well it can always be the last time she's get any cause she's still fat and ugly.
Btw I like Gorges but he's very replaceable and I think we could've gotten a better then market value trade return at the deadline given his reputation and the price stay at home dmen fetch from contenders. Just remember what Rivet got us last time

HabFan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:57 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
You've never seen players drop off after a lengthy contract is signed. What has Gorges done to deserve six years? Sorry, just would have rathered a shorter term with Emelin and Tinordi and Diaz along with some others waiting in the wings.
Agreed , its not the contract issue at all for me

its the fact that we stink and he has no upside , he is a safe #4 dman , so what

we miss the playoffs this year , and next year gets better ? not

is Markov going to come back like Larry Robinson ? not

does Josh have upside ? not

this isnt like the Tbay signing of Hedman for 4 mil

has he put up great numbers , not yet

but he has improved , is a monster on skates , has a much better skill set and upside than Josh , thats a gamble I take for 4 mil

at worst Hedman is a 4 , he could top out to be a Seabrook type

this is if for Josh , a nice steady player , on a bad hockey team

Old
01-01-2012, 05:57 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Josh is an important player. But my issue is his play tends to be overrated on here. He's good positionally but he still has trouble moving guys from in front of the net. He also isn't that big of a physical presence. So $4M over 6 years for a 1 dimensional player who adds nothing offensively. He has the intangibles, no doubt and is a leader and great teammate, but how people can say this is a good deal and go as far to say that Gauthier should keep his job is laughable.

Any GM could have landed Gorges with that contract.
look around, players like him do get more or less the same... it's in no way overpayment...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:59 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
if he is on your top pairing God us

Old
01-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
I was hoping we'd get him around $3,5m - $3,75m, which I think we could've done if PG had signed him last summer, but $3,9m is hardly a ridiculous amount. It's at the top end of what players of his ilk are making, but with the higher taxes in Montreal I think the Canadiens have to go to the top of the scale. Gorges is worth it too.

Ideally, he should be a #3, and less than $4m is what most #3s are getting.

What we really need on this team is a legit #1 D and #1 C. Subban might get there one day, but he's not there yet.
You can put whatever # label you want on josh, but the's the guy you put out against the other team's most dangerous players, and he excels at it especially when the games get bigger.... so he is a valuable member to this club.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:01 PM
NLHabsFan

YES!!!

Hello January 1st! Glad they wasted no time with this one. Would like to see Kostitsyn locked up now too for a couple more years. Sign who you want and then start the house cleaning.

NLHabsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Gorges will be 1 of our top 6 defenseman

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:02 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
You can put whatever # label you want on josh, but the's the guy you put out against the other team's most dangerous players, and he excels at it especially when the games get bigger.... so he is a valuable member to this club.
People forget just HOW good he was in the playoffs 2 seasons ago, was probably our best-D man.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:03 PM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
It's not a 20 day contract. It's for 6 years. In that time span, we will most probably have some 'cup run' years. I very much doubt the late 1st or 'good' prospect we would have got for a soon to be UFA would have been a long term acquisition of the same magnitude as 6 more years of Gorges.

Not sure if anyone else commented on it, but I'm pretty sure this is the absolute earliest they could have re-signed him.
The thing is I don't think a defensive Travis Moen is worth four million plus that player is a depth player not a part of the core of a contending team.

Josh Gorges is not a player that make us win. The best proof of that is that we were doing fine without him last year.

A guy like Roman Hamrlik was way more useful to the team than a guy like Gorges the win column is a good proof of that.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
Gorges will be 1 of our top 6 defenseman
Why don't you skate up then, it's not a bad signing, be positive for a change!

If you can find 6 Bobby Orr's get them!!!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote