HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mid-Season Press Conference

Old
01-02-2012, 05:40 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
LOL amazing video. I almost fell off my chair when I saw Juha Lind

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:54 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
like I said in previous threads, about the coach not speaking french and all, the WHOLE blame is on the Org on this.

they knew very well when they fired JM that an unilingual coach would create a HUGE storm (unless they're REALLY stupid). They did it anyway, then PG saying language can be learned, then Molson issuing a statement, and now PG talking about a new coach...

all this is a joke... not only did they miss big time thinking there wouldnt much of an issue with an unilingual coach... but the best they can find to calm things down is to throw their employee under the bus...

and all the guy is asking is a chance to prove his worth as a HC. (to other org. obviously, but still)
What he should have done is say that language has no bearing on who is coach of this team. The media would whine about it, as per usual, and eventually get bored and make up some other bull to cry and whine about.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Tusk

As lame as eveything revolving around Cunneyworth's hiring has been, I find the choice of words being used still leaves the door open for Randy if he can learn French.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Mr_Lyle

Did he give an update on Jose Theodore's condition and when he might return? I'm only asking because Marc Denis and Pierre Houde gave us 4 updates on his condition after the injury during the game, plus a very important additional update with 4 minutes to go in the 3rd telling us he won't be back for the rest of the game.

All this leads me to believe that we traded for him and I somehow missed the news.

Mr_Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
As lame as eveything revolving around Cunneyworth's hiring has been, I find the choice of words being used still leaves the door open for Randy if he can learn French.

That is true. But I cant imagine Randy having the time to invest into learning a new language when he is trying to put his fingerprints on the club, and trying to right a sinking ship. I'm sure that takes the majority of his time, then he's got a family to worry about too.

I feel really bad for cunneyworth in this scenario. I wish him the best.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:32 PM
DJ Breadman

All I got from this rubbish is that PG is an idiot and also very Ignorent if he thinks the fanbase is only people from Montreal, basically slapped all the english fans in the face. Ya know the ones that travel to montreal to watch the games and help support their economy

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:40 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Why does PG feel the need to bend over and kiss the @ss of the french media by apologizing to them for having a coach that isn't bilingual what a crock there should be no backlash for that. I say the best guy for the job regardless what friggin language he speaks.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
That is true. But I cant imagine Randy having the time to invest into learning a new language when he is trying to put his fingerprints on the club, and trying to right a sinking ship. I'm sure that takes the majority of his time, then he's got a family to worry about too.

I feel really bad for cunneyworth in this scenario. I wish him the best.
He'll have 5 months of off season to learn french.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:00 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
All I got from this rubbish is that PG is an idiot and also very Ignorent if he thinks the fanbase is only people from Montreal, basically slapped all the english fans in the face. Ya know the ones that travel to montreal to watch the games and help support their economy
Going up in Feb to see 2 games, along with hundreds others from Atlantic Canada...

The whole language thing has everyody shaking their heads...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:00 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Why does PG feel the need to bend over and kiss the @ss of the french media by apologizing to them for having a coach that isn't bilingual what a crock there should be no backlash for that.
It was strange indeed. Especially since 80% of those losers in the media wouldn't even have jobs if the Habs didn't exist. Would be hilarious if suddenly they started banning the troublemakers from the arena...They'd be out of a job in 2 seconds and many of them are borderline retards that wouldn't be able to find other work.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
There are multiple ways to deflect blame. Some are way more obvious than others. That said, I agree, I don't expect him to commit seppuku in front of everyone but how he did it wasn't exactly a rallying cry. Leadership starts from the top. Those questions were obvious, he knew he'd get asked some variations of those questions. He had to have answers prepared that would communicate exactly the right vibe to the rest of the org and the fans. Those answers definitely didn't communicate anything good to me as a fan. But I'm just one guy with one opinion.
This comes back to the exchange we had not long ago and why I think his personality and obvious lack of PR know-how has already sealed his fate, no matter how many good moves he made prior or will afterwards. A GM for this organization has to project leadership and competence to fans and media, otherwise he's going to get killed as soon as he falters, without having a chance to build something positive over the average GM shelf life (5 years or so).

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:49 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
weirdo has no business being a GM at all, let alone montreal. he was in over his head before the lockout and in a market like montreal where he was essentially given the job by boivin, he's been a dysfunctional disaster with both public relations and professional competency

when gainey was stepping down, he wanted brisebois, boivin said 'gauthier' - that's from an insider source so you can take or leave it.
ps why do people think boivin is gone? i'll tell you why because he was an adviser for peladeau bid to buy from Gillette..so he bet on wrong horse and was fortunately canned
I have always despised Boivin for various reasons. This is one more reason to lay blame on Boivin for the pitiful performance of this team on the ice while the cash registers were getting filled with higher ticket prices.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:56 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
What he should have done is say that language has no bearing on who is coach of this team. The media would whine about it, as per usual, and eventually get bored and make up some other bull to cry and whine about.
surprised you say that since it says Montreal below your avatar...

you should know by now that medias could very well ride such a story all year long.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:15 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Going up in Feb to see 2 games, along with hundreds others from Atlantic Canada...

The whole language thing has everyody shaking their heads...
I'm from Atlantic Canada and i'm going up at the end of this month i'm pretty pissed with what's going on, I've been up before not sure about going in the future, but I know lots of people from here that go up every year. People are not pleased with this having to speak french garbage. I was reading an article in the Vancouver Sun about it, they talked to burrows and max lappy, they both said they can understand that's it's more convenient for the media if you can speak french but both guys said if you win the fans in MTL don't care about speaking french or not.

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
I'm from Atlantic Canada and i'm going up at the end of this month i'm pretty pissed with what's going on, I've been up before not sure about going in the future, but I know lots of people from here that go up every year. People are not pleased with this having to speak french garbage. I was reading an article in the Vancouver Sun about it, they talked to burrows and max lappy, they both said they can understand that's it's more convenient for the media if you can speak french but both guys said if you win the fans in MTL don't care about speaking french or not.
and they're right. personally i think the coach should speak the language of winning and i'm a bilingual montrealer, but i get the need for a bilingual coach as a form of outreach, as a significant % of the fanbase speaks only french. that being said, every single francophone who i know and don't know (but who call in to all the anglo sports radio shows) say it's only about winning. there are approx 3/4 in the franco news, mostly dinosaurs like raymond and tremblay and the two-faced francois gagnon - and lately Philippe cantin who actually give a **** about this...guys like godin, brunet, even lavoie etc are younger, progressive, bilingual montrealers who appear to have 0 language agenda and prefer to discuss hockey

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

By having a monolingual anglophone coach for the rest of the season Gauthier is teaching the French media a lesson. He's obliging them to conduct their interviews with the coach of le Canadien, le Club de Hockey Montréal, in the language they seem to despise but must use. They have to take the time to translate their notes or tapes, thereby delaying their arrival at their homes. In other words, Gauthier is inflicting unpaid overtime on them. May their suppers grow cold!

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Yet again, this is totally irrelevant. 'Cause before you win, you have to take decisions. And until you win, you will be blamed and bashed for taking the decisions you take. Unless your name is Carey Price and that on a personal performance alone you can shut up people, you will not be able to shut up a whole mass before you are a winning team. Add the fact that everybody recognizes that before we are a winning team à la Red Wings or today's Bruins, they're plenty of stuff to do. So what do you do before it happens? Much easier to buy time with a french coach. Would also be easier to do with 4, 5, or 6 francophone and useful players. And then you build a team to win. The distraction from now on will be way too much if you close your ears to the crowd and media and just hire anglos all over the place.

So, yes if you can tell me that with Cunneyworth, we'd win 82 games. I would say to take him.....but in what world is everybody living? You can't promise me that. We don't have the pedigree to do so. We went from a franchise who everybody was looking to, to just your regular average franchise. The language factor is there and will always be there. Deal with it or change teams. Strange that we keep reading in here that if people aren't happy with the composition of the team, they should wait for the Nords to come and change allegeance. Well same applies for the ones who do not agree with that coaching policy. I can tell you right now that the day we have some kind of great management, you will not mind that the coach speaks french.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Habs

Quote:
Well said, he is an ignorant piece of **** who once again proved why he is unfit for this job. I hate Molson for even letting this clown represent this team, as he ignores the non french speaking fans.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Kriss E

Not sure why everybody feels bad for Cunneyworth. The man is not an idiot and even if he inherited a ''mess'', he is coaching for a job. This is an opportunity for him, if he is not ready to coach the Mtl Canadiens, then he is not ready to coach in the NHL, as simple as that. There might be a few outside extra factors he has to deal with, like the language issue and the media hoopla, but coaching a hockey team in the NHL is the same in every city.
If he does well, he will have no problem getting a job outside Mtl if ever they decide the language issue is too important to overlook.
If he doesn't do well due to on ice coaching (which is currently the case), then he won't deserve another head coaching job no matter where.

I understand he wasn't placed in the ideal situation, but the man has a chance to coach an important team, he won't get any pity from me.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not sure why everybody feels bad for Cunneyworth. The man is not an idiot and even if he inherited a ''mess'', he is coaching for a job. This is an opportunity for him, if he is not ready to coach the Mtl Canadiens, then he is not ready to coach in the NHL, as simple as that. There might be a few outside extra factors he has to deal with, like the language issue and the media hoopla, but coaching a hockey team in the NHL is the same in every city.
If he does well, he will have no problem getting a job outside Mtl if ever they decide the language issue is too important to overlook.
If he doesn't do well due to on ice coaching (which is currently the case), then he won't deserve another head coaching job no matter where.

I understand he wasn't placed in the ideal situation, but the man has a chance to coach an important team, he won't get any pity from me.
Strange isn't it? Ask Don Lever about coaching as well. And other guys in the business. If he did great and can't be a Habs candidate, he'd be a candidate for other teams. Keep hearing those reports that people in the NHL compare him to Dineen. Well they'll hire him then the day he's not on our team.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Strange isn't it? Ask Don Lever about coaching as well. And other guys in the business. If he did great and can't be a Habs candidate, he'd be a candidate for other teams. Keep hearing those reports that people in the NHL compare him to Dineen. Well they'll hire him then the day he's not on our team.
Time will tell right?
I also heard that he was the next in line to get a job in the NHL. McGuire said there is no doubt in his mind that RC is ready for a head coaching job in the NHL, just not in Mtl.
That made no sense in my mind. You either are ready or not. There is no difference in line matching, whether it's in Mtl or Columbus, or player management if it's in Toronto or Detroit, or team preparation in Colorado as opposed to Winnipeg.
Maybe he doesn't have the players that correspond to his philosophies, but that doesn't excuse certain coaching decisions he's made.
Like I said, time will tell, but if things don't improve, I have a hard time believing he'll get a head coaching job anywhere in the NHL next year.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:13 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
By having a monolingual anglophone coach for the rest of the season Gauthier is teaching the French media a lesson. He's obliging them to conduct their interviews with the coach of le Canadien, le Club de Hockey Montréal, in the language they seem to despise but must use. They have to take the time to translate their notes or tapes, thereby delaying their arrival at their homes. In other words, Gauthier is inflicting unpaid overtime on them. May their suppers grow cold!
considering he did the whole thing wrong, he would be retarded to teach anyone's lessons on the matter...

Old
01-02-2012, 09:20 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Well said, he is an ignorant piece of **** who once again proved why he is unfit for this job. I hate Molson for even letting this clown represent this team, as he ignores the non french speaking fans.

Old
01-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

This organization needs leadership, and badly.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Lyle View Post
Did he give an update on Jose Theodore's condition and when he might return? I'm only asking because Marc Denis and Pierre Houde gave us 4 updates on his condition after the injury during the game, plus a very important additional update with 4 minutes to go in the 3rd telling us he won't be back for the rest of the game.

All this leads me to believe that we traded for him and I somehow missed the news.
Hilarious...this made me laugh! Good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Time will tell right?
I also heard that he was the next in line to get a job in the NHL. McGuire said there is no doubt in his mind that RC is ready for a head coaching job in the NHL, just not in Mtl.
That made no sense in my mind. You either are ready or not. There is no difference in line matching, whether it's in Mtl or Columbus, or player management if it's in Toronto or Detroit, or team preparation in Colorado as opposed to Winnipeg.
Maybe he doesn't have the players that correspond to his philosophies, but that doesn't excuse certain coaching decisions he's made.
Like I said, time will tell, but if things don't improve, I have a hard time believing he'll get a head coaching job anywhere in the NHL next year.
I do think the Montreal environment is totally different than another city like Columbus especially when your owner and GM both reveal to the world that you're likely a lame duck in terms of job security. Players read the papers and even if they want to support their coach, it's human nature to let up a bit when you know your boss likely isn't there for the long-term. If things don't work out in Montreal, Cunneyworth will land on his feet somewhere else. He has a great pedigree and has been a valuable asset/contributor as a coach in more than one organization.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote