HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs sign Josh Gorges to a 6-year extension worth a reported 3.9mill per season

Old
01-01-2012, 06:05 PM
AntonCH

vCash: 500
For a little perspective
Spacek was signed for 3.83 over 3 years

At first I didn't quite like 3.9/ yr, but when compared to Spacek it doesn't look all that bad

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
People forget just HOW good he was in the playoffs 2 seasons ago, was probably our best-D man.
like I said, he gets better as the games get bigger. He's our #1 guy in defensive situations.

For those that think he is easily replaceable or overpaid, I think you should go ask Carey about him.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:07 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
He has the intangibles, no doubt and is a leader and great teammate, but how people can say this is a good deal and go as far to say that Gauthier should keep his job is laughable.

Any GM could have landed Gorges with that contract.
Not quite: any GM would land Gorges with that contract.

It's a solid move. That's what Gorges is worth.

I mean, you can say he's "one dimensional" but...that's not a very true statement at all. If you say that what he does is "one dimensional" then fine, it's a very important, if not indispensable dimension.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Hockey should always be played on ice

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:12 PM
shayne

great signing for a couple of reasons IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoundtree View Post
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=609302

Nothing about the value of the contract but good length nonetheless.
actually alot of reasons, josh earned the deal ( 6 years AAV $3.9 million), blocked shots leader, glue guy in the room, plays hurt, make no negative noise, respected around the league, should and could be team captain

more importantly, a philosophical shift in signing players mid season, sure Gauthier has made mistakes but signing josh at this time for that term for that price is not one of them, it also gives us hope that guys like price, eller, patches, PK and others will get signed before too much water is under the bridges and agents get them to test UFA opportunities

LOVE LOVE LOVE the deal, really happy, go and deal some of the vets who have underperformed, lock up the young core and let Trevor Timmins and his staff add a couple more pieces to the likes of tinordi, prybil, gallagher, beaulieu, leblanc, bournival and maybe kristo

shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
For a little perspective

At first I didn't quite like 3.9/ yr, but when compared to Spacek it doesn't look all that bad
It's better, we have a guy the wakes up opens the blinds in Morn and is
happy to be here!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:15 PM

We all liked Gorges because he was like a Pabst Blue Ribbon, he did the job at a low price but now he's approaching Heineken territory.. He's no Heineken maan...

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:15 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
For a little perspective

IDK you compare like that. Gorges term is long. Besides Spacek did have some offense. Comparing a full season he scored twice the points with a better +/-. And Spacek and Hamrlik were the shut down guys during the season. That's why Hamrlik was gassed - had to do everything because Gorges and Gill played D - that's it.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I like Josh a lot, but if he is in your top pair, then you don't have a very good team.
Agreed, although he has shown glimpses of being a tweener, who can shoulder top line minutes for a decent length in the event of injuries. Unfortunately, Markov has been gone far too long, otherwise Gorges would be on the second pairing. Considering the dollar figures typically thrown around, this is an excellent signing. About time something good happens this year, although I have to wonder if Gauthier is trying to prolong the inevitable here. It seems every time he is close to getting the pink slip, he pulls out a rabbit.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:20 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
We all liked Gorges because he was like a Pabst Blue Ribbon, he did the job at a low price but now he's approaching Heineken territory.. He's no Heineken maan...
More like we were drinking Heine for the price of Pabst. Just be glad we can continue to drink it at market value instead of only having the choice of bud light (which we might pay a premium for).

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:23 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Me = Happy. He didn't take a hometown discount but that's because of last year's 1-year deal that he obviously didn't like.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:32 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
actually alot of reasons, josh earned the deal ( 6 years AAV $3.9 million), blocked shots leader, glue guy in the room, plays hurt, make no negative noise, respected around the league, should and could be team captain

more importantly, a philosophical shift in signing players mid season, sure Gauthier has made mistakes but signing josh at this time for that term for that price is not one of them, it also gives us hope that guys like price, eller, patches, PK and others will get signed before too much water is under the bridges and agents get them to test UFA opportunities

LOVE LOVE LOVE the deal, really happy, go and deal some of the vets who have underperformed, lock up the young core and let Trevor Timmins and his staff add a couple more pieces to the likes of tinordi, prybil, gallagher, beaulieu, leblanc, bournival and maybe kristo
You put Pribyl in your group but maybe Kristo? I don't know that much about Pribyl, I'll be honest, but why put him above Kristo?

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:36 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiro View Post
Yes!!!

Too bad he never captained a team
I believe he captained The Kelowna Rockets in junior

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Kirk Muller

If its overpaid, its overpaid by maybe 300k if that. I dont know what people expect to pay for a defenseman who logs 22 minutes a night and one who steadying force, a shot block leader and a great penalty killer. If you are expecting to pay something like 3 million for that, you are seriously under-valuing defenseman

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:38 PM
EXPOS123

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
He's a good d-man but that's too much for too long. And he'll want Gill re-signed. I would have rathered he be traded for something good if the Habs are out of it. He could have always come back.

I get tired of hearing about his great leadership as the Habs are in a position to miss the playoffs. The Habs were missing Markov and Gorges and had less up front (Pacioretty injured, no Cole) and they made the playoffs last year. The Habs keep signing and acquiring these "leadership" guys. How about some real talent?

Gauthier's last move I hope.
Agree 100%. Six years is just way too much. I would not have gone more than three. As usual, people overate our players. Hes a good 5-6 defensman but contrary to what some people may want to beleive, he is not a top 4. He is a top four by default because the rest of our defense is hurt or garbage (not saying Subban is not a top four, but we have to admit he has been pretty bad this year). For all is heart and class, he is not physical nor offensive and with his size, he will eventually break down. I predict by year three he will have physically deteriorated to the point where his contract will be another albatross to add to the Habs overgrowing collection.

EXPOS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:39 PM
neofury*

How are people upset? I'm super happy. Thank god. Our general manager isn't a complete fool. I was starting to think maybe he was. I can't blame him for getting Kaberle either. Once this team has Markov, Kaberle, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Gill ex: Diaz... we'll be solid

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:41 PM
shayne

i just haven't heard much about Kristo lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
You put Pribyl in your group but maybe Kristo? I don't know that much about Pribyl, I'll be honest, but why put him above Kristo?
and i have heard that Pribyl may be a homerun, big, skilled and about 3 years younger then kristo, maybe kristo is like ryan Mcdonough in that he seems to be regressing or not meeting expectations but once he makes it to the NHL he will stick and get better and better, hope he makes it, loved him in the WCJ, his speed could help us

shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
great move here's why:

-one less ufa dman to worry about, which means trade is imminent because there is no fear of him walking away
-shift in org. philosophy of waiting for off-season to sign guys (some pro-active behavior)
-in a room filled with primadonnas and dewy softness, habs brass sends message by locking up probably the only warrior in the room and CP31's best friend - which gives him an even greater voice and thus more stability on team
I think this makes sense. I thought for sure he would be gone on July 1, oh well first time wrong in 2012.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Toastman

The only way I would have given him a deal like that is if he was captain of a minor league team at one point in his career, say for example the Kelowna Rockets?

But I think this is a good deal. Here's what other shot blocking defensive d-men are getting

Volchenkov: 4.2M
Michalek: 4M
Komisarek: 4.5M (lulz)
Marc Staal: 3.9M

I think this deal is pretty good. Not a steal, but still good.

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:44 PM
durojean

People are upset because their assesment of what he brings to the team is different than yours. I for one believe he is not that important to the team. In my head he is a faster Hal Gill without the size... I was thinking Emelin would be Gorges replacement.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:45 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
How are people upset? I'm super happy. Thank god. Our general manager isn't a complete fool. I was starting to think maybe he was. I can't blame him for getting Kaberle either. Once this team has Markov, Kaberle, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Gill ex: Diaz... we'll be solid
Most of the people I see whining here are the same who were whining in the PGT after the Tampa game about Price.. I'm starting to think there's no pleasing these people no matter what the Habs do..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
IDK you compare like that. Gorges term is long. Besides Spacek did have some offense. Comparing a full season he scored twice the points with a better +/-. And Spacek and Hamrlik were the shut down guys during the season. That's why Hamrlik was gassed - had to do everything because Gorges and Gill played D - that's it.
Did i read that right? Hamrlik was gassed because he had to everything because Gorges and Gill were also playing defense?

Gorges has been logging 20-22 minutes a night for approximately 3 years now. How much more do you want him to be doing to not make Hamrlik gassed? Thats laughable.

Gorges is in the same boat as Hammer is. He is perfectly suited for what he is doing however Montreal lacks the true 1-2 stud on defense who can play 25 minutes against top lines. Thats an organization fault not a player fault.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Toastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
People are upset because their assesment of what he brings to the team is different than yours. I for one believe he is not that important to the team. In my head he is a faster Hal Gill without the size... I was thinking Emelin would be Gorges replacement.
Umm, did you just compare Gorges to Hal Gill ???

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
neofury*

Big relief for me. Glad to have Gorges on board for 6 more years!

I knew because of his friendship with players he'd likely stay but I didn't expect it this soon. Jan 1st shows he and Gauthier were both committed to getting it done.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Halifaxhab*

Gorges' intagables and leadership make him worth it. We also lock him up during his prime years.

anyone questioning this signing

Last edited by Halifaxhab*: 02-25-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote