HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A plea to the 303: step the **** up!

Old
01-02-2012, 08:55 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
A plea to the 303: step the **** up!

For the past 3 years there has been a continuing decline of energy in the stands. Like they have been there before. Like they are taking this team for granted. The crowd was lifeless and there is absolutely NO excuse for it. I was embarrassed. I have friggin hearing loss in my left ear because of the 303's glory days. Now, there are calls for the 303 to rip down the banner. The Calgary game NEEDED the 303 and they didn't step up. How can you HONESTLY, as a fan, ask your hockey team to step up when you can't make the same effort yourselves? I wanted to scream 'HEY! 303! You wanna make some noise or are you busy doing a podcast?' or 'HEY! If you can hear this, this is your problem!' I heard more noise coming from the goal zone section with the guys and girls who are there to be seen than the cellblock.

Whatever the problem is, fix it immediately!

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:17 AM
cju1979
Radulov Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
For the past 3 years there has been a continuing decline of energy in the stands. Like they have been there before. Like they are taking this team for granted. The crowd was lifeless and there is absolutely NO excuse for it. I was embarrassed. I have friggin hearing loss in my left ear because of the 303's glory days. Now, there are calls for the 303 to rip down the banner. The Calgary game NEEDED the 303 and they didn't step up. How can you HONESTLY, as a fan, ask your hockey team to step up when you can't make the same effort yourselves? I wanted to scream 'HEY! 303! You wanna make some noise or are you busy doing a podcast?' or 'HEY! If you can hear this, this is your problem!' I heard more noise coming from the goal zone section with the guys and girls who are there to be seen than the cellblock.

Whatever the problem is, fix it immediately!

As someone who sits in the lower bowl...who cares as long as long as someone is getting into it. Personally, as a father who would love to bring his kids to the games more I could deal without the 18 ways the sheep at the game tell the other team they "suck". How bout being loud for your team without being vulgar. And stop looking down on those of us on the glass as those there to be seen. Just because we know people AND love our team doesn't make us any less fans. Yeah, there are guys and girls in the stands who don't hit forums, blogs and have fantasy teams like us but they are still bring money to the arena. Probably more than you and just because they look a lot better than the trolls upstairs, don't hate.

And to quote your private message to me exactly one year ago, "Stop using creative ways to avoid the word filter."

cju1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:46 AM
predfan98

there was about 2 minutes left in the game and calgary had pulled their goalie, as i vaguely recall.
people in our section were trying to clap and make noise and give the team a little juice...(oh, bfc....yes,the end zone people,were clapping....j/k with ya)

that is when i just wanted to rip down the cellblock sign...nothing from them , nothing. and it has been that way for a while.

i don't expect anything from any section of the arena, except when they put up those signs and plug their blogs and podcasts, and get media passes......saying they are the loudest section in the nhl..... blah...

if you want the sign and the publicity and the media pass.........walk the walk, or take it down.

i agree about the you suck..........i hate it as part of our goal celebration song. unfortunately it has become ingrained. a lot of people with kids change the words. and i hear them explaining it isn't a word you say at home or in school....

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:41 AM
NoNecksCurse

I agree bfc.. the quality of 303 has went down the toilet.. bad. hopefully they can get it back to the golden days.. as predfan98, I just think with the publicity they get they should be way louder than they are.. the sign, the website, media exposure, etc are great for them but they have to start bringing it. they are nowhere near the loudest section in the nhl. probably not even at the bridge at times .. I dont know if its just after time or being content or what.. but they need to step the heck up. I'm in no way against 303.. I support it 100% with all the "sucks".. I use to look up to them. and just hope they get it together to make for a great atmosphere.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Legionnaire11

Cellblock has been in a steady decline since the original leadership group moved sections and/or dropped their season tickets to a smaller package/single games.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:26 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

My observations are this:

*Nashville needs the 303 to be up and early so the rest of the crowd can carry the 303 the rest of the game.

*I agree with the earlier poster that you don't NEED the 303 to cheer but fact is that the 303 and the chants organize the crowd. A chorus without a conductor is just disorganized noise. The 303 is a sound magnifier and they get the crowd together to magnify the sound.

*Yeah, the 303 is reaching 'jump the shark' status.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:46 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
How bad was it? (I haven't been in the arena since 12/17 due to work/travel).

Last edited by codeyh: 01-02-2012 at 12:54 PM.
codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:37 PM
sighthndlady

It was pretty darn quiet for a sold out game that we were dominating. Then when we weren't dominating, it was even quieter. Gnash and the drum finally got something going late in the 3rd - not 303. Maybe 303 needs to come up with something new. What can we all learn to chant to encourage the team other than "lets go Predators?"

I sit in 310. We have one that we do right at the start of the game. There's one guy who yells "hit somebody" and the rest of the section yells "hard." Can we get something like that for the whole arena?

"Go Preds - Go Gold?"

I dunno. . .

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:44 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

303 does "Hit somebody... hit anybody.... hit everybody...." .. well, tries to.

Old
01-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

It is just quiet, Codey. There is no leadership going on, no initiative, and no creativity. I'll admit, I've tired of the word sucks, and I'm sure others have too. Our fan base has moved from being juveniles to adolescents and now we're moving into the older teen/young adult state where naughty words aren't nearly as exciting. Surely there are chants out there that are clean but oh, so pithy.

When the crowd yelled "You suck" after we won a series, that kind of ended it for me. That was just bad manners. Was that 303's fault? Yes and no. They got the chant going to begin with, and the fan base joined in. That was the time for 303 to put out the word that there are some times when that is NOT COOL.

315 does the Hit somebody chant too. The problem is that everyone isn't doing it together!

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:56 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
How bad was it? (I haven't been in the arena since 12/17 due to work/travel).
Codey, I sat in 304, right on the aisle next to 303.

That was the most dead I've heard that arena in a long time. That said, I don't know if that's become the norm for this season as this was the first time I've attended in-person this season.

It certainly is a departure from last season.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:08 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Thanks for the input guys, I'll get with a few of the regulars and see what we can't figure out.

Old
01-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Jarnberg

I'll say this. I have been disappointed in 303 for years. They aren't up to the standard they set. They also do not join in on other chants not started by them.

That being said, yesterday wasn't 303's fault. Every New Year's Day game is like that in Nashville. Sure they could have stepped it up, but so could everyone else. That was the quietest game in years, but I think that has to due with the date.

The arena, while this year quieter (last few years were better), has been pretty good save for this game.

But overall I do believe 303 needs to step it up.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:53 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I hate that alot of you look to a section for an invitation to cheer.

We have a loud building, and it isn't because of 303. They had a huge part in making games fun in the early years, and I do not think that should be overlooked, as the section had/has quite the following, and was a big part of the early successes of the franchise.

But like everything else in our market, it has evolved. It has gone from the sign guy, the leprechan and the guy who cuts in front of kids in wheel chairs at meet the team events (you know who you are *******) to a part of the media, to part of the lore of the the arena atmosphere. They will probably always lead the chants after a goal, which is good. It is organized and comes across well on TV. They will always lead the initial lets go predators at the begining of games and when we fall behind a team.

I think as a hockey market though, fans have more sense now (I hope) Look at the standing ovations. It isn't a 303 thing. They have tried this year to make it a 303 thing and they look like clowns when they try and force it. It is a Nashville Predator thing.

for the fans who look to a section to cheer, yell, chant, whatever, I think you are not enjoying the game as much as you could. Nor do I think calling out a group of fans out for not cheering is good either. My advise would be to do it yourself.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:12 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
They have tried this year to make it a 303 thing and they look like clowns when they try and force it.
I've even called folks out on that one...

Old
01-02-2012, 03:14 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I'll say this. I have been disappointed in 303 for years. They aren't up to the standard they set. They also do not join in on other chants not started by them.

That being said, yesterday wasn't 303's fault. Every New Year's Day game is like that in Nashville. Sure they could have stepped it up, but so could everyone else. That was the quietest game in years, but I think that has to due with the date.

The arena, while this year quieter (last few years were better), has been pretty good save for this game.

But overall I do believe 303 needs to step it up.

I agree with most of this.

The people in 303 seem to only care whenever they start chants. If another section trys to get a chant going they refuse. And I cant stand that ****. Its selfish.

Last night was an awesome game, but it was the quietest ive heard it in a long time. The Washington game this year with 15k people was much much louder.

Ive been upset with 303 lately and they need to pick it up in mostly every aspect.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:22 PM
glenngineer

I think as times change and the evolution of the team/arena has changed, 303 is becoming outdated. Like others have said, it was fun at first. I enjoyed it early on. Then as a season ticket holder it got old, very quickly. Then I blocked it out and didn't care. I've been in for 5 games this holiday season and the game day operations are much better and more fun to me. 303 are passengers as opposed to the leaders. When Mark left, it went downhill pretty quickly. As much as I didn't like Mark, he had 303 running like a well oiled machine.

I think it doesn't matter if they lead or don't lead anymore. I think it's up to individuals to get things going. The Columbus game was rocking because the team fed off the fans and the fans fed off the comeback. I go to the games to watch the games, not get caught up in the chants. It's about what's on the ice and the people I sit around. That's the enjoyment I get out of it. Being loud is one thing but enjoying the experience is another. I can do without all the suck chants.

I will say this, we need something to set us aside from other arenas. Not sure what that is but either new chants or new TV timeout traditions. Who knows but something.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 03:26 PM
gratefulpred
Thread Killer

My wife has been getting onto me about the whole "suck/sucks" thing for a while now so I use stink. Little easier on the ears when young ones are around. I had the folks sitting in front of me yesterday doing it by the end of the game. Plan on doing it again when I coem down for the Flyers visit.

gratefulpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

I continue to say that the starting lineup sucks, but it has to be with that bored expression. Putting any sort of emotion into it just ruins it. After the goal, I cheer but with rare exceptions I've stopped the "hey you suck" portion. I mean, sometimes it's warranted. ;-) I still enjoy the "Thank you Mr. Goalie Surname, May we have another...he shoots he scores you suck"...unless we just scored and they're already up by 7. Ha ha! Then I might say we suck. Or I'll keep my mouth shut and be happy we ruined a shutout or something.

Token, no, it doesn't matter WHICH section starts a cheer, but someone has to be the designated starter or you have no unity.

The standing ovations are different. They're pure emotion. They don't require a starter because everyone is feeling it.

Old
01-02-2012, 04:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

It was lifeless last night, but I don't really blame 303. I think it was a lot of indifferent attendees. I saw several Titans jerseys on people that double dipped, and I think there were a lot of "I have out of town relatives in my house, how can I get them out for a while?".

No participation in the hat trick throw, tons of people filing out with 3 minutes to go...this wasn't a typical fan's game.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:37 PM
cju1979
Radulov Convert

How bout just easy response cheers like..."Nash...ville! Nash...ville!" Something country music based like an old Hank song...I dunno. Lets put some good ones together. I am going with some family and friends this Saturday and will probably be upper bowl this time (doh!) so let's do it!

I'm from Boston and adopted the Preds as my team back around 2001 when I moved here and I am proud to be loud and you guys really get into MOST of the time. Just be glad you aren't Atlanta "fans". Even at Braves games those dopes are worthless.

cju1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
It was lifeless last night, but I don't really blame 303. I think it was a lot of indifferent attendees. I saw several Titans jerseys on people that double dipped, and I think there were a lot of "I have out of town relatives in my house, how can I get them out for a while?".

No participation in the hat trick throw, tons of people filing out with 3 minutes to go...this wasn't a typical fan's game.
double edged sword

It's not fun when the preds org was in it's darkest hour and only the diehards were there but now that there are more butts in the seats it's "bad" that the brentwooders are there not making a sound.

Last edited by TMI: 01-03-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: not necessary
Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

True enough. There were people sitting in my section I'd never seen before. Many of them may not have known what a hat trick was. Even though I'd casually followed hockey, I didn't know what a hat trick was til I started following the game more closely.

You know, I think nerves enter into games when we're the main focus. There we were, our barn on TV for all of the US and Canada...one of few times we're the featured arena and the only game on the slate--we should perform, right? And we clammed up. Same thing happened with the first home game vs. Vancouver. Of course the opponents were winning, but we fans weren't on our game either.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:54 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
double edged sword

It's not fun when the preds org was in it's darkest hour and only the diehards were there but now that there are more butts in the seats it's "bad" that the brentwooders are there not making a sound.
you hit the nail on the head.

but..... what needs to happen is the "regulars" need to show the "newbies" what (typically) makes our arena special... and get them to wonder "what are they saying?" and then ask someone nearby or go look it up after the game and come ready to join in next time.

I suspect yesterday was just a combination of new years hangover and the early start time

when push comes to shove, i feel certain the crowd will be there when the team needs them...

Last edited by TMI: 01-03-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: edited quote
PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 11:34 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

thinking about it more, I completely understand a dead barn last night.

who in their right mind gets excited to see Calgary. hungover. probably hungry. pissed about having to pay 10 bucks to park.

I mean, Calgary is right there with Minnesota, Edmonton, and Phoenix as teams you hate watching play unless you need a nap. (and before anyone gets all hot and bothered about edmonton, they are usually boring as hell, esp when the kids they have give up and start dumping pucks and changing bc they can't skate through a clogged neutral zone)

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote