HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mid-Season Press Conference

Old
01-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
If firing JM was strictly and simply to get rid of him without having a proper replacement, e.g. replacing JM with a guy with the "Interim Coach" label on his forehead, then this organisation is full of incompetence. What exactly were they hoping for by firing JM and put an interim coach in the driver's seat? It just doesn't make sense. Therefore, I do not think PG himself made that decision; it was probably a fan who made that decision: G. Molson. On the other hand, if that decision was solely PG's, then I do not think he initially meant for RC just to be an interim coach.
I'm still trying to figure it out myself. I did think for a second that the plan was to rebuild and put a cross on the season, but that doesn't really align with the acquisition of Kaberle. So the only solution is that it was a panic move.
Firing the assistant coach had already be done, a trade that sent a very well liked guy away was also done, the only thing left to do was to fire the coach.
I don't think Molson had anything to do with it. It was all Gauthier imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
As for the players being proud, sure but that doesn't necessarily translate into playing as a team effectively. For that, you need an established coach who have mileage with the team and the players and someone who's meant to stay for the long haul. Playing for an (interim) coach that won't be here next year is very different for the players mentality, even if they are proud -- it's just human nature. Of course, there are players who will always give their 100% no matter the coach but, it only takes a few players to "slack" a bit or play a bit more selfish and the team is headed in the wrong direction.
Enough with the human nature crap already. We were not so far off a PO spot when Martin got fired. The players did not quit on RC, and they still haven't. The coaching decisions are just not as good, and really shows that JM truly did get the most out of his team.
The players had a chance to turn things around, go on a winning streak on the road, and come back home in a PO spot. It went the complete other way and it has nothing to do with having an interim coach. That is the worst excuse ever.
I don't think any of our players are slacking btw, nor do I believe any player can be considered ''slackers''. Players have different styles, some are inconsistent, some are not. Fans like to whine about inconsistency as if it's a personal choice, as if AK wakes up and tells himself ''today, Wednesday, is I skate slow Day''. It's very tough to give out 100% every game for 6months, when you sometimes play on average once every two days. It's not just a leisurely skate they're having. They are blocking shots, dishing out hits, and receiving hits. Fatigue is both mental and physical.
It can happen that some are uninspired for different reasons, but that's not the case here as our players are playing the exact same way they always have.

I don't believe in much of the cliché crap fans spit out.
I don't think any of the players have taken their foot off the gas because the coach is an interim one. The coach doesn't match up the lines as well as JM did, that's the reason why RC lost so many games. Absolutely nothing to do with being on interim.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:30 AM
neofury*

The Kaberle deal might have been a deal made for the future. Thing is he is signed 2 years more, we got him for basically nothing and our D wasn't going to get tremendously better by adding him. It isn't like he's the difference between 8th and 10th or 12th and 15th. In order for him to be a real difference maker he needs to be surrounded with guys who can finish and have good chemistry with them.

I think the idea is that next year unless Markov is finished we'd have

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Gorges
Kaberle-UFA
Diaz/Weber

Acquiring Kaberle doesn't necessarily mean we aren't tanking, we basically traded a guy who is better defensively but much worse offensively for a guy who is solid offensively but a bit worse defensively. It seems like a no-brainer if we don't lose any key pieces. At the time I was upset cause Kaberle was mediocre in Boston and Carolina, but 7pts in 10 games with a struggling offensive team is good. I have a bit more faith now, anyways point is this move may have no reflection on whether or not we're rebuilding. Kaberle for 2 more years could easily help us during the re-tool phase and then when a guy like Beaulieu is ready he'll be gone.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Hugo Sham

Farber with another entertaining article
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=nhl_t11_a1

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Farber with another entertaining article
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=nhl_t11_a1
Interesting line:

The previous owner, the avuncular George Gillett Jr., who bought (and helped revive) a distressed franchise when no local ownership was interested, was peddling snake oil. Molson, by definition and tradition, is peddling beer.

I think it's too early to tell if Molson is peddling anything other than hockey entertainment, as he and the ownership group as a whole are not that tied into the Quebec beer drinking market. Gate revenue and TV viewership is more important that what suds are flowing.

But this is definitely a very cynical view of Gillett.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote