HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

green biscuit training puck

Old
12-27-2011, 07:17 AM
DarrenBanks56

vCash: 500
green biscuit training puck

Does anyone have this thing??
Ive read reviews and its supposed to be pretty good, but it looks like it will explode after a couple slappers off the post.

Would this be good to use in an indoor roller hockey surface (sportcourt).

It seems as though the design of this puck keeps it from going on edge and bouncing around alot. And that happens way too much with all other roller hockey pucks out there now.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:32 AM
RAYClovis

It's a great for training and passing. Definitely not a roller puck you want to play a game with though.

RAYClovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:10 AM
ArrogantOwl

Ray has it right. Put it off a pipe on with a decently hard shot and it'll shatter. I was a sad panda.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's fun for passing on a court. It will break with shooting though and it feels too heavy for stickhandling compared to on ice.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Stickmata

I have a bunch of these that my son and I use on our Sport Court. They will break, but not that easily. I rip them off the post of a regulation goal all the time. Once in a while they will break, but they typically stand up to a lot of abuse. They're definately better than practicing with a roller puck. But the best to practice with are the blue Fly Pucks. They're heavier and better mimic a real ice shot than the green biscuit.

The biggest thing to look out for with the green biscuit are richochets. If you are using a real metal hockey goal, these things will sometimes come off the posts like a bullet. Do not let anyone stand within 15 feet of the goal if you are taking hard shots.

To your point, no, these things would suck in a game.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:25 AM
AIREAYE

I highly recommend this product...for passing and stickhandling only. It was never designed to be shot, so the fault doesn't lie with the product. Excellent for use on concrete/ashphalt and it slides very well. I could send you an 'x' foot pass and it will stay flat.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:49 PM
r3cc0s

So I have a smart hockey ball, the biscuit and grew up with tennis ball & golf ball

for learning quick hands and feel: Smart hockey ball & golf ball
for passing: Green Biscuit

IMO the Smart Hockey Ball feels the most natural, but you can't use tape on your stick.. it has to still simulate sliding

Yes the biscuit is the pefect puck size, but the weight of it is un-natural and as it is friction based, the glide too is not nearly a good enough immitation of puck on ice.

Using a tennis ball for "ball hockey" is far from natural, but allows you to develop soft hands and quick reflexes to cushin down the bounces. Its not great for shooting or passing, but great for reaction.

The golf ball, is also good for reaction and quick hands for individual training... it slides on all surfaces and you have to learn to control and dampen a small item that can be unpreditable

at the end of the day, nothing is perfect but the smart hockey ball can be used to shoot (quite well really) and is probably the best to simulate true puck handling on dry-land.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:22 AM
noobman

I have one and I like it. It's great for passing and even stickhandling, but I wouldn't start taking shots with it. I used to use it in my garage on a daily basis until I had to start parking my car in there.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:46 AM
izzy3

Me and my buddies even used it for some pickup games in the sommer. It did not break (honestly, how many times do you hit a post with a perfect slapshot?). Only thing: we used it around 4-5 times for 2 hours each on relatively rough asphalt, and it did lose a lot of it's initial height. It should survive on smooth surfaces better though.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:08 PM
GmC

I have one and only use for passing/stickhandling.

Before I made my purchase I looked up a few reviews on it, pretty much all summed it up, not for shooting. The design is for practicing stickhandling and quick hands so that it does not fiip over.

GmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:33 PM
rwr

The company that makes these says not to shoot with them, they are used to sharpen your puck handling skills. If it breaks on a shot they will not replace.

rwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Stickmata

Just to reiterate, I shoot with these all the time and they rarely break. I have a Sport Court behind my house with a pro hockey goal. I ring these off the posts all the time and they break very infrequently. Once in a blue moon I will chip one. I know they're not designed for that, but they hold up very well to shooting. As I mentioned above, the bigger problem with shooting is the way they richochet. I've lost a dozen of them in the creek behind my house after they rung off the cross bar and shot up over the fence. If people hang around the net while you're shooting these they will eventually lose an eye or some teeth.

I will say this, shooting with these is far superior to shooting with a roller hockey puck, if you are looking to work on your ice shot.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Pucks have a pretty good bounce too. I usually lose a couple on the roof of the rink next to the shooting range, which is probably 30 feet back/above the net, which is already in a baseball cage. Pucks will also bounce off the bar and fly a good 30-40 feet back too. Probably because they get bouncy in the summer time.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

The green biscuit is definitely worth buying. One of my fav stickhandling tools but not really meant for shooting.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:57 PM
AIREAYE

Stickmata is right about the rebounds. These guys rocket back at you like nothing else. Whenever I miss a pass and it rebounds off the concrete wall of a school (yard) I play on, it comes back better than any ball...stays flat too.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Not to change the subject but do any of you have any experience with the Swedish wooden stick handling balls and how do they compare to the green biscuit? I'm waiting for one to arrive today.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:35 PM
ArrogantOwl

They're fast for sure, but for developing soft hands I wouldn't recommend them. They all die on the blade of my stick. Transitioning to a puck is also awkward, but what do I know, I can barely skate or stick handle.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Guffaw

I have one and use it for stickhandling only on blacktop and concrete. I also have a 4'x4' white plastic board that I use it on, but it slides too easily. Ideally I'll use a real puck and some silicone spray on the board, but the green biscuit is fine for the garage/driveway.

I taped 200 grams of wheel weights on an old stick and use that with the green biscuit which has helped my wrist/forearm strength.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
thing is amazing, even on the worst of surfaces.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote