HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban/Plekanec get in a tiny scrum overhyped by RDS/TSN (UPD: Skirmish w/Desharnais)

Old
01-02-2012, 04:43 PM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Plekanec is a perimeter player. He avoids physical play like the plague. Eller is a good example of someone strong on the puck / gets involved in physical situations. I doubt Plekanec ever becomes a great playoff performer, just because of that. I'm not really picking sides, by the way, its more in the sense that Plekanec can bring more to the table than he is at the moment- same goes for Cammalleri.
Plekanec is the not the same size as Eller. It's not that they are exactly equal and Pleks choses not to be as physical. He uses his smarts to get the puck and has great hands to pick the puck out and feed it. He is a passer and if he has space he DOES goes to the net. I think the fact that Cammy also tries to find open space rather than take it in himself compounds the perceived peripheral play of Pleks.

Again, additive effect. If patches wasn't sucking right now, I think last game, Pleks him and Cole would have done well.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:44 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Most teams have to deal with PK at most 6 times a year, not 82 plus practice. Pleks wants the Ws not the goals or even pts. PK wants the glory. It's probably more personal than he says it is, but I think it's just Plekanec having had enough of PK not helping the team win as a unit. Personally I have no problem with either's play but I can see how much Pleks busts his ass only to see a sometimes lackadaisical Subban not help the unit a crucial times. Add PK being MORE aggressive in practice than in a game (I'm just speculating, but it's not hard to imagine) is probably hard to swallow. Neither hatred, neither bluster, it can be more complex than two options. FWIW I don't think he loves PK and his attitude towards the game even though I think they both have winning elements.
I've seen PK over-celebrate his goals, but I've seen him do that when others score too. He's all about W's. However, the guy is clearly hard to take for some/many in the dressing room. He doesn't seem to know or accept his place as a youngster. Perhaps it's because he plays 20+ minutes a game in all situations. He is a key player, but still a young man. Whatever happened to Gill mentoring him? Did he give up?

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Classified

Didn't really like Subban at the start of last season, started to like him towards the end of last year but I don't know how I feel about him now. Dude acts like he's already a stud, he hasn't done much this year for the team that is noteworthy.

Maybe I just prefer the more humble/consistent effort of someone like Pleks* more than the in your face attitude of Subban.

*I know Pleks has been playing like a little girl lately I mean over the course of his career.

Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:15 PM
De Montreal
help

Second Time ive been saying this: id shop plekanec around hé is our only valable asset. Im confident enough with eller désherbais and leblanc

De Montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:18 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Second Time ive been saying this: id shop plekanec around hé is our only valable asset. Im confident enough with eller désherbais and leblanc
lol. Confident in finishing last overall? Desharnais having to actually line up against other teams top 6 would be guaranteed loss after guaranteed loss.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
The thing that pisses me off about this the most is that Plecs will drop the gloves with a team mate in practice, but has never dared to do it in a game. Leads me to believe one of two things. 1) He truly hates PK or 2) He is full of bluster and bravado, but very little substance.
Why would we want our best penalty killing forward and probably our best overall 4 on 4 player to get penalties, especially when he's likely a bad fighter?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:24 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Why would we want our best penalty killing forward and probably our best overall 4 on 4 player to get penalties, especially when he's likely a bad fighter?
My point is that it is out of character for him to get involved in that stuff. What possessed him to do it in practice?

Old
01-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
I've seen PK over-celebrate his goals, but I've seen him do that when others score too. He's all about W's. However, the guy is clearly hard to take for some/many in the dressing room. He doesn't seem to know or accept his place as a youngster. Perhaps it's because he plays 20+ minutes a game in all situations. He is a key player, but still a young man. Whatever happened to Gill mentoring him? Did he give up?
I don't think that the fact that he's playing 1st pairing minutes has to do with how he doesn't accept his place as a youngster. I think it has more to do with his "Wont back down/Wont take **** from no one" personality, who can be misjudged by some as cockyness.

I don't know him personally be he strikes me as the kind of guy who wants everyone to like him, but it backfires sometimes. I think all of his teammates love him, but sometimes this attitude is very inappropriate...like the guy who makes a silly joke when the tension is heavy.

His attitude reflects exactly on his play on the ice, sometimes he tries too hard to make a clever play, but it backfires...badly.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Et le But

Quote:
My point is that it is out of character for him to get involved in that stuff. What possessed him to do it in practice?
I see him get into verbal fights all the time, especially against Boston. He's probably very frustrated with himself and the team right now.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:36 PM
EmelinHipCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
The Habs should give Subban some leeway here. If you look at it right, this might be Subban trying to be a leader and pressure his teammates to do better. He seems extremely competitive, not to say reminding me somtimes of some of the really good NBA stars with a lot of pride and passion. If you put some weight behind his words and shed the vets that grumble, things might just turn around.

I may be a Bruins fan but I'm one of those rare, really crazy fans that want the Habs to do really really well so I can hate them the way I want to. It sucks some of the joy out of the NHL for me when they're irrelevant. I'm sure a lot of my compatriots will be there rooting for the Canadiens to fall apart, but I know the value of a good strong rival so I hope the Habs continue to be a good enemy.

BTW loved the first round series last year. Easily the most passionate and electric playoff series in years.
Love people like this. Good post.

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:39 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I see him get into verbal fights all the time, especially against Boston. He's probably very frustrated with himself and the team right now.
Patches uncharacteristically got into a fight in Ottawa against a player from Ottawa. Pleks uncharacteristically gets into a "fist" fight with a team mate.

PK is clearly an acquired taste when it comes to liking him. If Pleks doesn't like him, thats fine. Winning tends to solve most of these problems.

Old
01-02-2012, 05:40 PM
SeriousHabs

Out of curiosity, how often does this happen in the other markets? The ''it happens all the time!'' crowd hasn't provided much evidence.

Also, saying that Subban getting involved in such incidents is proof that he is a competitor is strange as one would expect the same behavior during the games, no? I actually notice Subban shying away from scrums and grinning like a troll while hiding behind the refs.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:49 PM
ChikN

Some people around here really want Subban out of Montreal? Wow...and I thought we had knowledgable fans...this is crazy, I can't believe i'm reading such comments...

ChikN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Out of curiosity, how often does this happen in the other markets? The ''it happens all the time!'' crowd hasn't provided much evidence.

Also, saying that Subban getting involved in such incidents is proof that he is a competitor is strange as one would expect the same behavior during the games, no? I actually notice Subban shying away from scrums and grinning like a troll while hiding behind the refs.
You read about it all the time.. I remember Leafs players getting into fights during pre season practice

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:53 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
You read about it all the time.. I remember Leafs players getting into fights during pre season practice
Yeah but that is caused by Dion's terrible music taste!

Old
01-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Hugo Sham

subban and pleks are both here to stay. the guys who need to go are Gomez and one of gionta/cammalleri as one streaky smurf is more than enough

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:55 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikN View Post
Some people around here really want Subban out of Montreal? Wow...and I thought we had knowledgable fans...this is crazy, I can't believe i'm reading such comments...
There's no pleasing some folks
I see a top 4 of
Subban Tinordi
Bealieu Emelin - Gorges
Throw in Diaz and we're looking like a balanced D corps

In 3-4 years

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:59 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikN View Post
Well to be fair, I'd send any player out of Montreal if the price was right. Saying otherwise would be like refusing to sell a $10 stock for $12. Makes no sense really.

Old
01-02-2012, 06:05 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
These kinds of things are hard to remember, because they only tend to get reported in big markets that have many media sources reporting on every single thing that happens.

I'm pretty sure that Grabovski has started a couple skirmishes in Leafs practices over the last couple years. I'm 100% sure the Bruins had a crazy practice around this time last year, where Thornton threw a couple hissy fits and Savard/Bergeron got into a shoving match that Horton broke up.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:08 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
These kinds of things are hard to remember, because they only tend to get reported in big markets that have many media sources reporting on every single thing that happens.

I'm pretty sure that Grabovski has started a couple skirmishes in Leafs practices over the last couple years. I'm 100% sure the Bruins had a crazy practice around this time last year, where Thornton threw a couple hissy fits and Savard/Bergeron got into a shoving match that Horton broke up.
In other words, it really doesn't happen all that much...

Old
01-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN79 View Post
I can't wait to see video to judge and see if its really a fight or just pushing and shoving.
TSN reported that no punches landed, so it was really just a dance.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:11 PM
ChikN

Quote:
Well to be fair, I'd send any player out of Montreal if the price was right. Saying otherwise would be like refusing to sell a $10 stock for $12. Makes no sense really.
You're totally right. And I share the same opinion...but the nature of some comments make me believe they want to get ''rid'' of him or ship him out of town for any decent offer.

Honestly it would take gross overpayment to land a young player like Subban, but some of us seem to think he's not worth much and we'd be better without him. Same thing with Price... I swear some people don't learn lessons from the previous mistakes the team did with young players.

Anyways, sometimes I think we have the team we deserve....

ChikN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Stassino

Watching the video proves everything.. everybody else in the nhl thinks..

He (PK) is a straight up pansy.. my god he was afraid of Pleks? are you freakin' kidding me.. This is why the kid gets no respect.. chirps then runs away.. then once fight is broken up starts chirping again.. someone on the team needs to knock him out.. he's a complete idiot. .

Last edited by Stassino: 01-02-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:18 PM
habtastic

I don't think anyone here dislikes PK or Pleks, I think it's just all of us and them being frustrated and each of us finding different culprits. None of us know what actually happened, so it's all based on what we think would be likely to happen in a practice. As long as "interim" captain Gorges and the others made sure that everything is cool, I'm fine with it. I think it's somewhat comparable to Ribs and Koivu in that one was a hotshot flashy upstart and the veteran who gives it his all (and who centers a first line on a team where he has to do everything). My best guess and it's only that, is that on the one on one, PK gave his an extra slash or stuck out a knee (didn't this happen with Patches and Subban?). Given the amount of injuries we have and given I wouldn't want that to happen to me, I can understand Pleks getting p'd. It looked like Pleks was provoked by PK, not the other way. Then again...just a guess. There shouldn't be any picking sides, especially in the dressing room.

And yeah, winning will fix that.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Stradale

What's with the hate on Plekanec? I know he's struggling recently.. but the whole team is. So Plekanec should be trade away now? Once a player hits a slump, he should be traded away? Plekanec is our most consistent player in the last 3-4 years. He is mister do it all, offensively or defensively just because the team is struggling and Plekanec is not carrying the team by himself does not mean with should trade him away. You guys are a ****ing joke wanting to trade away the whole team. So far, Price, Subbban, Plekanec, AK, GIonta, Gomez, Cammalleri Gorges should be trade... for consistent player that never slump like Getzlaf, Staal, Ribeiro, Lecavalier, Richards, Roy, Krejci, Stasny, Bergeron, Backes... oh wait.. They all have less points/or have a miserable season like our sissy, useless Plekanec this season.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote