HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What blade hollow would work for me?

Old
12-25-2011, 07:55 PM
DelZottoLover

vCash: 500
What blade hollow would work for me?

I recently just posted a thread about fitting skates for narrow women feet. I weigh 105 lbs and am 20 years old. What blade hollow would be best for me when skating? I can never seem to get a good grip on my edges which limits me to turn or stop. I live in FL there aren't any real good "pro shops" out here.

DelZottoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Saved*

Probably around 3/16ths to 1/4ths

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 12:02 AM
ArrogantOwl

Have you ever skated on those hollows? Those are stupidly deep. Unless the OP is an experienced skater that sounds like a good way to break your ankle.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:00 AM
hyster110

i would start with 5/8th and then go from there

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The first thing would be to find a place that does a consistent job sharpening skates. Don't want a place that's 1/2" one day and 3/4" the next. I'd start with 3/8". It's pretty sharp. I'm guessing the warmer ice in FL would help catch the edges though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Torquenstein

vCash: 490
I would suggest you try 3/8" A lot of the girls in our junior team use that cut.

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:16 AM
AIREAYE

The 'standard' is 1/2" and while these guys are suggesting things shallower or deeper, it's up to you to use what you find comfortable. Like Jarick said however, a good sharpener is key; make sure your edges are balanced too.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:39 PM
DelZottoLover

Thank you everyone i'll post an update next time I get on the ice

Old
12-26-2011, 05:29 PM
beth

What are you skating on now? I'm 115 and skate on 1/2". Are you new to skating? It's easier to learn how to stop and pivot on a shallower hollow. My (squirt) daughter is lighter than both of us and she's got 5/8" on her skates.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:42 PM
forbs02
Blergh

Don't go deeper than 1/2". I would guess you aren't getting any bite because your edges aren't even. Find a good sharpener and stick with them. As your skating improves, try to go shallower. I used to skate on 1/2" but have gone down to 5/8" and it is great.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

When I first started again as an adult I used 3/8" to learn my edges. I'm 5'8 and was about 180-ish at the time. Worked fine for me. With your weight you can give it a try.

Old
12-27-2011, 11:30 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoLover View Post
I recently just posted a thread about fitting skates for narrow women feet. I weigh 105 lbs and am 20 years old. What blade hollow would be best for me when skating? I can never seem to get a good grip on my edges which limits me to turn or stop. I live in FL there aren't any real good "pro shops" out here.
How bout trying the blackstone (flat bottom V) cut? It bites only in turns and stopping, seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:10 PM
DJnet65

My advice to you is to find what hollow you are currently skating on right now and if you do decide to change hollows make the changes gradually.

Don't go from a 5/8ths cut to a 3/8th's because it will be extremely different and I've seen people get injured from making drastic chages to their skating hollow.

If you want more bite go up to the next deeper hollow.

If you are at 1/2 cut go to 7/16th's or 3/8ths if the shop doesn't have the 7/16th available.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Stickmata

1/2" properly balanced. If you're still having problems, it's not your hollow. Learn to skate on a 1/2" and then play with it from there. The difference between 1/8" on a hollow is not going to materially affect your skating. Learn to feel your edges. I start every session with really aggressive, one legged C cuts, jumping from leg to leg, just to get a feel for my edges. My guess is you're just not loading your edges properly.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:31 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Go FBV 90/75

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:32 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Since you live in Florida, the ice is likely soft, more reason to go with a flat hollow. If you go with an ROH 7/8 if you go with a FBV go 90/75

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Again she's 105 pounds though. A deeper hollow isn't out of the question.

Old
12-28-2011, 12:56 PM
DelZottoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
What are you skating on now? I'm 115 and skate on 1/2". Are you new to skating? It's easier to learn how to stop and pivot on a shallower hollow. My (squirt) daughter is lighter than both of us and she's got 5/8" on her skates.
I actually have no idea what i'm skating on right now I'm new to skating, always wanted to play hockey since I was little but never got to because there were very little girls teams. It's very nice to see more women's leagues out there and more women playing today! Anyway, I think I might go for the 3/8" or 1/2" I'm going to post pictures up here in a bit of how my foot fits in the skate boot. My skates might be the problem too.

Old
12-28-2011, 12:58 PM
DelZottoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzerson View Post
Since you live in Florida, the ice is likely soft, more reason to go with a flat hollow. If you go with an ROH 7/8 if you go with a FBV go 90/75
The ice was a little dull actually, I arrived later at the rink when it was very crowded so the ice definitely wasn't "fresh" Is the FBV cut better? If I could actually find find a good sharpener here in FL -_-

Old
12-28-2011, 10:31 PM
rwr

I wouldn't recommend a flat bottom sharpening for you. But I think the best advise your getting is start with 1/2 and then get sharper if you don't like 1/2

rwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 03:20 PM
DelZottoLover

Hey guys so I went skating last night with a friend, and got my skates to a 1/2 in. I did great on them!!! Still need to practice stopping and turning though...i can only go forwards i'm still learning. Thanks for everyones advice!

I do have another question though, when I put my skates on I can't seem to feel the toe box. I know your feet are supposed to slide up and feather the toe box but my toes don't. Should I go a size below?

Old
01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
rwr

Quote:
Hey guys so I went skating last night with a friend, and got my skates to a 1/2 in. I did great on them!!! Still need to practice stopping and turning though...i can only go forwards i'm still learning. Thanks for everyones advice!

I do have another question though, when I put my skates on I can't seem to feel the toe box. I know your feet are supposed to slide up and feather the toe box but my toes don't. Should I go a size below?

when your skate is on, can you slide your foot all the way to the front and slide your fingers behind your heel into your skate?

rwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The toe aspect is personal preference, some people don't want it touching at all, some want it brushing, some people want their toes crammed in.

The heel advice is excellent though. Put the skate on, stand up, bend you knees, etc. You don't want any gap or movement in the heel. That's where the boot locks into place.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:12 PM
DelZottoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr View Post
when your skate is on, can you slide your foot all the way to the front and slide your fingers behind your heel into your skate?
No it stays locked in making my foot completely stay still. They are comfortable though but it just makes me want to stand on my tip toes when i'm ice skating

Old
01-03-2012, 11:13 PM
DelZottoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The toe aspect is personal preference, some people don't want it touching at all, some want it brushing, some people want their toes crammed in.

The heel advice is excellent though. Put the skate on, stand up, bend you knees, etc. You don't want any gap or movement in the heel. That's where the boot locks into place.
If they brush against the front, would that help me not stand on my tip toes? Because when i'm skating I seem to go to that position when i'm straight (not bending my knees)