HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ian Cole-3 Game suspension

Old
01-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Stang

vCash: 500
Poor Ian!

Ian Cole
A busted up lip & 14 stitches. A speeding ticket coming back from the airport at 11:56pm. A newly acquired suspension. What an end to 2011.
less than 1 minute ago from Twitter for iPhone

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:09 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Poor Ian!

Ian Cole
A busted up lip & 14 stitches. A speeding ticket coming back from the airport at 11:56pm. A newly acquired suspension. What an end to 2011.
less than 1 minute ago from Twitter for iPhone
Lol, I just read that too. Poor guy is right! Also, Kerbs just tweeted this...

Chris Kerber
Must admit, I am again officially confused on how suspension lengths are decided upon by @NHLShanahan , Torres a repeat offender only 2 gms?

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Hillbillywingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Oh reckless? You mean like this? Keep drinking the kool-aid wings fans...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8SX1ujpgfM
So in that same video do you just skip over all the cross checks on Dats by jackman on purpose or is it a mistake?

Hillbillywingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
To be fair, it was 3 pre season and 5 regular season
Still longer than either of the Blues suspensions this season.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:25 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillywingsfan View Post
So in that same video do you just skip over all the cross checks on Dats by jackman on purpose or is it a mistake?
Wow! Yeah those sure were some brutal "cross-checks". You're right...Jackman totally deserved an elbow to the head! Keep drinking the kool-aid pal...I'm sure there will be plenty more served.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Hillbillywingsfan

Quote:
Wow! Yeah those sure were some brutal "cross-checks". You're right...Jackman totally deserved an elbow to the head! Keep drinking the kool-aid pal...I'm sure there will be plenty more served.
So just because it didn't put dats out of the game they are alright? and you are saying wings fans are drinking this kool-aid you keep talking about? heheh ok.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:36 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
So just because it didn't put dats out of the game they are alright? and you are saying wings fans are drinking this kool-aid you keep talking about? heheh ok.
I won't even bother...your screen name says it all. Again cheers!

Old
01-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Hillbillywingsfan

Quote:
I won't even bother...your screen name says it all. Again cheers!
You wont bother because there is nothing for you to argue. Thanks for this fun little chat we had. Have a great night there sport.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:47 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Thanks for this fun little chat we had. Have a great night there sport.
You're right, there is nothing more to argue...And yes, It's definitely been a pleasure!

Old
01-03-2012, 01:13 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

I have no issue with this suspension as long as similar incidents and situations are held to the same standards. Something does need to be done to curb the concussions.

However, the fact that Torres was only suspended two games does not bode well for such consistency in the future.

On a side note...Frankly I am surprised at some people complaining about Abdelkader not having enough situational awareness after the (at least in part rightful) indignation surrounding Perron's injury last year. Suicide passes are named that for a reason and Ericsson's pass was just as much at fault as Piertangelo's was last season.

Of course, had that been Bertuzzi/Draper/McCarty/Konstantinov on the receiving end of that hit I would have been hoping Cole would have hit him harder...but then again there are times when my personal glee at watching such punks get run down is at odds with what I know is better for the league.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:32 AM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

vCash: 50
We can all pretty much agree that NHL and Shannahan are not very consistant. All we can hope is there is some other things in the background making noise that we are not privvy to.

There are some thugs in NHL who should be penalized, but reasons left unknown.. .they get by and fly under radar without much grief from the NHL. It is a shame, but that is pretty much a staple in life anymore. Some are the gifted and some are the example to be made out of.

In this case, Cole is getting popped. Probably since he is young and wanting to make sure he does not turn into a goon later on down the road. 3 games is an eye opener, but it really is a bit extreme for a first time offense in my opinion. It won't really hurt us much since he is basically an AHL kid anyways. It happens and lets hope the rest of the league pays attention too.

The problem with these concussions is the lack of player respect. As innocent as this hit may or may not have been, it is a matter of it did happen. Of course, there is going to be more in the future but the NHL can only do so much. Ultimately it is the players and their self discipline to maintain a mutual respect amongst players.

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:19 PM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:
So that makes it okay for him to elbow him in the head?

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Hillbillywingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan View Post
So that makes it okay for him to elbow him in the head?
you mean this elbow?
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...cksjackman.jpg

Last edited by Hillbillywingsfan: 01-03-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old
01-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Celtic Note
Thanks very little

Quote:
I don't see an elbow there, just a shoulder to the face.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
The whole Datsyuk hit is getting blown way out of proportion, it was a good hard hit, between 2 hated rivals. That hit didn't deserve a suspension, but Cole's did.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Clay Squares

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
The whole Datsyuk hit is getting blown way out of proportion, it was a good hard hit, between 2 hated rivals. That hit didn't deserve a suspension, but Cole's did.
I agree. A minor at most for the hit on Jax. I think three games is a bit much but I was expecting a game or two suspension for Cole's hit.

Clay Squares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Celtic Note
Thanks very little

Quote:
This is where I stand on the issue. I am not going to get all worked up over something like this. I am more upset by our play against the wings these past two games.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:25 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 0
Jackman is a guy that has no problem sticking up for himself, so I'm not overly worried about the Datsyuk hit. If someone did that to Perron, it would be a different story.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Jackman is a guy that has no problem sticking up for himself, so I'm not overly worried about the Datsyuk hit. If someone did that to Perron, it would be a different story.
I actually thought the Perron-Thornton hit was the most comparable to Coles. A shoulder to head hit on a pass that shouldnt have been made. Thornton didnt intend to hit his head, but it happens when a player makes a play on the puck.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:26 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I don't see an elbow there, just a shoulder to the face.
That's a horrible angle and only shows initial contact...if you watch the video Datsyuk clearly follows through with an elbow as you can see his elbow pointed upward and Jackmans head swinging backward. But again, it doesn't really matter...the Nhl and Shanabans will continue to play sides. I've already admitted that Cole deserved discipline, but giving a repeat offender like Raffi Torres(who happens to play on an Nhl owned team and actually charged a player, targeted his head, and left his feet) 2 games while Cole got 3 only further proves my point. Not trying to be a "conspiracy theorist" it just seems pretty obvious that the way these suspensions are handed out is not very consistent AT ALL.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g.../jax-elb-1.jpg

Old
01-03-2012, 10:34 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous...no one ever said Datsyuk deserved a suspension. I'm actually a big fan of Datsyuk...he's one of my favorite players to watch. I was just using the hit as an example of recklessness.

Old
01-03-2012, 10:52 PM
HooliganX2

Shanny is doing an awful job. He's terribly inconsistent. He he kind of just pulls the numbers out of the air. There was no injury no intent and he's not a repeat offender. A fine or 1-2 games is the max he should have given.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:38 AM
budleydudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dangles View Post
What in the hell is that supposed to mean? If your implying the only way to play the game is like Lidstrom, that's ridiculous. Lidstrom's great, but a physical presence is a very important part to many players games. That hit has been legal for decades for this year.
You're right. It's a very big part to many players games. All I meant is what i said -- that Lidstrom doesn't have to play with a huge physical presence.

budleydudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by budleydudley View Post
You're right. It's a very big part to many players games. All I meant is what i said -- that Lidstrom doesn't have to play with a huge physical presence.
Good thing for Niklas that he does not have to.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:48 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2238
I didn't think the Datsuyk hit was a big deal. He hit Jackman straight forward on his front side, and a little bit of the shoulder ended up catching jackman's face.

The thing I have an issue with is Shanahan's video. Why does he build up all this fluff about, I don't think Cole intended to hit Abdelkader in the head, and that he was a first time offender and no injury occurred? With all that stated, I figured he'd get 1-2 games. So, first time offenders on that type of hit are going to get 3 games? I'm fine with that, if that's the case, but somehow I don't think that standard is going to be held if a more established player pulls the same hit.

I agree with whoever said it was comparable to the Thornton hit. Wasn't dirty, but just a bad situation where the head got caught more than anything else. I assumed he'd get 2 based on that, no injury, and no prior history.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote