HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Hockey Canada expecting record profit from IIHF WJC in Calgary/Edmonton

Old
01-02-2012, 02:42 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Hockey Canada expecting record profit from IIHF WJC in Calgary/Edmonton

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/01/02...ew-profit-high

Quote:
Hockey Canada is also poised to cash in with a record haul for the tournament, expected to almost triple the $7-million profit originally guaranteed by the host committee.

A Hockey Canada official told the Sun that due largely to the record attendance that saw both of Alberta’s NHL rinks sold out for every game, the event is now projected to net upwards of $18 million with a chance to surpass $20 million.

The previous record was set two years ago in Saskatoon/Regina, where organizers made just over $16 million, edging the 2009 tourney in Ottawa, where $15.8 million was made.

The tourney has come a long way in Canada of late as the fourth- and fifth-most profitable tourneys were in Vancouver in 2006 ($9.6 million) and Halifax in 2003 ($3.6 million). The 1999 edition in Winnipeg raised $1.9 million.

Of the total take this year, Hockey Canada gets 50%, which goes to recruitment and retention initiatives, e-learning programs and an upgrade to the online registration system used by every minor hockey association.
CHL gets 35%; Hockey Alberta 10%

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:20 AM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Do the Owners of the arena get anything out of that other than their cut of the concessions?

I remember going to the World Juniors in Winnipeg back in 1998-99. Had a 10-game pack in either the 2nd or 3rd most expensive seats about 12 or so rows up from the ice just inside the blue line. The package was either $230 or $280. So $23 or $28 per game. Now, those same seats would probably go for $125 per game...........and you wouldn't be able to buy a ten-pack with all of Canada's games. You would be forced to buy a 20-pack in all likelihood. How times have changed!

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Record profits for the organizers and no money for the players participating eh? Surprise, surprise. Where does the other 5% go btw?

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Evil Doctor
89 years later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
Record profits for the organizers and no money for the players participating eh? Surprise, surprise. Where does the other 5% go btw?
I would presume it goes to the IIHF. I'm surprised it's so little, I figured it would be a 50/50 sort of deal.

It would be interesting to know how this compares to the World Championships.

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Evil Doctor
89 years later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Do the Owners of the arena get anything out of that other than their cut of the concessions?

I remember going to the World Juniors in Winnipeg back in 1998-99. Had a 10-game pack in either the 2nd or 3rd most expensive seats about 12 or so rows up from the ice just inside the blue line. The package was either $230 or $280. So $23 or $28 per game. Now, those same seats would probably go for $125 per game...........and you wouldn't be able to buy a ten-pack with all of Canada's games. You would be forced to buy a 20-pack in all likelihood. How times have changed!
I still have my ticket stub from the '86 tournament in Hamilton. Game vs. the United States, upper deck, price: $6....

Last year, virtually same location in Buffalo vs Russia (round robin): $85...

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Fidel Astro

There's so much positive news about hockey in Canada lately. I love it.

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote