HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Is this the Tavares that you were expecting?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2012, 07:00 PM
  #1
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Is this the Tavares that you were expecting?

Mods, move this if necessary:

Entering the draft in '09, and when the Islanders did actually draft him, I thought they were drafting a pure goal scorer. I know that he was incredibly well rounded in the 2009 WJC, but that was junior hockey on a stacked team. Pound for pound, he just might be the top center in the game. I know that may sound overboard to some, but he makes incredible plays, and no one really gets him the puck. If he had someone to feed him, and someone to dish to, he'd crack 100 points quite easily and quite evenly. He is very much like Bryan Trottier, in my opinion. Trottier was better in the defensive zone, but in the offensive zone, he is a lot like Trottier. If we finish low enough, or win the lottery, there's a pretty good winger (so I hear) named Filip Forsburg who is said to be insanely skilled and a great finisher.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:15 PM
  #2
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Big Brock
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,427
vCash: 500
No, Tavares is not the type of player I expected him to be when he was drafted.

I expected him to be a bad defensive player, who can only score goals and be limited with his playmaking. What I really expected was an 80 point player, who can get 40 goals and at most 35-45 assists. He's so much better than that. He can be a 50 goal scorer and maybe get 50-65 assists in his prime.

I guess it's his playmaking that really shocked me. He's incredible with his passing abilities.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:48 PM
  #3
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,654
vCash: 500
I agree. Very very impressed with his playmaking and creativity.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
  #4
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,322
vCash: 500
He a COMPLETE player.....He does everything good.......and his hands and playmaking ability is unreal....Hes a Magician

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:58 PM
  #5
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
No, Tavares is not the type of player I expected him to be when he was drafted.

I expected him to be a bad defensive player, who can only score goals and be limited with his playmaking. What I really expected was an 80 point player, who can get 40 goals and at most 35-45 assists. He's so much better than that. He can be a 50 goal scorer and maybe get 50-65 assists in his prime.

I guess it's his playmaking that really shocked me. He's incredible with his passing abilities.
I kept arguing, that so long as Tavares was willing to work hard to improve his defense and skating,that he would be ok at the NHL level.

He's been better then I expected.Stronger protecting the puck and a far better skater.

Also,I love his character.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:03 PM
  #6
Riddick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
a LOT better in the playmaking department, much improved in the skating department, still needs a bit of improvement in the finishing department.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:23 PM
  #7
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,695
vCash: 500
Better.

Put him with better than AHL players and maybe he can do quite a bit more.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:35 PM
  #8
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Better.

Put him with better than AHL players and maybe he can do quite a bit more.
I wouldn't say he's with AHL players, but he could use at least one better winger. I have no problem with him playing on a line with Moulson OR Parenteau, but putting him with both just isn't fair to Tavares. Moulson finishes, and I'm coll with that. Parenteau is a good winger, but not a first line winger. I'd love to see him with all around above average wingers or winger, and that would be great for him.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:38 PM
  #9
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
He's such an easy guy to build a team around. Yet management (really ownership) refuses to do it.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:55 PM
  #10
Islanderfan17
Registered User
 
Islanderfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 500
He is the ****ing man, that's really all I have to say.

When he scores at the Coliseum I bow down to him, he deserves it.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:09 PM
  #11
On Edge
Registered User
 
On Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,976
vCash: 500
much more well rounded and tougher than I expected. Just blossoming into a true star in the league. Just imagine him with a couple of top shelf linemates. KO is a step in right direction. Now lets figure out a way to aqcuire that type of talent he deserves to line up next to.

Just a note...I just saw my avatar was highjacked from one of our mods lol. Pretty girl in a bikini is off limits I guess...oh well. I didn't know that would be offensive.

I'll figure something else out I guess!

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:13 PM
  #12
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)
 
NYI JT91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mastic, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
He a COMPLETE player.....He does everything good.......and his hands and playmaking ability is unreal....Hes a Magician
Yes sir. +1

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:13 PM
  #13
isleskovalchuk
Registered User
 
isleskovalchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
better! he is a complete player in his third year in the league, its unreal

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:14 PM
  #14
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,692
vCash: 500
I expected JT to be good and to get better ever year. He has that same insane work ethic and drive that Crosby has. He expects to be better ever time he's on the ice and when he isn't he gets pissed at himself and works harder.

Mark my words: he will get better yet. He's just scratching the surface. I've been a huge fan for a long time and was so excited when we got him. He doesn't get the props in the hockey media yet, but he will before long.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:16 PM
  #15
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
I wouldn't say he's with AHL players, but he could use at least one better winger. I have no problem with him playing on a line with Moulson OR Parenteau, but putting him with both just isn't fair to Tavares. Moulson finishes, and I'm coll with that. Parenteau is a good winger, but not a first line winger. I'd love to see him with all around above average wingers or winger, and that would be great for him.
It's an exaggeration for effect. He needs to be with a better supporting cast beginning with a real first line wing. No worry though, there's a pregnant woman in Boston Garth is keeping an eye on. See, SnoWang is all over it with their dedication to the team and the fan base.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:23 PM
  #16
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
I expected JT to be good and to get better ever year. He has that same insane work ethic and drive that Crosby has. He expects to be better ever time he's on the ice and when he isn't he gets pissed at himself and works harder.

Mark my words: he will get better yet. He's just scratching the surface. I've been a huge fan for a long time and was so excited when we got him. He doesn't get the props in the hockey media yet, but he will before long.
I was about to say, he is comparable to Crosby. Crosby is a little bit better, honestly, because does have an intangible, an "aura", if you will. But I was going to compare him to Crosby. Tavares is an elite player.

And he will bet better, yet, as you say.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:25 PM
  #17
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
It's an exaggeration for effect. He needs to be with a better supporting cast beginning with a real first line wing. No worry though, there's a pregnant woman in Boston Garth is keeping an eye on. See, SnoWang is all over it with their dedication to the team and the fan base.
I know. And that's funny. I don't care if that pregnant woman is carrying a prodigious zygote, nothing good comes from Boston. I hate that city and everyone in it.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:33 PM
  #18
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
I know. And that's funny. I don't care if that pregnant woman is carrying a prodigious zygote, nothing good comes from Boston. I hate that city and everyone in it.
Hey man, I live in Boston.

As for JT, I echo everything that has already been said. He is only going to get better which is scary. He will be a top-6 forward for Team Canada in 2014 and I wouldn't be surprised to see him lead the Olympics in scoring.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:45 PM
  #19
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 9,995
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
The only aspects I'm surprised by are both positive and negative.

Positive: Strength, puck protection, and determination. Honestly, I had the image of JT that he was a floater at times, and more a recipient of other player's work. More of a passenger. Thankfully, it's the other way around. No Alex Yashin star this time around.

Negative: Finish, I thought he would be a more pure finisher. His stick handling is pure, but finishing I am not so sure.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:47 PM
  #20
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Big Brock
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
The only aspects I'm surprised by are both positive and negative.

Positive: Strength, puck protection, and determination. Honestly, I had the image of JT that he was a floater at times, and more a recipient of other player's work. More of a passenger. Thankfully, it's the other way around. No Alex Yashin star this time around.

Negative: Finish, I thought he would be a more pure finisher. His stick handling is pure, but finishing I am not so sure.
You're a poet, and you don't even know it!!

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:48 PM
  #21
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 9,995
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
You're a poet, and you don't even know it!!

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:07 PM
  #22
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Not that every other GM in the NHL won't have the same interest, but if he isn't extended by July 1st, Chuckles and Garth should roll a dump truck full of money and JT highlight reels up to Zach Parise's house.

I may live in Miami, but a move like that might get me to buy season tix anyway.


Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:08 PM
  #23
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,011
vCash: 500
Honestly no. I knew he was a good playmaker, but I didn't know he was an elite playmaker. Behind the net, the guy is damn near Gretzky like in his ability to retain control of the puck & make fantastic passes. I'm past marveling, I'm actually laughing everytime I see him make an incredible pass. He has Gretzky like vision & hockey sense as well.

Don't confuse my praise with saying I think he's the second coming or anything, but my gosh, his ability to get the puck to his teamates is head and shoulders above nearly everyone in the league.

I also never thought that it was even possible to improve his skating this much. It isn't that his skating is just acceptable now. I'd say he's an above average skater now. Truly remarkable how much he's improved.

I did however think he'd score more goals, but this has a lot to do with the fact that no one is really dishing the puck to him. Give him a true 1st line winger with some playmaking ability & JT scores 100 points in a season. Without that 1st liner (no disrespect to KO, MM or PAP) and he'll score 80 points.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:11 PM
  #24
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Not that every other GM in the NHL won't have the same interest, but if he isn't extended by July 1st, Chuckles and Garth should roll a dump truck full of money and JT highlight reels up to Zach Parise's house.

I may live in Miami, but a move like that might get me to buy season tix anyway.

I've been so much infavor of that move, I wouldn't have even been upset had they given him an offer sheet & given up the 4 first round picks.

Parise is probably the perfect player to add to this team.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:13 PM
  #25
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Big Brock
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Not that every other GM in the NHL won't have the same interest, but if he isn't extended by July 1st, Chuckles and Garth should roll a dump truck full of money and JT highlight reels up to Zach Parise's house.

I may live in Miami, but a move like that might get me to buy season tix anyway.

Law, you know he signed a six year extension in the offseason right? Unless you're being sarcastic in which case... I suck

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.