HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Robin Lehner goes bonkers

Old
01-03-2012, 11:18 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
While i agree he should not have left the crease but i don't agree the suspension should be lengthy 3 games is about right.
Why not? Leaving the crease is an automatic game isn't it? At the very least I believe it is a penalty. He shoved 2 officials. He was basically trying to create unnecessary trouble. He got nothing. Only abuse of officials.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:52 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Why not? Leaving the crease is an automatic game isn't it? At the very least I believe it is a penalty. He shoved 2 officials. He was basically trying to create unnecessary trouble. He got nothing. Only abuse of officials.
Agreed. Definitely just a slap on the wrist.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:59 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
There were around 8 players fighting so in one way you could say the ref had lost a bit of control of the game so no i don't think you can say Lehner was trying to create trouble as for the Syracuse goalie at first he did get very close and it did look like he was thinking about getting involved then backed off.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:26 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
There were around 8 players fighting so in one way you could say the ref had lost a bit of control of the game so no i don't think you can say Lehner was trying to create trouble as for the Syracuse goalie at first he did get very close and it did look like he was thinking about getting involved then backed off.
Which was a smart move by him.

Old
01-04-2012, 11:31 AM

WorSharks goalie Tyson Sexsmith got into a fight last season in the ECHL and broke his hand costing him most of the rest of the season.

And I can't believe someone in this thread said line brawls should be disallowed, as if they're allowed under the rules. Look up "secondary altercation" in the rule book that was posted, my friend...

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:56 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Goalie fights are fun and makes brawls over the top fun. As long as no one is getting killed out there as in a tough guy beating on a softy non fighter.

Either disallow line brawls all together or allow goalies to join the action too. You aren't an idiot for wanting to throw down too. Goalies are part of the team on the ice.
Couple things:

It would be stupid to have your goalie fight and injure himself.

Nobody said they aren't allowed but h e was clearly looking for nothing but trouble. It's one thing if the other goalie was also interested but he wasn't even looking in his direction.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:45 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3XAR...ayer_embedded#!

What a moron. The other goalie was sitting back towards his crease just watching the events take place. Wonder how long he will be suspended?
Did you post this after seeing my facebook post? haha

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:50 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Did you post this after seeing my facebook post? haha
Guilty as charged.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:52 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Leaving your crease is an automatic game misconduct. The remainder of that game that is. Not the following game.

As for what i think of this suspension...i'll take parts from my post on the sens board:

"You always see players trying to free themselves from linesman. I would say about half the fights, as soon as a linesman puts one arm in, they stop. The other half, they're still pulling and tearing and trying to get a swing at the other player while the linesman holds them. Lehner did no differently then say...mcgrattan trying to get at downie when he hit mcammond. Look at any brawl, or even a single fight, and you will see a player trying to get away from the grip of a linesman half the time. Why give lehner 3 games, but not other guys who do the same thing? I'll show you one example, the mcgrattan one...but there are 100s and 100s, if not 1000s of cases over the years where a linesman gets in the way to stop a fight, and the fighters keep trying to fight while the linesmen are trying to separate it. Here's an example...no suspension:

According to the lehner suspension, at 0:36 of this video, there should be half a dozen suspensions handed out as it seems every ref and linesman is trying to separate players but players are "pulling away" to continue fighting. and Mcgrattan at 1:08 is different then lehner how?"

Lehner did not engage with the official. The official engaged him.He did not strike the official. He did not push the official. He pulled away. Players pull away from officials on about 50% of fights and about 99% of brawls. Why is there a suspension only on this instance?

Old
01-04-2012, 01:23 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Leaving your crease is an automatic game misconduct. The remainder of that game that is. Not the following game.

As for what i think of this suspension...i'll take parts from my post on the sens board:

"You always see players trying to free themselves from linesman. I would say about half the fights, as soon as a linesman puts one arm in, they stop. The other half, they're still pulling and tearing and trying to get a swing at the other player while the linesman holds them. Lehner did no differently then say...mcgrattan trying to get at downie when he hit mcammond. Look at any brawl, or even a single fight, and you will see a player trying to get away from the grip of a linesman half the time. Why give lehner 3 games, but not other guys who do the same thing? I'll show you one example, the mcgrattan one...but there are 100s and 100s, if not 1000s of cases over the years where a linesman gets in the way to stop a fight, and the fighters keep trying to fight while the linesmen are trying to separate it. Here's an example...no suspension:

According to the lehner suspension, at 0:36 of this video, there should be half a dozen suspensions handed out as it seems every ref and linesman is trying to separate players but players are "pulling away" to continue fighting. and Mcgrattan at 1:08 is different then lehner how?"

Lehner did not engage with the official. The official engaged him.He did not strike the official. He did not push the official. He pulled away. Players pull away from officials on about 50% of fights and about 99% of brawls. Why is there a suspension only on this instance?
A suspension likely occured because he came from his own end of the ice to get involved, they probably felt it was an unnecessary move. He went out of his way clearly to be engaged in the matter.

Old
01-04-2012, 01:55 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
A suspension likely occured because he came from his own end of the ice to get involved, they probably felt it was an unnecessary move. He went out of his way clearly to be engaged in the matter.
But leaving the crease rule is only a game misconduct. They can't use that as a reason to suspend someone. There's already a rule with a penalty associated with that action.

Leaving the crease...game ejection...i get that.

But suspension for trying to get away from the ref? Players do that all the time with no suspension.

In fact, look at the video again...In the opening seconds you see 29 in black trying to get away from the linesman EXACTLY like lehner did. Why isn't 29 suspended for 3 games for trying to pull away from an official?

Also, why the F is a ref getting involved? The linesmen are bigger because they're supposed to separate fights...not refs. The ref is literally standing there watching fights happen, but then sprints in a b-line to stop lehner? What gives?

Old
01-04-2012, 03:22 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Which was a smart move by him.
Sure but they could be part of the reason Lehner did do what he did.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 05:58 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I do remember in that brawl I mentioned on page one, the ref just calmly standing there during the fracas, writing notes on a pad as to whom he was going to give what.

GarbageGoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 06:35 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
The other goalie was more like a scared coward. It's a 2 team full brawl. You get challenged by the other goalie who skated over to you, you meet him at center. Kid probably asked the ref that he didn't wanna fight and couldn't defend himself and to stop Lehner. Only explanation there.

Otherwise ref is an idiot because there is no reason to be standing in a corner spectating a brawl just to rush to stop one party while others are doing the same thing.

Ref's aren't supposed to get into the middle of a brawl. The linesmen are the ones to break up the fight unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. This allows the referee to take numbers and punish those accordingly. It'd be useless to get into the mayhem as those who acted in various manners may not get punished for their actions.

The Brewmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:06 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
Ref's aren't supposed to get into the middle of a brawl. The linesmen are the ones to break up the fight unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. This allows the referee to take numbers and punish those accordingly. It'd be useless to get into the mayhem as those who acted in various manners may not get punished for their actions.
Except in this case the two linesmen are dealing with the full line brawl and you have the moron that is Lehner skating down the ice while JDD isn't even looking. I don't have a problem with the ref stepping in and stopping him.

As for the ref taking numbers, it's pretty darn simple. Everyone on the ice is involved in a fight, so all 10 skaters get 5 for fighting. Once the mess is cleared, the ref and linesmen can meet to see about any further penalties to individuals.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote