HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Winter Classic, Monday, January 2 at 1 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Icedog2735

vCash: 500
2012 Winter Classic, Monday, January 2 at 1 p.m. ET

Hopefully a Winter Classic official announcement from CBP with the Phils on the road the next two weeks ... any STH or anyone with any inside info???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...inter-classic/

MOD EDIT TO HIGHLIGHT SOME OF THE MAIN EVENTS:

HBO 24/7: FLYERS-RANGERS Road to the Winter Classic

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=605716

Quote:
HBO Sports’ groundbreaking “24/7” reality franchise, which has captured 14 Sports Emmy® Awards, will again join forces with the National Hockey League® to take viewers inside one of the NHL’s great rivalries – the Philadelphia Flyers and the New York Rangers. 24/7 FLYERS/RANGERS: ROAD TO THE NHL WINTER CLASSIC will follow the two clubs simultaneously, chronicling their highs and lows each week. The build-up and excitement surrounding the rivalry reaches its apex when they meet in the fifth edition of the NHL’s annual outdoor game – 2012 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic on Jan. 2 at Citizens Bank Park™ in Philadelphia.

Episode #1
Wednesday, Dec. 14 (10:00-11:00 p.m. ET/PT)

* HBO On Demand availability begins: Dec. 19 *

Other HBO playdates:
Dec. 14 (11:00 p.m.)
Dec. 15 (5:45 p.m., midnight)
Dec. 16 (11:30 a.m., 8:00 p.m.)
Dec. 17 (10:00 a.m., 10:45 p.m.)
Dec. 18 (10:00 a.m.)
Dec. 19 (6:30 p.m., 2:55 a.m.)
Dec. 31 (10:00 a.m.)
Jan. 1 (9:00 a.m.)
Jan. 2 (6:45 a.m. and 1:55 a.m.)

HBO2 playdates:
Dec. 18 (11:00 p.m.)
Dec. 20 (8:00 p.m.)
Jan. 2 (8:00 a.m.)

ALUMNI GAME: FLYERS vs. RANGERS, Saturday, December 31 at 1:00 p.m. ET

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=603142

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers, in conjunction with the National Hockey League, today announced their roster for the 2012 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Alumni Game, to be played on the outdoor ice surface at Citizens Bank Park on Saturday, December 31 at 1 p.m.

“It gives me great pleasure to see so many of our great alumni come back to play in this historic game at Citizens Bark Park," said Comcast-Spectacor Chairman and Flyers founder Ed Snider. "It truly is a remarkable gathering of many of the greatest players to ever wear the orange and black. It will be a thrill for all of us to see these greats back on the ice one more time on December 31. I cannot wait!"
WINTER CLASSIC: FLYERS vs. RANGERS, Monday, January 2 at 1:00 p.m. ET

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=73677

Quote:
Classic Comes to PhillyFlyers-Rangers Battle Outdoors At Citizens Bank Park

Philadelphia, Pa. – September 26, 2011 – The Philadelphia Flyers and New York Rangers will face off on a national stage when the two teams clash outdoors at Citizens Bank Park in the 2012 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic on Monday, January 2 at 1 p.m.

"The NHL Winter Classic is arguably the biggest game played during the NHL's regular season and it is a wonderful platform to feature our great sport to millions of worldwide viewers," said Comcast-Spectacor Chairman and Philadelphia Flyers founder Ed Snider. "It's an honor for the Philadelphia Flyers to serve as ambassadors for the NHL. We look forward to hosting the Winter Classic in Philadelphia and showcasing our great city to hockey fans throughout North America."

“This is a tremendous honor to once again be participating in this historic event, and what makes it even more special is to be playing the game in Philadelphia at Citizens Bank Park,” said Comcast-Spectacor President Peter Luukko. “I know our fans will make this one of the most celebrated Winter Classics ever. We look forward to extending the Philadelphia-New York rivalry when we face-off against the Rangers at Citizens Bank Park.”

The 43,500-seat ballpark will be the setting for the fifth-ever Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic, which will feature several of the biggest names in hockey. The Flyers boast an All-Star roster that includes two Hart Trophy winners – Chris Pronger and Jaromir Jagr – and key members of the team that won the 2010 Eastern Conference championship, including Danny Briere, Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell. The Rangers counter with NHL All-Stars of their own in goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, forward Marian Gaborik, defenseman Marc Staal and 2004 Conn Smythe Trophy winner Brad Richards.

Division rivals since the 1974–75 season, the Rangers and Flyers become the closest geographic rivals to compete in the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic. The on-ice familiarity stems from the fact that the Rangers are the Flyers’ all-time most-common opponent in the regular-season (261 games) and Stanley Cup playoffs series (10). While the teams last squared off in the playoffs in 1997, on the final day of the 2009-10 regular-season, the Flyers and Rangers played an historic “winner takes all” game to determine the lone remaining playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Tied 1-1 at the end of overtime, the Flyers prevailed in a shootout, starting their march to the conference championship.

ACHA: PENN STATE vs. NEUMANN, Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:00 p.m. ET

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2011/12/08/penn...#ixzz1g3CrTK7I

Quote:
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - As part of the 2012 Winter Classic festivities, the Penn State men's hockey team will head outdoors to Citizens Bank Park - home of Major League Baseball's Philadelphia Phillies - on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012 to face off against NCAA DIII Neumann University. Opening faceoff is scheduled at 8 p.m.

In its last year competing at the club level, Penn State (13-1-0) is the top-ranked team in the American Collegiate Hockey Association and will face a Neumann squad (5-3-0) that is ranked No. 15 in the USCHO.com Division III poll.

"As Penn State becomes a Division I Hockey school, what better way to make a statement than to compete on the largest stage in the State of Pennsylvania when they face off against Neumann University at Citizens Bank Park," said Comcast-Spectacor President Peter Luukko. "There are a tremendous number of Penn State alumni living in the Greater Philadelphia Region who are looking forward to this game. We are thrilled to host this game as part of a week-long celebration of hockey in Philadelphia. It will be great for the City and great for the school. We're really looking forward to welcoming Penn State Division I hockey to Philadelphia."

AHL: PHANTOMS vs. BEARS, Friday, January 6, at 7:00 p.m. ET

Quote:
TV info: Comcast Network will air the AHL outdoor game between Phantoms & Bears on Jan. 6. Brian Smith and Ian Laperriere will call the game.

Source: PhillySports Daily
http://www.phantomshockey.com/pages/...s/20110926.asp

Quote:
It is an historic and proud day for the Adirondack Phantoms who have announced they will host and play their first ever outdoor game in franchise history. The Phantoms will be part of the NHL Winter Classic week-long celebration of hockey when they play the Hershey Bears at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, PA, on Friday, January 6.

"This is an extremely exciting day for the Phantoms organization and Phantoms fans everywhere," said Phantoms President Rob Brooks. "A hockey celebration and atmosphere unlike anything the AHL has ever seen will happen at Citizens Bank Park. We are extremely grateful to (Comcast Spectacor President) Peter Luukko for helping make this truly great event a reality."

It was also announced that the Philadelphia Flyers will play the New York Rangers in the NHL's annual Winter Classic at Citizens Bank Park on Monday, January 2. This is the fifth NHL Winter Classic but the first ever to also feature an AHL outdoor game as part of the festivities.

"The American Hockey League has a strong following in the region and it will be a terrific experience for Pennsylvania hockey fans as the historic Phantoms-Bears rivalry is renewed outdoors at Citizens Bank Park," said David Andrews, AHL President and Chief Executive Officer.

"We are thrilled to join with the Philadelphia Flyers in adding AHL hockey to their outdoor showcase."

The Phantoms and Bears will also wear specially designed jerseys honoring the significance of the Outdoor Classic, similar to the fantastic jerseys the NHL teams have worn in their Winter Classic games.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-23-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old
07-30-2011, 09:00 AM
JVR21
G

Yeah, what the hell is going on? I'm pretty sure the last few Winter Classics have been officially announced in July.

Old
07-30-2011, 09:12 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I thought I read somewhere they were watching the Lockout, cause they wanted the Link but couldn't get it because of the NFL season going on during the Winter Classic. So my guess is they were waiting to see if the NFL would cancel the season and the Link would be available. Since it obviously isn't anymore, I would assume they're finishing up minor things w/ Citizens Bank Park before the announcement.

Last I heard the Rangers didn't like it cause they were already traveling to Europe in October. But who knows.

Old
07-30-2011, 09:14 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I thought I read somewhere they were watching the Lockout, cause they wanted the Link but couldn't get it because of the NFL season going on during the Winter Classic. So my guess is they were waiting to see if the NFL would cancel the season and the Link would be available. Since it obviously isn't anymore, I would assume they're finishing up minor things w/ Citizens Bank Park before the announcement.

Last I heard the Rangers didn't like it cause they were already traveling to Europe in October. But who knows.
Oh man. Traveling all the way to Philadelphia must be brutal .

Old
07-30-2011, 09:30 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Oh man. Traveling all the way to Philadelphia must be brutal .
Traveling to Europe and back in a few days is brutal. I work with a guy that travels to Europe every 6 months and he'll usually come back Friday/Saturday, and takes Monday, sometimes Tuesday off. And with all the hoopla that's around the Winter Classic, the Rangers don't want to deal with it in a 3 month time span while other teams don't do any kind of special event all season. And considering most of the teams in the league get to do nothing and stick to their standard "travel, practice, game" with nothing different in between, I don't blame them. As a team owner or such, I wouldn't want anything that could be considered distracting. And considering how close the 5th - 8th spots usually are, those 3 games could make a big difference.

To be honest, if it was happening to the Flyers, I wouldn't be happy about it either.

Old
07-30-2011, 10:06 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1347
The most recent documented speculation was approximately two weeks ago and that mentioned the Phillies and the NHL were discussing financial issues (source: Delco Times). The article was posted in the thread discussing the possible Penn State outdoor hockey game.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-03-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Sentence structure
Old
07-30-2011, 10:30 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
TSN already has it listed on their calendar.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/

Old
07-31-2011, 03:53 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Another source confirming what was mentioned above, that the Phillies and NHL are in negotiations. This is from Larry Brooks' Sunday column:

Quote:
Contracts still are being finalized between the NHL and the Phillies’ ballpark. That’s why there’s been no announcement about the Winter Classic, but we’re told that Rangers-Flyers outdoors on Jan. 2 is not in jeopardy.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islan...#ixzz1TibCLL28

Old
07-31-2011, 06:16 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Awesome, thanks for the update.

Old
07-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Icedog2735

Thanks for the update

Old
08-03-2011, 08:00 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Gormley has info...

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...t%7CSports%7Cp

Quote:
Flyers fans eager to know details about the 2012 Winter Classic will need to keep waiting as the NHL continues negotiations with the Phillies and Citizens Bank Park.

The Flyers and New York Rangers are scheduled to play outdoors at 1 p.m. Monday, Jan. 2, but no further details of the event have been released.

Flyers president Peter Luukko, the driving force behind Philadelphia's bid for the Winter Classic, confirmed Tuesday night that games featuring the American Hockey League's Adirondack Phantoms and Penn State University men's hockey team are in the works.
Quote:
Luukko pointed out that even though the Winter Classic is a Flyers home game, the event is being run by the NHL and not the Flyers. He made assurances, however, that there will be more than enough tickets allotted to Flyers season ticket holders.

"That's part of the deal,"' Luukko said.

Citizens Bank Park holds an estimated 45,000 fans and once the proper ticket amounts are allotted to each team, the NHL is expected to conduct an online lottery for the remaining tickets.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:46 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Oh thank god, I just don't wanna go to the Linc.

Old
08-03-2011, 05:27 PM
OttawaOilFan

Any of you know how many tickets season seat holders will be offered?

Old
08-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaOilFan View Post
Any of you know how many tickets season seat holders will be offered?
Based on the past, it should a guaranteed offer to buy the same number of seats you have in the arena. Then there could be a nominal lottery specific to STH. Most additional allocations to the Flyers, though, will likely go to a general fan lottery.
Figure the NHL for 10,000-12,000 tickets (including their fan lottery), the Rangers for 8,000-12,000 tickets and the Flyers for the rest (approx. 20,000-25,000), minus a handful to the Phillies. I posted a likely breakdown based on recent past numbers (that had visitors' allotments) months ago, but I can't readily find it.

Old
08-04-2011, 06:36 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

i know tickets are gonna be crazy but it'll be worth it. its an event. btw, i know it won't happen but how awesome would a flyers alumni game with the legion of doom reunited be? maybe a little mark howe back there. hexy comes back.(we'd probably get stuck with bob froese) Tocchet cant play cause he cheated on us with pittsburgh.

Old
08-04-2011, 06:49 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i know tickets are gonna be crazy but it'll be worth it. its an event. btw, i know it won't happen but how awesome would a flyers alumni game with the legion of doom reunited be? maybe a little mark howe back there. hexy comes back.(we'd probably get stuck with bob froese) Tocchet cant play cause he cheated on us with pittsburgh.
would be ridiculously amazing to see Gretzky, Messier, Lindros, and Leclair on the ice at the same time again

Old
08-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
would be ridiculously amazing to see Gretzky, Messier, Lindros, and Leclair on the ice at the same time again
Do you think Lindros would play in that game wearing O&B?... IMO, he'd be more likely on the Rangers' side of the ice. But he'd probably not participate at all.

Old
08-04-2011, 09:56 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Do you think Lindros would play in that game wearing O&B?... IMO, he'd be more likely on the Rangers' side of the ice. But he'd probably not participate at all.
uhhhh......what????

Old
08-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
uhhhh......what????
I said; "Do you think Lindros would play in that game wearing O&B?... IMO, he'd be more likely on the Rangers' side of the ice. But he'd probably not participate at all"

Old
08-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Said another way:

Do you think Lindros would play in that the old timers game at the Winter Classic on the Flyers' team?... IMO, he'd be more likely on the Rangers' side of the ice rather thn as a Flyer if he does play. But I honestly believe that he'd probably turn down any request for him to participate in the old timers game.

Old
08-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
We need to get Recchi. Failing that, the Legion of Doom needs to be re-united.

08-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We need to get Recchi. Failing that, the Legion of Doom needs to be re-united.
I'd like to see the Broad Street Bullies reunited en mass... or as many as they can bring in... and have Shultz pummel Dale Rolfe again as the rest of the Rangers take breather and watch.

... But seriously, I would like the Bullies there.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:30 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
I said; "Do you think Lindros would play in that game wearing O&B?... IMO, he'd be more likely on the Rangers' side of the ice. But he'd probably not participate at all"
why would he be more likely to play for the rangers? does he have ultra-fond memories of those three mediocre seasons he played there?

Old
08-05-2011, 12:39 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
why would he be more likely to play for the rangers? does he have ultra-fond memories of those three mediocre seasons he played there?
Well, he didn't have a disastrous relationship with their management and refuse to sign or negotiate a contract with them while under their control, thus forcing a trade after sitting out... and since those are the only two choices for the WC Old Timers Game, I figure the Rangers chances have to be higher than zero... which has to be the Flyers chances of Lindros playing for them.

... But remember I did say at the end that I believed he wouldn't play for either in that game.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:43 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Well, he didn't have a disastrous relationship with their management and refuse to sign or negotiate a contract with them while under their control, thus forcing a trade after sitting out... and since those are the only two choices for the WC Old Timers Game, I figure the Rangers chances have to be higher than zero... which has to be the Flyers chances of Lindros playing for them.

... But remember I did say at the end that I believed he wouldn't play for either in that game.
well, yeah, but as stated before, wouldn't this be a perfect opportunity for clarke and lindros to kiss and make up? at least for the cameras? the fans are long since over it.

Closed Thread